Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-03-13, 19:11   Link #1721
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
Or it could be that they don't want to show a Japaneses city being destroyed at this time.
That would make sense as well, yeah...

Well, as long as some station is airing it, that's good. A pleasant surprise actually. I was prepared to have to wait an extra week or two for Episode 11 given how hard Japan was just hit.
Old 2011-03-13, 19:20   Link #1722
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Well, as long as some station is airing it, that's good. A pleasant surprise actually. I was prepared to have to wait an extra week or two for Episode 11 given how hard Japan was just hit.
I'm the same as well. Currently, they have bigger problems to deal with, so entertainment lie anime can wait.

Of course, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the last two episodes ended up being heavily edited for the televised version in order to tone down the destruction of the city.
Old 2011-03-13, 19:22   Link #1723
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Or it could be that they don't want to show a Japaneses city being destroyed at this time.
I've seen a similar thing happen before with 9/11 and American media companies removing/reshooting entertainment scenes with the World Trade Center in them. Spiderman was one example. Things were really sensitive around that time, for good reason.

Japan does sometimes censor or choose not to air sensitive shows during certain big news moments. Shigofumi was one I remember, there were others as well.

It does seem that not every station believes and/or follows the same path of censorship though. There will probably be at least one station that airs it (close to) on time and unedited.
Old 2011-03-13, 19:24   Link #1724
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
I'm the same as well. Currently, they have bigger problems to deal with, so entertainment lie anime can wait.

Of course, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the last two episodes ended up being heavily edited for the televised version in order to tone down the destruction of the city.
I wouldn't have a problem with that, given the circumstances. Especially since action scenes have never really struck me as one of the primary draws of this anime (not like they are in Nanoha, for example).

If they do engage in such editing, though, I really hope that they put the unedited episodes on the DVDs and Blu-Rays. In fact, that might be a good way to market them...
Old 2011-03-13, 19:28   Link #1725
justavisitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I've seen a similar thing happen before with 9/11 and American media companies removing/reshooting entertainment scenes with the World Trade Center in them. Spiderman was one example. Things were really sensitive around that time, for good reason.

Japan does sometimes censor or choose not to air sensitive shows during certain big news moments. Shigofumi was one I remember, there were others as well.

It does seem that not every station believes and/or follows the same path of censorship though. There will probably be at least one station that airs it (close to) on time and unedited.
I don't really know how it works...but I thought the anime studio will do the editing and send it to the TV station?? I know TV station can do some minor edit, but I suspect there will be some major editings if they want to edit the last two episodes...
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-13, 19:31   Link #1726
duckroll
綺羅星★!

I think there's a misunderstanding here. There has been nothing announced about any station dropping Madoka. TBS/MBS is the main broadcaster for Madoka, so if they do drop it, don't expect it to air on any other channel.

What has happened is that TBS did not air episode 10 of Madoka, because like every other free to air channel in Japan they have been broadcasting round the clock news reports about the disaster. This means that most entertainment programming has been preempted over the weekend, including almost all new anime. Episode 10 is only out right now because MBS airs it a day before TBS, and that was before the quake hit.

Currently there are no announcements as to whether Madoka will be affected by the disaster in terms of actual content. The preempting of episode 10 on TBS had -nothing- to do with content. Having said that, I would not be surprised if they decide not to air the remainder of Madoka at all due to content. That's just my opinion based on previous incidents like this, it has not been hinted at or announced in any official capacity.

If it does not air on MBS/TBS, it will -not- air on any other channel. This has to be made very clear. It will either be delayed to a future webcast on the site, or it will not be available at all until the final DVD/BD volume arrives in stores. I do not think they will bother to edit anything. It will either air as it is, or it will not air at all.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-13, 19:41   Link #1727
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Ah, that makes sense. I appreciate the clarification. I don't believe that airing anything is important right now (except news obviously) given the severity of the situation. Having to wait longer just for a story to finish is nothing compared to knowing that people are safe and the country is recovering from a terrible disaster.
Old 2011-03-13, 19:44   Link #1728
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Ah, that makes sense. I appreciate the clarification. I don't believe that airing anything is important right now (except news obviously) given the severity of the situation. Having to wait longer just for a story to finish is nothing compared to knowing that people are safe and the country is recovering from a terrible disaster.
Yes, I have to agree.

Given the circumstances, I'd be supportive of a future webcast, if MBS/TBS opt to not air Episode 11 this coming week.
Old 2011-03-13, 19:49   Link #1729
justavisitor

same here...they are recovering from a disaster here and that's the most important thing

Besides, I would rather wait longer for the unedited version (I read what duckroll said about the editing,just saying...)

