AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-06-25, 14:03   Link #1
Fome

Japan Passes New Obesity Law

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/13/wo...tml?ref=health

Recently, Japan has passed a new law to counter rising rates of obesity, requiring that all individuals surpassing a threshold waistline be put on a government mandated diet. This is partially due to the fact that obese individuals frequently have more health problems, costing the state large amounts of money for medical expenses.

I find this law to be extremely progressive, and a step in the right direction. The USA has a terrible obesity problem (I think it was like 1 in 4 people are overweight), but we've developed the mentality that people can live how they like and not be criticized for it. Rather than being ashamed of their condition and working to rectify it, many overweight people are self-righteously defensive of their lifestyle choice.

It also makes me think about the animation scene, particularly animation conventions. It's not a stretch to say that cons generally have a strong "fat" representation, since anime fans tend to not be as physically self conscious. What do all the Japanese guests think of these people? "My, the American fans sure are unhealthy," would be a reasonable, expected response, considering the Japanese mentality towards weight. Do they then perceive American anime fans as social pariah, pretty much a bunch of fat losers? I know some you will feel insulted by the idea that those you admire may think less highly of you, but I don't think I'm being outlandish with this speculation.

How do you guys feel about this new law, and about being fat in general?
Fome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-25, 14:09   Link #2
nanafan
horo fan

i admit that obesity is a problem, but don't you think that a government mandated diet is a little too much?
nanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-25, 14:18   Link #3
Orchunter226
Is rather bored...

Quote:
but we've developed the mentality that people can live how they like and not be criticized for it.
It seems more like we've developed the mentality that people can live how they like, and be criticized ALL THE TIME for it. I know my brother is overweight and is constantly berated over it (often by me).

The thing is, in the U.S. we believe that people should be able to live however they like, even if it costs them their health. I guess that is one of the things that comes with "freedom."

Sure, this law is progressive, and may help with the weight problem in Japan. But, on the other hand, is it okay to force people to live healthy?

As an extreme example, see the movie "Demolition Man." A society where everyone is forced to be healthy, but not everyone enjoys having their freedoms taken away.

Quote:
Do they then perceive American anime fans as social pariah, pretty much a bunch of fat losers?
I laugh at them if they do. From what I've seen, Japanese anime fans make American ones look like super-athletes. Sure most aren't overweight, but that doesn't stop the Japanese from taking "nerdiness" to an extreme.

Also, I don't know what percentage of anime fans in Japan are NEETS, but few if any in the U.S. are.

Even with everyone being skinny, I doubt it will help with the smell at cons. Still have to shower even as a skinny person.
Orchunter226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-25, 14:19   Link #4
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Them fatties should be grateful that they'll live longer and healthier, the united states should have this as well. Getting in shape not only makes you healthier but also improves your self esteem.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-25, 14:26   Link #5
Fome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchunter226 View Post
Sure, this law is progressive, and may help with the weight problem in Japan. But, on the other hand, is it okay to force people to live healthy?

As an extreme example, see the movie "Demolition Man." A society where everyone is forced to be healthy, but not everyone enjoys having their freedoms taken away.
I think that there is an ulterior motive besides health--many people just don't want to look at so many overweight people. They won't admit it, but while they make noble declarations of promoting health, they secretly just wish that their countrymen were more attractive. People can be fairly shallow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchunter226 View Post
I laugh at them if they do. From what I've seen, Japanese anime fans make American ones look like super-athletes. Sure most aren't overweight, but that doesn't stop the Japanese from taking "nerdiness" to an extreme.

Also, I don't know what percentage of anime fans in Japan are NEETS, but few if any in the U.S. are.

Even with everyone being skinny, I doubt it will help with the smell at cons. Still have to shower even as a skinny person.
Haha, indeed, nerds are nerdy no matter where they come from. Just in different ways.
Old 2008-06-25, 14:26   Link #6
nanafan
horo fan

hmmm, i am still torn whether it's a good idea or not. it does ensure a healthier life, but like orchunter said people are being forced to lose weight if they are overweight. i hope or think that japan notices that not all americans are like that, they only see a portion of americans so, how do they know if all americans are like that? it goes the same way for japanese too, i guess it's a stereotype that goes both ways?
nanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-25, 14:31   Link #7
Kagedanji
Doughy goodness. I think.

The image of fat neets and otakus will diminish. But in Buddhism, isn't being fat respected? Or is that just a Chinese custom?

Oh, and if this uprises in the US, no more fat sailor moons at cons.
Old 2008-06-25, 14:32   Link #8
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

the problem with choosing a unhealthy lifestyle (fat or otherwise) is that in the end, society ends paying for it. In the form of Hospital bills pay for by the state or/and higher insurance premiums when the insurance companies are force to insured someone who is not healthy.

I am leery of letting the state direct what kind of lifestyle you can have but on the other hand your lifestyle does affect everyone else around you.
Old 2008-06-25, 14:41   Link #9
Fome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
the problem with choosing a unhealthy lifestyle (fat or otherwise) is that in the end, society ends paying for it. In the form of Hospital bills pay for by the state or/and higher insurance premiums when the insurance companies are force to insured someone who is not healthy.

