AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2013-06-14, 00:17   Link #3561
kazzuya13

Those who have too many screen time will most likely lose.
Old 2013-06-14, 10:43   Link #3562
darkchez11

it will be a surprise if kiyosumi will lose now lol
darkchez11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-14, 13:35   Link #3563
Marina2

Kiyosumi goes to the final round as the second place will be a nice change.

Achiga-hen manga has set the conflict between Awai and Shizuno. On side-b, Saki should have someone that can beat her in score go to the final round with her too for a dramatic effect.
Old 2013-06-14, 22:32   Link #3564
kazzuya13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
Kiyosumi goes to the final round as the second place will be a nice change.

Achiga-hen manga has set the conflict between Awai and Shizuno. On side-b, Saki should have someone that can beat her in score go to the final round with her too for a dramatic effect.
I don't want Saki to lose because most of the time. They are the one losing before Saki joined in the fray. So if Saki lost. The team lost and that is the responsibility of a captain.
Old 2013-06-15, 01:20   Link #3565
The Green One

It does seem plausible though that something is going to happen to Saki leaving her badly shaken during the match. Sure she'll still qualify for the finals but she may very well lose something along the way that might cause the hinted friction between Nodoka and Saki.

Or maybe that so called friction is a symbolic red herring that will ultimately mean nothing that we're blowing way out of proportion. Ah speculation you tease you.
The Green One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 01:42   Link #3566
kazzuya13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
It does seem plausible though that something is going to happen to Saki leaving her badly shaken during the match. Sure she'll still qualify for the finals but she may very well lose something along the way that might cause the hinted friction between Nodoka and Saki.

Or maybe that so called friction is a symbolic red herring that will ultimately mean nothing that we're blowing way out of proportion. Ah speculation you tease you.
Maybe Saki will use the +-0 score again. And will make Nodoka mad.
Old 2013-06-19, 20:45   Link #3567
Ura-dora

So what are peoples thoughts on certain ability users like Hatsumi. Does having certain abilities hinder them from playing logically thus making them rely on their abilities more?
Ura-dora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-19, 23:18   Link #3568
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

If you have the power and can guarantee that power, not using that power is illogical. The problems arise when players are too dependent on the power even when it's not working or think it guarantees wins when it's still important to play defense in areas where the power doesn't affect. That is, it's important to be clear on the limitations of the power and that other powers can counter it. Regardless of power, players have to be flexible in response to others.

Hatsumi had problems but more to do with disbelief that someone had the power to block her (and thus refusal to adjust despite her team warning her about Miyamori) and a lack of defense. The latter's not a power problem, just a lack of effort or attempt on her part. Hatsumi probably should still go for east and north on her north seat, but if she finds herself blocked, play defensively and try to stay in north if she can, esp. if she knows / figures out East has a small hand. Usuzawa spends the power / effort regardless on blocking so tire her out.
Old 2013-06-20, 00:44   Link #3569
XGeneral2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ura-dora View Post
So what are peoples thoughts on certain ability users like Hatsumi. Does having certain abilities hinder them from playing logically thus making them rely on their abilities more?
If their power usage is dominant to the point that it defines their play, others will be able to counter it and defeat them, even if they have no powers themselves. Unless a power-user can identify her own weaknesses and compensate for them, she will end up losing to any competent team. Players like Hatsumi and pre-Nationals Yuuki suffer from this. This is why Hisa is my favorite character - not only does she have an incredibly potent power, she knows exactly how to use it and how to counter everyone else at the same time. She knows it all - the mechanics, the psychological metagame, and the superpowers. Not to mention she's a badass away from the table, too.

Of course, there are players like the Miyanaga sisters that are so powerful only other monster players (or super-strategists like Yumi) can really capitalize on their weaknesses even if they make no attempts to adjust their play. To be honest, I think this has been one of the weak points of the series. Saki is such a powerful player that she hasn't really had to develop her style (and subsequently her character). It's the same thing every match - once she's done feeling worthless, it starts raining sankantsus and rinshans until everyone else goes home. Sure, it's entertaining in the short term, but it's kinda boring and anti-climactic when you know it'll happen every time. It looks like this might change in the next match, so I'm pretty excited. I'd be pretty happy if she "lost" her next match and took 2nd for once, really. Then she would need to learn some self-confidence and that would make her a better character long term, imo (not to mention psychologically prepare her for her showdown with Teru).
XGeneral2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-20, 00:51   Link #3570
kazzuya13

Quote:
Originally Posted by XGeneral2000 View Post
If their power usage is dominant to the point that it defines their play, others will be able to counter it and defeat them, even if they have no powers themselves. Unless a power-user can identify her own weaknesses and compensate for them, she will end up losing to any competent team. Players like Hatsumi and pre-Nationals Yuuki suffer from this. This is why Hisa is my favorite character - not only does she have an incredibly potent power, she knows exactly how to use it and how to counter everyone else at the same time. She knows it all - the mechanics, the psychological metagame, and the superpowers. Not to mention she's a badass away from the table, too.