Well, hope they can recover fast...last time I checked the news there is a volcano going weird on the other side of Japan....sigh
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-13, 19:50   Link #1730
duckroll
綺羅星★!

I think in general, the main problem most stations will face will be finding slots to air the stuff they skipped last week. That will be something they have to tackle before they think of airing the episodes after that. Other shows like Gosick and Star Driver are also affected. We'll have a better idea of what will happen by midweek this week.

I would imagine even the broadcasters are still uncertain as to what they will do, seeing how there are now rolling blackouts nationwide in Japan to conserve electricity. There are much larger problems in the country than just entertainment programming at the moment.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-13, 20:04   Link #1731
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Japan does sometimes censor or choose not to air sensitive shows during certain big news moments. Shigofumi was one I remember, there were others as well
Higurashi and School days were also other examples of shows that were affected due to RL events.

It's much you like you said with the Spiderman example. It's best to avoid controversy at this time.
Quote:
If they do engage in such editing, though, I really hope that they put the unedited episodes on the DVDs and Blu-Rays. In fact, that might be a good way to market them...
I don't think there should be any worry about the content on the DVD releases. They are usually marketed as being a ''completed'' version in the first place, so whatever happens, it's going to be the unedited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
snip
Thanks for the clarification.
Quote:
I think in general, the main problem most stations will face will be finding slots to air the stuff they skipped last week. That will be something they have to tackle before they think of airing the episodes after that. Other shows like Gosick and Star Driver are also affected. We'll have a better idea of what will happen by midweek this week.
Finding time doesn't seem to be that big of a problem, but I don't think that even if they find thee time to air it, that many will be watching in the first place though.
Quote:
I would imagine even the broadcasters are still uncertain as to what they will do, seeing how there are now rolling blackouts nationwide in Japan to conserve electricity. There are much larger problems in the country than just entertainment programming at the moment.
Yeah, I don't think that anyone there really care about the scheduled programs on TV right now.I wouldn't be surprised if things in the entrainment industry there shuts down for a while (I don't think many are in the condition to buy anything like a luxury product like anime atm), especially with surviving this situation being more important.

My heart goes to everyone there, and hope that they get out of this alive
Old 2011-03-13, 20:46   Link #1732
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

The opinion of an American, non-paying viewer like myself should have no influence on what a television network in Japan decides to air. Currently Japan has severe problems; let them choose what they think is best to air.

But if you ask me, Japan should not cancel or censor Madoka. Here is why.

To take pleasure in the tragedy of fictional characters, only to avert one's eyes when tragedy hits the real world, seems very cowardly and hypocritical. You will watch fake people suffer in anguish, but not after real people do. No. Once the anime gets too real, it becomes too overwhelming to people to watch. Therefore, the anime gets taken down.

I watch Madoka because it makes me sad. I accept that the anime may be making a controversial statement about real life; hopes and dreams may not exist, and the world is miserable. Turning away from that message because it so accurately connects with a current event is downright disrespectful to the author. He wants viewers to face their repressions, thoughts we have sealed away because they were too gripping and heart-breaking. That is what makes Madoka so compelling to watch.
Deconstructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-13, 21:00   Link #1733
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Although I'm not disagreeing with the idea that removing escapism is always a good thing (sometimes all the "reality" of life does get a little overbearing), there's logistical problems that have to be considered, as pointed out by duckroll. It isn't as simple as hitting play and turning on the monitor. There are severe problems with Japan right now, and a big part of this is infrastructure...there was a ton of stuff damaged, food and water is scarce in some regions, there's a huge number of refugees with nowhere to go, energy disruptions, etc.

What's on tv is the least of their worries.
Old 2011-03-13, 21:04   Link #1734
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deconstructor View Post

To take pleasure in the tragedy of fictional characters,
Not everybody who is watching Madoka Magica is watching it for this reason. I'm certainly not watching it for that reason.

And in fact, didn't you yourself write this? Rather than tragedy, you seem to be hoping for a miraculously good end.

That's perfectly fine, of course, but that certainly doesn't seem to jive at all with the reasons that you're now giving in this thread for watching Madoka Magica.

There are some things that are more important than entertainment. What is happening in Japan right now and recently is definitely one of them.

Let's be respectful, and give the Japanese people some time, if that is what they feel they need.

Madoka Magica Episodes 11 and 12 should absolutely be shown at some point, of course, but it's no big deal if we have to wait a little bit of extra time for it.
Old 2011-03-13, 21:47   Link #1735
sa547
*Author

I'm okay now, if the next episode is to be preempted by the networks to deal with the shock and reality of the disaster. I can wait.
Old 2011-03-13, 22:11   Link #1736
Bane Rieko
Dreamer

Send a message via MSN to Bane Rieko
If I have to wait for a Blu-Ray release like Bakemonogatari, I could not care less about the time wait.

