AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 60 52.17%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 30 26.09%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 13.91%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 4.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.87%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.87%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.87%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.87%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-10, 06:37   Link #221
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyph View Post
Also, the earrings that Sheryl thinks is a keepsake of her mother. Though we still don't know if she had them from before, or if Grace passed them on to her claiming to be a friend of her late mother to win her trust.

As for her hair, she could simply be styling it according to what she thinks her late mother looks like (if all her info is from Grace).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Speaking of which, the earrings were provided by Grace, who probably installed new memories to Sheryl. Otherwise, I doubt she already had those earrings as her flashbacks shown her absent with them. Or if they are indeed from Sheryl's mom, her mom wouldn't be Grace, and definitely not Ranshe. I don't think it'd be difficult to think of her as an adoptive child of Mao, who bestowed her a last name.
Sheryl Nome, adopted daughter of Mao Nome. Grace finds her on the streets and brings her back to the lab with intent of secretly experimenting on her. Dr. Mao Nome adopts her because frankly she feels sorry for her. After Sheryl is infected "some how" with the V-Type virus it is the funding of the lab that pays for the hospitalization and it's also the research done that comes up with the Witchcraft medication to keep the V-Type infection from spreading or growing. The keepsake earrings she received from Grace were perhaps Dr. Mao's and it's very possible that Mao died of old age while Sheryl was in the hospital. Hence her sentimental value to the earrings. Which also demonstrates how much she loves Alto because she gave him one of the set.

The other possibility is that the 117th Investigation fleet was destroyed killing both Dr. Mao Nome and Ranshe Mei. Grace O'Connor either survived the destruction somehow or was already a "cyborg" at the time and hence was destroyed in the blast only to be resurrected into another body and then came to Galaxy or was already there. With the knowledge of the V-Type virus research she got from being on the team with Dr. Mao Nome and Ranshe Mei she attempted to reconstruct their findings and with that knowledge and other experiments she then looked for a test subject. She then discovers Sheryl in the slums on the Galaxy and uses her as a test subject all along lying to her that she knew her mother and that her mother was Dr. Mao Nome. Perhaps she brainwashed her into think her mother was Mao Nome. OR Dr. Mao Nome also somehow survived the destruction of the 117th Investigation Fleet and also made it to the Galaxy and then really did adopt Sheryl when Grace found her.

Either way Grace found Sheryl on the streets. That much I believe. What happened to her after that is hard to say hence why I call my speculation on the part theories and not facts.

Quote:
Never mind that Ranshee does not share the last name of Nome, nor is she a pacific islander. Ranshee is clearly Chinese, or at least her name is.

The best guess we have here is that Sheryl was probably adopted by Mao (or just named after her), and given the last name of Nome. Other than that, she bears no relations whatsoever to Ranshee.
The origin of Ranshe Mei is mysterious and it's possible that her origins are the key to why Ranka Lee is special. We do know she was close with Mao but how that came about we don't know. There is a possibility that Ranshe Mei is the biological daughter of Dr. Mao Nome and has the last name Mei due to her marriage with Ranka's father. There just isn't any proof of any of this. All we know is Ranshe Mei is the most likely the woman in that picture that is behind Brerra who is next to Ranka. We have no doubt at this point that Brerra is Ranka's brother.

Evidence is rather clear in my original post on this here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsilya~ View Post
I am more and more sure of that blonde guy is Ranka's brother, since it is know he is close to her. But if you look at a family relationships, being a father would be really.... odd, so only brother is left. Sheryl apparently got pwned pretty hard this episode.
Where did you get father from? Brerra is most certainly not Ranka's father. The picture Ozma was holding proves that Brerra is Ranka's brother. Whether by relation or by blood we do not know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyph View Post
You are assuming Sheryl "Nome" is her real name.
Ranka "Lee" doesn't have Ranshe's surname either.
Neither does Brera "Starne" (if he really is her brother, which is slightly more doubtful now).
Ranka took the last name Lee because Ozma's last name is Lee. He legally adopted her hence the last name. Most adopted children take on the last name of their adopted parents. Sheryl Nome took on the name of her adopted mother Mao Nome or who she thinks is her mother. Seems pretty easy to follow this thought process. Now Brera Starne I have no idea where that last name came from. I supposed it could just be a fake last name that he just choose himself. We already know that he was given a cyborg body probably due to his injuries though it's not clear if these injuries were from the explosion of the ship that Ranka's parents were on. Grace tells Brera to remember the reason he is protecting Ranka and it seems to imply a much more personal reason and not simply duty.

