AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2007-12-23, 23:53   Link #1
TDRKZ
Asa all the way

Dream of Mirror Online

Dream of Mirror Online just came out of Closed Beta a while back and contains a ton of content while quickly adding more. While many of you may have played a fair share of MMO's by now, DOMO has a lot to offer you. One of the biggest features of DOMO is its relationship creator. While running through town you'll sometimes get attacked by the red string of fate. This designates that the person that attached to you may be a lover, a friend, teacher, or rival. Each of these titles can give special skills and benefits when partying together. Beyond that, it is a great way to get people to talk to each other. I found that I at least went up and said hi to the people I got red lined by. Also, DOMO has a great subclass setup where you can have multiple classes at the same time under a single character. You switch between classes to level them up separately. Then you can combine skill trees to create the ultimate character or switch between trees depending on what you are planning on doing.

DOMO is completely free and waiting for you. Graphics are great and one of the only games where everything is cell shaded adding to the anime like effect. Cute characters, new features, great service. Come give it a try.

http://domo.aeriagames.com/
TDRKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-24, 20:06   Link #2
Archuka
A territory most absolute

Looks a lot like Flyff, in other words: grind grind grind!

Meh, Koreans can't design MMOs. They're all glorified chat rooms with cool characters but horribly primitive gameplay that consists of grinding and grinding only.
Archuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-25, 01:20   Link #3
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archuka View Post

Meh, Koreans can't design MMOs. They're all glorified chat rooms with cool characters but horribly primitive gameplay that consists of grinding and grinding only.
Isn't DOMO developed by the Chinese?

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-25, 02:04   Link #4
rg4619

Quote:
Isn't DOMO developed by the Chinese?
Yeah, it's by a Taiwanese company - probably the most prolific RPG developer there.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 14:00   Link #5
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

And it's hardly a grind. I mean I got to level 24 Blademaster in the Closed Beta in like 4 days of casual play... Try doing THAT in FlyFF. :P

I love DOMO myself. I'm Nanashi (Felin) and Nazo (Slyph) but due to grounded I haven't played in like a month... /sigh
Old 2007-12-26, 16:35   Link #6
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
And it's hardly a grind. I mean I got to level 24 Blademaster in the Closed Beta in like 4 days of casual play... Try doing THAT in FlyFF. :P
Flyff isn't all that bad until you get to about 50 or so. 1-30 in 4 days only playing maybe 2 hours a day is possible, but you need to know what you're doing. The thing with flyff, the updates seem more like downgrades... They're slowly taking out everything that made the game fun...

As for DOMO, my comp can't run it... I'll probably try it again when i get a decent system.
Old 2007-12-27, 15:00   Link #7
krisslanza

FlyFF made me crazy @_@;
Getting like less then .10% a kill... xD;

Luckily DOMO's cel-shading allows it to LOOK graphically impressive, without actually being all that straining. You can also use a command (I forget which) that disables all other players so it helps if you lag badly in town
Old 2007-12-27, 15:42   Link #8
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
FlyFF made me crazy @_@;
Getting like less then .10% a kill... xD;
Yeah, but it's not that bad until later levels. Though personally I think they've been lowering the exp you get per kill with each version... Plus the party system is completely screwed up and they added deleveling in v9. Sometimes I wonder why I play that game...

Quote:
Luckily DOMO's cel-shading allows it to LOOK graphically impressive, without actually being all that straining. You can also use a command (I forget which) that disables all other players so it helps if you lag badly in town
My system apparently doesn't have enough ram. It meets the minimum requirments listed, but I get all kinds of memory errors when I try to run it. I got as far as the character creation, but after that it just stops. I could upgrade my ram and it should work fine, but that's putting money into it that could be better spent on a replacement. Besides I dont' really need another mmo right now. One wastes my time well enough.
Old 2007-12-27, 15:47   Link #9
krisslanza

I ask myself that all the time for many other things
"WHY am I playing this again?"

