Old 2013-05-23, 18:06   Link #461
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

lol found it in another forum. I rofl'd at the wan wan jokes. :P
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 18:09   Link #462
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I guess you might say the Japanese are more 'receptive' to the new Xbox ?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 18:23   Link #463
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
Let's see how the Japanese feel about Xbox One.

Spoiler:
oh nice, so i can start calling it Xbark wan now.

woof! woof!
Old 2013-05-23, 19:03   Link #464
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
http://penny-arcade.com/report/artic...t-could-be-the

http://penny-arcade.com/report/artic...d-i-doubt-youl

And it begins, the gaming media will now tell us the mistake of our ways, that it is actually a great thing that there is a used game fee, the secondary market should be destroyed, and we never should have been allowed to actually own the games we bought

un-fucking-believable.
Yeah, I like how the main reason seems to be some intrinsic belief that if sales go up, prices will go down. Uh, no, they will not. If that were the case, all those stupid shooters should cost $15.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 20:46   Link #465
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

I'm pretty sure many people that I know only buy games because they know they can sell it later, or at least trade in for something else when they finish it. The ban of used games won't raise their sale, but lower it instead no doubt. Heck, even a collector as myself occasionally trade my games with my friends, and those games were only bought because I knew some of my friends have interest in it.

I just hope Sony won't fuck it up. One disaster is enough.
Old 2013-05-23, 22:50   Link #466
problemedchild
ô_ô

It's rather comical watching people gushing about how amazing Steam is and while mocking Microsoft's rumored used game policy. Sure glad I'm able to sell off those Steam games I don't play anymore! Hypocrisy at its best.

Nearly nothing besides how the Xbox One looks has been revealed at this point, it's pretty foolish to pass judgement on it at this point. Wait until the final product comes out and you've had a chance to use it before passing judgement. I though people learned this lesson when the iPad was revealed and the entire Internet mocked its existence until everyone bought one.
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 22:57   Link #467
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemedchild View Post
Nearly nothing besides how the Xbox One looks has been revealed at this point, it's pretty foolish to pass judgement on it at this point. Wait until the final product comes out and you've had a chance to use it before passing judgement. I though people learned this lesson when the iPad was revealed and the entire Internet mocked its existence until everyone bought one.
Oh, I'm pretty sure we learn alot more than just how it looks...
Old 2013-05-23, 22:58   Link #468
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
It's rather comical watching people gushing about how amazing Steam is and while mocking Microsoft's rumored used game policy. Sure glad I'm able to sell off those Steam games I don't play anymore! Hypocrisy at its best.
If you want Xbox1 to directly compete with Steam, go on ahead.

You seem to be missing the point that the only reason we put up with Steam, is that PC gaming offers many advantages Consoles don't have. Complete control over mods, for example.

Xbox1 will have inferior specs to most PCs. And yet it doesn't have the convenience of "insert disc and play" of consoles. You can say "but it is just like Steam!", but we will see if they offer Steam Sales like Valve does.
Old 2013-05-23, 23:21   Link #469
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
don't you know that as long as you backpedal on something, it doesn't count?
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 23:30   Link #470
problemedchild
ô_ô

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Most of the "information" outside of what's been told in the press conference are unconfirmed rumors. While speculation is fun, wait until E3 when you actually have facts instead of rumors to form your opinion. Although I suppose it's too late for that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Xbox1 will have inferior specs to most PCs. And yet it doesn't have the convenience of "insert disc and play" of consoles. You can say "but it is just like Steam!", but we will see if they offer Steam Sales like Valve does.
Most PC's will not have a specifications better than that of a Xbox. Especially with the prevalence of $500 laptops that have terrible integrated GPUs. Most people don't have $700 plus desktops catered towards gaming anymore.

The whole used game policy still isn't confirmed yet though, so we can speculate all we want until we have actual information from MS.
Old 2013-05-23, 23:32   Link #471
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Most of the "information" outside of what's been told in the press conference are unconfirmed rumors. While speculation is fun, wait until E3 when you actually have facts instead of rumors to form your opinion. Although I suppose it's too late for that...
But those are directly from the recently press, and from the people inside of MS, too. I hardly see any rumor here.

Unless you're counting the backpedaling.
Old 2013-05-23, 23:37   Link #472
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:

In addition to some of the things others have pointed out, also take into consideration how second hand sales of PC games have never been major but that used games has always been a big part of consoles and handhelds. MS wants to eliminate that with their new console, and if they are successful, Sony will no doubt follow suit and they (MS and Sony) will change the used game policies standards of consoles.

We don't know if Sony was planning to do similar things, to be fair. However, Sony is taking note of this very bad backlash against MS. If they planned similar things, I think it is safe to conclude that 1) They'll scale back some of their plans for PS4 (that are similar to the XBO things people hate and dislike), and 2) If they follow suit in some ways, it won't be as bad as what we see with XBO. Still, like I said, if XBO is very successful, than the gen after next, every console maker is probably going to trounce all over consumer rights.

Consoles used to be about "pop in a disc and play". What we see with the XBO is not a video game console. It places a huge emphasis on TV and sports features, for one, and then it eliminates the "pop in a game and play" aspect and used game aspect, and what we are left with with the XBO is a multimedia device that is basically a somewhat weak PC for your living room that can never be upgraded. The XBO has what I call some 'anti-consumer' aspects. Also, MS doesn't care about giving gamers a gaming system anymore. Games will be a big part of XBO, but people have known that MS got into the console biz (with the original XBox) with the goal of becoming 'the' company for your living room, and now people can see that clearly with XBO. MS doesn't want to make the most compelling video game console with XBO. We see it clearly now they just want to be the company that dominates the living rooms of homes all throughout America.

