AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-06-08, 05:53   Link #1
Haladflire65
*Artist

Cursing/Swearing

How much to you curse or swear? I've seen surprisingly little bad language on this forum, which is a great thing. But I have to confess that I'm constantly swearing (usually to myself), even if I'm a girl and all...

I don't really approve of swearing myself, even if I have to agree it sometimes does sound 'cool'.

Probably my cursing declined a little when I moved to Japan. Japan's a country with really mild language, unlike somewhere like Korea - cover your ears.

What's your opinion on swearing? I'd like to hear from some of the adults on Animesuki. Any parents?
Old 2009-06-08, 06:03   Link #2
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Well firstly, I find that in some part of this forum there is too much swearing like "Bicth" etc...And, personnaly, I find that unacceptable.

Secondly, I don't like swearing but when I'm angry I can swear many many times. In fact, In french, there is many many different type of swear >_>" . There is some that I never use or very very rarely because I find them really extrem like "Pute" etc...And some other that I use when I'm angry against someone or something such as "con" But I tend to be very carful when I talk and not to swear for no reason.

And I think that parent need to be very careful with that because of their children.
Old 2009-06-08, 06:20   Link #3
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

I don't swear, unless you guys count the word "damn" as a bad word just like my mom. I probably have to be like at my most angriest state if I were to swear, but then again at other cases I don't use curse words even when I do something wrong. Everybody else just mutters "sh*t" when something goes wrong.

It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Throne Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 06:48   Link #4
Mooglar

Send a message via AIM to Mooglar
I used to swear a lot but it's gone down thx partly to living in Okinawa, japan now since i've never even heard of anyone mentioning a swear word here, on another note there is a lot of swearing in the military but i guess it's a given =/
Mooglar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 06:58   Link #5
Tormenk

I have been cursing or swearing nearly every single day for the past few years. It's a bad habit I picked up but I do try to rein myself. Otherwise it's never directed at someone, I curse under my breath or in my mind to vent stress..does that make sense?

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Tormenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 07:05   Link #6
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Meh it really depends what you define as swearing. For example, like someone said above, about '' damn '', I find it weird that anyone can even consider it as bad O_o. My friends mum always was saying that my language has bad influence for her children, though the only word I'd ever use was damn x_X.

Well I do occasionally swear with worse words, but that's mainly when I'm playing and something doesn't go as I want to
Old 2009-06-08, 07:32   Link #7
Yotsuba
芸術は爆発だ!

I swear ALL THE TIME. It's really horrible, half the time I don't even notice. It's because my mother had an awful mouth, l so I grew up with it. She could make a sailor blush!

It's so bad, sometimes I honestly have to bite my tongue at times to keep myself from cursing around children, etc. It's like I have Tourette's or something.

I think being a girl has nothing to do with it. I'm a girl and I swear 100x more than most the guys I know. Also, when I lived in Japan, a lot of my girlfriends swore. I think it depends on who you associate with, obviously. Usually just things like "shinjimae!" "shimatta!" or "kuso!"

Of course, there are worse things you can say. Like "yariman" which is quite possibly the meanest thing you could call a girl. I don't ever suggest using it. Moreover, I don't consider "hell" to be a curse word.
Yotsuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 07:39   Link #8
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Cursing? Depends on where I'm talking. If I'm at college with my close friends we communicate through curses, if I'm talking with a professor or in forums, I always use proper language and try to avoid syntax and grammar errors as much as I can. When I'm at home I rarely curse at all (unless my father becomes seriously irritating), but I never reach the level of purposefully swearing to diminish someone else.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 08:38   Link #9
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
reminds me of the comedy sci-fi movie, Demolition Man,
where you always get a ticket fine from the law enforcement, everytime you Swear.
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 09:06   Link #10
KimmyChan

I only curse/swear when I get really angry about something, which is extremely rare nowadays
KimmyChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 09:51   Link #11
Irkalla
I asked for this

Depends entirely of who I'm talking to and what language I'm using. I can swear all I want with friends or family, even at work, but when it comes to business partners I obviously don't.