You should get more RAM anyway. More RAM is always good...
Old 2007-12-27, 17:01   Link #10
kadenza

this is the only grind based mmo im playing at the moment, mind u im on the european version

some links :
www.gametribe.com [for the eu version]
domocamp.com [a fansite]

for a f2p its pretty sweet imo, combo's. triple classing and job change wenever, plot and cut scense, decent music, loadsa proffesions [will b something like 10 or 12 once all are implemented]and non combat proffesions [farming, fishing, wood cutting etc], pets, monster trapping thing [slightly like pokemon],nice guild features, flying, dungeons etc etc

if ur looking for a f2p mmo i would suggest giving this 1 a shot
kadenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-28, 10:20   Link #11
kadenza

Quote:

so wats the big difference between western and eastern mmo's? hmm lets eee....hardly anything at all, WoW and nearly every other wetern mmo require grind too, and domo isnt designed by koreans if u wer referring to it, and as for ur closing statement - care to back that up with any actual fact?

dont come on here and post crappy basless stereotypes

p.s. it doesnt look like flyff, yes u can fly it but u can fly in wow also, so i guess wow looks alot like flyff too?
Old 2007-12-28, 15:06   Link #12
krisslanza

The thing I dislike the most about DOMO was that stupid company that wants the EU servers seperated from the US... One of my best (online) friends lives in EU. If he wants to play with me he has to run through a proxy... Darn EU company >o>
Old 2007-12-28, 19:41   Link #13
kadenza

Quote:
The thing I dislike the most about DOMO was that stupid company that wants the EU servers seperated from the US... One of my best (online) friends lives in EU. If he wants to play with me he has to run through a proxy... Darn EU company >o>
it wasnt the eu companies fault it was the wish of the companie that licensed the game to both Na and Eu hosts to hav the ip block, this rumor seems more like aggressive marketing tactic by the NA hosts imo
Old 2007-12-29, 21:21   Link #14
Archuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadenza View Post
so wats the big difference between western and eastern mmo's? hmm lets eee....hardly anything at all, WoW and nearly every other wetern mmo require grind too, and domo isnt designed by koreans if u wer referring to it, and as for ur closing statement - care to back that up with any actual fact?

dont come on here and post crappy basless stereotypes

p.s. it doesnt look like flyff, yes u can fly it but u can fly in wow also, so i guess wow looks alot like flyff too?
The differences are huge.

Ok, so DOMO is a Chinese game, but it still looks very Korean. Basically, you you go to field X filled with monsters of type Y and kill them for Z hours until you can move to field X2 filled with monsters of type Y2 and kill them for Z2 hours and so on.

There is a large emphasis on solo PVE and repeatedly killing the same enemy and the combat system is very auto-attack oriented.

Then we have the primitive UI and controls that haven't progressed since the birth of the genre. Controls are almost always entirely mouse based (bad) and key binding is limited (bad). Every single Korean MMORPG I've ever played has fulfilled these criteria.

Ragnarok Online, FlyFF, Archlord and even to some extent Lineage. And there have been a few others but I can't remember their names as these games tend to be so utterly forgettable.

It's a pity, really, as asian MMORPGs tend to be artistically way ahead of Western MMORPGs and they also tend to have certain innovations that Westerners really could learn from. If only they could get the normal game play right instead of relying on the addiction to raising your level and stats... Monotonous one-button-mashing marathons do not a good game make. I guess there is no need to change as long as people keep paying for the same game in a new disguise over and over.
Old 2007-12-30, 17:54   Link #15
krisslanza

The problem is Asian MMORPGs... They love grinds. They prefer graphics and such over any sort of innotivate or ground-breaking play system.

But really, even Western MMORPGs are the same. They might seem different but it's just the same thing (aside from a few such as Guild Wars or Fury for example). Go to Area X, kill monster Y, for Z hours. Then move on. All MMOs have some sort of grind, without them there wouldn't be any reason to keep playing if you could get everything quickly.
Old 2008-01-01, 09:26   Link #16
kadenza

Quote:
The differences are huge.

Ok, so DOMO is a Chinese game, but it still looks very Korean. Basically, you you go to field X filled with monsters of type Y and kill them for Z hours until you can move to field X2 filled with monsters of type Y2 and kill them for Z2 hours and so on.

There is a large emphasis on solo PVE and repeatedly killing the same enemy and the combat system is very auto-attack oriented.

Then we have the primitive UI and controls that haven't progressed since the birth of the genre. Controls are almost always entirely mouse based (bad) and key binding is limited (bad). Every single Korean MMORPG I've ever played has fulfilled these criteria.

Ragnarok Online, FlyFF, Archlord and even to some extent Lineage. And there have been a few others but I can't remember their names as these games tend to be so utterly forgettable.

