Closed Thread

Old 2012-05-29, 20:38   Link #21681
flying ^

Exclusive, undercover bombshell !!!

Planned Parenthood encouraging gender-selective abortion

and to top it all off...

MEDICAID fraud

Quote:
“This was a multi-state, national investigation demonstrating that this is a widespread problem across our country,” Live Action president Lila Rose told The Daily Caller in an interview Monday.

“First of all, the statistics and studies indicate that we are adding to the growing problem across the world of sex-selective targeting of unborn girls for abortion. We are going to be demonstrating — starting with this video from Texas — that the abortion industry in the United States is aiding and abetting this horrific problem.”

The first in what Live Action says is a series of videotaped incidents exposing American abortion facilities’ willingness to assist in sex-selection abortions took place at a South Austin, Texas Planned Parenthood clinic. In the footage, a Planned Parenthood counselor appears to readily assist and advise a Live Action actor who said she was trying to obtain an abortion if her baby is female.

“In this video, what is astounding is that Rebecca, the Planned Parenthood counselor, starts arranging with the actor about how to get a late-term abortion,” Rose said. “To wait until her pregnancy is so developed that — and using Medicaid for this, using the state to pay for the ultrasound to determine the gender, and then to do a late term abortion if it was a little girl.”

http://dailycaller.com/2012/05/29/pr...tions/?print=1
Old 2012-05-29, 21:03   Link #21682
flying ^

^

My takeaway:

See the incremental approach at work here.

You can see how a lot of people would, when asked, answer that they don't think that gender selection abortions should happen...

and then BOOM!

... another legal precedent set for limiting abortions.

This approach is currently underway in the congress.

http://thehill.com/blogs/healthwatch...ctive-abortion
Old 2012-05-29, 22:13   Link #21683
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
More of the same. Underneath the obvious fearmongering and appeal to the conscience of female voters, it's simply another bill that seeks to slowly chip away at the legal foundation of Roe v. Wade.

The abortion shitstorm has nothing to do with the rights of the unborn. It has nothing to do with morality. It has everything to do with saddling women with children at a young age, thus excluding them from holding positions within political, economic and social power structures.

Nobody has an abortion because they simply want to. That's a Republican-invented fiction. People have abortions for many reasons, most often because of the choices available it is the lesser evil.

So why make abortions illegal? Why make contraception harder to obtain? Simple, to limit the sexual and social freedoms of women, by forcing them to either completely abstain from sexual activity (while men are not impacted in any way, shape or form) or risk having children at very young ages. Raising children takes a tremendous amount of energy, money and effort and by increasing the incidences of young mothers, it decreases the likelihood that these women will enter the workforce at a high enough level to threaten the positions and status of their male counterparts.

"Pro-life" is just another word for "stay in the kitchen, bitch." Just another path toward rebuilding the religious-based subjugation and objectification of women from the days of yore. These people aren't happy that women aren't considered property any longer, and they're willing to move heaven, hell and earth with their bare hands to set women's rights back a thousand years.
Old 2012-05-30, 05:08   Link #21684
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
"Pro-life" is just another word for "stay in the kitchen, bitch." Just another path toward rebuilding the religious-based subjugation and objectification of women from the days of yore. These people aren't happy that women aren't considered property any longer, and they're willing to move heaven, hell and earth with their bare hands to set women's rights back a thousand years.
It's probably true for the politicians and big shots than call themself pro-life; their supporters aren't thinking that far, they are beliving the bullshit their are being delivered.
Old 2012-05-30, 05:57   Link #21685
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry

I see nothing wrong in that video of PP. The lady, although not following correct protocol for these ridiculous "stings", answered the questions in an unbiased and truthful manner.

It's not like she said "Yeah, if it's a girl, let us know and we'll get her right out of you!".
Old 2012-05-30, 11:55   Link #21686
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Right, its really not their job to "judge" a person for their reasons - they just offer and explain the options available.

Seriously, a significant portion of the US is simply batshit insane, suffering from mass hysteria, and a complete lack of critical analysis in their brain wiring.
Old 2012-05-30, 15:33   Link #21687
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Were soldiers ever called heroes before the 20th century propaganda machine?

