AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2009-11-29, 01:56   Link #1641
Shikimori Kazuki
Angeloid Type β - Nymph

at first when i read this i was thinking about Medaka and Zenichi + their relationship than more characters jumps into the boat. But....it seems like people jumps in and out and in and out of the boat instead. I'll read this regardless, cant leave something 1/2 finished..
Shikimori Kazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-29, 15:02   Link #1642
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
@ darknemo, i particularly donīt read stuff i donīt want to in a magazine if it bores me, e.g. you donīt necessarily read every single article in a playboy/FHM/womenīs magazine u buy, nobody forces u to do so, hence if there would be that much of disinterest, why bother reading given articles/manga chapters?

the fact that it doesnīt get votes means it is disliked, but on the other hand read, since there is quite a lot of feedback, this thread e.g. spawns a whole lot more than really good manga that are ongoing/decent
LeaD36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-29, 17:20   Link #1643
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaD36 View Post
@ darknemo, i particularly donīt read stuff i donīt want to in a magazine if it bores me, e.g. you donīt necessarily read every single article in a playboy/FHM/womenīs magazine u buy, nobody forces u to do so, hence if there would be that much of disinterest, why bother reading given articles/manga chapters?
In many cases works 'since I already bought it, it would be a waste not to..." syndrome, besides its not clear how many of those who buy read all of the manga's inside.

Maybe quite a number do not read Medaka at all and this is what is reflected in low ratings...

Quote:
the fact that it doesnīt get votes means it is disliked, but on the other hand read, since there is quite a lot of feedback, this thread e.g. spawns a whole lot more than really good manga that are ongoing/decent
It does not mean it is popular. It just means it has more active/loud fans (or anti-fans) for better or worse.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-29, 17:56   Link #1644
ZODDGUTS

New rankings:

Quote:
Issue 1 Bottom 5:
Bakuman
Medaka
Hokenshitsu
Psyren
Ane Doki

http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=14
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-30, 04:00   Link #1645
Westlo
Lets be reality

Psyren finally cracks top 3 and than goes to bottom 5 two weeks in a row, ouch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
That's just the point. Medaka IS the manga. You can't have one character support a manga on its own-- you need a good support cast to back it up.
Oh I agree, I just read Yankee-kun to Megane-chan vols 4-6 yesterday and while I liked it for the first 3 volumes as it expanded the cast I'm liking it a heck of a lot more.

Quote:
Medaka Box's support cast consists of a gallery of one dimensional people who can come and go without people realizing they were ever there, and that includes Zenkichi.
While true none of what you've said shows why Zen should be on volume 2, limited screen time, not the main character and not really involved in the main arc on vol 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
In many cases works 'since I already bought it, it would be a waste not to..." syndrome, besides its not clear how many of those who buy read all of the manga's inside.

Maybe quite a number do not read Medaka at all and this is what is reflected in low ratings...
I would dare say that a lot of WSJ readers just read the big 3 in One Piece, Naruto and Bleach.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-30, 06:16   Link #1646
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
^

Quote:

It does not mean it is popular. It just means it has more active/loud fans (or anti-fans) for better or worse.
the range of ppl replying in this thread seems way higher in comparison to others ;o
LeaD36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-30, 06:54   Link #1647
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
^

the range of ppl replying in this thread seems way higher in comparison to others ;o
I blame that more on unmet expectations. People tend to complain louder and longer when something they wanted to do great ends up failing them. Personally, while it's true that a negative reaction is the sign of someone who knows how to reach people, when the feedback is constantly negative, it isn't a good thing. You have to have some positive stuff I there.

Take Kouji Seo, for example, and Kimi no Iru Machi or Suzuka. The man is king at manipulating people into lusting after his blood, but he manages to throw in some really good moments to keep it balanced. MB lacks that balance and seems to get mostly negative feedback. It could be a side effect of having shallow characters or bizarre plot, I don't know.

I'm sure most of it is related to unrealized potential. Sort of like the Transformers 2 movie (which I actuay enjoyed), many people were expecting more and were disappointed and are still complaining shot it. When you hope for greatness only to see those hopes crushed by mediocrity week and week, it gets to you and it's human nature to complain about things like that. Especially when you go the movies expecting a great romance and end up with a senseless action flick (or a similar analogy).

One thing I have noticed, though, is that NisiOisiN seems to be experimenting with a new way of storytelling. Notice how while Medaka is the main character, yet we never see inside her head. Everything we've learned about her has come from the observations and inner thoughts of those around her-- Zenkichi, Unzen, Kikaijima, Nabeshima, etc. We see what they're thinking all the time, but we never know what Medaka is thinking. It's a unique way to tell the story, but just because it's unique, it doesn't make it good. The problem is that it alienates the main character and makes it hard to relate to her, which is fine if that's the goal (and given Medaka herself, I wouldn't be surprised if it was), but if the characters who are observing her are shallow and one-dimensional, it just doesn't work that well. It's why I think he should have spent a lot more time developing the characters AROUND Medaka first instead of just throwing them in to narrate her story, without having an real stories of their own.

