AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Re:Zero

Notices

Old 2016-07-03, 13:22   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Re:Zero - Anime Speculation & Theories (for first time anime viewers)

This thread is aimed at first time viewers of Re:Zero and its purpose is to allow spoiler free speculation and theories to be aired. Having them in a central location may help focus the discussion instead of spreading speculation over the various episode discussion threads. If you are knowledgeable of the source material then we ask that you please do not post in this thread (use the Spoilers & Speculation instead) and do not give away any spoilers in this thread!

Unacceptable post topics:
  • Any form of spoiler from Re:Zero manga or light novels.
  • Any form of game spoilers.
  • Any form of spoilers from visual novels.

Spoiler Policy
  • Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Magazine previews are an exception to the said rule. You are allowed to discuss those. (Properly labeled spoiler tags required).
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-09, 16:05   Link #2
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Well, to kick it off, one theory that I've heard in parts at least that I at first doubted, but has grown on me:
Satella is actually Emilia from the future. This bears some good probability since Emilia's described as looking a lot like her, not to mention that the Witch is rather accepted to have at least some ability to move people back in time.

There are some problems I have with this, but many of them disappear with another supposition: Emilia/Satella wasn't the one to bring Subaru to this world. My preferred mix of theories would have it that Subaru was actually brought to this world by the Dragon for some purpose. Maybe he has some sort of power (the inability to control his power is a common clue of such), or there's just something about him, or perhaps it was just random chance. In any case, the Dragon summoned him to perform a certain task, and once summoned he met and fell in love with Emilia. Emilia was then selected as the new ruler, and thus contracted to the Dragon itself. The Dragon used Emilia to get to Subaru, used him, and either killed him, hurt him or took him away. In fury that her love was taken from her, Emilia's power goes berserk and she desperately tries to find a way to destroy the Dragon that did this. She ends up going back in time, changing her name, and consuming countless lives, including the lives of the six most powerful witches in the world, to build her power until she was the Dragon's equal. The Dragon, together with a couple companions, is sufficiently unmatched that it can't even hurt her, so instead it opts to seal her away. With her out of the way, it goes back to pursuing its own plots and again in this new timeline summons Subaru. Upon feeling her love returned to her world, Satella places a "curse" on him; desperate to insure that he doesn't die again, she makes it so that if he does die he comes back early enough to do something about his death. And in order to protect him from people who would seek to make use of such powers she implants a "warning" as well that shows him the fear of death whenever he tries to reveal his power to someone.

By this theory, one other thing I suspect is that Satella won't actually wind up being the ultimate enemy. Instead, ultimately the Dragon will be found responsible for much of the tragedy that has occurred. Satella will still be a villain, there's no way you can do the sort of things she's done and be called "good", but she's a villain who became what she is because of the cruel machinations of an evil being that holds an entire nation in its thrall and has convinced everyone to worship it as a god.
BWTraveller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-28, 15:22   Link #3
Applehell

Spoiler for Upcoming Episode Titles:

3 episodes for vol 7, nice!

Last edited by Applehell; 2016-07-28 at 19:16. Reason: added other episode titles
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-28, 16:47   Link #4
Jaden

Satella being Emilia from a different time or dimension, or Satella's daughter, yes, I subscribe to that as well. Everything points to Subaru being isekai'd with the purpose of helping Emilia. He gets to the next checkpoint every time he manages to help Emilia....not a coincidence. I think maybe Subaru may also have been charmed by the witch to fall in love with Emilia.

Thing is, the witch is more or less omnipotent, since "resetting" the world is a god-level power. From the legend where she's been "sealed" by the dragon, you could assume that she is bound by some kind of rules, but I don't believe she is.

My theory is that Satella uses Subaru to help Emilia because if she gave Emilia too much power, people would fear her due to the witch's legend. Subaru's power allows him to support Emilia without being too threatening. The cultists have also been propped up by the witch to act as "trials" for Emilia. As she defeats them, she gains the trust of the people. Satella wants Emilia to become a genuinely loved queen, and not end up as Satella did. In her life, she was motivated by power and jealousy, but in godhood, she has discovered "true love".
Old 2016-07-28, 16:49   Link #5
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Satella being Emilia from a different time or dimension, or Satella's daughter, yes, I subscribe to that as well. Everything points to Subaru being isekai'd with the purpose of helping Emilia. He gets to the next checkpoint every time he manages to help Emilia....not a coincidence. I think maybe Subaru may also have been charmed by the witch to fall in love with Emilia.

Thing is, the witch is more or less omnipotent, since "resetting" the world is a god-level power. From the legend where she's been "sealed" by the dragon, you could assume that she is bound by some kind of rules, but I don't believe she is.

