AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2010-03-14, 06:58   Link #41
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

My first and only post in this thread assuming no one replies back to me. You better not...

And it won't be long, either.

I'm not a Seiyuufag, so I don't put much time into analyzing seiyuu vocal range, or even their skill in general. In fact, the only thing I really care about is how soothing they are to the ears. As such, I pretty much dislike most tsundere roles (byebee, Kugimiya) and are more interested in seiyuu who voice the soft-spoken, or kuudere characters. Noto Mamiko and Mizuki Nana are the queens in the aspect. Both their voices can put me to sleep, and in a good way. (If I could hug Fate and Kotomi's voice, I would) I can visualize the characters they portray from their voices alone, and that's what makes a great seiyuu to me. I could really care less about anything else, because those type of character archtypes they generally voice are the kind I most often prefer. And I see no benefits to liking a seiyuu that always voices the kind of characters that annoy me into submission. Also, haet high pitched voices, Tamura Yukari is an exception, since somehow, she manages to voice all the characters I end up liking, lol...Nanoha, Rika, Mei...

Just kidding, LVD - That first part. >':

Last edited by Demi.; 2010-03-14 at 07:10.
Demi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-14, 07:08   Link #42
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVD View Post
Are we talking about vocal range, timbre or both? The more I read the post, the less sense it makes to me.

Will probably elaborate later on other seiyuu when I have time/sleep-so-things-make-sense.

Range:
Inoue Marina ≥ Takahashi Mikako ≥ Saito Chiwa > Nakahara Mai

Skill:
Chiwa ≥ Mai > Marina > Mikako

Can't think anymore as I try to remember roles of ChiwaChiwa, Mai-chan and Marina. Mittan has range and decent skill, but she can't change her timbre much.

I'm trying to not use Yukarin as an example. <_>
It's a combination. Anyone can pull of various vocal ranges, you don't even need to be a seiyuu for that. However, making these vocal ranges into quality voice acting requires skill, and more skill than just pulling of one or two good voices.

So I should probably rephrase: Having a large amount of quality vocal ranges is a clear indication of a seiyuu's skill.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-14, 10:52   Link #43
Ottocycle

Deviating from the current discussion, we all know how the franchise likes to do homages to other series, and I think it's interesting how sometimes they use the seiyuu to do that. It might be fun to ponder on these:
  • Why was Ono cast as Verossa, and then having him and Chrono share one scene in one of the soundstages? We all know Haruhi lol, this might be the sound director's way of poking fun at that show.
  • The time period Clannad aired was right after StS, so did the StS become a place to let Nakamura and Nakahara practise, since there were quite a few scenes between Teana and Vice, not to mention Laguna?
  • We all know about the SRW connotations and the Lamia/Signum stuff. heh.
  • I now wonder if Kakihara joined in on that, what with Graf Eisen's final form being a drill, of all things.

References aside, I remember getting the shock of my life at the end of A's when I heard Sugita as adult Chrono. Back then I was hot off the Sugita fanwagon after HachiKuro, Haruhi and Shuffle. Come to think of it, wouldn't his higher warranted pay because of all those successful works be a reason as to why Chrono got reduced to sipping tea in StS, I wonder. Nanoha sound budget hasn't been shown to be anywhere outstanding as well, what with so much reusing of actors for different roles, and some unheard-of actors taking on significant roles (eg. Ginga, Vice[Nakamura was an unknown back then IIRC] and Agito) .

To end it,
Spoiler for big:

My ardent hope for the next Nanoha animated production: to have the devices speak proper English! With Gundam Unicorn showing the way to go, I feel it's time the other shows stepped up to the plate as well, lol. At least let the actors correct their own lines! I seriously can't fathom how Burke was feeling when she was dubbing that I CAN BE SHOT line.
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-14, 12:53   Link #44
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

the engrish from the devices(other than that sexy digitised voice) was what made me NOT drop Nanoha though.
Old 2010-03-15, 00:34   Link #45
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
My first and only post in this thread assuming no one replies back to me. You better not...
:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Anyone can pull of various vocal ranges, you don't even need to be a seiyuu for that.
*looks at Noto Mamiko and Hanazawa Kana*
Quote:
However, making these vocal ranges into quality voice acting requires skill, and more skill than just pulling of one or two good voices.