It's a pity, really, as asian MMORPGs tend to be artistically way ahead of Western MMORPGs and they also tend to have certain innovations that Westerners really could learn from. If only they could get the normal game play right instead of relying on the addiction to raising your level and stats... Monotonous one-button-mashing marathons do not a good game make. I guess there is no need to change as long as people keep paying for the same game in a new disguise over and over.
again ur post fails, u fail to prove or give real examples in any of ur statements, i guess im supposed to accept it cos u say so? lol. face it most western and eastern mmo's r practically the same in essence, id like to know these o so innovative and skill based western mmo's u speak of, bar GW i cant think of any myself. O yeah, most western mmo's make u pay to spend hours grinding in them while a LARGE amount of asian mmo's dont.

anyway, i quit domo, cant b asked to lvl, back to GW for me
Old 2008-01-01, 22:42   Link #17
Archuka

Quote:
again ur post fails, u fail to prove or give real examples in any of ur statements, i guess im supposed to accept it cos u say so? lol. face it most western and eastern mmo's r practically the same in essence, id like to know these o so innovative and skill based western mmo's u speak of, bar GW i cant think of any myself. O yeah, most western mmo's make u pay to spend hours grinding in them while a LARGE amount of asian mmo's dont.
What part of my post could you not read? I gave you a whole handful of examples. You know what part about WoW reminds me of Korean MMORPGs? Grinding money by killing elementals. It's a very common practice because the license for flying mounts is insanely expensive. Basically, you go out (on your own) and kill (grind) elementals for hours and hours. Solo PVE (player versus environment) isn't exactly rocket science or terribly challenging. Monotonous, repetitive and boring are the words that come to mind.
Old 2008-01-01, 23:28   Link #18
westbluef
The Jesting Fool

But that's the point of MMORPG basically most of the RPGs (either Western or Eastern) are level grinding and powering up to defeat the enemy It may sound a bit cliche but thats how RPGs have been and MMORPGs are online versions of these. If you wanted another type of online game try looking for MMOs next time not MMORPGs
Anyway back on topic:
I'm DL the game right now and it seems pretty interesting.
Old 2008-01-02, 11:40   Link #19
kadenza

Quote:
What part of my post could you not read? I gave you a whole handful of examples. You know what part about WoW reminds me of Korean MMORPGs? Grinding money by killing elementals. It's a very common practice because the license for flying mounts is insanely expensive. Basically, you go out (on your own) and kill (grind) elementals for hours and hours. Solo PVE (player versus environment) isn't exactly rocket science or terribly challenging. Monotonous, repetitive and boring are the words that come to mind.
actually u stated alot of things but havnt rly proved any of them, though ill give u that asian mmo's do tend to hav a harder grind and fewer options in general, but imo at the end of the day its all the same thing just in different guises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westbluef View Post
But that's the point of MMORPG basically most of the RPGs (either Western or Eastern) are level grinding and powering up to defeat the enemy It may sound a bit cliche but thats how RPGs have been and MMORPGs are online versions of these. If you wanted another type of online game try looking for MMOs next time not MMORPGs
Anyway back on topic:
I'm DL the game right now and it seems pretty interesting.
RPG = role playing game, it doesnt hav to be lvl and gear lvl based, personally im looking forward to the day they make mmo action-adventure/rpg games, like MGS/Zelda/Assasins Creed online or something, dont know if itll ever happen but i hope it does. If DOMO was out a year ago i would hav continued to play it but the Everquest2 model does nothing for me anymore, still the best f2p mmorpg out there imo and if uve got the time and will i would suggest it but keep in mind it is based on the evercrack model
Old 2008-01-02, 13:49   Link #20
westbluef
The Jesting Fool

Quote:
RPG = role playing game, it doesnt hav to be lvl and gear lvl based, personally im looking forward to the day they make mmo action-adventure/rpg games, like MGS/Zelda/Assasins Creed online or something, dont know if itll ever happen but i hope it does. If DOMO was out a year ago i would hav continued to play it but the Everquest2 model does nothing for me anymore, still the best f2p mmorpg out there imo and if uve got the time and will i would suggest it but keep in mind it is based on the evercrack model
Hmmmm....
Sorry bout' that I've forgotten about that part(blame the games that I have 90% are adventure and strategy RPGs )

Anyway, I still haven't seen an MMORPG that is different from the same old level grind . I've seen some MMOs that are different, but they're not as appealing imo.

Damn blackouts looks like I can't continue the dl for awhile...