AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2005-12-18, 15:48   Link #1
Freakman

Glass Mask (2005)

Despite this series lacking any sort of real following, I feel bad at the idea of loosing such a good series' topic
Keep up the good work Dragosmore ^^

Last edited by xris; 2009-06-19 at 02:08.
Freakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 11:08   Link #2
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

It's one of the best shows of 2005, a good retelling of a great story. Manga, anime, dorama, and now a second and even better anime. Episode 38 (of 52) just showed in Japan. We are up to the Two Princesses drama.

Kobayashi Sanae (Lucy/Nyuu in Elfen Lied, Mai in Hand Maid Mai, Satsuki in Ichigo 100%) does a good job as Maya.

Ayumi (Yajima Akiko - Kuu in Haibane) and Hayami Masumi (Morikawa Toshiyuki - Suitengu in Speed Grapher) are both very well portrayed in this version.

official site

ANN page
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2005-12-21 at 18:31.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 11:21   Link #3
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

I'm still following this show, too, and scrounging for everything I can find (the 1984 series, the live-action show, the manga, summaries on websites) to help me keep up with what's going on. Maybe I'll start learning Japanese, too.

Kobayashi Sanae also played Akira on Mai HiME and has reprised the role for its follow-up, Mai Otome.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 13:09   Link #4
Dragosmore
Translator

Send a message via AIM to Dragosmore
For some reason, I feel like "The Two Princesses" play had a much more powerful effect in the manga. It seems like they couldn't convey all of its omg-so-goodness in the anime, though I guess, I'm glad its finally been animated
Dragosmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 15:40   Link #5
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragosmore
For some reason, I feel like "The Two Princesses" play had a much more powerful effect in the manga. ....
I agree. It really hit me in the manga, but not so much here.

EDIT: I forgot about the dorama (thanks, Grifis): the play was great there. That's actually where I saw it first.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2005-12-21 at 18:05.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 17:59   Link #6
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

I hope the ending will be a good one. I actually prefer the 'two princesses' in the live action drama. Yumi totally transformed on stage and I was quite surprise how beautiful and grown up she looked.
Grifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 18:59   Link #7
Dragosmore
Translator

Send a message via AIM to Dragosmore
I'm buying all the R2 dvds for this series, and the 4th one should be arriving shortly (it comes out tomorrow), and it gives a synopsis of the picture on each DVD planned. After "Wasurerata Kouya" (The Forgotten Wilderness), it does indeed say one of the later pictures will be the Kurenai Tennyo... but even if they get to the practice for it, only Tsukikage-sensei's version has appeared in the manga. Do they plan to make up their own version of it before it appears in the manga, I wonder? @_@?
Dragosmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 21:03   Link #8
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifis
I actually prefer the 'two princesses' in the live action drama.
That's the only version I've seen. I really liked it, but given that the new anime spends almost two full episodes on the performance, I can tell that the live action is presenting only an abbreviated version of the story. I guess I'll just have to wait for someone to sub the anime or the manga.
Old 2005-12-21, 23:16   Link #9
ommseti

Someone needs to kidnap a translator. :o)
ommseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-26, 18:42   Link #10
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Flowers Between Teeth

I have a question:

When Maya gets roped into a substitute role in "The Cherry Tree of Dream Feasts," and then has to go onstage when she doesn't know her lines because the other actors switched her script - instead of saying something, she goes over to a vase of flowers, picks one out, puts it in her mouth and bites the stem. What does that mean? From the way the audience and the other actors react, I gather it must have some kind of symbolic meaning in Japanese culture, but I have no idea what that is.

Any thoughts?
Old 2005-12-28, 14:03   Link #11
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy
I have a question:

When Maya gets roped into a substitute role in "The Cherry Tree of Dream Feasts," and then has to go onstage when she doesn't know her lines because the other actors switched her script - instead of saying something, she goes over to a vase of flowers, picks one out, puts it in her mouth and bites the stem. What does that mean? From the way the audience and the other actors react, I gather it must have some kind of symbolic meaning in Japanese culture, but I have no idea what that is.

Any thoughts?
It seems to be an indication of extreme anguish or something like that. I don't remember any other character in any manga/anime biting on flower stem like that, but I remember a couple biting on a bit of cloth, for example.
kari-no-sugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-03, 19:05   Link #12
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Is anybody here following the series, Jigoku Shoujo? The latest episode to be subbed - Episode 7 - is a takeoff on Glass Mask, featuring a distinguished veteran actress named Kurenai Midori and her talented protege, Ayaka (who sits outside on a swing when she's depressed) . Ayaka turns out to be the "anti-Maya," though, and she gets dragged off to Hell at the end.
Old 2006-03-30, 12:53   Link #13
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

It's over! I thought we still had another week.

If I understood the ending correctly (and I'll admit there's not much chance of that ), it looked like neither Maya nor Ayumi won the Crimson Goddess gig in the real professional sense, but they can both become the Crimson Goddess by carrying the spirit of Tsukikage and what she helped them discover within themselves, even though she herself is gone. Is that even close?

Meanwhile, what the heck happened with Maya and Masumi? There they are, having this mystical transfigurational yin-yang naked moment, and then the next thing we know, Masumi's being spirited away by Shiori and we never see him again. What was up with that?
Old 2006-03-30, 14:54   Link #14
sukreih
okusenman!okusenman!

welllll,the manga isn't finished(after almost 30 years lol) so that's why they left it at that, but I think they should have and an alternate ending like in the TV Drama version.
sukreih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-30, 15:44   Link #15
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukreih
welllll,the manga isn't finished(after almost 30 years lol) so that's why they left it at that, but I think they should have and an alternate ending like in the TV Drama version.
Well, actually I liked the lack-of-resolution in the Crimson Goddess story - or at least I liked my interpretation of it. After a whole year of following Maya and Ayumi, getting to know them and care about both of them, I think it would have fallen flat if they'd just handed the role to either one. This is one of those times when the ultimate ending is best left in the imagination of the audience.

As for Maya and Masumi, I might very well like the way they ended that, too - if I'd understood what was going on.
Old 2006-03-30, 15:57   Link #16
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

From my understanding, Maya and Masumi acknowledged each other as soulmates 'in a dream' and it seemed they knew it wasn't a dream. Maya said something about it's not an illusion (moroboshi janai). In the manga and drama they were on the banks of a river then their souls got out of their body and merged.

Anyways, I really would prefer a more happy Maya x Masumi ending but oh well...
Grifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-30, 16:15   Link #17
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifis
From my understanding, Maya and Masumi acknowledged each other as soulmates 'in a dream' and it seemed they knew it wasn't a dream. Maya said something about it's not an illusion (moroboshi janai). In the manga and drama they were on the banks of a river then their souls got out of their body and merged.
Thanks! That works for me. Actually, I think Maya is more "married" to her art than she ever could be to another person, but I guess she can have a soulmate, too. And like the Crimson Goddess bit, this way leaves it up to the audience's imagination to decide how it ultimately plays out.

I've noticed something about a lot of Japanese storytelling - not just anime series, but in live-action dramas and even Miyazaki films - a lot of stories end with a sense of what I call, "the inevitable continuation of life." That is to say, the concept that the characters are in fact real people with real lives that keep going even after we can't watch them any more. I really like that.
Old 2006-03-31, 00:29   Link #18
Freakman

BBOvenGuy, could you put your posts into spoiler tags ?
I've seen the ending, but it doesn't mean everyone wandering into this topic has.
Freakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-30, 22:26   Link #19
elfena

This show will never be fansubbed. I've only watched up to episode 8. I have been waiting since november for a new episode and still nothing. I'm very sad that I probably won't ever get to finish this series.
elfena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-31, 08:13   Link #20
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfena
This show will never be fansubbed. I've only watched up to episode 8. I have been waiting since november for a new episode and still nothing. I'm very sad that I probably won't ever get to finish this series.
Indeed, it is sad.