To be fair, Sony has the same goal. We can only hope that Sony doesn't make all the same blunders that MS has with XBO, and we can only hope that Sony will cater to gamers more with PS4 than MS seems to want to do with their XBO. And at least with Steam, we can see they really care about gamers who game on PC. In fact, Steam is doing wonders for PC gaming. Steam is revitalizing PC gaming, even.

Edit: Just saw this...

Quote:
Most of the "information" outside of what's been told in the press conference are unconfirmed rumors.
That isn't true. Most of the very serious backlash is over things revealed in interviews from MS execs following the press conference that happened on May 21.
Old 2013-05-23, 23:39   Link #473
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Please discontinue the use of your reality distortion field, or you're going to get sued for copyright infringement by Apple.

Explicit and unequivocal statements given by Microsoft executives to the press are "unconfirmed rumors"?

Quote:
Most PC's will not have a specifications better than that of a Xbox. Especially with the prevalence of $500 laptops that have terrible integrated GPUs. Most people don't have $700 plus desktops catered towards gaming anymore.
Most PCs that aren't used for gaming purposes, yes. Those that are bought/built and used for games? think again. In any case, comparing hardware between PC/Console as direct equals is pointless, the way they're utilized is too different.

Quote:
The whole used game policy still isn't confirmed yet though, so we can speculate all we want until we have actual information from MS.
We did. They backpedaled when the overwhelming reaction was an explosion in their face. Go ahead and frame that as "unconfirmed" if you want, but don't ask the rest of us to join you in burying your head in the sand.
Old 2013-05-23, 23:43   Link #474
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

The 360 had very, very, very visible and clear efforts from Microsoft to appeal to the Japanese market.

And what it happened? It failed.

And while it's deceptive to assume this early on, the impressions is that ONE doesn't even 1/10th of the 'impressions' that it's even trying to be competitive there, this time.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 23:45   Link #475
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Yeah no.

Those aren't rumors anymore.

And the whole "wait for E3" excuse reminds me of DmC again, "Wait for the game to release!".

Prediction - E3 is not going to be able to save them now; what you see is what you get.
Old 2013-05-23, 23:46   Link #476
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

my god wat an ugly looking console, PS4 for me
Old 2013-05-23, 23:50   Link #477
problemedchild
ô_ô

Quote:
Please discontinue the use of your reality distortion field, or you're going to get sued for copyright infringement by Apple.

Explicit and unequivocal statements given by Microsoft executives to the press are "unconfirmed rumors"?
Which was then denied by other MS sources. It would be nice if they could get their story straight though.

Here is the official statement from Xbox.com

Quote:
Q: Will Xbox One allow players to trade in, purchase and play pre-owned games?
A: We are designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games. We’ll have more details to share later.
It does definitely look like Microsoft is attempting to control the used games market to a certain extent, but isn't that game developers have been asking for quite sometime? It's anti-consumer for sure, but it might have the ability to attract some developers onto the platform because of royalties from used games that they so desire.

Quote:
Most PCs that aren't used for gaming purposes, yes. Those that are bought/built and used for games? think again. In any case, comparing hardware between PC/Console as direct equals is pointless, the way they're utilized is too different.
A lot of people don't have gaming PCs, else consoles wouldn't be selling at all. Which goes back to the point that the PS4 and Xbox will likely be better gaming devices for a lot of people doesn't it?

Last edited by problemedchild; 2013-05-24 at 00:03.
Old 2013-05-24, 00:00   Link #478
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Which was then denied by other MS sources. It would be nice if they could get their story straight though.
It was not "denied', they backpedaled and called it "potential scenarios". Note that they didn't say "No, there is no daily-on DRM, or no, there is no used game fee", all they've said since backpedaling are corporate double speak that doesn't mean jack shit.

Quote:
A lot of people don't have gaming PCs, else consoles wouldn't be selling at all. Which goes back to the point that the PS4 and Xbox will likely be better gaming devices for a lot of people doesn't it?
False dichotomy, having one doesn't prevent the other. I have gaming PCs and consoles, the two caters to somewhat different demographics, but there is a lot of overlap as well.
Old 2013-05-24, 00:08   Link #479
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
It was not "denied', they backpedaled and called it "potential scenarios". Note that they didn't say "No, there is no daily-on DRM, or no, there is no used game fee", all they've said since backpedaling are corporate double speak that doesn't mean jack shit.
Yeah, Kyp is right. They are backpedaling and said that PR b.s. "potential scenarios". But it isn't really potential scenarios for MS right now. All those things that people hate about XBO, MS really want to be aspects of XBO. MS doesn't want to go back on them. MS wants things like 24 hour logins with the system and used game fees, or having the Kinect always connected and always on, despite seeing that so many people hate those things.

They are backpedaling now, but MS wants all these things that people are citing in this huge backlash against XBO.
Old 2013-05-24, 00:09   Link #480
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:

So if the executives themselves don't know what the machine can or can't do, that speaks volumes about their company.

And no, it's not "can't get their story straight", it's obviously damage control from the shitstorm hitting them hard.