AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-06-27, 21:40   Link #201
Krevnik
Kryptic Kynic

Hmm, Melody as a Siren... interesting thought. I don't believe she would be a Siren, although I feel that she isn't all-good (self interest). On the other hand, she has a genuine interest in humans and promoting those who are strong willed into Melos Warriors and encouragement of self-determination. This runs counter to the Monsters we have seen, who promote the lavish servitude and the blind loyalty to them as lords, and encourage those who cannot fully believe in themselves or are greedy.

With how Monsters and their machinations *really* not liking Miegen, it makes more sense as to why Melody was locked up. One thing that I also have noticed in this world is the complete *lack* of music of any kind. Anyone see a radio, CD player, or pair of speakers anywhere so far? I know it hasn't been that long into the series, but music and song seem to be missing, except for the song coming from Melody.

Hmm.....
Krevnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-28, 08:29   Link #202
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
Having not caught up with the Chinese-subs at all--I just don't wanna reboot for a language change just to load a torrent --let me just say, "slap me for totally not paying attention," because as I was browsing through some stuff on Gainax.co.jp I noticed that Toune's VA is the same person doing Madlax

Thus ends pointless trivia
Melazoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-28, 18:46   Link #203
RobertM
Kobe, not Osaka...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melazoma
Having not caught up with the Chinese-subs at all--I just don't wanna reboot for a language change just to load a torrent --let me just say, "slap me for totally not paying attention," because as I was browsing through some stuff on Gainax.co.jp I noticed that Toune's VA is the same person doing Madlax

Thus ends pointless trivia
And Bocca's VA is the same person doing Margaret Burton in Madlax. O_o
RobertM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-29, 03:00   Link #204
wao
OK.

You don't actually need to change your language to load the torrent, I think. The torrent file's name will just appear to have all those weird european characters on them. I have the chinese language pack installed here but they don't come out properly on bittorrent anyway...

Bocca's seiyuu also did Kagura in Azumanga Daioh, Minoru in Chobits, Sango in Inuyasha, Kaitou Jeanne in Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, Vess in Kenran Butou Sai, Koruru in Konjiki no Gash Bell, Flay in Gundam Seed, Kirika in Noir, Quon in RahXephon, and some other thingies...

Toune's seiyuu also did Akira in Hikaru no Go, Haripoteto in Jagainu-kun (Dogtato-kun), Yoko Katsuragi in (BLEAH!) Love Love, Haru in Someday's Dreamers, Scarlet Church in (BLEAH?!?!) Cosplayers...... omg

Sayoko's seiyuu also did Saga in Chicchana Yukitsukai Sugar, Risa in D.N. Angel, Gloria in Daphne in the Brilliant Blue, Sonsaku Hakufu in Ikkitousen, Mai in Popotan, Hiyono in Spiral, Mizuki in Yumeria..

The Melody of Oblivion's seiyuu also did Moto in Boogiepop Phantom, Lilica in Burn-up Scramble, Kazama Shinji in FMP, Elsa from GSG, Mitsuki in (Bleah!) Hit wo Nerae, Rin in Inuyasha, Kyouko in Diamond Dust Drops, again Mitsuki in (Bleah!) Love Love, Shimako in Maria-sama ga Miteru, Nina/Anna in Monster, Akira in Narutaru, Sagi Tsukiko in Paranoia Agent, Narue in Narue no Sekai, Hazuki Azuma in Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito...

Kurofune's seiyuu (who I don't really like) did Jean in GSG, Shirakawa-sensei in Piano, Itsuki Kisaragi in RahXephon, Roger Smith in The Big O, Hubb in Wolf's Rain..

Evil ol' Hol's seiyuu also did Ginji Amano from Get Backers...

Sky Blue, the kid plugging up the dam, his seiyuu also did Kaoru from Ai Yori Aoshi, Son Goku from Saiyuki (?!??!?!), Kira Yamato from Gundam Seed, Kei Kusanagi from Onegai Teacher (Wait, isn't that a girls name? Not that I've watched OT, but...), Kazuma from Scryed, Nagi from Tenjo Tenge, Masashi from To Heart...