So I should probably rephrase: Having a large amount of quality vocal ranges is a clear indication of a seiyuu's skill.
I.... What were we debating about in the first place again?

Of course a skilled seiyuu is good at being able to control their own voice. However, it's not their fault if their natural voice limits their range. Nakahara Mai can't voice young boys, but Inoue Marina can. Is Marina the better seiyuu because she has better range? Debatable. I personally think Mai is more skilled, at least for now, because she has more experience than Marina.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something. It's just with the way you word it, you make it sound like someone such as Saito Chiwa isn't as skilled as other seiyuu because she doesn't have as much range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottocycle View Post
Why was Ono cast as Verossa, and then having him and Chrono share one scene in one of the soundstages? We all know Haruhi lol, this might be the sound director's way of poking fun at that show.
Chrono x Amy = Kyon x Nyoro~n
osh-
Quote:
The time period Clannad aired was right after StS, so did the StS become a place to let Nakamura and Nakahara practise, since there were quite a few scenes between Teana and Vice, not to mention Laguna?
Nanoha + her older bro = Mei + Yuusuke = Togame + "I'll have you fall for me ~de gozaru" guy

Rofl, I think it was the last afureko for StrikerS that the group talked about who Teana likes. I forget who mentioned Vice, probably Kana-sama, and then they added how Mai-chan also voiced Laguna. In other words, since Vice was too chicken to <3 Laguna because of the eye thing + loli, let's aim for Teana instead!

Psst, you're making me think of Chrono x Nanoha like Yuuichi x Mai now....
Quote:
We all know about the SRW connotations and the Lamia/Signum stuff. heh.
NOBUYUKIIIIIIIIIIIIIII.
Quote:
I now wonder if Kakihara joined in on that, what with Graf Eisen's final form being a drill, of all things.
So, Erio should be using a sniper rifle instead of Vice and Shario should sacrifice her ass to save her friends?
Quote:
Nanoha sound budget hasn't been shown to be anywhere outstanding as well, what with so much reusing of actors for different roles, and some unheard-of actors taking on significant roles (eg. Ginga, Vice[Nakamura was an unknown back then IIRC] and Agito) .
Well, unknown people need to make a debut/take on a significant role somewhere. ;/

But re-using actors is not really surprising, especially with large casts.
Quote:
To end it,
Spoiler for big:
Spoiler:

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Bananoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-15, 05:18   Link #46
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Of course a skilled seiyuu is good at being able to control their own voice. However, it's not their fault if their natural voice limits their range.
That's something you can train.

Quote:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something. It's just with the way you word it, you make it sound like someone such as Saito Chiwa isn't as skilled as other seiyuu because she doesn't have as much range.
I'm not saying it automatically makes her a bad seiyuu, however I do take it into the calculation when I grade seiyuu.

For example:

Acting performance: 8
Emotional range: 7
Character match: 9
Vocal range: 7

Overall rating: 8

So someone who has a lower vocal range, but a better emotional range may score the same or even higher.

Also, there's a rather big difference between me rating a seiyuu, and me liking a seiyuu. One is done with objective intent, the other pure opinion.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-15, 13:11   Link #47
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
That's something you can train.
Yes, you can train yourself.... to a certain extent. I'm sure if Mizuki Nana didn't go into seiyuu training school, her voice would be lower like her sister's.

But really, unless you're telling someone to get a vocal chord transplant, you're pretty much stuck with what you've got. Not everyone can be like Kitamura Eri or Seki Tomokazu. ._.;

It's what a seiyuu can do with their range that makes them skilled. Having more range just makes them more versatile so that they can hopefully get more roles. Example: Noto Mamiko with her zero range still has a lot of skill for the stuff she can pull off. Saito Chiwa and Nakahara Mai have what I say is average range, but they're very skilled at what they can do with it.

I'm sure someone like ChiwaChiwa, Mai-chan or Yukarin would have trained themselves to go so low that they could pull off a decent shota if they could. Now brb as I dread hearing Nana in Kuroshitsuji.
Quote:
however I do take it into the calculation when I grade seiyuu.
Eh, I can't do vocal range for a single performance/series, unless they're doing a bunch of other roles. ie - KitaEri in Fairy Tail. And wait, how do you split emotional range and acting performance? Aren't they intertwined as part of the delivery?

Anyhoo, I'll grade a seiyuu on performance in a particular role. I'll also grade them as a seiyuu overall. I can't really grade "suitability for the role" in numbers because it's either passable/very minor thing I'd like changed or a complete gtfo.
Quote:
Also, there's a rather big difference between me rating a seiyuu, and me liking a seiyuu. One is done with objective intent, the other pure opinion.
This I understand.

I split up their actual acting, how much I like their voice and then their off-screen antics. Though there are some leaks - Would I like KitaEri as much if she wasn't otaku? Probably not, but she's still a good seiyuu.

Edit:
And of course youtube removed the video of Hanazawa Kana trying to sound like a guy [~de gozaru too], which would have been a fine example of how her natural voice limits her vocal range. She got the roughness down pretty good, she just couldn't get low enough. Or low at all if that's as low as she can go. Oh man, it was so terribad that Tomatsu Haruka was on the verge of tears. Tamura Yukari and Satou Rina were trying to not laugh either. Rofl.

Edit2:
So liek, vocal range = how many notes you can hit, both high and low = we're not talking about singing so =/= vocal timbre, rite. 'kay. Anyhoo.

Radio StrikerS ep 23 - Guest is Sanada Asami again.
- was hoping for someone to bump up the thread, so now I sort of forget what exactly went on.
- Mittan starts off the show with tomorrow is white day. iirc, she went all "I don't really know what to do on this day, but it doesn't really matter!" or something along those ronery vibes

Mail
- Uh, someone talked about their favourite scene with Vita, so Asanee did the same. Kinda forgot which scenes they were talking about though. x)
- Everyone is saying how Vita is their favourite character. Aw. <3
- Someone else mailed in saying how they viewed the Wolkies: Signum = onee-san, Zafira = onii-chan, Vita = tsundere imouto, I forget what Shamal was rofl.
- Asanee thought differently: Signum = papa, Shamal = mama. Zafira....
- .... Mittan and Asanee both went "... pet?" and you could hear Tsuzuki laughing in the back. Asanee went all "I'm not the only one who thinks this!" and then the slew of 犬/ペットwww

Leave it to me, StrikerS
- derp, don't remember much but I think one of them involved Vita/Asanee implying that Chrono has bad luck with girls. x)

24hr TSAB - TONGUE TWISTER TIME.
- Asanee has no idea what's going on, lol.
- Still wins at janken, haha Mittan has horrible luck. So Asanee goes second.
- They both kind of sucked, but I think Mittan did a better job.
- .... but Asanee wins the majority vote, lol.
- Mittan tries to persuade Asanee to batsu....
- .... and Asanee is nice enough to say okay....
- Mittan's modifier was to do the CM like she was a reporter in a typhoon [LOL].
- Shit is rigged. Asanee got "punk band vocalist". RIGGED RIGGED RIGGED LOL.
- "THE BATTLE OF ACES" roflroflrofl Asaneee ofdgdfgg all the Sawasensei comments.
- Mittan's was pretty funny too, like "AHH! MY UMBRELLA!"

And in the end, when Mittan asks the guest how they are, Asanee replies with something like "My heart is broken...." orz

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?

Last edited by Bananoha; 2010-03-19 at 01:58.
Old 2010-03-27, 06:06   Link #48
Xellos
There will be no miracle

Send a message via AIM to Xellos
Bored at 6AM so I'll post this:

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/0...famous-seiyuu/

Not too surprising considering Nana is the most publicly visible seiyuu atm. I'm sure her Kohaku appearance helped a bit.
Old 2010-03-27, 07:53   Link #49
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos View Post
Bored at 6AM so I'll post this:

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/0...famous-seiyuu/

Not too surprising considering Nana is the most publicly visible seiyuu atm. I'm sure her Kohaku appearance helped a bit.
And Heartcatch Casshern Precure too.
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-27, 09:59   Link #50
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos View Post
I enjoy these comments of favourites not being on there. And the 1) Nana 2) Miyukichi comment made me lmfao so hard last night. That aside~

tbh I'm still weirded out how Yukana and Amisuke are on there. Is that purely through them being in Code Geass or is it something I'm not aware of. I know Amisuke has a bit of fan club, but Yukana? Well, tits, lol. Oh yeah, Gundam stuff too. fff, is that ittttt.

Gotouza-sama is cool, but I seriously expected Minorin on there at least. Top three current seiyuu singers are there in terms of Oricon Chart ranks and Minorin already very close in terms of sales with Horie Yui and Tamura Yukari. It's just.... Minorin was on a non-anime special on Music Japan. Woo White Day (ry all those magazine specials

I'm completely fine with Tamura not being on there. It's just why is Fukui there. Ex-gravure models that popular or something? The woman thinks she can talk to trees ffs.

Maa w/e, people don't seem to want to talk about seiyuu anymore or the HAHA LET'S NOT MIZUKI NANA BANZAI OVER HER MUSIC makes people not want to post either. 8)

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Old 2010-03-27, 10:31   Link #51
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:

Maa w/e, people don't seem to want to talk about seiyuu anymore or the HAHA LET'S NOT MIZUKI NANA BANZAI OVER HER MUSIC makes people not want to post either. 8)
As far as I am concerned, I wouldn't have much to add about my three female favorites of the Nanoha cast (Mai Nakahara, the always underrated Sanae Kobayashi and Kaori Shimizu). As for males, I mostly remember Nakamura for Tomoya, and not really for Vice. Sugita just pulled his Sugita fair, without the Kyon-ism that is stuck to him since his breakthrough role. And I liked him more as Graham Spector.

As for VA who I would have liked to be cast in the series, they are either:

- Dead. (Kaneto Shiozawa, known as D in the original movie or Rei in Fist of the North Star)

- Retired. (Akira Kamiya, known as Kenshiro and Ryo Saeba)

- So OLD it's a miracle they still lives (Kenji Utsumi, known as the FABULOUS Armstrong and Raoh)

- - Underrated (Hazuki Erino, as known as Akari in Aria. Or Megumi Toyoguchi, aka Revy, Kirino in Bamboo Blade. Saki Nakajima aka Chikaru Minamoto in Strawberry panic).

- Their agencies don't seem to give a shit about the series (Jouji Nakata aka Alucard and the Type Moon villains, Fumihiko Tachiki aka Gendo from EVA and Bunji from Gungrave)
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-27, 14:51   Link #52
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Actually, Jouji Nakata played Clyde Harlaown in that one A's flashback, so he's actually fair game for this thread!

I love Jouji Nakata! I think he's one of the greatest male VAs around. He's got lots of range and can do sinister (Alucard) to goofy (Giroro) and he sounds great every time. He's absolutely amazing as Type Moon villains and one recent role of his I was greatly impressed with was Momoko in Shangri-la. Who knew he could do such a great post-op trans-sexual? His performance and that character was one of the main reasons I kept watching Shangri-la through it's rather dull beginning.

I like Nakata a lot more than Wakamoto. Don't get me wrong, Wakamoto is awesome and I love him, but whenever I hear Wakamoto's voice, I just can't take him seriously He's always got that underlying over dramatic goofiness in his voice, so even when he's supposed to be a serious villain, it just sounds funny (same can be said of Hikaru Midorikawa). Jouji can keep the serious and goofiness of his voice separate so his serious roles are serious and his comedic roles are comedic.
Old 2010-03-27, 22:16   Link #53
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
As far as I am concerned, I wouldn't have much to add about my three female favorites of the Nanoha cast (Mai Nakahara, the always underrated Sanae Kobayashi and Kaori Shimizu).
Uu, keep talking. Maybe some random fart reading this will be.... enlightened or something.
Quote:
- - Underrated (Hazuki Erino, as known as Akari in Aria. Or Megumi Toyoguchi, aka Revy, Kirino in Bamboo Blade. Saki Nakajima aka Chikaru Minamoto in Strawberry panic).
Hmm, wouldn't say Megu is that underrated.... Just most Westerners won't know her, lol.

Thing is with seiyuu, a lot need a sort of big break, like Kamiyan with Honey & Clover and then I guess Zetsubou. And even then, you might be a "one hit wonder". Or go through a dry spell — I see no Nakahara Mai, Tomatsu Haruka, Kugimiya Rie or Kawasumi Ayako so far concerning the new Spring shows.
Quote:
- Their agencies don't seem to give a shit about the series (Jouji Nakata aka Alucard and the Type Moon villains, Fumihiko Tachiki aka Gendo from EVA and Bunji from Gungrave)
Kawasumi Ayako is signed to the same agency as Nakata Jouji. Office Osawa/Osawa Agency or however you English it.o lawd I'm starting to remember Seiyuu Agencies. ;__;

inb4 Fumihiko does CM for future StS game for no real reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
I like Nakata a lot more than Wakamoto. (ry
I.... I....

I love you. ;_________________;

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Old 2010-03-27, 22:35   Link #54
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
I love you. ;_________________;
... Was it something I said?
Old 2010-03-27, 22:39   Link #55
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
... Was it something I said?
Wakamoto fagboys everywhere I go while I sit in my rittle corner waving my "I like Nakata Jouji more...." banner. 'A';

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Old 2010-03-27, 22:52   Link #56
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Like I said, I love Wakamoto too and think he's awesome, but he always makes me laugh no matter what where as Jouji will send shivers down my spine one moment, and bust my gut the next.
Old 2010-03-28, 02:22   Link #57
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

lol, there aren't very many seiyuu I actually dislike voice acting wise. Can only think of Omigawa Chiaki on the whole 'cause everyone has those bad roles....

Also lol crappy cam quality, but TAF PV of Kuroshitsuji II — Nana trying to sound like a boya just sounds like Minami Touma. good, bad, idk idc.

I want more Pucchan.

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Old 2010-03-28, 03:08   Link #58
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

Pucchan as in Tamura Yukari's PUCCHAN?!
Old 2010-03-30, 15:33   Link #59
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

And since Xellos wai gong decided to bring up that lol sankaku post, I finally got arsed enough to find mai Seiyuu Saimoe ranks - here for pictures, but the numbers/ranks aren't updated. One day, I'll figure out what's so awesome about Hocchan outside of voice acting.

Back to backlogged things tha- why am I still half-assed listening to these.

Radio StrikerS ep 24 - Guest is Sakata Sayo aka Marie and Sister Schach.

- Yeah, uhm, totally forget what went on except she has a very nice eroi voice. And they kept tying at janken, rofl.
- .... Mittan's eroi voice for modifier was not really sexy.... It was kind of cute thought? D:

Radio StrikerS ep 25 - Guest is Kameoka Mami aka Agito. derp, we share the same birthday! Yaaay.

- Er, some guy mailed in saying that he likes ponytails, but he likes twintails more. Then asked the girls what hairstyles they like? Rofl, I was too "wtf did he really ask that?" and then all of a sudden I hear Mittan saying something about Yukarin and twin tails. And some nico comments did mention her prior to Mittan saying it....
- Does Mittan have horrible luck because she's lost so many of these janken games.
- Did they always do the tongue twister with some sort of modifier or did this just happen recently.... orz "Cool and suave announcer" I guess.
- Mittan wwwww so cute.
- Kameokaaaa, nice voice~
- Everyone voted for Kameoka! Woo.
- Except Kameoka gets suckered into doing the modified CM too. Not like I'm complaining!
- Mittan is some pure girl thing and Kameoka gets something eroi.
- .... I like this erogoe, but Mittan's SFX make me lol too much. ;w;
- Ah, here it is. Mittan announcing that the next episode is the last one and the string of comments.
>> 植田と清水の圧力です
.... is the only Ueda/Shimizu comment I could find in the barrage of EHHHHHHHHHH. Sigh, sigh. Would they have been able to get on the show if it weren't for that oyaji erasing incident that needed a public apology, I wonder....

Final guest is Mizuhashi Kaori again. .w.;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nya~n View Post
Pucchan as in Tamura Yukari's PUCCHAN?!
THE ONE AND ONLY. 8D

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Old 2010-04-02, 00:40   Link #60
Xellos
There will be no miracle

Send a message via AIM to Xellos
Hocchan is #1? Maybe her death glare is moe. loljapan.