Heracles is a hero. Odyseus is a hero, heck even Kira Yamato is a hero (even if he whines too much). A soldier that holds off 50 other enemy soldiers at the risk of his own life in order to protect the rest of his injured platoon, could be a hero. But your average joe soldier isn't a hero, he's just doing his job. Calling all soldiers heroes devalues both terms. It implies it's not good enough to be just "a soldier", and likewise it leaves no more terms for labelling the truly heroic.

The soviets had the right idea by making their ultimate award "Hero of the Soviet Union", even if they did subsequently devalue it by awarding it as birthday gifts.
Yeah as someone who has a bit of a hero fetish and who is fascinated by cults of heroism and even the idea of heroism in general (to me it's the highest honor to which any person can aspire) I'm more than a little bothered by how the media has managed to devalue the concept. Now being a hero basically means dying tragically while doing your job or surviving some horrible ordeal through whatever means.

The New York fire fighters who worked at Ground Zero are heroes (propaganda tools) simply for doing their job, although I'm sure the vast majority of them will deny that they are, they just want their pension and their health benefits to which they are entitled. Elizabeth Smart is a hero for getting kidnapped and managing to not die during the process, but when she takes up the cause of trying to help ensure that less kids have to go through what she did nobody seems to give a fuck, they just want to hear HER story.

To me a true hero of war is someone like John Basilone who almost singlehandedly defended his unit and position from a Japanese rush at Guadalcanal that numbered in the thousands by carrying a heavy machine gun around from point to point (which burned his hand to the point where the skin was falling off) for several days without stopping to rest. That's something that took a tremendous amount of strength, endurance, courage and self-sacrifice that went well and above the call of duty and earned him a much deserved Congressional Medal of Honor. I hope they don't just hand those out like cake these days, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Of course Chris Hayes will probably lose his job or be subject to heavy backlash from this because in this era of America being run by rhetoric and what I'd describe as a bit of a manchild like outlook him questioning how the term hero is used will be skewed to make him look unpatriotic and we all know that it's every American's duty to shut up, not question what soldiers are being sent over there to do and to support our goddamn troops. HOORAH!!!

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2012-05-30 at 15:46.
Old 2012-05-30, 16:23   Link #21688
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

At least we have generally shifted from questioning the troops and badmouthing them for doing their jobs, to questioning the policy makers and badmouthing them for sending the troops to places. The Vietnam Vets didn't have that luxury. Even the ones that didn't want to go in the first place (draftees).
Old 2012-05-30, 17:37   Link #21689
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Yeah as someone who has a bit of a hero fetish and who is fascinated by cults of heroism and even the idea of heroism in general (to me it's the highest honor to which any person can aspire) I'm more than a little bothered by how the media has managed to devalue the concept. Now being a hero basically means dying tragically while doing your job or surviving some horrible ordeal through whatever means.

The New York fire fighters who worked at Ground Zero are heroes (propaganda tools) simply for doing their job, although I'm sure the vast majority of them will deny that they are, they just want their pension and their health benefits to which they are entitled. Elizabeth Smart is a hero for getting kidnapped and managing to not die during the process, but when she takes up the cause of trying to help ensure that less kids have to go through what she did nobody seems to give a fuck, they just want to hear HER story.

To me a true hero of war is someone like John Basilone who almost singlehandedly defended his unit and position from a Japanese rush at Guadalcanal that numbered in the thousands by carrying a heavy machine gun around from point to point (which burned his hand to the point where the skin was falling off) for several days without stopping to rest. That's something that took a tremendous amount of strength, endurance, courage and self-sacrifice that went well and above the call of duty and earned him a much deserved Congressional Medal of Honor. I hope they don't just hand those out like cake these days, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Of course Chris Hayes will probably lose his job or be subject to heavy backlash from this because in this era of America being run by rhetoric and what I'd describe as a bit of a manchild like outlook him questioning how the term hero is used will be skewed to make him look unpatriotic and we all know that it's every American's duty to shut up, not question what soldiers are being sent over there to do and to support our goddamn troops. HOORAH!!!
I don't think "hero" has to be an all or nothing proposition. And on a scale of heroism, I'm pretty sure people who sign up to run into burning buildings (yes, for pay and pension - we've all got bills to pay) rate higher than people like... me, with our quiet deskjobs. Sure, plenty of firefighters live to retire, while I may get mugged and killed tomorrow. Or get a heart attack within the next two decades. But still.
Old 2012-05-31, 00:13   Link #21690
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by cors8 View Post
I see nothing wrong in that video of PP. The lady, although not following correct protocol for these ridiculous "stings", answered the questions in an unbiased and truthful manner.

