AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Suisei no Gargantia

Notices

View Poll Results: Suisei no Gargantia - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 13 14.44%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 36.67%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 22 24.44%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 16.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.33%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.11%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.11%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 2.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-05-12, 14:21   Link #41
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Including one who appeared to be doing pelvic thrusts with an erect penis.

OK, I'm going to mention this just once. I have not liked Amy's character model from the beginning. She and Ledo are supposed to both be sixteen, but he looks 24, and she looks 12. Her behavior and speech often seem a bit juvenile as well. As for Ledo, though he looks much older than 16, his virginity and (dissolving) asexuality also place convenient limits on his maturity.

So I find scenes where three supposedly sixteen-year-old girls dance provocatively in front of a bunch of inebriated older men disturbing. Drawing the girls to look young for their ages makes it even worse. I figured that after the bikini episode we would leave the fanservice behind and return to the main story this week. I was disappointed to say the least.
You must have some developed 12-year-olds in your area if they have the same curves as Amy's design...
Old 2013-05-12, 14:22   Link #42
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Japanese Culture does not=Otaku Culture either.
Shingeki no Kyojin implies that the ugly people of society = otaku.
Old 2013-05-12, 14:24   Link #43
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuafaramir View Post
Of course Chamber/Gundam can operate underwater. How the hell can it operate in space if it's not sealed shut and airtight?
Water pressure is entirely different from vacuum. Now, Chamber was pulled out of the ocean after it fell to Earth, and is obviously strong enough to withstand some grabbing and crunching from the Hideauze, but there had been questions raised during the pirate battle about whether Lukkage's plan to drag it underwater would work, whether the antigravity ball would work underwater, etc. They've now shown it...
Old 2013-05-12, 14:26   Link #44
joshuafaramir
Book Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
Water pressure is entirely different from vacuum. Now, Chamber was pulled out of the ocean after it fell to Earth, and is obviously strong enough to withstand some grabbing and crunching from the Hideauze, but there had been questions raised during the pirate battle about whether Lukkage's plan to drag it underwater would work, whether the antigravity ball would work underwater, etc. They've now shown it...
Look bob, if that ROBOT CAN WITHSTAND THE G-FORCES ON A BLACK HOLE/Worm Hole, how the hell can it NOT withstand some measly underwater pressure?
Old 2013-05-12, 14:26   Link #45
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuafaramir View Post
As for the culture festival, it's not really a BIG DEAL if you consider the environment they live in. Those girls/women/people are scantily clad at all times. They must be used to seeing it by now. Jeeze, don't bring your own cultural perception and "criticizing" the show if haven't looked and considered the whole picture.
Okay once again there is nothing cultural about it. It is fricking fanservice.

I said I don't mind the fanservice in this episode, I tolerate it but I am so tired of people making stupid excuses for it.

It is not part of their culture. It's meant to appeal to the target audience of the series. That is all.

Please do not give me the argument that they are scantily clad because they live near water. It's only the women who are dressed like that. I wonder why.

We don't need a swim suit episode and belly dancing episode to show us their culture. And for the record I have seen real belly dancing performers many times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haruyasha
Shingeki no Kyojin implies that the ugly people of society = otaku.
Sorry I am not sure I understand this statement. I also wasn't trying to imply that all Otaku series automatically have fanservice (because that is not true).

What I was trying to say that the amount of fanservice we do see in many anime series is not necessarily representative of Japanese culture as a whole.

And on another note fanservice is not exclusively a Japanese anime thing either.

edit: Although Titans does prove that a series can exist without fanservice and still sell just fine.

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2013-05-12 at 14:36.
Old 2013-05-12, 14:26   Link #46
ApathyEcstasy

I was going to give a huge rant about moral/cultural relativism, but I think I'll just say this: someone needs to get off his high horse.

As for whether sexism/sexualization is related to culture or not. If you define culture as a collection of beliefs, values, and norms, then sexism/sexualization such as fan service is, indeed, a cultural feature. If you want to split hairs, you can call it a sub-cultural feature.

Product marketing is also directly connected to culture.
Old 2013-05-12, 14:28   Link #47
joshuafaramir
Book Elitist

Quote:
Okay once again there is nothing cultural about it. It is fricking fanservice.

I said I don't mind the fanservice in this episode, I tolerate it but I am so tired of people making stupid excuses for it.

It is not part of their culture. It's meant to appeal to the target audience of the series. That is all.

Please do not give me the argument that they are scantily clad because they live near water. It's only the women who are dressed like that. I wonder why.

We don't need a swim suit episode and belly dancing episode to show us their culture. And for the record I have seen real belly dancing performers many times.
How the hell do you know it's NOT PART OF THEIR CULTURE boy?
Old 2013-05-12, 14:29   Link #48
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

Quote:

And you're talking as if you know anything about (or live in) this fictional culture.

Just let it go, really. Nobody is forcing you to watch this series if the lack of clothing bothers you. (Or be here if the discussion of said fanservice troubles you.) Let people think what they want.
Old 2013-05-12, 14:30   Link #49
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
It's meant to appeal to the target audience of the series. That is all.
As one of those people, it's working. The past two episodes have been my favorite in the series, for their general atmosphere and, yes, their fanservice. The less "serious" something is, the more I can get invested in it, though I realize that hardly applies to everyone.

Quote:
We don't need a swim suit episode and belly dancing episode to show us their culture.
If I may use a hopefully not too awkward real world analogy, Akiba is as much a part of Japan's culture as the old Edo castles. Culture has its entertainment that's designed solely to entertain. There's a whole broad scope of things that represent "culture", and fanservice is equally important in that.
Old 2013-05-12, 14:31   Link #50
KrimzonStriker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApathyEcstasy View Post
I was going to give a huge rant about moral/cultural relativism, but I think I'll just say this: someone needs to get over his high horse.