I am leery of letting the state direct what kind of lifestyle you can have but on the other hand your lifestyle does affect everyone else around you.
Good point, I don't want my tax dollars paying for someone who won't take care of himself.
Old 2008-06-25, 14:42   Link #10
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagedanji View Post
The image of fat neets and otakus will diminish. But in Buddhism, isn't being fat respected? Or is that just a Chinese custom?

Oh, and if this uprises in the US, no more fat sailor moons at cons.
Well as far as I know in Buddhism being fat is not really good as being fat means one is greedy with their good and greed is against the idea of Buddhism. Anyway good law I suppose as it is for a good cause. Now being fat is alright as I heard that one could be healthy and be fat, but obesity is obviously a major problem.
Also I have a question are there lot vegetable type of cooking in the Untied States? Because in East Asia there are lot more vegetable cooking so I suppose the diet there is more healthy and result I think this law is more practical.
Old 2008-06-25, 14:44   Link #11
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Well as far as I know in Buddhism being fat is not really good as being fat means one is greedy with their good and greed is against the idea of Buddhism. Anyway good law I suppose as it is for a good cause. Now being fat is alright as I heard that one could be healthy and be fat, but obesity is obviously a major problem.
being fat as child is a sign of good health in China becuase it means you are getting enough to eat. However when you are older it just means you are lazy.
Old 2008-06-25, 14:51   Link #12
Slice of Life
eyewitness

So, has chocolate already been outlawed?

"Freedom is always the freedom of dissenters."
Old 2008-06-25, 14:52   Link #13
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
So, has chocolate already been outlawed?

"Freedom is always the freedom of dissenters."
unless the price of freedom is pay for by someone else.
Old 2008-06-25, 15:25   Link #14
tenken627
what Yagi said

It is definitely more of an "image" deal instead of a "health" deal. Look at how many smokers Japan has. Or any Asian country. You would think that health bills from smoking related problems would be an even more expensive burden than from obesity.

The obesity problem in Japan is very minor compared to other countries (I read that Australia has the highest percentage of obesity in their population). But, a large percentage of the Japanese population smoke cigarettes.
tenken627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-25, 15:28   Link #15
Fome

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
It is definitely more of an "image" deal instead of a "health" deal. Look at how many smokers Japan has. Or any Asian country. You would think that health bills from smoking related problems would be an even more expensive burden than from obesity.

The obesity problem in Japan is very minor compared to other countries (I read that Australia has the highest percentage of obesity in their population). But, a large percentage of the Japanese population smoke cigarettes.
Indeed, Japanese people smoke like crazy. Someone in the article actually made the same point, stating that smoking is a far larger contributor to health problems than obesity. So it is probable that this law is largely motivated by "image."
Old 2008-06-25, 15:33   Link #16
tenken627
what Yagi said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fome View Post
Indeed, Japanese people smoke like crazy. Someone in the article actually made the same point, stating that smoking is a far larger contributor to health problems than obesity. So it is probable that this law is largely motivated by "image."
I always joke that I smoke a lot because it's part of my culture (Korean).

I guess it's a good idea to make overweight people try to get more healthy, but at least call a spade a spade.

And yes, Japanese people are very image conscious.

I wonder if they will have special considerations for their sumo wrestlers.
tenken627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-25, 15:40   Link #17
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
unless the price of freedom is pay for by someone else.
This is a multi-purpose argument to crush any opposition. Nobody is an island and everything we do has somehow in some way consequences for everybody else. There is a price we all have to pay together for the sake of everybody's individual freedom. I rather pay a bit more health insurance because some obese dude might on statistical grounds cost more than let the government poke their nose into my private affairs until they find something they consider having some vague negative impact on society. Who defines what's "negative" anyway.

BTW whose who die young don't receive pensions.
Old 2008-06-25, 15:40   Link #18
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fome View Post
I think that there is an ulterior motive besides health--many people just don't want to look at so many overweight people. They won't admit it, but while they make noble declarations of promoting health, they secretly just wish that their countrymen were more attractive. People can be fairly shallow.
It's a bit different, actually. Japan uses a national health insurance system. Fat and otherwise unhealthy people are a potential strain on that system. The argument against this is that if you want to take it that far, then do genetic testing and discriminate against people who are genetically destined to have health problems. It's a bit of a silly counter, though: the health impacts of obesity are real and can be avoided, but you can't really do anything about your genetics. (Yes, you could still take preventative measures, but you can't change your genetics.)

In America, if you're overweight or otherwise high-risk, it's either you who will be paying the premiums for care and higher health insurance, or your company. It doesn't affect society as much. Japan likely wants to stave off an epidemic that could possibly bring their system down or at least strain it.
Old 2008-06-25, 15:58   Link #19
Usuratonkachi
An Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
I wonder if they will have special considerations for their sumo wrestlers.
Nah, sumo wrestlers aren't obese. That's mostly muscle, not blubber fat.
Usuratonkachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-25, 16:00   Link #20
Lanner Falcon
Lord of the Crimson Realm

Thumbs down

Japan aside, such a law is absurd to America.
That's "progressive" for you…

And it sheds a whole new light on government "healthcare".