By the way, in anime roles, does anyone know which person is concerned with the arrangement of scenes and camera angles and all? I thought it was very well done for this series... I lookd at Director of Photography, he's the same guy who did the Photography for Ikkitousen... Or is it the Art Director? (Who, for MoO, also did art directing for Chicchana Yukitsukai Sugar, Beserk, Daa Daa Daa!, Figure 17, Koko wa Greenwood, Maburaho, Orphen, Utena, To Heart, YKKQCC ...)

And thus ends the even greater pointless trivia which can be found on the very helpful ANN encyclopedia!
Old 2004-06-29, 03:27   Link #205
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
You don't actually need to change your language to load the torrent, I think. The torrent file's name will just appear to have all those weird european characters on them. I have the chinese language pack installed here but they don't come out properly on bittorrent anyway...
Here's the thing.... the .torrent file itself is fine, but the saved file is weird, as in the file name is completely scrambled--I cut and resume the same torrent a lot partly because I need the optimal upstream for other things. When I go back to resume a cut-off Chinese torrent, it just wouldn't load >_< Eh, I've given up anyways
Melazoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-29, 07:10   Link #206
wao
OK.

Well, then that's too bad Skippedy-doo-dah, Episode 13 is coming out today, and the Chinese subs ought to be out in a few days or so. Wai

EDIT: Oh, and regarding those evil manga spoilers from few pages back which I unfortunately read, I finally understood a few days ago why somebody is not flying towards the Space Station in the OP. Which somebody is it? Well go spoil yourself :<
Old 2004-06-29, 12:15   Link #207
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Well, they were put into spoiler tags -_- Plus things may not work out the same way as the manga

Spoiler:

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-29, 12:16   Link #208
wao
OK.

Yeah, of course it was my fault, entirely my fault I went and read the spoilers ...

But you said the Melody of Oblivion looks very different in manga? Do you happen to have an image of it somewhere?
Old 2004-07-01, 18:04   Link #209
passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
Well, then that's too bad Skippedy-doo-dah, Episode 13 is coming out today, and the Chinese subs ought to be out in a few days or so. Wai

:<
wow chinese fansubs r sure fast. i still am waiting for ep 8. come on rice-box another double release
passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-01, 19:20   Link #210
Krevnik
Kryptic Kynic

Episode 8 is good... odd, but good. I haven't been able to download 10-13 yet, but I am anxious to see what happens. Episode 9 was more of a cliffhanger than normal.
Old 2004-07-03, 18:57   Link #211
wao
OK.

Episode 13 is goooood! Even MORE new music (I am so getting the soundtrack) and, IMO, a REALLY awesome battle scene. Really, really awesome.

(I don't know if these are spoilers but okay, I'll just put the whole chunk in a nice spoiler tag.)

Spoiler for Medium spoilers.:

About that fight though, like I said it was awesome...
Spoiler for Description of battle, kindal ight:

The boy in the cave, Solo, is even more mysterious.
Spoiler for medium:

And finally we kind of begin to see why Sayoko was following Kurofune around and a bit about her background as well, even though you don't actually see her much this ep.
Spoiler for heavy things:

And well you finally know that
Spoiler for light:

Wonderful ep. ^__^ And the next episode is aptly titled "The exit that is called the entrance" - it's as confusing as that goddamn maze itself. I can't wait for it!

EDIT: I do need to shut up, I ramble on too much. Anyway, the first DVD for Melody of Oblivion is coming out 23/7.
Limited Edition: 8190 yen Normal Edition First Press: 3990 yen (tax included).
Limited Edition includes Voice CD (Boukyaku Station), some Voice Acting Audio Commentary thing, some DVD HALF-BOX thing (What is that?), an 8-page Boukyaku no Senritsu Booklet, a Jacket drawn by Shinya Hasegawa (the character designer), and a card.
The normal edition is a hell of a lot cheaper of course...

Heh. We all complain that American DVDs are expensive.... FYI, 8190 yen is US$75 (Sing$129?!), and even the normal old 3990 yen is US$36 (Sing$62!!).
Oh, and guess what, there is going to be a grand total of 2 episodes in this DVD. How do otakus afford DVDs?!

