Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2019-10-13, 18:52   Link #61
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
I personally disagree on this, mainly because there's a particular vibe in this series that I think has the potential to be explored in more depth if they pursue it: namely, the mentality of the divers versus the NPD's. It's clear that both parties regard the situation within the campaign completely differently, i.e. the NPD's treat this as a life or death situation that threatens their livelihoods, whereas the divers only take the situation seriously as far as it being a mission in the story chain is.

This is best shown by their treatment of the battle simulation, where most of the team are pretty much satisfied by having accomplished the objective of "defending" the town by virtue of there being a sliver of HP left on the objective. Yet, if you look at it from the NPD's perspective, such a "victory" would pretty much be pointless as the town would've been destroyed with massive casualties. It's only really Hiroto who's dissatisfied with the results, mainly due to his past experience with his mysterious girl.

The fact that we can't even blame the divers for thinking this way since it really actually is a game is something that I feel wouldn't work that well if this really was an actual isekai.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
But that would be explored even better in a proper Isekai setting, just do something similar to Log Horizon where there is a clear difference between the people that come from the real world and those in the new world. Just have them be transported into a world similar to the game and have them think it is and treat it like the game due to their status as "Builders" making them sort of demigods. Then have them explore the concept of life and death when it comes to the NPD's and their livelihood, this way there is more levity to the situations and us the viewers and the characters themselves can actually feel the consequences of their actions without it feeling fake due to the NPD's just being computer programs.
I agree with Lowe.

And to add to that, I think the option/convenience of "being able to just log out anytime you want" that the protags still have (for now) will provide even more contrast & conflict to Hiroto & co. between treating the furry world and its NPD as mere game campaign or treating them like real people who need help. If Hiroto & co got (too literally) transported/trapped into that furry world without convenient access to go home, relating to those NPDs would've been much easier coz they are forced to spend times with them/people of the land like the Log Horizon protags did.

In short, giving the protags options/choices will provide more potential for good drama. Whether or not RR can execute it well is another question.
Old 2019-10-13, 23:26   Link #62
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
But that would be explored even better in a proper Isekai setting, just do something similar to Log Horizon where there is a clear difference between the people that come from the real world and those in the new world. Just have them be transported into a world similar to the game and have them think it is and treat it like the game due to their status as "Builders" making them sort of demigods. Then have them explore the concept of life and death when it comes to the NPD's and their livelihood, this way there is more levity to the situations and us the viewers and the characters themselves can actually feel the consequences of their actions without it feeling fake due to the NPD's just being computer programs.
Log Horizon had the premise though that being an actual isekai meant that the adventurers had to take their new lives *seriously*, and that they can no longer treat their circumstances as just "being a game".

Whereas here, they're not stuck in another world, but are just playing a game they can log out of. It creates a vastly different base of mentality, and also allows for stuff like the battle simulation in episode 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post

In short, giving the protags options/choices will provide more potential for good drama. Whether or not RR can execute it well is another question.
This is ultimately the question yes. Hoping ReRise actually gives a good telling of the themes and conflicts it's laying out within just these two episodes.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-17, 09:04   Link #63
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Ep 3.

Pretty nice episode. finally an actual tactic in build series. Marsfour introduction is very cool also.

Also, May say her Wodom is "2 eyes". hint a secret Gundam inside? hoping Turn A or X.

Kazami actually being useful here. even though he is still dumbhead.

Next episode we had Parviz development.

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-17, 12:13   Link #64
Tenzen12

I also hope that Wadom has some trump card... but it would suck if it was Gundam. Non-Gundams mobile suits deserve more love.
Old 2019-10-17, 20:48   Link #65
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Ep. 3 is neat. There’s nothing super excellent in it, but I like the battle. Our team can’t go all out and can’t destroy the landscape more than what they agreed with the villagers so that adds some real limitation, especially for Hiro’s E3 Gundam. He can no longer use his super-charged rifle/cannon coz that will undoubtedly obliterate the village’s pathway so he had to use lower output, melee & simple roadblock tactics. And it’s good that he brought M4 as a backup in case an enemy comes through the roadblock (which of course it did). M4’s no-beam-weaponry melee nature prevented the enemy to blow up and wreck the village. Neat stuff and a lot better than the many battles in GBD.