Swearing on forums kinda loses value because it's just a written word without any kind of feelings. You won't make as much of an impact as in rl, so it's kinda pointless.
Old 2009-06-08, 11:50   Link #12
Hs Vi Germania
Please call me "senpai":)
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Hs Vi Germania
Mostly if I swear I use "Damn it, damn it, damn it! (Verdammt, verdammt, verdammt!" .^^
Old 2009-06-08, 11:59   Link #13
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Mom swears when she's angry, Dad swears casually.

The result? I swear pretty regularly as well nowadays. It doesn't mean I don't know when to watch my mouth when necessary, though. I hold out around people I just met, or the elderly.

And I say "Oh snap!" over "Oh shit!" becuase it sounds cooler to me.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 12:01   Link #14
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

You wouldn't want to see me swear. Seriously.

I don't care who is standing in front of me, I open my mouth and just diss everyone off.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 12:30   Link #15
Yamada
Minori Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmyChan View Post
I only curse/swear when I get really angry about something, which is extremely rare nowadays
Yeah, that's generally how it is for me as well. I find it's better to just try and keep your cool and engage in civil conversation techniques instead of just cursing like a sailor. You come across as a more mature individual and ultimately people seem to respect you more.

I also agree with Haladflire65 in that it's a great thing that the AnimeSuki community has so little cursing. To be honest it's one of the key reasons I keep coming back here. Keep up the good work guys!
Yamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 12:36   Link #16
Lyreleaf
Inactive Member

I don't mind a little swearing, just as long as it's not too excessive. I, however, do not swear. "Darn!" is about as extreme as I get.
Lyreleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 12:43   Link #17
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
I find swearing extremely necessary and desirable.

Last edited by Kakashi; 2009-06-08 at 13:26. Reason: make that XXXtremely
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 12:51   Link #18
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'd like to not swear at all (at least the coarse words) because I feel like that's my brain failing to provide a more elegant solution in the heat of the moment.

(comments sound bleeped in honor of the US FCC :P )
My kids have corrupted me a bit -- I never used to use the 'f---' word and they use it on occasion. (They're both over 18 fyi). My wife swears more than I do but its confined to "s---" or "g-- damn son of a b----". She gets really offended at the use of the extra nasty words like "f---" or "c---" as she feels they're degrading of women.

My rule of thumb was my dad's rule of thumb. There are appropriate times and places for cursing. I distinctly remember the first time I swore in front of my dad (age 11ish). We were in the woods and I'd brushed against a stinging bull nettle (I suppose you could call them "land jellyfish"), leaped into the air and yelled "s---!!!". My dad didn't say a word other than "yeah, they're all over the place here"

One project I was on, one of the engineers cursed so much we believed he was physically unable to use a noun without the word "f---ing" in front of it. One of our more eloquent engineers (russian guy with the deep sardonic wit) challenged him "a dollar a curse word". He said "I can stop anytime I want" .... we ate and drank well every night for several weeks on his tab He did learn *how* not to curse (which was good during customer presentations :P)

But yeah... in general, I view casual and extremely coarse cursing as mental laziness. Shakespeare ladled some fabulous curses out with using the "7 words". (Though I completely agree with George Carlin's diatribe... but he also had an expansive vocabulary and rapier wit).

The other thing is that I, my wife, and both sons -- are not Christian. Therefore, it makes no sense to use 'g-- d--- it'.... but being raised in US Southern Bible Belt Christian communities those kinds of phrases are well entrenched in my head and my wife's head. The best I've managed to eliminate the 'g--' part. Culture puts in deep tentacles :P
Old 2009-06-08, 13:01   Link #19
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Do you hear people saying "dammit to the seven hells" or something along those lines? I overheard some tourists on the train today and I wonder what religion that came from o_0
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 13:29   Link #20
sa547
*Author

Some things when it comes to curses:

1. Never liked cursing right in front of my nephew and niece, even as my brother-in-law swears before them on a regular basis.
2. I curse only when really angry, or given a very bad surprise, or an electric shock.
3. The amount of curses might as well gauge someone's personality in terms of temper.