It's not like she said "Yeah, if it's a girl, let us know and we'll get her right out of you!".
what about that part about medicaid... don't you find that part in that undercover clip... just plain wrong?

btw i live in an enviroment where there's lots of Armenians... and to some of these guys abusing medicaid is like a sport!
Old 2012-05-31, 04:10   Link #21691
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Bedouin seize two U.S. tourists in Egypt's Sinai
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...84U0DL20120531
That's not gonna help the tourism there...
Old 2012-05-31, 07:52   Link #21692
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
what about that part about medicaid... don't you find that part in that undercover clip... just plain wrong?

btw i live in an enviroment where there's lots of Armenians... and to some of these guys abusing medicaid is like a sport!
Abusing Medicaid is not exclusive to PP. If you want to crack down on Medicaid abuse, targeting only PP is not a valid way to do it.

That said, I don't believe anything this group does until they show all the unedited footage from EVERY "sting", not just cherry-picked ones where they may be able to edit a normal situation into something worse.
Old 2012-05-31, 11:07   Link #21693
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by cors8 View Post
Abusing Medicaid is not exclusive to PP. If you want to crack down on Medicaid abuse, targeting only PP is not a valid way to do it.

That said, I don't believe anything this group does until they show all the unedited footage from EVERY "sting", not just cherry-picked ones where they may be able to edit a normal situation into something worse.
It has "acorn" and "swift boat" waist-deep bullshit written all over it... can we say "not credible"? Anecdotal edited unverified video from a group dedicated to eliminating PP as a premise? ... heh ...
Old 2012-05-31, 12:37   Link #21694
AnimeFan188

Report: Chavez's cancer in 'end stage'

"Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has an aggressive cancer and only has a few
months left to live, HDNet reported.

A source close to Chavez and knowledgeable about his medical condition said the metastatic rhabdomyosarcoma has "entered the end stage," and that the president
isn't expected to "live more than a couple of months at most," HDNet's "Dan Rather
Report" reported Wednesday."

See:

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-Ne...6701338470253/
Old 2012-05-31, 13:38   Link #21695
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
-Snip-
It's quite interesting how the opposite is happening in Korea: The anti-abortion movement is growing to fight against the pro-abortion lobby.
Old 2012-05-31, 14:10   Link #21696
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
It's quite interesting how the opposite is happening in Korea: The anti-abortion movement is growing to fight against the pro-abortion lobby.
and one thing's for sure...

your country is on a righteous path to become the 2nd most Christian East Asian country.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8322072.stm
Old 2012-05-31, 14:30   Link #21697
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
and one thing's for sure...

your country is on a righteous path to become the 2nd most Christian East Asian country.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8322072.stm
I've always found this really weird. Everywhere else in the world christianity is on the retreat, or finding it difficult to make any inroads (like in China, Japan). But Korea has had a christian movement spring up, with the vast majority of converts in the last 50 years. Very strange.
Old 2012-05-31, 14:34   Link #21698
flying ^

BREAKING: Prenatal Nondiscrimination Act (PRENDA), failed on a 246-168 vote on House floor.
Old 2012-05-31, 14:38   Link #21699
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I've always found this really weird. Everywhere else in the world christianity is on the retreat, or finding it difficult to make any inroads (like in China, Japan). But Korea has had a christian movement spring up, with the vast majority of converts in the last 50 years. Very strange.
Remember Korea has been under chinese or japanese rule, they have their own writing (instead of using chinese kanji and japanese hiragana) so it makes sense they would also want their own religion to further diferentiate themselves from heir neighbors and since it is easy to adopt a religion than creating one...
Old 2012-05-31, 15:06   Link #21700
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
Remember Korea has been under chinese or japanese rule, they have their own writing (instead of using chinese kanji and japanese hiragana) so it makes sense they would also want their own religion to further diferentiate themselves from heir neighbors and since it is easy to adopt a religion than creating one...
I don't buy that. East asians aren't particularly religious in the first place, and don't have any kind of "monoreligious" concept the way westerners do. They already have seperate indigenous beliefs from the Chinese (who have chinese folk religion) and Japanese (Shintoism). Koreans have shamanism.

Certainly I don't see how imitation of the west would play into nationalist sentiments. That would be like Ukraine taking up Buddhism en masse to differentiate itself from Russia, an absurd notion.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international