Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-02-25, 17:05   Link #921
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seqi View Post
Well that's slack. I was looking forward to some Marina voice acting. I liked hers, and it was never used for more than 2 minutes.
I hope they dont pull a cheap move like that though.
I was pretty happy with all of the voice work in this game; not much seemed forced or out of place. It'd be a shame if they had to cut back on it, for any reason (slacking off or otherwise). I doubt it's slacking off. So far as I know, the DLC for VC did pretty well so far, if not as many purchases as copies of the game itself sold.

I think it turned into a sleeper hit, but I haven't seen any proof of that.
Old 2010-02-25, 17:11   Link #922
Seqi

The game is selling strong still. It's still getting high reviews from people who are randomly just starting to review it, so i read on the official forums. The main thing people are yellign about is trophy support. I for one couldnt care less about flashing my e-peen for useless things, but you'd be surprised how well it'd increase sales of the games. The people who moan about trophies are the same people who bought that Avatar game because it had easy Xbox Acheivements on it.

Gah i hate this generation of gamers.
Seqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 17:17   Link #923
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seqi View Post
The game is selling strong still. It's still getting high reviews from people who are randomly just starting to review it, so i read on the official forums. The main thing people are yellign about is trophy support. I for one couldnt care less about flashing my e-peen for useless things, but you'd be surprised how well it'd increase sales of the games. The people who moan about trophies are the same people who bought that Avatar game because it had easy Xbox Acheivements on it.

Gah i hate this generation of gamers.
Preachin' to the choir, dude.

My theory's that it's because older gamers never had that ability, and therefore, never played games for the reason of collecting trophies. We have our own reason... something else (story? gameplay? grinding?).

Also, if I'd buy a game, it sure isn't because of some sort of digital hardware it might earn me if I beat it. It's not worth it if the game's not fun. And if the game's fun... I'd buy it anyway. Regardless.

Also, people bought the Avatar game? O_o Zing!
Old 2010-02-25, 17:22   Link #924
Seqi

At my college, everyone is a 'current gen' gamer, you know the typical 14 year old "I SURE CANT WAIT FOR BROWN N BLOOM GENERIC FPS #4000 BUT I WONT BUY ORIGINAL FUN GAME BECAUSE IT DOESNT HAVE ACHEIVEMENTS", except they're 19. Hell i was into getting achievements for a few weeks, then i realised it was stupid. Though i do go for trophies on some games, they can flesh out the lifespan of a game. I'm enjoying getting some trophies on Skate 2, helping me get my moneys worth.

And yeah, my friend paid FULL PRICE for it. Paid £40, pressed B 50 times to get that 1000G, and never touched it again.
Old 2010-02-25, 20:02   Link #925
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Location: I'm not gone! I'm where you either use a slingshot or a gun!
Damn good thing I buy games for fun (and story, but regardless). VC had both, plus good graphics. I actually got the PS3 for VC.

Frankly, I couldn't care less for achievements (unless unlocks are attached... Damn you, Soldier Milestone 3!), and since VC lacks them - so be it. It's a fun game (that I haven't quite beaten, since Ihave some personal achieves to get - and also Emile ).
RedShocktrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 21:06   Link #926
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Agreed. Every time I run across folks wondering about/demanding the addition of trophies to VC (or, for that matter, any other game) it is tempting to ask whether they would like some fine cheest to accompany the whine. More to the point, I wonder if they are no longer capable of playing a game for the fun of it. Or being content with the array of decorations which might be there to be had (VC and Warship Gunner 2 are two good examples).

While older gamers might not have had to deal with trophies/achievements, spawnofthejudge, there were leaderboards (usually, the top ten high scores). To be fair, they are better suited for some games than others.
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 22:15   Link #927
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
Agreed. Every time I run across folks wondering about/demanding the addition of trophies to VC (or, for that matter, any other game) it is tempting to ask whether they would like some fine cheest to accompany the whine. More to the point, I wonder if they are no longer capable of playing a game for the fun of it. Or being content with the array of decorations which might be there to be had (VC and Warship Gunner 2 are two good examples).

While older gamers might not have had to deal with trophies/achievements, spawnofthejudge, there were leaderboards (usually, the top ten high scores). To be fair, they are better suited for some games than others.
At risk with going off-topic, WG2 actually did have non-cosmetic rewards for reaching certain marks with kills - with that thought, I still haven't sunk 999 Battlecarriers to unlock the Drillship Dev. Plan. I have 999 of everything else (save for Superweapons, but I actually had little interest in replaying the Wirbelwind that many times).

Ah! Ah! Fanfic fodder! VC/WG2! Find some way to connect Valkyrur with Superweapons = Win!
Old 2010-02-25, 22:17   Link #928
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
I'm tempted to answer 'VC DLC, no contest'. Of course, if you have a sufficient quantity of dead presidents on hand, the question becomes moot.
Since I don't have access to my PS3 at school, could you tell me what the VC DLC costs? (If you know) I'm going to want to get both eventually, anyways.

Time will be the main issue. I don't want to buy both over Spring Break because there's no way I'll have enough free time over break to devote a significant amount to both. Basically I'd buy both but only play one, or play both only a little. Even worse, if I get an internship away from home for the summer, I'll basically have no time over the summer to play, either, since I won't be home much.

I may not have a significant amount of time with my PS3 until Winter Break of next academic year.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 22:39   Link #929
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Since I don't have access to my PS3 at school, could you tell me what the VC DLC costs? (If you know) I'm going to want to get both eventually, anyways.
4.99 USD ($5). Can't play tonight, but will download so it's ready tomorrow

ETA: Downloading.
Old 2010-02-25, 22:44   Link #930
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShocktrooper View Post
At risk with going off-topic, WG2 actually did have non-cosmetic rewards for reaching certain marks with kills - with that thought, I still haven't sunk 999 Battlecarriers to unlock the Drillship Dev. Plan. I have 999 of everything else (save for Superweapons, but I actually had little interest in replaying the Wirbelwind that many times).
Oddly, battlecarriers are perhaps the rarest non-superweapon vessel in the game - they only appear in two missions, and only four in each. If you're grinding for that reward, you want to replay the one taking place in the Pacific; the other (Iron Will) saddles you with defending a trio of English airbases. And if I recall, sinking 999 battlecarriers also unlocks the attack helicopter blueprints (odd choice on Koei's part - you'll get the Halberds (German-developed flying discs) well before that point).

The best place to farm Superweapons is that special mission with the three task forces - I forget what it's called, but I recall that the second enemy layout tosses in Dual Crater to the west... and instead of PT boats, it spawns miniature Druna Skasses. Yes, each of those counts as a Superweapon; and yes, they do have their spinal guns.

On this note: unlike the previous game, the plasma weapons (which, really, have visual signatures more akin to Tesla ordnance!) are not attenuated by energy shielding, making them a very good choice in second-and-subsequent playthroughs.

Quote:
Ah! Ah! Fanfic fodder! VC/WG2! Find some way to connect Valkyrur with Superweapons = Win!
Not that hard - the Marmota could qualify as a superweapon (one of WG2's rogues' gallery, as you know, is a railway cannon on steroids whose name escapes me at present). And depending on how far the Artificial Valkyrur program is going, an analogue to the Trollslegur is quite possible...
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 22:56   Link #931
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Quote:
Oddly, battlecarriers are perhaps the rarest non-superweapon vessel in the game - they only appear in two missions, and only four in each. If you're grinding for that reward, you want to replay the one taking place in the Pacific; the other (Iron Will) saddles you with defending a trio of English airbases. And if I recall, sinking 999 battlecarriers also unlocks the attack helicopter blueprints (odd choice on Koei's part - you'll get the Halberds (German-developed flying discs) well before that point).
Quite odd, indeed. How exactly you develop flying saucers before the AH-1 Cobra is beyond me.

Quote:
The best place to farm Superweapons is that special mission with the three task forces - I forget what it's called, but I recall that the second enemy layout tosses in Dual Crater to the west... and instead of PT boats, it spawns miniature Druna Skasses. Yes, each of those counts as a Superweapon; and yes, they do have their spinal guns.
Hence why I prefer replaying Trollsegur on ELII - the presence of both a Wirbelwind and Dreadnaught result in much less butthurt than a horde of Pint-Size Drunas.

Quote:
On this note: unlike the previous game, the plasma weapons (which, really, have visual signatures more akin to Tesla ordnance!) are not attenuated by energy shielding, making them a very good choice in second-and-subsequent playthroughs.
Actually, my preference is towards standard guns - while they are effected by Gravity shielding, I have an odd tendency to pack my deck with as many 50.8cm/20inch guns as possible.

Quote:
Not that hard - the Marmota could qualify as a superweapon (one of WG2's rogues' gallery, as you know, is a railway cannon on steroids whose name escapes me at present). And depending on how far the Artificial Valkyrur program is going, an analogue to the Trollslegur is quite possible...
Dora-something. Definate shout out to the Dora and Gustav cannons of RL WWII (actually, I'm thinking of incorporating Munster and Ratte into my VC/WWII fic as Nazi versions of the Marmota/Valkof and Batomys, respectively).

What about Ragnarok? That's easily enough to actually cause even Selvaria to tremble in fear.

Though, I fear the Edelweiss would become vastly underpowered in the face of Imperial Battleship Spam - the Marmota actually strikes me as more on par with the Battleships the player sends to the bottom quite nonchalantly. As potent as it was in Real Life, it's quite easy to create Destroyers that send the Bismarck to the bottom - not even including Missiles and Lasers.
Old 2010-02-26, 08:08   Link #932
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
4.99 USD ($5). Can't play tonight, but will download so it's ready tomorrow

ETA: Downloading.
Thanks.

Eh... I am already waiting on getting CoD:MW2, I don't want to put off another major full game. I think I'll get FFXIII and then get the DLC later.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-26, 09:15   Link #933
DC20

Heavy Rain >>> FFXIII > DLC, or at least that would be my choice.
DC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-26, 09:28   Link #934
Seqi

Nah Heavy Rain is a clear rental, i just watched a friend play through it, saved me £40. Seemed a good game though.

The DLC is pretty tough, definately worth it, shame there's no voice acting in it. You could finish it in 2 days.
Old 2010-02-26, 09:37   Link #935
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

nvm, thought you meant weather

Well, I suppose that beats using Edy with the intent of amusing your 7-y.o. sister. Really, Megan (my sis) decided she liked Edy and Susie on the basis of their hairstyles.
Old 2010-02-26, 09:55   Link #936
DC20

Liking Heavy Rain depends completely on how much gameplay vs. story you need in order to enjoy the game. It's more like an interactive film noir than anything else. If you <3 noir (and you should ) and like a lot of cut scenes buy it. Now. If not or you're iffy, rent. Either way, pick it up.
Old 2010-02-26, 15:53   Link #937
Snowman24

Haha, I love your signature Redshocktrooper. catfight over welkin I'm sure. The next best thing woulda been to insert welkin in the middle and have them each pulling on one of his arms, trying to claim posession of him.
Snowman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-26, 18:20   Link #938
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman24 View Post
Haha, I love your signature Redshocktrooper. catfight over welkin I'm sure. The next best thing woulda been to insert welkin in the middle and have them each pulling on one of his arms, trying to claim posession of him.
Heh. That's good stuff. I'll have to Relay that to my sig's Artist off on DeviantArt.

The full section (It's actually a part of a larger image, and I asked to use that part) actually has Alicia and Juno walking away from each other - Alicia produces the line, "My Juno senses are tingling..."

It's actually pretty odd that there are nil fics about relations between Alicia and Juno, and what exactly the author thinks them to be (whether they're at each other's throats when Welkin's back's turned, or if they actually get along fairly well).
Old 2010-02-26, 19:43   Link #939
SoggySoyBean
Squishie

Hmm, just downloaded the newest DLC, and to my surprise, I didn't complete the Sel DLC? o.o apparently I somehow skipped the second mission ("Silencing the Artillery") how'd that happen, and more importantly, how do i play that mission

edit: it wouldn't happen to have anything to do with blowing up that tank would it? xD

Last edited by SoggySoyBean; 2010-02-26 at 19:51. Reason: oh wait!
SoggySoyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-26, 20:06   Link #940
DC20

Quote:
It's actually pretty odd that there are nil fics about relations between Alicia and Juno, and what exactly the author thinks them to be (whether they're at each other's throats when Welkin's back's turned, or if they actually get along fairly well).
I just haven't hit it yet It might be a little while to get there, but I've already got a side story about that planned out.