AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-10-04, 16:26   Link #361
Tworble

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Ep 1...

Wow, this show really wants to be cool. Like, really, really wants to be cool. (And popular overseas.) So far, though, it seems to be a mix of all sorts of "cool stuff!!" and "this is what viewers like!!" with not much substance... but I'm shallow enough to chew on those hooks for a while, so next episode, here I come!

(And the visuals are pretty nice.)
I was actually scared it was going to be a fanservice menagerie without much more going for it. Glad to be proven wrong; for the first episode anyway. Let us hope in the second episode we get to know the characters better.
Tworble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 17:00   Link #362
Kirarakim

Style over substance? No thanks!

I was originally going to watch for the seiyuu but it turns out most of the same ones will be in Magi, so that doesn't even seem like a good reason anymore.

Perhaps I'll end up watching it if it gets really good reviews once its over.
Old 2012-10-04, 17:34   Link #363
Lenneth4

Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
Quote:
Ep 1...

Wow, this show really wants to be cool. Like, really, really wants to be cool. (And popular overseas.) So far, though, it seems to be a mix of all sorts of "cool stuff!!" and "this is what viewers like!!" with not much substance... but I'm shallow enough to chew on those hooks for a while, so next episode, here I come!

Are thou trying to say that K is truly Cheesy ?
Lenneth4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 18:01   Link #364
kuromitsu

Indeed, in a manner of speaking; as from the moment I set mine eyes upon K until its time ran out and I had to tear my gaze away - I thought I smelled the strong aroma of the fine product of which you speak.

(Not that being cheesy is a problem by default, though, if done with enough style and self-awareness... K, for now, has the former but seems to lack the latter. And anyway it was only the first episode, so who knows? Maybe it'll develop into something really great. Maybe.)
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 18:50   Link #365
Arya

Don't know what to say about this first episode. The ending anyways left me this not good feeling that the "kitten" will act like a kitten too, and I don't know if I could stand it

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 18:53   Link #366
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
That was fun!

I pretty much got what I expected out of the show so far....well except for more neko fanservice but looks like next ep is gonna fix that
Old 2012-10-04, 19:06   Link #367
Algent

Quote:
Ep 1...

Same as you, at the end I was thinking "this show is an attention whore", it was like "hey I can do this too, watch me pretty please".

I'll go for the 3eps rule but I expected more for a start.
Algent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 19:31   Link #368
HandofFate

Really flashy. The PDAs look really cool. So many animes now showing up technology that's probably gonna really happen in 10 years or so.

Whole thing seems like it would fit in as a jrpg very nicely. I almost imagine it to be what Persona5 might end up looking like.
Old 2012-10-04, 20:09   Link #369
Byakou

Seems like this show is more interested in showing off visual style than to narrate a good story. I still have no idea what the hell I watched. Italia is hiding in a white haired boy's body. There's a cat, that apparently has a pretty good grip. Oh look, I'm zooming at the ground with a skateboard on it, wow anime have a pat on the back you're so cool, not. Blah blah kings. That about describes my understanding of the story right now. Barely more than after watching the trailer.
Byakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 20:26   Link #370
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
Really flashy. The PDAs look really cool. So many animes now showing up technology that's probably gonna really happen in 10 years or so.

Whole thing seems like it would fit in as a jrpg very nicely. I almost imagine it to be what Persona5 might end up looking like.
Let's just hope Persona 5 has more substance to it.

But that's really how I felt about the episode. It looked good, but substance wise it might be hard to watch the whole series . The lead really does seem more like the comical best friend type than someone you want leading the series. Even if he's got this psycho evil personality or whatever, seems like it might be tough to handle.

Plus couldn't help thinking when this Kuroh guy showed up "what are you doing here Kanda (D.Gray-man) ." Well let's see where the next couple episodes takes this.
Old 2012-10-04, 20:37   Link #371
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Just watched Episode 1.