Ah, and the DVD cover looks something like this, I think.
Spoiler:

The soundtrack comes out on 21/7 (same day as Madlax soundtrack!! ^__^), and costs 3045 yen, US$28 (Sing$47!). Not cheap, ay? But at least that's tax included. (And it comes with an original postcard.) It seems popular though, on www.neowing.co.jp, there's only 6 left to order! The soundtrack cover will look something like this:
Spoiler:

Last edited by wao; 2004-07-05 at 00:35.
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-05, 02:55   Link #212
wao
OK.

Okay, sorry to make 2 posts but I have a LOOOOT of things to say (:|). It would make the previous post too long if I added it in.

So, I'm reading this Japanese blog about MoO (I don't fully understand the blog, but...), and the writer has some very insightful links between the anime and the Greek symbolism. (No, it has nothing about winning the Euro 2004 )

About Elan Vital not being able to fly:
If you consider Elan Vital to be Pegasus and Bocca to be Perseus, and make the more firm link that the red-haired Monster is Medusa, then... Consider the myth that when Perseus went to kill Medusa, Pegasus was born (as Pegasus was a child between Poseidon and Medusa, and Medusa was pregnant when Perseus killed her.). So, perhaps Bocca needs to kill the red-haired Monster and then Elan Vital can fly?
Because after Perseus killed Medusa Pegasus became his magical flying ally.

About the red-haired Monster:
Medusa was known for having exquisite and beautiful hair before she was turned into a Gorgon by Minerva (who was Jealous of Medusa for seducing Poseidon). This suggests that even this red-haired Monster used to be a human before? Perhaps it also suggests that she has two sisters (There were 3 Gorgons. It must be noted that Medusa was the only mortal one. That Melody of Oblivion looks awfully similar to Medusa...)

About Sayoko:
She could be Andromeda. Andromeda was the daughter of Queen Cassiopeia and King Cepheus, and was sacrificed to Cetus the Sea Monster (the Kraken or something). For those who have watched ep 13, this makes a lot of sense. For those who haven't, well maybe I'll spoil a bit by saying the chains on her hands have to do with it. There's a very nice page about Andromeda and Perseus and the significance of the myth here. (You could either continue from earlier that Perseus is represented by Bocca, or that Kurofune could be Perseus...)

However, this blogger also thinks that she could be Artemis. Why? Well, Artemis is a major Greek goddess who is the goddess of the night, woodland goddess and personification of the moon. Sayoko's name is "Tsukinomori Sayoko" which is 月の森 小夜子. Which has the kanji for "moon", "forest" AND "night".

Coincidentially, she is also the Lady of the Beasts and the Bull Goddess, which links to this certain blogger's other proposition that she might be closely linked to the Monster Union.
Not just the linking with Artemis, but also because she seems to know so much about them, and this particular blogger also thinks that in ep 9 there's this bath scene, and you don't see much of Sayoko's body - perhaps to hide a possible Monster Union stamp. (Then again you usually see so much of her body what with her wearing that sort of outfit.)
Also, in ep 5 or something when asked how she knew Keiko was a Monster Agent, she said "I can smell it." Which might suggest she was perhaps a Monster Agent before, or is closely related. If you've watched episode 13, it might be more apparent, though...

If she is Artemis, though, then Bocca might be the representation of her (most supposedly, in the myths) elder brother Apollon? Or, again, if you know about episode 13 this could make more sense.

It seems the attitude of most Greek gods fits that of the Monsters - they seem to be largely easily jealous, and always demand sacrifices They seem to promote a cowardly nature among their subjects... A lot of cool people in Greek myths love using the bow and arrow... Perhaps it is a significance of important, special people (and that is why Melos warriors get bows and arrows?)

This blogger also seems to think that Kurofune is representative of Jason in the myth of the Golden Fleece. Something about Melody of Oblivion being the Fleece. I'm not sure, but Jason was tutored by Chiron, who was a member of the Centaur group (if you've watched ep 9 you'd see the Centauros...) and Chiron was brought up by Apollon and Artemis... Of course, comparing the Melody of Oblivion to a goat once again suggests she might be a Monster herself.