My theory is that Satella uses Subaru to help Emilia because if she gave Emilia too much power, people would fear her due to the witch's legend. Subaru's power allows him to support Emilia without being too threatening. The cultists have also been propped up by the witch to act as "trials" for Emilia. As she defeats them, she gains the trust of the people. Satella wants Emilia to become a genuinely loved queen, and not end up as Satella did. In her life, she was motivated by power and jealousy, but in godhood, she has discovered "true love".
And yet those hands had no qualms about killing Emilia.
Old 2016-07-28, 17:11   Link #6
Jaden

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
Well, the purpose of that was to punish Subaru for breaking the rules. For Emilia, it was just a merciful death compared to what she would've gone through that evening.
Old 2016-07-28, 18:33   Link #7
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
Don't forget that she gets back to live too, once Subaru resurrects - Satella is likely well aware of this.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-03, 02:31   Link #8
Joachim
et tu, brute?

hmmm question is, does the world continues to go on after subaru's death or not? Seeing episode 15 makes me seriously question that, seeing that the snow keeps piling up after apparent subaru's death kinda hint that the world does continues to keep going on even after subaru's death.

and now i am curious on what happened on every subaru's death, what are people reaction to it and how the world affected by it.

If the world does stop/reset after subaru's death, does that mean subaru is dimension hopping? going to alternate timeline everytime he dies?
Old 2016-08-03, 13:18   Link #9
Jaden

Yes, since if you just wound back the clock, Subaru's memories would have no origin. Then, the "physics explanation" must be dimension hopping and not time travel.

So the worlds in which Subaru die continue to exist. There's an implication that the whole world is headed towards a bad end unless Subaru does something about it, though.

That line of thinking rules out Satella being someone from the future, and it also gives insight on what Satella's limitation might be. Basically that, when people are saying the world is under the dragon's protection, they literally mean that its every resident has protection from the witch. That's why she uses beasts and people from other worlds as proxies.

Last edited by Jaden; 2016-08-09 at 08:14.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-05, 11:22   Link #10
Applehell

Spoiler for this week's preview:
Old 2016-08-05, 16:48   Link #11
bakato

Oh, Rem. You're even picking fights over who Subaru mounts.

Seriously, is no one subbing these things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtesy of Renalan
F: Crusch-sama, Feli-chan has prepared a secret plan for the royal selection
C: That's Felis for you, so, what do we do?
F: Follow me... oh, you're here for the good part
S: What are you two doing here?
F: Crusch-sama, first, hit the wall with your palm, 'bam' (sound effect)
C: Wall, 'bam'
F: Now, finger on your chin, 'nom'
C: Chin, 'nom'
F: And finally, on your forehead 'bump'
C: Forehead, 'bump'
F: I can't take it after all!
F: Crusch-sama, don't do such a cheap thing! Sorry, Crusch-sama!
C: Don't apologize, I know you were thinking about me, there was no reason to doubt you
F: Crusch-sama! Jeez, Feli-chan is head over heels!
S: Next time, White Whale Capture Plan
Old 2016-08-05, 18:54   Link #12
Applehell

Spoiler for episode titles:

From reddit.
Old 2016-09-06, 13:50   Link #13
Applehell

Ep 24 is titled

The Self Proclaimed Knight and Most Valuable Knight (自称騎士と最優の騎士)

Source is reddit.
Old 2016-09-11, 17:22   Link #14
Kaneco

Hopefully me typing my thoughts on episode 24 here will breath some life into this thread...because it is sorely underused.

I apologize in advance...because I'm about to write like an essay of my thoughts...and a lot of my thoughts overlap with previous episodes that this week's episode just cements further.

Episode 24 was pretty good, but felt a bit rushed at some points...can't really blame White Fox & the author. They only have 25 episodes locked in for the season, so they have to squish as much in for the season finale coming next week.

Speaking of things to come and things I can draw from this episode, I have a really uneasy feeling that the author is setting everyone up into a false sense of security. Everything is going TOO well for Subaru and the supporting characters in this loop...and knowing how the author is a sadist and loves to make Subaru suffer, something has to happen that sets up the next few arcs.

...The 'blank letter' is bothering me too much, and it was mentioned yet again. Guessing from the dialogue that one of Crush's attendants/subordinates was supposed to the deliver the letter to Roswaal's mansion to warn about the attack on their domain...thinking Crusch as smart as she is, being as diligent & intelligent as she is...she wouldn't dare to send a blank letter when 'she' of all people should know that could be interpreted as a declaration of war.

I have a feeling like I said in the other thread that 'Gluttony' might be involved again...as Puck called the Whale 'Gluttony', it could mean the 'erasing' ability, could be part of Gluttony's 'authority' just like Betelgeuse has his 'Unseen Hands' as his 'authority of sloth' power. So my guess, that's how they are going to introduce another Archbishop of Sin and/or Cult sect for the next arc. It would be a perfect opportunity to hype up the next season...with a new threat showing its ugly face.