Quote:
Because her name is written as 蘭雪, which is as Chinese as it could get in a Japanese anime, and pronounced using Japanese phonics, which does not usually correspond to their Chinese counterparts.

I do not understand why people would relate Ranshe to Sheryl. It does not work at all. I mean, obviously people are making a lot less connections between Elmo and a certain NUNS Supreme Commander.
- Tak
In the Comos article Ranshe Mei's name is the only one of the three that is printed in Kanji or possible Chinese characters. Both Mao and Grace's names are printed in English. This proposes that Ranshe Mei's name is indeed Chinese and the only reason we know her name is Ranshe Mei is because Klan speaks her name.

I think the only person that even elludes to Ranshe and Sheryl being related is magnuskin from his comparison of images of Sheryl and Ranshe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
LOL. That would be priceless.

Of course they had to introduce that V-type disease as something which one contracts through exchange of bodily fluids, so the two of them eloping could get... difficult.
Yea it seems that the V-Type virus is exchanged through blood hence it would be spread in the same methods that the real world HIV virus would be spread. Better hope that Alto and Sheryl never hook up until a cure is found. Sorry SherylxAlto lovers out there but they are doomed unless a cure is found or they use protection contraception which I yet to see talked about in any Anime ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
True, but as you said, her full history is yet to be reveal, so there's a slight chance of her to be a total random girl by luck in that alley
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Sadly, yes. I still point to the mountain of circumstancial evidence though, and assert that something is still not told about Sheryls ancestry.

Y'know.... http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=2703868
Indeed there is a very very good chance that Sheryl is no one special at all before Grace found her. She may have an interesting background before Grace found her on the streets but until something is actually eluded to in the story she is nothing more than a homeless kid from the streets that got lucky or unlucky as the case may be by being found by Grace. I know Sheryl lovers may "want" her to be special but that's just hopeful wishing at this point.

Lastly there is one more theory to entertain. This theory assumes that Ranka and perhaps also Brera were adopted by Ranshe Mei and her unknown husband. That they were found somewhere else, perhaps something closely related with the Vajra. It's even possible that Ranka herself was infected with the V-Type virus by direct contact with an actual Vajra Queen hence why she has special powers while Sheryl doesn't.

I thought this episode was rather clear on answering many of the speculations and questions that are posed in this thread. I guess some of you weren't watching as closely as you could have. I suggest you go watch the episode again.
Old 2008-08-10, 07:07   Link #222
Tabris

You now, it could always be as simple as Grace giving Sheryl the Nome name and telling her it belonged to her lost mother. As a way to honour Mao.

And about Brera's surname, he's probably just been given one, I remember Grace saying something like "You want to regain your past, don't you?" and I'm sure he said at some point he's not entirely sure what there is about *that* girl that makes him look over her. I think.
Old 2008-08-10, 07:55   Link #223
coroloro

Hey, someone mentioned before that the director of this series tends to go for unexpected endings... here's one for you. Alto and the two leading ladies both survive fine in the end... and Alto sleeps with Sheryl, only to catch- and die from- the V-type disease along with Sheryl, leaving the poor green haired lass without two friends and her love...

Now that'd be unique even for anime :P
Old 2008-08-10, 08:21   Link #224
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by coroloro View Post
Hey, someone mentioned before that the director of this series tends to go for unexpected endings... here's one for you. Alto and the two leading ladies both survive fine in the end... and Alto sleeps with Sheryl, only to catch- and die from- the V-type disease along with Sheryl, leaving the poor green haired lass without two friends and her love...

Now that'd be unique even for anime :P
Nah, they already did that ending in
Spoiler:

I doubt they will simply rehash that ending.
Old 2008-08-10, 10:33   Link #225
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Unexpected endings huh, he ends up with both of them? That would be REALLY unexpected.
Old 2008-08-10, 11:02   Link #226
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
Unexpected endings huh, he ends up with both of them? That would be REALLY unexpected.
Not really, because thats what happened to Hikaru in Flashback 2012

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-08-10, 12:24   Link #227
ipernorris

My nice ending: Earth is populated by the bugs...
Old 2008-08-10, 13:13   Link #228
ReddyRedWolf

How bout Ohgathwai and the 33rd being Frontier's calvary. Accompanying them are the fleet of strongest women, Chlore's Meltran fleet, as reinforcements .
Old 2008-08-10, 13:52   Link #229
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris View Post
You now, it could always be as simple as Grace giving Sheryl the Nome name and telling her it belonged to her lost mother. As a way to honour Mao.