Last edited by KLGChaos; 2009-11-30 at 07:39.
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-30, 07:47   Link #1648
Darknemo2000

Quote:
^

But usually the ones that reply are rather the same. Others leave just a very few posts, same like with others threads. We just have some constant whiners/complainers (me included) and dutiful protectors of the manga who usually bump the thread up.
Old 2009-11-30, 18:56   Link #1649
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned a lack of translation yet, well I'll let you guys know that shadow is probably recovering from thanksgiving festivities, which is why the translation is somewhat late this week.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-30, 22:57   Link #1650
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosu View Post
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned a lack of translation yet, well I'll let you guys know that shadow is probably recovering from thanksgiving festivities, which is why the translation is somewhat late this week.
I had already figured that. Holiday week has been a pain for me at work myself. Between that and the actual holiday stuff, I've barely had time to even sit down, so I can understand it being late.

I'm not really expecting too much from the chapter anyway. Only thing I'm interested in is what Kikaijima says. The others have really become unimportant in my eyes.
Old 2009-12-01, 00:10   Link #1651
Xion Valkyrie

Hmmmm, finally went ahead and read Medaka Box and most of the latter half of this thread. Maybe it's because I read everything in one setting, but the problems don't seem anywhere near as pronounced as all the detractors are making it out to be.

Well, Medaka's character portrayal flaws are still there, but I don't feel like the student council is that out of the loop. Zen also seems to be making a comeback.

Still, I'd have preferred it remain school life/comedy.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 05:37   Link #1652
KLGChaos
The Shermain

The problem with Zen's "comeback" is that it's one step forward, two steps back. He showed a lot of guts and stength in the chapter against King, but was reduced to being useless in the next two chapters again.

I would have preferred the non-battle route myself. At least it has a plot now, though, where it didn't before, even if it isn't a very good one.
Old 2009-12-01, 06:40   Link #1653
Darknemo2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I would dare say that a lot of WSJ readers just read the big 3 in One Piece, Naruto and Bleach.
I have a similar impression, but apparently there are still some people reading Medaka or else the first volume would not have been sold out.

But again, though 'sold out' sounds impressive we have to have in mind that there weren't that much copies released to begin with. It's like I and my friend would make a race with obstacles but since I have low expectation on my jumping ability I make all obstacles 10 cm high and manage to jump over them, but that doesn't make me a good jumper. It only means I am not as pathetic as I initially thought myself to be, yet 'not as pathetic' doesn't cut as being 'good'.

Same way with medaka. Volume 2 will be the judgment call for it, if it goes over 30 K sells then it will dodge the doom once again, but if not it is almost guaranteed to be the next victim of the axe.
Old 2009-12-01, 14:23   Link #1654
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
I have a similar impression, but apparently there are still some people reading Medaka or else the first volume would not have been sold out.

But again, though 'sold out' sounds impressive we have to have in mind that there weren't that much copies released to begin with. It's like I and my friend would make a race with obstacles but since I have low expectation on my jumping ability I make all obstacles 10 cm high and manage to jump over them, but that doesn't make me a good jumper. It only means I am not as pathetic as I initially thought myself to be, yet 'not as pathetic' doesn't cut as being 'good'.

Same way with medaka. Volume 2 will be the judgment call for it, if it goes over 30 K sells then it will dodge the doom once again, but if not it is almost guaranteed to be the next victim of the axe.
Considering how poorly received the Swim Team arc was received by the public (it actually bottom out during that arc), I wouldn't be surprised if it sold poorly. After all, this was the beginning of Medaka Fest 2009 and the Fall of Zenkichi. Then again, you never know.
Old 2009-12-01, 19:06   Link #1655
Lummie

Finally, translation of chapter 29 is out by shadow-skill on MH
Lummie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 22:57   Link #1656
KLGChaos
The Shermain

After seeing the translation:

Spoiler:

Last edited by KLGChaos; 2009-12-02 at 08:47.
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-02, 11:45   Link #1657
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Kikaijima pouting is easily the cutest thing I've seen all year. XD

I'll be happy with this manga forever because of that one panel. I tell no lies. >.>
DJ Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-03, 03:11   Link #1658
Napoleon's Hat

Read this week's RAWS.

Spoiler for Chapter 30:
Napoleon's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-03, 08:37   Link #1659
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon's Hat View Post
Read this week's RAWS.

Spoiler for Chapter 30:
Spoiler:
Old 2009-12-03, 11:04   Link #1660
Lummie

Aaaarrrggh, i just can't accept Medaka as a hero in this manga. It's like the author is forcing us to accept her as the Goku of the story and Zen as the useless Yamcha. Her fight with the guy from the 13th party is really boring and it doesn't add anything to the plot. Perhaps we can expect this next: Medaka reveals that she can achieve SSJ1 form now that she removed the limiter and will use spirit bomb to destroy the entire facility after investigating everything. *sigh* Meh, a bit over the top but i really get that impression when i read this manga.

This manga would be interesting if the author chooses to let Zen get kidnapped and become the first one who forcefully gets to drink that *genius* drink.. I hope at least that the Chairman will have something like that in mind, using Zen as the first guinea pig.
Lummie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council