Like I said...I feel very uneasy, because I feel the author might step up the ante in terms of giving the viewers more despair & give us a half-good & half bad ending + cliffhanger that sets up the next arc/season. Subaru seems to be over the worst & doesn't seem to be as afraid of dying anymore, because I feel like he knows he can just fix everything (or most of everything) through 'Return by Death'...before he was worried about feeling the pain of dying, feeling like his 'Return by Death' retries were limited & perma death was possible for him & then we had him fear that he wouldn't be able to make progress until he found a solution through acquiring the help of others... (friends & allies) ...Now I feel to step up the ante, the author is going to make us suffer the loss of something that can't be fixed, something that he needs to live with...unforeseen consequences that he won't be able to take back by simply using the old shtick 'Return by Death'.

I feel like the author is setting up a character death or something close to be just as bad, that he's prepping up in the background and by the time Subaru realizes post-killing Betelgeuse...a new checkpoint will be made after said events happen...and he won't be able to take it back...it will be a whole new level of despair for Subaru and the audience.

Because thus far, everything has gone well for Subaru if you really think about it. All the real bad things that should have been irreversible like the deaths of many of the characters have been fixed through 'Return by Death', so I think it's the perfect time for Subaru to be shown true loss...which I think it would be perfect for his character development, make him less reckless & not have in rely so much on 'Return by Death'.

I think we were given a tease/taste of said irreversible things but at a much lesser level/dose which is something he was able to fix...and by that I mean, what happened in the castle during the Maiden/King/Queen selection/election announcement & his fight with Emilia...it was a moment he couldn't take back, but made him grow from it and through a domino effect made him gain many allies from different walks of life & different sides.

I feel like towards the end of the season someone really important and/or semi-important is going to die...everyone is susceptible to this fate, except Emilia...She's like his sole purpose for doing everything he's done up to this point, a main heroine & has yet to be fleshed out...we know next to nothing about her and her past as a half-elf...so I feel like she will be completely fleshed out from here on in...while Rem is going to be pretty much shelved away for a while, since she had way more screen time than Emilia has had & I think it's about time she took a break...Well! She has already been doing that for the past few episodes after the whale was killed.

What I'm afraid about is...I'm suspecting either Rem and/or Crusch are going to die by the end of the season...or if my hunch is right, be erased from existence...although I'm leaning towards Rem, because it would give us MUCH...and MUCH MORE impact & would demoralize Subaru to the point where he would jump the gun and rely on Return By Death again just to find out...that it's too late to save her after he wakes up in his next loop. If it already happened...and the 'Blank Letter' is a clue...then it leads me to believe that Crusch is safe from being erased because she's obviously mentioned and not forgotten about, but she can still die before the end of the season...but her lack of development & importance to the election that's taking place leads me to believe that they won't shelf away the character just yet, by killing her off...at least NOT this soon, as it would just be a waste and not have much impact at all.

Another thing that's really bothering me, that leads me to believe the erasure theory is that...there has been absolutely NO MENTION of Rem at ALL! Rem should be the single most important thing to Ram and we got nothing from her...and yeah we can think all day that the conversation about Rem's whereabouts 'probably' happened off-screen...but I think 'assuming' that is part of the 'twist/reveal' that has yet to come that they're simply just building up to it.

I'm kinda of worried and at the same time anxious! ...To think the author would kill/erase from existence a character so loved by the audience like Rem is SO SADISTIC, YET SO PERFECT! I would not be TOO surprised if that ends up being the case, and would make sense that they've been giving her so much screen time & provided so much build up to the character just for this plot point... I don't know how to feel about this.

Another thing about this week's episode that I'm kind of puzzled about...how are they going to prevent Betelgeuse from possessing Subaru, if all Betelgeuse is required to do is for the host to have a high affinity of becoming a Witch Cult member...Could Julius fight off his essence/soul from within Subaru as Betelgeuse tries to possess him? Or maybe Julius fails in countering said possession so Subaru decides to utter "I can Return by Death!" for Satella to indirectly help him by expelling Betelgeuse from his body, as he's a foreign presence in his body? All we know is that Julius probably knows the solution but it probably won't be revealed until the final episode...because obviously he told Subaru off-screen.

Anyhow...Let's see what happens during the final episode. I really hope they kill Betelgeuse really early...within the first 5 mins of the episode or so...so they can squish as much time for the epilogue of the season. I do want to see some interaction between Subaru & Emilia...she's been too MIA this arc and they really need to build hype for her, if we're to care for the next arcs that might give her lots of development. Please don't be rushed. lol!

Can't believe the final episode will be here in a week...I'm nervous. Please don't get butchered...hoping for the best. Lmao!
Kaneco is offline   Reply With Quote