And about Brera's surname, he's probably just been given one, I remember Grace saying something like "You want to regain your past, don't you?" and I'm sure he said at some point he's not entirely sure what there is about *that* girl that makes him look over her. I think.
I recall Grace threatening to make him remember, rather than withholding his memories. He wants to forget basically.

As for Sheryl being more than what she is, there's at least 8 episodes left. That she actually dies and fades into obscurity is too much to hope for at this point.
Old 2008-08-10, 13:56   Link #230
ReddyRedWolf

Actually more like Grace promised she would give his memory back if Brera did what she wants.
Old 2008-08-10, 14:05   Link #231
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Actually more like Grace promised she would give his memory back if Brera did what she wants.
Didn't she say something like "You don't want your memories back do you?"
Old 2008-08-10, 14:56   Link #232
Zhaozhou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Didn't she say something like "You don't want your memories back do you?"
Subtitle from gg says:

You want to regain your past, don't you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
At least we got to watch stuff blow up... Any else jaw-drop when they saw Frontier fire that HUGE laser?
That sir is no laser, it's an Overtechnology Macross bow-firing super-dimension-energy cannon. The original one could destroy spaceships in lunar orbit from the ground.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris View Post
One thing I liked, how Brera's cockpit didn't have any distortions from folding (I know, I know, it's generated and that's not what his cockpit looks like), but neither he or the Vajra eggs had a fold ghost or w/e they are.
I read on MW they are ethereal bodies. This is a subtle retcon, because this kind of visual effects were already present from the start.

Overall it makes sense though that the body trails the soul.

Also, the holographic cockpit makes it seem like Brera doesn't have soul, but maybe he could be different because he is a cyborg.

Last edited by Zhaozhou; 2008-08-10 at 15:15.
Old 2008-08-10, 18:28   Link #233
Tabris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
I recall Grace threatening to make him remember, rather than withholding his memories. He wants to forget basically.
I thought he wanted to remember, with him having a curious want on protecting Ranka and all that too.

Anyway, whatever, I just got back from a wedding and I be tired.
Old 2008-08-10, 21:07   Link #234
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhaozhou View Post
Subtitle from gg says:

I read on MW they are ethereal bodies. This is a subtle retcon, because this kind of visual effects were already present from the start.

Overall it makes sense though that the body trails the soul.

Also, the holographic cockpit makes it seem like Brera doesn't have soul, but maybe he could be different because he is a cyborg.
You're taking it too literally.

The doubles are just a visual representation of the shaky distortion within warp space seen in SDF Macross and Macross 7.

The tunnel and shooting particles effect was first seen in Macross Plus.
Old 2008-08-10, 21:17   Link #235
Prov1

This episode really pissed me off. I so wanted Alto to find her but her brother did. Could there be another love triangle? Ranka out though?
Old 2008-08-10, 21:23   Link #236
Tabris

Not just normal warp space, but SUPER DIMENSION SPACE haha
Old 2008-08-10, 22:28   Link #237
User81972
Vajra? Nuhvajra? Wha...?

Smile

Just something I noticed.

Spoiler for Ranshe Mei?:

Also: I HATE the new subs (gg). The weird file format (.mkv? What?) doesn't work correctly with VNC or Media Player. Sound goes out of sync with video INSANELY fast, even after I've refreshed the seek bar. Anyone else having problems with this? I wish Kei would release theirs again
Old 2008-08-10, 22:31   Link #238
nines
I much prefer the 2d

Why u asking bout Ranshe Mei should be looking at the computer the leader of it is Mao Nome...Obviously Sheryls mom so why the fck would she test the V-Virus on her :O
Old 2008-08-10, 22:47   Link #239
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Maybe she didn't...but Grace did?
Old 2008-08-10, 22:51   Link #240
nines
I much prefer the 2d

Maybe mmmmmmm <.< >.> Still somethings not right with this stupid research stuff x.x