Of course, there are players like the Miyanaga sisters that are so powerful only other monster players (or super-strategists like Yumi) can really capitalize on their weaknesses even if they make no attempts to adjust their play. To be honest, I think this has been one of the weak points of the series. Saki is such a powerful player that she hasn't really had to develop her style (and subsequently her character). It's the same thing every match - once she's done feeling worthless, it starts raining sankantsus and rinshans until everyone else goes home. Sure, it's entertaining in the short term, but it's kinda boring and anti-climactic when you know it'll happen every time. It looks like this might change in the next match, so I'm pretty excited. I'd be pretty happy if she "lost" her next match and took 2nd for once, really. Then she would need to learn some self-confidence and that would make her a better character long term, imo (not to mention psychologically prepare her for her showdown with Teru).
Even if they don't use their signature moves they are already stronger than most opponents. It is just their pride in their moves that will cause their downfall like what happened to Oohashi. She keep using her signature move stubbornly even to it became harder and harder to do.
Old 2013-06-20, 05:09   Link #3571
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

Spoiler for Satoha is awesome.:

Last edited by tjalorak; 2013-06-20 at 05:57.
tjalorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-20, 09:52   Link #3572
Peanutbutter

Spoiler for Ch 113:
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-20, 10:21   Link #3573
The Green One

So the pro hypes Usuzan as deadly and yet they get utterly flattened in the Vanguard round? Sheesh.....I suppose this is so the rest of their team can get utterly explosive gains to make a comeback but this level of performance was pretty sad. I expected more.

Poor poor Yuuki.....she seems to be deemed to lose despite her efforts.
Old 2013-06-20, 11:03   Link #3574
Fragment off
Reader or Writer

Quote:
So the pro hypes Usuzan as deadly and yet they get utterly flattened in the Vanguard round? Sheesh.....I suppose this is so the rest of their team can get utterly explosive gains to make a comeback but this level of performance was pretty sad. I expected more.

I call it now .The only match she got positive is the final, where no one is waiting it.
Old 2013-06-20, 11:22   Link #3575
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:

Indeed, it's pretty sad, she even got serious and all, which is saying a lot when it comes to Yuuki. And even worst, this was her last chance too. We all know what comes next

Also, usuzan is destined to lose now, the vanguard match needs players that can stop Teru time or the rest of the team won't matter, and in that regard, either the bomb or batman are much better choices.

Or, Kuro could stop it on her own, but Ritz wouldn't do that.

...right?
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-20, 13:32   Link #3576
Used Can

Well, Usuzan was hyped by Hayari. But Rinkai was hyped by Fujita.

Anyhow, Kuro's dora hoarding, Taco's East round and Satoha's Batman skills are probably a really good match-up for Teru, especially if Satoha knows how to use the other two well, in order to screw Teru over as much as possible.

That makes me think. If Teru has a hard time during her match and she doesn't gather many points, I wonder how well would Shiraitodai fare, considering they didn't put a good performance in their previous match - sure, they said they weren't going all-out (with the exception of Awai), but they only ended up on 2nd place because of Teru's massive point gain. So, if they lack that, I really wonder if they'd be able to keep their footing during the finals, especially if Kiyosumi and Rinkai advance.
Old 2013-06-20, 13:35   Link #3577
King-Slayer

Quote:

I'm guessing the last three player in Usuzan are strong, otherwise Hayari will look pretty silly.
King-Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-20, 22:05   Link #3578
The Green One

I'm predicting Teru will have a more modest win in the final so that Shiratodai can show off their supposed improvements for the finals so that come Captains match Saku, Shizu, and Awai can have a more intense threeway with the scores being more balanced.

Threeway battle you perverts.
Old 2013-06-21, 03:38   Link #3579
teja208
Critical fanboy

The Side B semi's vanguard was great overall, although, the result wasn't what I was hoping for. It's obvious that Ritz had to skip the second hanchan in order to keep up the pace for the new season of Saki. Hope she won't skip Mako's match again, but wouldn't be surprised if she did.

Like most people, I feel sorry for Yuuki.

With how Uzusan's vanguard performed, she's confirmed to be even worse than Izumi at this rate. She has no hex, can't rake up huge points like Yuuki or Kuro, and more importantly, can't defend properly or keep up with other player's plan. This made me questioned why they put her on vanguard in the first place. If Uzusan advances, expected either Kuro or her to get some sort of asspull eleventh hour hex upgrade in the middle of the final vanguard match or risk Teru's comber stomping.

It occurred to me that usually, how much the team gets nerfed is quantified by how well their vanguard performed. The better the vanguard performed, the more nerfed is the rest of the team gets. Let's see whether this theory applies to Rinkai.

Last edited by teja208; 2013-06-21 at 03:50.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-21, 11:24   Link #3580
Serperior

Remember that Usuzan only caught up to Rinkai from the Vice-Captain and above. Their first three players are average. That being said, I feel pity for Naruka this match. She's like Kuro + Kirame combined.
Serperior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri