AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans S2 - Overall Series Impressions
Perfect 10 0 0%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 20 43.48%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 23.91%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 8.70%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 4.35%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 4.35%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 8.70%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 2.17%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 4.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2017-04-11, 04:13   Link #21
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Sometimes, people just get lucky.
With how the scene played & executed, I don’t think it was luck and the writers never meant it as a lucky shot either. It’s totally intentional shot to the thruster and McG hit it when Barbie was busy fighting Gali’s Schwalbe Graze. If you watch that scene again, you’d likely swear that McG is a brilliant sniper.

Also, McG has been on-point when it comes to finishing off mooks. He wasted half a dozen Graze Ritters in the atmosphere like nothing, and he basically did the same with other mooks. His only MS-battle weaknesses so far is named characters and Mobile Armors . So yeah, McG is not perfect, but he’s not a lousy shot either.
Old 2017-04-11, 04:16   Link #22
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

No, no, Obelisk, I meant Iok and Gaelio's survival being instances of luck, not McGillis landing that shot on Mika. :k
Old 2017-04-11, 04:19   Link #23
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
No, no, Obelisk, I meant Iok and Gaelio's survival being instances of luck, not McGillis landing that shot on Mika. :k
Oh, sorry. I thought you replied directly to me .
Old 2017-04-11, 09:19   Link #24
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Overall series impression ...

Back then, IMO S1 is slow--while some people find it touching, deep; my thought is 'how long it takes, if I had that much time, I'll forgot about the conflict already'. Biscuit death not impressed me given how, despite how much they valued Biscuit, I don't see any Tekkadan member truly understand that his rational thinking come from more natural background is also as irreplaceable as his existence for the organization.

S2 is pretty much entertaining in good sense.

- Gaelio is still alive; kinda suspected this when Okada and Nagai said they like Gaelio, but still entertaining.
- Orga going "I'm (gonna be) the King of the Mars!" a la DiCaprio in Titanic; ironically they share same fate of died near the end.
- McGillis that shown to be schemer with mask during S1, became exactly like a child with new toy after gain access to Bael.
- Enemies? Mostly, "What is Tekkadan?", sometimes "Die in battlefield is awesome!", until "OMG! SOMEBODY HELP ME!"

My award goes to Rustal.

Him being antagonist with grey morality while also serving as Final Boss is just awesome;
The usage of Dainsleif, a banned weapon (if used with its real bullet), truly fit him with his grey morality.

Its nice how his experience with Tekkadan and McGillis pretty much told him how the system created those like McGillis and Tekkadan, which is danger to stability. His decision to reformed the system to democracy combined with child protection agreement definitely the best answer following his personality and goal.

Rustal definitely see through his opponents background carefully that he can made, what some people consider, a decision unfitting his position, which IMO not true given his movement secure a lot of things enough to keep him above while also preventing same incident happens, example, by having Julietta and Kudelia taking the important role.

My Final Score is 7.5/10
Old 2017-04-11, 14:29   Link #25
Ernietheracefan

Best girl: Atra.
Best woman: Amida.
Best bro: Naze.
Best villain: Rustal.
Best scumbag: Idiok.
Overall: 9/10.

While comparing Tamayura with Aria is more like comparing Vividred with SW.
Ernietheracefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-15, 16:35   Link #26
ServantOfPriss
Slowpoke

Not a particularly good Gundam series. It's weak on most fronts, with the mechanical and character designs are its strongest aspects, but these in turn are largely wasted on very cheap animation that is not on par for Sunrise's standards.

Then again, management probably allocated most of the budget for Thunderbolt and the upcoming Twilight Axis, so it's somewhat understandable. That said, the animation issues don't excuse the subpar story and mostly-uninteresting characters. The concept of the series itself was good and lent itself for some promising characterization, but Okada really ends up falling on the same issues that she has on previous series she has worked on.

I look forward to the upcoming, inevitable spin-offs, however, which are sure to come, considering how hard they're trying to push this series.
ServantOfPriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-15, 16:54   Link #27
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Cheap? This Gundam's animation was cheap? What're you comparing it to, freakin' remastered Unicorn?
Old 2017-04-15, 17:01   Link #28
ServantOfPriss
Slowpoke

Being fair and to provide a recent example of comparable format: Gundam 00, both seasons. IBO had good stills, but once things actually started moving...

One thing is to dismiss things are them being simple "in-betweens", which are fairly common even in high-budget anime like Gunbuster or Gundam Unicorn, and something else is for a large part of the show to look like everything is done in in-betweens.
Old 2017-04-17, 12:43   Link #29
wissenschaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deim |Envy| Astaroth View Post
Ss 2 wasted quite a lots of potential for me, for example Hush has some potential, but after Mika is crippled he becomes his carrier, and stop grows as a character. Or Julietta, Iok and Rustal, feel loke they should have more characterization and development so that we the viewer could became engage with them and accepted their victory, especially Iok like Hush has a lots of rooms for development and mature. Mika is nothing but a living plot-device. And Mcgillis, oh my Mcgillis, i understand that the ending is unique and realistic portrayal of war, i cant deal with the fact that Okada has make him a complete fool in order to give Rustal an unpperhand. While he is obsess with power in ss1, he understand politic, but expecting a plan that involves stealing a robot, doing some cool poses, then forcing others to listen to him to work is just plain stupid.

And while Gaelio's character arc is the thing i love the most abt the anime, you've to admit that his return as Vidar leaves too many unanswer question right ? How could he survive Mc's attack, how can he escape the battlefield, how come that nobody know that his body was missing ? And why didnt he report immediately about Mcgillis actions instead of waiting until Mcgillis becomes the leader of Gjarhorn by default ? If he do it, then SS2 wont have happened, and Tekkadan would had peacefully doing their business. And continue with how Mcgillis got turned into a idiot, if Mcgillis spare Gaelio, it would just make his character worse.
I mostly agree except I don't think this was a realistic portrayal of war. This was a nonsensical war. Zeta gundam was a far better portrayal of war. I'm not sure what this was but it wasn't war. I'd call it bad writing.

I avoided saying this before but honestly, having taken time to reflect on the series, I'm going to say it. Gundam reconguista in g was a better show. Yes, gundam reconguista in g. The plot of the show had far too many factions but at least everyones motivations made sense and the ending made sense. Despite all the problems the show had, it left me in a good mood when it ended.

I'll try not to rant here since I know I can have very different views of shows than other fans. Many love Gundam 00 and yet I kind of hate that show. Suffice to say, I really disliked this ending. But IBO had more problems than the ending. Plot points and character developments were brought up and then dropped. What was the point of the metal gear we got midseason? What was the point of a whole bunch of characters in the show? You could write them out and little would change with the overall story.

Last edited by wissenschaft; 2017-04-17 at 13:03.
wissenschaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-17, 14:24   Link #30
ServantOfPriss
Slowpoke

It felt somewhat like 00 in that regard, in which they put in a lot of elements with potential, but many of them were wasted due to being resolved too quickly or just outright dropped. And even in this regard, 00 was still better and was able to somewhat salvage itself at the end of the Seacond Season (even as tacked as it was).
Old 2017-04-17, 20:48   Link #31
AswgLaghima08

IMO the show overall is worth the watch and the pain. Could things have been better? Yea of course .as with anything, but for what was presented to me I enjoyed it.
From everything ive read on here and reddit most people hste the Dainsleif or its usage as an OP weapon. But imo no matter how I look at it those aren't real Dainsleif. Yamagi even tells Shino that his SGC was a real one in his Lockon moment. More or less those are glorified Bombing railguns. They only ise the power of a Graze ahab reactor and a long spear.
Lets say Flauros uses 2 long Dainsleif for long distance large targets and Ships and Conventional shaped Dainsleif rounds like the ones used against Hashmal just made out of Mobile suit frame material. Then I could understand why the use of such a weapon would be banned. But you cant give Tekkadan a freebie using Flauros when even with a regular roumd it's still using 2 ahab reactors. Hell his SB cannon mode can damage ship armour and double tap MS. The only real threat the GH Graze Dainsleif are OP is because of their numbers, but arent our Knights always fighting against greater numbers? All im saying is that it is better storyline wise based simply on what was shown and said in the show and other materials that Dainsleif be the fall for them, Flauros used right could do serious damage anywhere. Id shut that shit down too Rustal style not Iok stylet. And thats why most people dislike it. Others wanted more MA but that serves zero purpose on the story, yes its compelling that they would lose alot of people and their bodie ala Mika but who does that help. In season 1 i was for Tekkadan doing their thing because of their livesand Kudelia was going to fix Mars , Season 2 comes around and yes Kudelia is working in politics at the moment but she is doing valid work for the Mars economy and public infrastructure through Teiwaz and the Admoss company, but Tekkadan on the other hand Even though they Literally made it to their place the moment they became legit, thanks to their Gusto more Human Debris and battle are being fought and lost around the outersphere, Gh social standing has fallen, most people seem to think that GH was EVIL but at most they were greedy in their lust to keep stability and another CW from happening which Rustal basically averted by Crushing the rebellion and Tekkadan. Cause had Choco won things wouldve gotten way worse than as good as they've got it now
AswgLaghima08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-18, 05:18   Link #32
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
The technical definition of a Deinsleif is to have the special launching mechanism that's needed to use the mobile suit frame material Special KEP Bullet, which otherwise can't fire it. The Ahab Reactor setup is irrelevant when it comes to its technical definition.

Is Flauros' more powerful than the Graze? Definitely because it has more output, but they're all real Deinsleifs and they're all banned (when using the special bullet). They're not even the same size or type, because you have more heavy bazooka double reload types like the ones used by the Graze and you have the single lance duo version used by Kimaris Vidar.

Presumably the combination of the rare material plus special launch mechanism of the railgun is considered to be dangerous for only this combo be banned, as they're technically not banned as individual items only as a combo.

======

I think those who are saying that the Deinsleifs are OP are talking about their usage as a whole, which includes their huge numbers on Team Rustal and not just the firepower of a single shot. Personally though, I have no issues with them in the story, but that's just me. I sort of see understand where the complaints are coming from even if I'm okay with it.

Last edited by SonicSP; 2017-04-18 at 06:45.
SonicSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-18, 07:04   Link #33
AswgLaghima08

No arguments here with that, I just like the Dainsleif, overall I think as another relic from the CW it makes more sense to have used it according to what was given to us ,more MA would've at best given us more room for a 3rd season
AswgLaghima08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-18, 07:54   Link #34
darkone45

Quote:
Originally Posted by wissenschaft View Post
I mostly agree except I don't think this was a realistic portrayal of war. This was a nonsensical war. Zeta gundam was a far better portrayal of war. I'm not sure what this was but it wasn't war. I'd call it bad writing.

I avoided saying this before but honestly, having taken time to reflect on the series, I'm going to say it. Gundam reconguista in g was a better show. Yes, gundam reconguista in g. The plot of the show had far too many factions but at least everyones motivations made sense and the ending made sense. Despite all the problems the show had, it left me in a good mood when it ended.

I'll try not to rant here since I know I can have very different views of shows than other fans. Many love Gundam 00 and yet I kind of hate that show. Suffice to say, I really disliked this ending. But IBO had more problems than the ending. Plot points and character developments were brought up and then dropped. What was the point of the metal gear we got midseason? What was the point of a whole bunch of characters in the show? You could write them out and little would change with the overall story.
I have to agree with this after some time G reco was 100% the better show, I still don't understand what they were trying to do with Hush, remember this guy got a lot of screen time in the first 7 episodes ( more so then Akihiro or Shino ) what dose that tell you ? it says the time spent establishing him feels like time that would have been better-spent on the rest of the cast. His story gets a narrative push, and then is just dropped. He has a consuming drive to become a mobile suit pilot and to never feel like a burden to anyone else ever again and then he is a pilot but even more of a burden ( which really sucks ) , and the plot mostly just forgets about him until he gets a death scene. This isn't to say that he should have been a stronger pilot, or anything like that.
If you remove Hush entirely from Season 2, the plot doesn't change much at all. In a series that is as short on character development time as IBO is, that kind of trimming is crucial. Also it feels like the writers intended something more for him (again, not necessarily more in terms of him getting better as a pilot; more so more of a narrative role), but that those plans just fell through. He has the beginnings of a side-arc, but that gets aborted very early on, and from that point forward, he's just around until he dies. But the first handful episodes of S2 clearly, objectively shows that Hush was built up to be more than merely a side character. But IF the directors and writers did, in fact, have Hush turn out to be merely a side character from the beginning, then all that focus in Early S2 is then nothing but a waste of time.
darkone45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-18, 11:01   Link #35
Muu094

The Dainleif in the series had no real counter and the accuracy issue seemed to only come up when used by the Flauros whereas the amount of Dainsleif Rustal uses seemed to solve that problem. Still thing Rustal would have won regardless die to having more ships and Gaelio on his side.
Muu094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-18, 11:17   Link #36
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by wissenschaft View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone45 View Post
I have to agree with this after some time G reco was 100% the better show, I still don't understand what they were trying to do with Hush, remember this guy got a lot of screen time in the first 7 episodes ( more so then Akihiro or Shino ) what dose that tell you ? it says the time spent establishing him feels like time that would have been better-spent on the rest of the cast. His story gets a narrative push, and then is just dropped. He has a consuming drive to become a mobile suit pilot and to never feel like a burden to anyone else ever again and then he is a pilot but even more of a burden ( which really sucks ) , and the plot mostly just forgets about him until he gets a death scene. This isn't to say that he should have been a stronger pilot, or anything like that.
If you remove Hush entirely from Season 2, the plot doesn't change much at all. In a series that is as short on character development time as IBO is, that kind of trimming is crucial. Also it feels like the writers intended something more for him (again, not necessarily more in terms of him getting better as a pilot; more so more of a narrative role), but that those plans just fell through. He has the beginnings of a side-arc, but that gets aborted very early on, and from that point forward, he's just around until he dies. But the first handful episodes of S2 clearly, objectively shows that Hush was built up to be more than merely a side character. But IF the directors and writers did, in fact, have Hush turn out to be merely a side character from the beginning, then all that focus in Early S2 is then nothing but a waste of time.
Are you seriously arguing that IBO is worse than G-Reco just because characters like Hush is underdeveloped? Oh yeah, let's just forget a bunch of characters that G-Reco tossed around including the superfluous Noredo Nug (who is mostly useless even though she is one of the prominent protags of G-Reco) just so that you can push your point to us by ignoring facts. Her character is just as wasted as Hush and even worse in some aspect.

And to wissenschaft who argued that G-Reco's character motivation made sense: I give you the flip-flopping Manny Ambassada who I swear was bipolar what's with the way she wanted to be friends with Bellri & co and wanted to kill them in the next scene.

And that's just two problems amongst a mountain of other problems in G-Reco's writing & execution. Yeah.....better show my ass (I like the animation, visuals & art-designs though).

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2017-04-18 at 11:33. Reason: Adding more quote
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-18, 12:08   Link #37
wissenschaft

Noredo Nug at least had a hot cheerleader outfit. She never felt like a main character. Just a supporting character. Manny Ambassada motivations still made sense. She supported her love, period. Sure, its nasty that she so quickly turned on her friends but thats more an issue of pacing.

Anyway, this is why I was hesitant to even mention it because I knew it would be controversial. All I can say is how I feel and for me, I just enjoyed G-Reco a lot more than IBO. The animation/artstyle, action, and even story were more fun. I really enjoyed watching the show even if at parts it made me laugh at the sillyness of certain events, such as Manny.

Of course, like I said, I'm weird. I dislike gundam 00 and I'm totally a UC fanboy. So yea......feel free to disagree.

Last edited by wissenschaft; 2017-04-18 at 12:25.
wissenschaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-18, 12:30   Link #38
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Ah, the bias is made clear. Little wonder that UC fanboyism appears once again to ensure no one is allowed to enjoy anything even remotely different.
Old 2017-04-18, 12:32   Link #39
wissenschaft

Quote:
Ah, the bias is made clear. Little wonder that UC fanboyism appears once again to ensure no one is allowed to enjoy anything even remotely different.
Hey now, thats not fair. I never once said others couldn't like IBO. These are my thoughts on the series. Everyone is free to disagree. If you like IBO, thats OK. If this was an IBO appreciation thread then I wouldn't be posting out of respect to fans. But its not so I'm giving my opinion.

As for UC fanboyism, I like G Gundam and Gundam Wing but kind of dislike Gundam 00 and IBO season 2. IBO season 1 was a bit slow but fun. Its not the first time I liked the first season of a gundam but disliked the second season. Same thing happened with gundam seed.

Not sure what that says about my tastes. I think I'd pick gundam unicorn as my current favorite.
Old 2017-04-18, 12:53   Link #40
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

You're right, it's not fair. It never has been with UC fans.