As for whether sexism/sexualization is related to culture or not. If you define culture as a collection of beliefs, values, and norms, then sexism/sexualization such as fan service is, indeed, a cultural feature. If you want to split hairs, you can call it a sub-cultural feature.

Product marketing is also directly connected to culture.
Seconded, you see plenty worst in real-life cultures as well. I didn't think any different of the dance then say Carnival in Brazil. Is it an excuse for fan-service? Sure, but that doesn't mean it's not relevant or doesn't work for the series. If we can tolerate and even appreciate it in real-life, then why not in anime?
Old 2013-05-12, 14:33   Link #51
GDB

My only problem with the belly dancing is that it's the same three girls we've seen the entire series. What, are they the only girls under 25 years old in the entire floating city?
Old 2013-05-12, 14:34   Link #52
ApathyEcstasy

I get the feeling that Kirarakim has a very narrow and selective view of what does and doesn't qualify as culture. Unfortunately for him, the actual definition of culture is extraordinarily broad. Whether he likes it or not, seedy aspects of entertainment also qualify as culture. This includes drug use, prostitution, and yes, anime fan service.
Old 2013-05-12, 14:34   Link #53
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
My only problem with the belly dancing is that it's the same three girls we've seen the entire series. What, are they the only girls under 25 years old in the entire floating city?
They're marking their territory.. Who knows.. Maybe they're the ones who are making sure that Redo only sees them?
Old 2013-05-12, 14:35   Link #54
Enjou

I'm in agreement with those that suggested the creature at the end is one of the whalesquids that was mentioned. Whether it's related to the Hideauze are it's evolutionary cousin or not, I'm not so sure it is - that would be too much of a coincidence that both the known spacefaring species are from the same planet. More likely it would be a case of convergent evolution.
Old 2013-05-12, 14:36   Link #55
DuelGundam2099
Disabled By Request

I just watched the episode, if not for the Hideaouze and Ledo freaking out from a cooked octopus it would have been just as lackluster as the last episode. The fan service made me want to cringe. On that note, where are you guys getting the idea Ledo's getting aroused? At best he's just starring off into space.
Old 2013-05-12, 14:39   Link #56
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuelGundam2099 View Post
On that note, where are you guys getting the idea Ledo's getting aroused? At best he's just starring off into space.
He's hypnotized by her dance, and goes as far as to ask her to dance for him (in private). That's not just starring off into space.

Although I really don't see the big deal if he gets sexually aroused.. Remember his character flaws when Chamber told him his reaction to living on Avalon was lackluster and not as expected. Redo has no interest in interacting with humans.. thus living on Earth is exactly what he needs.
Old 2013-05-12, 14:40   Link #57
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
You must have some developed 12-year-olds in your area if they have the same curves as Amy's design...
I raised a daughter and knew a number of girls in the 11-13 range who had "developed". It's pretty common in modern America. The average age at menarche is around 12.5.

My reaction to Amy has more to do with her facial design than her body. Her facial appearance is quite juvenile for someone who is supposed to be sixteen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuelGundam2099 View Post
where are you guys getting the idea Ledo's getting aroused? At best he's just starring off into space.
I thought that aspect of the scene in the bar was quite poorly directed. Was Ledo looking at the stage? It seemed like he was looking in an entirely different direction throughout, either in horror at the "Hideauze" on his plate, or toward the waitress, or toward his potential employers. If he was looking at the girls, it wasn't made obvious.
Old 2013-05-12, 14:41   Link #58
Entravity

Looks to be getting more serious by the end part. Otherwise, not that good, but it does have some developments albeit not that much.

BUT DEM HIPS.
Old 2013-05-12, 14:41   Link #59
Blaat

I'm getting worried here at the rate this show is going doesn't bode well. I mean people might run out of tissue paper or cleaning solutions to keep the keyboard sticky free. With the current economic situation the small costs always add up. I hope the situation is going well for you guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Whenever I see Ledo with Bellows, as in this episode, they always seem a more likely pairing than Ledo and Amy.
In the previous episodes I thought, like you, that Bellows (along with all the other recurring female characters) had an interest in Ledo but in this episode I didn't see any of it. In this one I thought Bellows interest was with Pinion not with Ledo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy'O View Post
Also, all the talk about fanservice. For me it's a reason I picked up anime 14 years ago, I really do not understand how anyone can be surprised anymore by it unless you started watching anime recently.
After all my years of watching anime I've noticed that the better quality the anime the less fanservice it tends to have (having said that the opposite isn't necessarily true e.g. a show with no fanservice doesn't mean it's of high quality).
Now it could be observational bias on my case, or maybe the fanservice is handled so much better that it feels like a genuine part of the show instead of something to increase the sell numbers. Obviously my opinion is in the minority and I'll accept that but that won't prevent me from voicing my complaints unnecessary fanservice we see in this show.
Old 2013-05-12, 14:44   Link #60
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApathyEcstasy View Post
I get the feeling that Kirarakim has a very narrow and selective view of what does and doesn't qualify as culture. Unfortunately for him, the actual definition of culture is extraordinarily broad. Whether he likes it or not, seedy aspects of entertainment also qualify as culture. This includes drug use, prostitution, and yes, anime fan service.
I don't have a narrow view of anything. I am saying it isn't meant to represent "culture" it is meant to be "fanservice".

Trying to say it is meant to be culture comes off as extremely stupid. And you can easily show "belly dancing" without it being objectifying.

Heck even in this episode there is a sharp contrast between Amy's dance and the dance at the beginning.

And I am not a he!