Japan is in a state of CRISIS, it is far more important for them to get back on their feet rather than for them to be airing anime for the fans. While I do not think that by any means they should censor the show (I was always against this sort of thing, as it makes little sense to me personally), waiting a few weeks for a broadcast, having to watch a web-release, or waiting for a disk release is perfectly understandable.

Judging by the final episode, seeing that the opening had scrolling credits, for all we know they planned for a disk release of the final two episodes to start with. Heck, I'd be HAPPY for the final two to be two different endings! I was perfectly content with episode 10. Heck, for me, that COULD be the ending (though I know this would make more people angry then myself happy).
Bane Rieko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-13, 22:17   Link #1737
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

Quote:
There are severe problems with Japan right now, and a big part of this is infrastructure...there was a ton of stuff damaged, food and water is scarce in some regions, there's a huge number of refugees with nowhere to go, energy disruptions, etc.
I understand if Japan cancels Madoka due to economic or infrastructural reasons. Those are undeniable, and it is not my place to criticize based on circumstances I have not experienced.

However, I do not agree if Japan cancels Madoka due to the potential anguish it might cause their viewers. Everyone has experienced their share of misery... and this show does its best to draw out those repressed memories. Urobuchi and Shinbo put their hearts into creating this anime. It seems unfair to turn away when the emotional effect is at its greatest, simply because it may be too much for viewers to handle.

Quote:
Not everybody who is watching Madoka Magica is watching it for this reason. I'm certainly not watching it for that reason.
So, you do not take pleasure in watching Madoka suffer. But do you deny that is one of the major reasons why people watch this show? I mean, the misery is right in the viewer's faces. People are either going to stop watching because it offends them, or continue watching out of schadenfreude. Schadenfreude!

Quote:
And in fact, didn't you yourself write this? Rather than tragedy, you seem to be hoping for a miraculously good end.

That's perfectly fine, of course, but that certainly doesn't seem to jive at all with the reasons that you're now giving in this thread for watching Madoka Magica.
I want Madoka to suffer UNTIL the final episode. I do not wish for Madoka to suffer any more than that. Life is cruel... but with no light at the end of tunnel, why should we continue to live?
Old 2011-03-13, 22:34   Link #1738
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deconstructor View Post
So, you do not take pleasure in watching Madoka suffer.
No, I don't.

Quote:
But do you deny that is one of the major reasons why people watch this show?
For some people, probably, yes.

I'm just saying that it's incorrect to imply that all viewers are watching this because they enjoy watching fictional characters suffer.

Quote:
I mean, the misery is right in the viewer's faces. People are either going to stop watching because it offends them, or continue watching out of schadenfreude. Schadenfreude!
Or people will keep watching in the hopes that the characters overcome this misery and become stronger characters for it.
Old 2011-03-13, 22:49   Link #1739
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

Quote:
Or people will keep watching in the hopes that the characters overcome this misery and become stronger characters for it.
For the final episode, when Madoka is shown as a stronger, more confident person, you will watch 11 episodes of Madoka suffering? And only take pleasure in the last episode, but not the 11 episodes of misery?

I am skeptical.
Old 2011-03-13, 22:50   Link #1740
Dr. Casey

I agree with everyone that a delay is of course perfectly understandable (Though I'll still be hoping Madoka 11 comes this week), but I don't know why everyone's feeling the need to state that as though anyone said anything to the contrary... the tone of the last page feels almost defensive whenever this many people drill the message in, and I don't see why. This thread isn't exactly filled with uncaring, self-entitled people crying out 'How dare Madoka be delayed!' Seems like we're arguing against an invisible enemy here...

I do have to wonder about the practicality of delaying the episode for sensitivity reasons, though (Or the basic concept in general, for that matter). If the subject matter of a television episode is capable of stirring up strong emotions because of something that very recently happened, the issue probably isn't ever too far away from the mind of those certain effected people anyway. Not airing that one episode where buildings were destroyed in Pokemon, for example, the week or two after September 11th always seemed kind of pointless. Those who lost family were probably still constantly aware of what happened, it's not like they'd be happy and carefree, skipping around and singing a merry tune were it not for television reminding them "Oh yeah, my dad died last week."

Meh. I'm not really complaining, if they want to delay the episode because of what happened that's fair enough... I just have to wonder whether there's any measurable positive impact, or whether sensitivity related episode delays are anything but a well-intentioned but ultimately pointless gesture.

Last edited by Dr. Casey; 2011-03-13 at 23:07.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
despair, hope, madoka magica, magical girl, urobuchi gen