AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-01-07, 11:20   Link #621
Hakuromatsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
One thing that bothers me is the constant comparison between MaoYuu and Spice&Wolf. I know it's inevitable due to the voice actors but... for me Holo & Lawrence are one of the best couples in all fiction, period. They don't instantly fall in love with each other. Their feelings develop over of the course of many adventures, through intelligent dialogue and getting to know each other better and better.
Nail on the head. Even if this is true --
Quote:
Originally Posted by zRichard View Post
Maoyuu's romance will be a side-dish.
-- I've had many meals spoiled by subpar side-dishes.
Hakuromatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-07, 11:23   Link #622
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post

In this anime instead, we have the Demon "King" who is already in love with the Hero for no discernable reason,
This certainly hasn't been proven yet, but I just figured that the Hero's reputation precedes himself as is the case with many fictional heroes. And the Demon King loves him on the basis of reputation and fame (kind of like how a teenage girl might love Justin Bieber without ever meeting him ).

It doesn't make for a great romance in and of itself, of course, but I don't think it rules one out either.

Quote:
while the Hero acts like a prude middle-schooler.
The Hero is getting way too much flak for how he handled the Demon King's advances in this episode.

The guy went into the Castle fully expecting to have an epic struggle with someone like Zelda's Ganon, and instead he was confronted by a female Demon King trying to seduce him. It's only natural that would give him a bad case of mood whiplash, and that he'd be a bit clumsy in psychologically "shifting gears" here
Old 2013-01-07, 11:31   Link #623
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickadams View Post
I translated the second frame of "The Obscure Troubadour's Song" in the ending animation, and yes, THERE ARE SPOILERS HERE.
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Seeing as it keeps going in this vein with endless, huge walls of text, I wouldn't be surprised if there's major spoilerage for the entire season.

EDIT: Corrected one word per RW's suggestion. I'm translating the next frame now, and it continues on with the spoilers, as expected. It goes on for 4-5 frames, with the last frame(s) scrolling through a humungeous wall of text, so I'm thinking there's enough spoilage for two cours.
Have you read any of the Manga adaptations? Because that...

Spoiler for Next stuff:

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-07, 11:44   Link #624
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
The Hero is getting way too much flak for how he handled the Demon King's advances in this episode.

The guy went into the Castle fully expecting to have an epic struggle with someone like Zelda's Ganon, and instead he was confronted by a female Demon King trying to seduce him. It's only natural that would give him a bad case of mood whiplash, and that he'd be a bit clumsy in psychologically "shifting gears" here
If I may add:
This didn’t appear in the anime, but even when Hero was caught off-guard by the unexpected “cuteness”, his resolve to slay the Demon Queen to make the world better is still strong. He only agreed to lay down his sword after DQ asked him to give her half a day to explain things, and if he doesn’t like what he's about to hear, DQ would let Hero to take her life. I guess that’s one important thing that didn’t make it into this episode.

PS: for anime-only watchers, refrain yourself from reading spoilers the best you can ^^.
Old 2013-01-07, 12:48   Link #625
Nico87

They obviously had to cram in lot of stuff at the beginning/first episode to be able to cover the LN'n over only 12 episodes. I thought it was weird at first how Hero gave up so fast, but it made sense after thinking about it for a couple of minutes.

Just think of it like the explanation of the world/economy and the flashes of the prince and the people in the bar lasted for 5 hours. Like Obelix wrote, DQ asked for half a day.

Last edited by Nico87; 2013-01-07 at 13:10.
Nico87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-07, 14:08   Link #626
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroz View Post
Having said that, the chemistry between them is amazing (though I'd read the manga already so I won't say too much)
Let's be honest here. When it comes to romance, Maoyuu's a love comedy. For those of us who, like me, like the genre, it's great. We'll definitely laugh at the characters' antics. But those looking for a serious romance should look elsewhere.

Maoyuu's a deconstruction of fantasy RPGs, of their glorification of war, and even of the modern view of war as an unmitigated horror. It can be thought-provoking, inspiring, and certainly funny. But it doesn't try to be a serious romance. For all the common points with S&W (including the human x fantasy creature angle), the approach to romance is completely different.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-07, 14:11   Link #627
Nico87

Also, someone needs to tell me whether I should read the manga (adaption, not the spin-offs) or the novel(s).
Old 2013-01-07, 14:15   Link #628
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico87 View Post
Also, someone needs to tell me whether I should read the manga (adaption, not the spin-offs) or the novel(s).
well unless you read japanese, the novels are off. The manga is currently up to c21. Which included material into the 2nd cour if it get done.
Old 2013-01-07, 14:20   Link #629
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

THIS. The fact that she actually wasn't trying to seduce him, and that she was generally pleasant and polite would be really off putting. There are other reasons as well, but that would be spoiling.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-07, 14:34   Link #630
Nico87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
well unless you read japanese, the novels are off. The manga is currently up to c21. Which included material into the 2nd cour if it get done.
Well, Vermilion Grey are in the process of translating the first volume now, around 60% completed so far.
Old 2013-01-07, 16:39   Link #631
M.Marangio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickadams View Post
I translated the second frame of "The Obscure Troubadour's Song" in the ending animation
There were some errors in the frame (frienship instead of friendship and the icons for the big M and W were the same).

Here are the next frames (spelling errors included).
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Last edited by M.Marangio; 2013-01-07 at 17:55. Reason: added frames
M.Marangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-07, 19:04   Link #632
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico87 View Post
If you don't have access to the novel yet, you can start with the "Kotowaru" manga.

Try searching for a Maoyuu manga with this artwork:
Old 2013-01-07, 19:41   Link #633
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Wow, thanks for the translations guys, although I was surprised to see that the ending covers stuff even the Kotawaru manga hasn't yet. How the hell are we getting all through all of that in 1 cour.....
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-07, 22:09   Link #634
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-08, 00:14   Link #635
Hakuromatsu

Are these series ending spoilers? I'm inclined not to read them.
Hakuromatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-08, 00:22   Link #636
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Hakuromatsu: Nope, but they do give you an idea about everything up to the current content/chapter of the "Kotowaru!" manga.
Old 2013-01-08, 02:30   Link #637
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well, I'm in for a few episodes at least. Worth a probationary look.
Old 2013-01-08, 03:44   Link #638
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
Wow, thanks for the translations guys, although I was surprised to see that the ending covers stuff even the Kotawaru manga hasn't yet. How the hell are we getting all through all of that in 1 cour.....
Yeah when i noticed that there was a bit in the opening that matched up with someing that was part of the current issue of the Kotawaru manga I knew we were going to get quite a bit of triming on stuff. Even though a good amount was cut between Hero and Deamon Lord I do think it does it justice. Although I do miss the way the manga has DL spell out that what the rulers were doing was just makeing him an assassin and that would not end the war.

As for romance the ep makes it clear that both DL has been crushing on Hero for a while and from the comments that the mage from Hero's party makes he's not too experienced with women and DL was basicly telling him to mary her. Of course he's going to freak.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-08, 05:06   Link #639
Key Board
Carbon

I still maintain my long held opinion that the translators should have went with "Overlord" as a reference to Disgaea

Just my two cents
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-08, 08:44   Link #640
s07195
However,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Or Chinese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Marangio View Post
There were some errors in the frame (frienship instead of friendship and the icons for the big M and W were the same).

Here are the next frames (spelling errors included).
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
That's...quite far along.

Tags
economics, fantasy, harem