I've said a lot here, this post is getting unnaturally long so I'll stop...
Old 2004-07-05, 20:21   Link #213
Krevnik
Kryptic Kynic

*does happy dance*

Rice-Box released Ep 8. We get to see the end of the Pyramid Scheme arc in English. I am downloading it right now along-side the 1600 other people trying to grab it. Congrats to Rice-Box for being able to at least get one out a week or so.
Old 2004-07-06, 06:14   Link #214
wao
OK.

/me does an incredibly happy dance

YAY! Today is an awesome day! It is in sense a double release - MoO 8 in ENGLISH out finally, FINALLY a hi-quality AVI (Argh, rmvbs are a bit annoying) with trnaslations I can fully understand and lovely karaoke for the ED, AND MoO 14 just came out in Japan. Very very very very excited to watch #14. (And #8 in English! <3)

Thank you so much, Rice-box! THANK YOU!

Wheeee! Because of my good mood I will not write more crap about how Greek legends tie into MoO.
Old 2004-07-06, 06:22   Link #215
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
Wheeee! Because of my good mood I will not write more crap about how Greek legends tie into MoO.
Darn. I'll have to hope you get into a bad mood again because I liked that last post. I just wish I'd seen the episode you were discussing.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-06, 07:14   Link #216
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Darn. I'll have to hope you get into a bad mood again because I liked that last post. I just wish I'd seen the episode you were discussing.
LOL! Bah, quite a bit was sort of pilfered from that Japanese blog WHICH I forgot to include a link to, I have to include a link out of respect! The link is this link: link. It's a wonderful blog, the guy makes some really awesome links. Thankfully I can generally grasp it - I do need to check the dictionary now and then (oh, I love kanji that I recognize! Thank you years-of-Chinese-learning!). I usually check what I see in English and correlate it with that and make sure I'm making the right sense...

There's this space fortress later that is mentioned to be called Mithra Nome (I believe it's the one in the OP.). He has got a WHOLE load of links to this name: not only the more obvious 'metronome' one, but also with this Indian goddess "Mitra" or "Mithra" (Not enough time to look up about it), and something about the Kwan Yin Bodhisatva in Mahayana Buddhism also having 33 bodies (apparently Mithras Nome is made out of 33... somethings. I didn't understand the Chinese subs so I didn't know... :|) It's amazing - he really does his research. (Hopefully that wasn't much of a spoiler. Nah, it isn't, right?)

(Right?)

Ah, and the 'that episode' I was referring to was... oh... dammit. *reads through the entire post again*

Okay, there's ep 13 (The Andromeda-Sayoko link, and Sayoko-possibly-being-Monster-Agent link), in that rather unnecessary spoiler post I made, it's under the heavy spoilers section. Oops. *evil arrogant stare*
(But for "If she is Artemis, though, then Bocca might be the representation of her (most supposedly, in the myths) elder brother Apollon? Or, again, if you know about episode 13 this could make more sense.", I don't know what the hell I was talking about. Oh dear.)

Still, we're a-getting to episode 13 sooner and sooner, aren't we? After reading this person's blog I am really devoted to this show. I can't believe it's so deep - and I don't think it's coincidential either. Wow.

I shall try spending time to understand what he had to say about ep 8... with my half-baked (no, that is a compliment - what's a worse word? I can't think of one right now) "skillz". When I'm in a bad mood. (Might be tommorrow, maths test)
Old 2004-07-06, 16:33   Link #217
Melty Snow
<3 WoW undead girls

rawrrrrr
Toune can resound her Melos all she wants
Melty Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-06, 18:47   Link #218
Krevnik
Kryptic Kynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melty Snow
rawrrrrr
Toune can resound her Melos all she wants
Yeah, but eventually it would start to chaffe.
Old 2004-07-06, 19:55   Link #219
eXistenZ
pls..crac...anime need

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krevnik
Yeah, but eventually it would start to chaffe.
they make creams for chaffing
eXistenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-06, 21:01   Link #220
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM
Spoiler:
Nope, that definately sounds like the Sphinx.

Spoiler:
Burner of Anime is offline   Reply With Quote