My take on this is very similar to kuromitsu's. The sheer spectacle in this episode was truly something else. I haven't been this won over by sheer visual/audio spectacle since the first episode of Guilty Crown... of course, some could take that as a red flag given the weaknesses of this first episode of K.

I found this first episode thoroughly esoteric. I'm not sure if that's because this show really is the ultimate in style over substance, or if it's just holding off on a whole bunch of important plot reveals that'll add some weight to this show.

But as is, this show is like cotton candy, only made exceptionally cool and "for adults". But even though it's cool and "for adults", it still has all the weight of cotton candy. It's practically lighter than air, which seems to be the case for many of these high-flying metahuman characters too.

From what I can gather, it seems that there's two superpowered groups in this glistening metropolis, and they're both after our male lead for some reason. One superpowered group gives me a definite "lawful" vibe and may actually be the superpowered police of this city. The other superpowered group gives me a definite "chaotic" vibe. In this vein (but only in this vein so far), this show reminds me a bit of Black Cat and S-Cry-Ed.

Then there's how our male lead is either a memory-wiped (personality-altered?) guy that used to be a coldblooded killer, and/or something funky like cloning is going on.

And our male lead goes to a fairly typical (albeit slightly futuristic) Japanese high school, where a girl has a crush on him and wants to feed him her bento.

Oh, and there's very light yaoi subtext so far, although it's hardly worth mentioning.

But yeah, that's pretty much all I can figure from this show so far. Nonetheless, it's sheer spectacle made the first episode a pretty enjoyable watch. I'm just hoping this doesn't stay like extremely cool cotton candy for too long...
Old 2012-10-04, 20:37   Link #372
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

I have no idea what I just watched:

Everyone wants to kill Whitey Italia for some reason.

This really looks like Durarara right down to the Blonde Bartender whos got hair and glasses similar to Shizuo.

There are two clans, one is lead by a bunch of people who look like the Sexy Corps of the Military from FMA while the other is lead by Kazama the Hot Demon Guy from Hakuoki.

And there's Hoyay courtesy of Long Haired Bishie who saves Whitey Italia at the last minute. And a naked girl, who's a cat.

Because it's Japan.
GDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 20:44   Link #373
Jetzero Infinity

Well after seeing the episode twice I think I have a good idea of what's happening/will happen:

Spoiler for Theory:

I thought it was an interesting enough first episode in that I do wanna see how this goes. Frankly I wasn't expecting a lot of explination in the first episode, though hopefully they'll flesh it out later on.
Jetzero Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 21:26   Link #374
SQA

That was pretty good. Did everything an ep 1 really needs to do, including showing off possibly the best animated TV series we've seen. And that's saying something.
Spoiler for Storyline summary:

I look forward to the rest of this.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 21:31   Link #375
NK_500
Disabled By Request

@Triple_R: You mentioned yaoi? Thanks and now I don't have to see it. Thanks for seeing it so I don't have to.
NK_500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 21:40   Link #376
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by NK_500 View Post
@Triple_R: You mentioned yaoi? Thanks and now I don't have to see it. Thanks for seeing it so I don't have to.
lol, well, it wasn't anything major. It's honestly "blink and you miss it". But up to you.
Old 2012-10-04, 21:47   Link #377
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
And our male lead goes to a fairly typical (albeit slightly futuristic) Japanese high school, where a girl has a crush on him and wants to feed him her bento.
Well that's one way to describe him I guess.

But for me, throughout the entire episode I keep seeing a big freaking neon sign with three letters above his head; U-K-E
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 21:48   Link #378
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK_500 View Post
It was only blushing. Like Triple_R said, blink and you'll miss it.
Old 2012-10-04, 21:51   Link #379
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep1:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 21:53   Link #380
novalysis

Is there a reason for the de-saturated art style? For some reason, I get the surreal feeling that this is a Flashback.

In addition, there were those occasional flickers of a different lighting scheme at certain scenes.

Plot-wise, everything is still as vague as ever. Disconnected even.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, bishonen, fantasy, gang, supernatural