Now, let me get this off my chest: it’s three episodes in and I don’t like the big guy at all (can’t be arsed to remember his name, I’d rather use my brain-cells for better things). He’s like Patrick Colasour with all his annoying tendencies but none of his charms. He’s loud, brash, an eyesore and can’t even do his job properly. The only good things he did in this episode is shielding Parv from getting shot and at least being an additional muscle to the mission (but not very good at it). It’s pretty telling that the oldschool “He used it as a springboard?!!”-scene from MSG was applied to him coz he was the one holding the idiot ball during the battle. Still expecting a good development from him, the sooner the better.

Next episode is putting highlight on Parv. Let’s hope it’s good.
Old 2019-10-24, 06:44   Link #66
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Captain Zeon pretty campy lol. Same voice as Tigerwolf or Rommel I think.

Last edited by RRW; 2019-10-24 at 07:31.
Old 2019-10-24, 08:55   Link #67
Tenzen12

It's pretty much as I was afraid. I mean yes BUILD DiVERS are supposed be makeshift team, but I would expect more interaction normaly. But half team don't even bother talk for most time and remaining two are introvert and guy who is completely self-absorbed. Well I guess Hiroto-Parvis is start, but there should be more going on team interaction wise imho.

That said I like story so far, NPC people are pretty cool and it obvious there are stakes there.
Old 2019-10-24, 17:51   Link #68
zerodragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
It's pretty much as I was afraid. I mean yes BUILD DiVERS are supposed be makeshift team, but I would expect more interaction normaly. But half team don't even bother talk for most time and remaining two are introvert and guy who is completely self-absorbed. Well I guess Hiroto-Parvis is start, but there should be more going on team interaction wise imho.

That said I like story so far, NPC people are pretty cool and it obvious there are stakes there.
i really like the story, the viewers know that it something strange going on and it not a game. i get the feeling that May seem to know more then she lets on

characters aren't bad but they need the development to grow on me. i see the order of
character growth by Parvis, May and finally Kazami with the discover that everything is real
Old 2019-10-25, 10:35   Link #69
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Finally managed to watch ep. 4 and it’s yet another good episode.
Captain Zeon's introduction (although not the real character) is as flashy and OTT as I expected. And he has Rommel’s voice IIRC which is yet another homerun decision. I dont know how many of you noticed, but the fact that the “Gaza Brothers” got obliterated by an Axis drop is a big irony since the Gazas are well-known as Haman’s army which are supposed to protect the Axis. I guess you can say that Captain Zeon punished those brothers by reminding them the weight of their Gaza's responsibility . Anyway, Captain Zeon (avatar?) is definitely a keeper, and I like that RR made him into somewhat of a TV show or “G-tuber” which is faithful to his origin as a children show propaganda. Good stuff.

And I like that our team is still struggling. And Hiroto was right, there was no teamwork when they did that mission. Speaking of the mission, I like that we actually has a serious fight against a Bound Doc (minus the doofus antics) when the previous Bound Doc fight that we had is from the GBF movie which was a one big gag. I like how the Doc looks menacing in this eisode which we haven’t seen since...Zeta? Yeah, gimme more of that serious Doc, please. Oh, and we now know that E3 Gundam’s supercharged cannon’s weakness is that it takes too long to reload and now Hiro is making a spare beam cannon fro the mission price to compensate. Actual strategies being a big part of this show is something I truly like.

Quote:
That’s kinda the point though. Hiro’s team is not just a makeshift-team like he said. It’s worse. Each one of these individuals aren’t really fit to be in the same team in the first place. First, we have two stoic & distant individuals who’d rather work alone (Hiro & May), then we have a super-shy kid with no confidence whatsoever who can’t even talk properly to other people without stuttering (Parv), and lastly, we have a certain glory-hogger self-proclaimed leader who is overconfident as heck and boasts a lot but has no great skill and he also never bothered to understand his teammates. Their communication skills are really bad and their interactions suck, as it should. By all means, this team is doomed to fail in reality, but if the story want to stick with this team and develop them, we’d better see their struggle from zero teamwork to gradually getting better. And I’m thankful that RR is willing to walk the slow struggle path (so far). A smooth-sailing protag-group like Riku & co were in GBD is the last thing we need in this show.
Old 2019-10-27, 08:20   Link #70
Tenzen12

Unfortunately realistic isn't sane as entertaining. At this point we should see at least potential of team and around episode 6 or 7 team should be already fully consolidated.

It's matter of avoiding stagnation.
Old 2019-10-28, 20:59   Link #71
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Unfortunately realistic isn't sane as entertaining. At this point we should see at least potential of team and around episode 6 or 7 team should be already fully consolidated.

It's matter of avoiding stagnation.
Oh, we already saw some potentials all right. Hiro already proved his solo work since episode 1 and he has proven strategist role in episode 2 & 3. May already proven herself as a capable player throughout the episodes and especially in this one. And now we're starting to delve into Parv and his potential bond with Hiro. The potential is there and it's progressing naturally and still enjoyable to watch. Speaking of an enjoyable watch, here's more fun review of the episode:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2019-10-29, 03:47   Link #72
Tenzen12

I am doubting May and Hiro's individual ability, but if we talk about promise of teamwork and future relationships between characters we still didn't get enough.

reRise due it's plot, but doesn't use characters properly yet, which earns it some negative points.
Old 2019-10-29, 04:52   Link #73
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
I am doubting May and Hiro's individual ability, but if we talk about promise of teamwork and future relationships between characters we still didn't get enough.
It seems you want things to progress unnaturally-fast in this particular RR case. Even the OP protag-team from GBD was still finding out its identity by episode 4, and not all members were present yet. Do you actually want this show to be worse than GBD?

Quote:
reRise due it's plot, but doesn't use characters properly yet, which earns it some negative points.
It really depends on what your definition of "proper" is. Looking at your comment above, it seems your "proper way" is something that I don't necessarily agree with, so I'm glad the show goes the other way.
Old 2019-10-29, 04:57   Link #74
Tenzen12

Again it's not about character getting all chummy or something, but we got 4 episode with single case of character interaction. Even clashing heads and hating each others guts would be better, because it would mean they at least are able see/talk to each other which would introduce problems that have to be adressed to get team eventually work.
Old 2019-10-29, 05:20   Link #75
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Again it's not about character getting all chummy or something, but we got 4 episode with single case of character interaction. Even clashing heads and hating each others guts would be better, because it would mean they at least are able see/talk to each other which would introduce problems that have to be adressed to get team eventually work.
Single interaction? What are you saying, mate? We got the group interacting witch each other since episode 1. Of course the interactions are not the smooth kind considering how awkward three of them are and how brainlessly brash one of them is:
  1. First: They interacted a little when they crossed path when finding out the “hidden quest” for the first time.
  2. Second: They discussed things when they tried to take on the first mission. Hiro came up with the simulation training and then later on suggesting to the group to not damage the village area. That is a meaningful group interaction for this makeshift team that you shouldn’t ignore.
  3. Third: In this episode, the team is having another discussion about the second mission. The big doofus suggested to take on a similar mission to train. They cleared the mission but their teamwork is still piss-poor for a one-&-done mission training. Obviously they still need the simulation training where they can repeat the scenario again & again to improve their teamwork.
  4. Fourth: Finally, Parv tried to open up with Hiro and Hiro gave him an encouragement somewhat (also, May is getting increasingly annoyed by the big doofus).

All of them are decent group interactions that leads to (slow) growth considering how incompatible they are in the first place.
Old 2019-10-29, 05:46   Link #76
Tenzen12

Yeah nothing that would include actual interaction, except last one.
Old 2019-10-29, 06:41   Link #77
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

^ Well, you certainly have a different definition of interaction compared to the common meaning.
Old 2019-10-30, 20:29   Link #78
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

Huh. Neat. The MC remind me Mikazuki of IBO, less loud and less idiot that something we need for BUILD series
Also did anybody suspect Kazami is alter ego of Captain Zeon? the opening strongly hinted they are same person.
Diluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-31, 07:10   Link #79
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Hiroto is very expressive this episode

Old 2019-10-31, 08:10   Link #80
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Ahhahahahhahaa.......
Spoiler for plot point: