Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2009-10-13, 17:07   Link #2181
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Not sure why it was ever mentioned why it was Japan he was send to, but with Lelouch renouncing his entitlement and accusing the king it can be considered that they never mentioned him again afterward because it was a very shameful act for their family as punishment Charles banished him and Nunnally to Japan (though why Japan I forgot).
Not all siblings are close to each other in the Britannia, many hated Marianne also if I remember correctly and so I think most of them just didn't care and didn't have the authority to do anything about it in the fear that they would be punished by Charles for trying to save one that was kicked out of the family. Charles's word is God and shouldn't be questioned
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-13, 17:12   Link #2182
Nogitsune
Shameless Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
Not sure why it was ever mentioned why it was Japan he was send to, but with Lelouch renouncing his entitlement and accusing the king it can be considered that they never mentioned him again afterward because it was a very shameful act for their family as punishment Charles banished him and Nunnally to Japan (though why Japan I forgot).
Not all siblings are close to each other in the Britannia, many hated Marianne also if I remember correctly and so I think most of them just didn't care and didn't have the authority to do anything about it in the fear that they would be punished by Charles for trying to save one that was kicked out of the family
Hm... I just always figured that Jeremiah would have been annoyed enough about it to mention it or that it would at least have come up in Stage 0.884, when the Imperial Siblings are talking about how they never imagined Britannia would go to war with Japan.
If it was such a shameful act, I would also expect the nobles to gossip, so that every time someone said, "Lelouch and Nunally died in Japan", someone else would add, "yes, after having been banished in disgrace".
Old 2009-10-14, 03:12   Link #2183
Betteroffer

I'm going on pure assumption-fuel for this, but from what I understand, Jeremiah was basically a mook guard at the time. I haven't watched the picture drama in a while, but I think he said he was recently out of the training academy and/or had barely been a guard at Aries for a week before Marianne was killed. As such he wasn't exactly in a position to look too far up the chain of command without getting himself and his own family into trouble.

In truth, I can't even remember if Jeremiah said anything to imply or confirm he was even aware that Lelouch and Nunally were sent to Japan specifically.

Clovis and a few of the other royal siblings were aware, but it may have been kept fairly secret from lower levels, similar to how Euphemia apparently hadn't appeared in the news in any fashion despite being Cornelia's sister until she came to Japan.

As for why they were sent to Japan, while the "official" reason was probably as a good faith gesture to the Japanese government and/or the sakuradite industry, the actual reason was to protect them from V.V. and the other nobles. Basically, with no noble family of their own, they would have been targeted by the rest of their family and the nobles who really did view them as eyesores. If Charles tried to protect them himself, then this would only endanger them further as it would be seen as affection, or as Britannians call it: "Exploitable Weakness" and/or V.V. might go after them as well. Charles' rant and banishement of them to Japan made them look unimportant, moved them too far away for anyone to go after them "just in case," and gave them a diplomatic purpose, so no one who knew they were sent off would want harm to come to them, as it would hurt negotiations.

On the Japanese end, Genbu had plenty of incentive to keep Lelouch and Nunally alive at least, as he could lose favor with the Japanese people if Britannia could reveal that they sent children into his custody and he let them die, and as was said; they gave him a measure of leverage in negotiations.

As said in the Imperial Siblings sound drama, going to war with Japan was a surprise. Originally, Japan was too far away from Britannia and too close to China and the EU to risk invading, thus it was effectively a safe haven to send Lelouch and Nunally. The general understanding is that it was when Japan joined the EU and Chinese Federation in Blockading Britannia from trade (and possible pressure from the Directorate to locate Geass ruins in the east) that Britannia's (and Charles') hand was forced so to speak. Charles had to act and as much as he cared for his children, he had to keep Britannia going in order to complete Ragnarok, thus the invasion.
Betteroffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 09:33   Link #2184
Nogitsune
Shameless Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betteroffer View Post
In truth, I can't even remember if Jeremiah said anything to imply or confirm he was even aware that Lelouch and Nunally were sent to Japan specifically.
In the PD, he talks about Lelouch and Nunally having died in Japan - I'm pretty sure that was common knowledge. It's also considered the reason why Jeremiah hates Elevens, but I'm not entirely sure if that was explicitly stated somewhere.

Quote:
If Charles tried to protect them himself, then this would only endanger them further as it would be seen as affection, or as Britannians call it: "Exploitable Weakness" and/or V.V. might go after them as well. Charles' rant and banishement of them to Japan made them look unimportant, moved them too far away for anyone to go after them "just in case," and gave them a diplomatic purpose, so no one who knew they were sent off would want harm to come to them, as it would hurt negotiations.
Since Britannia was already hated in Japan at that time, it was probably not so different the other way around, and it's not like Britannia to care about negotiations in the first place. As one of the Sound Dramas shows, Lelouch feared assassins - the court probably didn't give a damn about his life.
I also still think Charles' plan was incredibly faulty, and that no one forced him to send Lelouch to exactly the country he would later on invade - he could at least have tried to get him back first, and be it by letting someone kidnap him and Nunally.
I'm also still not convinced that word got around about the banishment thing, since no one ever mentioned it. Considering how epic the confrontation was, at least the Imperial Siblings should have mentioned it.

Quote:
On the Japanese end, Genbu had plenty of incentive to keep Lelouch and Nunally alive at least, as he could lose favor with the Japanese people if Britannia could reveal that they sent children into his custody and he let them die, and as was said; they gave him a measure of leverage in negotiations.
Actually, since the Japanese hated Britannia, I'm not sure how much they would have cared if Genbu had made an excuse and killed them, or claimed they killed themselves. It's just that he wanted to actively use them as political tools - Lelouch later on compares this to what the Ashford family does.

Quote:
As said in the Imperial Siblings sound drama, going to war with Japan was a surprise. Originally, Japan was too far away from Britannia and too close to China and the EU to risk invading, thus it was effectively a safe haven to send Lelouch and Nunally. The general understanding is that it was when Japan joined the EU and Chinese Federation in Blockading Britannia from trade (and possible pressure from the Directorate to locate Geass ruins in the east) that Britannia's (and Charles') hand was forced so to speak. Charles had to act and as much as he cared for his children, he had to keep Britannia going in order to complete Ragnarok, thus the invasion.
Hm... interesting speculation. Have to think about that.
Old 2009-10-14, 14:26   Link #2185
Betteroffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogitsune View Post
In the PD, he talks about Lelouch and Nunally having died in Japan - I'm pretty sure that was common knowledge. It's also considered the reason why Jeremiah hates Elevens, but I'm not entirely sure if that was explicitly stated somewhere.
Just wanted to confirm. Though I would only call it common knowledge in that it was available to the public, not that they made it known in general, as Lelouch wuld probably have changed more than just his and Nunally's surname.

Quote:
Since Britannia was already hated in Japan at that time, it was probably not so different the other way around, and it's not like Britannia to care about negotiations in the first place. As one of the Sound Dramas shows, Lelouch feared assassins - the court probably didn't give a damn about his life.
I also still think Charles' plan was incredibly faulty, and that no one forced him to send Lelouch to exactly the country he would later on invade - he could at least have tried to get him back first, and be it by letting someone kidnap him and Nunally.
I'm also still not convinced that word got around about the banishment thing, since no one ever mentioned it. Considering how epic the confrontation was, at least the Imperial Siblings should have mentioned it.
Hated or not, the Japanese had incentive to keep them alive, which is more than can be said for V.V. and the Britannian court. The former would definately be a danger, and the latter would as well, either by personal nature, bribing from V.V., or concern if Charles suddenly went to uncharacteristic lengths to look after two weak kids when he is otherwise preaching about survival of the fittest. The court probably wouldn't care unless given a reason to. Britannia clearly does care about negotiations, given that Charles told Lelouch that he and Nunally would be bargaining tools. This, along with Schneizel's actions as the Prime Minister, and the fact that Britannia still allowed the trade of sakuradite to other nations after conquering Japan prove that Britannia did negotiate, even if it was just a pretext to reload.

Again, he wasn't originally planning on invading Japan (at least, not for a good while longer). He was counting on its position in the global economy, distance from Britannia, and being in the proverbial backyard of both China and the EU to be a good reason for him to say they couldn't risk invading, and Genbu was already pitting the three suprpowers against each other in bidding wars for sakuradite. Genbu agreeing to the trade blockades with the EU and CF forced Charles' hand.

Charles' plan had faults but he didn't exactly have many options. He had an immortal version of Rolo clinging to him, and an entire city full of political vultures watching his every move for a chance to better themselves at his expense. We also can't be sure that Charles didn't try to have Lelouch and Nunally evacuated before or during the invasion. Again, Charles' options would be limited in that he couldn't send someone in too early before the invasion without arousing suspicion that he wanted his kids back. If he jeopordized the invasion for his children, then they would be targets again.

They were also staying with Genbu, so it would be safe to assume that they planned to capture the Kururugi shrine intact and rescue Lelouch and Nunally under the pretext of "Oh, they were there so we decided to save them too." Unfortunately, Charles acting was too good and Lelouch decided to escape from the Kururugi Shrine, believing precisely that someone from Britannia would come for them and drag them back to Charles to repeat the process, or kill them right there.

Quote:
Actually, since the Japanese hated Britannia, I'm not sure how much they would have cared if Genbu had made an excuse and killed them, or claimed they killed themselves. It's just that he wanted to actively use them as political tools - Lelouch later on compares this to what the Ashford family does.
Killing hated enemies is different than butchering a 10 year old boy and his 8 year old invalid sister, and anything happening to them would at least invite scrutiny from Genbu's colleagues, the Japanese citizens, and the international community (think Tienamin Square and China) and at most "justify" the wrath of Britannia.

In any case, as you said, they were valuable politicl tools
Betteroffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-15, 11:22   Link #2186
mizou
Observer

is it true the story of a new season : Revival re:advent ?
http://www.geass.jp/
Old 2009-10-15, 11:35   Link #2187
Meatrose
Antihero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizou View Post
is it true the story of a new season : Revival re:advent ?
http://www.geass.jp/
It's not a new season, it's an event to celebrate Lelouch's birthday (December 5). Several voice actors will be there, performing a "live picture drama on stage" together. Fukuyama Jun (Lelouch), Koshimizu Ami (Kallen), Sakurai Takahiro (Suzaku), Yukana (C.C.), Mizushima Takahiro (Rolo), Sugiyama Noriaki (Rivalz) and Narita Ken (Jeremiah) will be there. They'll be joined by Hitomi so I guess she will perform live, possibly act as BGM for the stage event.
Old 2009-10-19, 12:29   Link #2188
CapoExecutor
In R'lyeh where he dreams

Kinda wondered why Lelouch didn't bother learning how to fatally poison people when he was still a prince if he knew about assassins in the royal court. Obviously, no one would suspect a nine-year old to secretly slip toxins into someone's afternoon tea and such.

By the way, in a swordfight, who would win? Toudou or Xingke?

ACQUIRING COMPLETE.
CapoExecutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 16:37   Link #2189
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapoExecutor View Post
Kinda wondered why Lelouch didn't bother learning how to fatally poison people when he was still a prince if he knew about assassins in the royal court. Obviously, no one would suspect a nine-year old to secretly slip toxins into someone's afternoon tea and such.
Hmm, good question. Of course poison never really came into play in the world of Code Geass. I mean, first things first is how would Lelouch even get poison in the first place? What's more is I don't think he would even have a reason to poison people during the time he was in the Britannian court and when he did have a reason that was when he was exiled. There's also the possibility that he wouldn't do it because he thinks it's unethical to use poison (ah who am I kidding? Of course not) Well, poison would just make it too easy anyway.

Quote:
By the way, in a swordfight, who would win? Toudou or Xingke?
Ah, you know I was originally just going to say Xing-ke right away, but now that I think about it, there's a lot to consider. There's Tohdoh's age, Tohdoh's experience as a swordsman, Xingke's skills as a swordsman, and of course Xingke's illness. Hmm, even still I think I would say Xing-ke since he's younger and in his prime and his illness hasn't ruined his piloting skills so why should it ruin his swordsman skills?
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 17:33   Link #2190
TimelessEcholocation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9 View Post
Ah, you know I was originally just going to say Xing-ke right away, but now that I think about it, there's a lot to consider. There's Tohdoh's age, Tohdoh's experience as a swordsman, Xingke's skills as a swordsman, and of course Xingke's illness. Hmm, even still I think I would say Xing-ke since he's younger and in his prime and his illness hasn't ruined his piloting skills so why should it ruin his swordsman skills?
Well, the styles also factors in. Does Xingke use a Shaolin or Wudan style of sword skills? Is Toudou a master in one particular style of Kenjitsu or more than one?
Old 2009-10-19, 17:55   Link #2191
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimelessEcholocation View Post
Well, the styles also factors in. Does Xingke use a Shaolin or Wudan style of sword skills? Is Toudou a master in one particular style of Kenjitsu or more than one?
Ha ha ha, well I have a feeling I'm in way over my head here. This is not my forte so I'll leave someone else to opinionate on it.
Old 2009-10-20, 01:50   Link #2192
Paladinoras
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimelessEcholocation View Post
It wouldn't really matter. Xingke would still win. The Chinese swordfighting style, from what I can see, focuses on speed and agility, so Xingke, being much younger, would have an advantage. Kenjutsu mainly focuses on killshots, from what I can see, and I don't see how Toudou could land one, if Xingke were to dart around and slash him.

Credit to Godlike1889 for the sig!
Paladinoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-20, 02:08   Link #2193
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

It depends on the skill of the wielder. I've seen a person trained in the use of saber fencing, from his time in the navy, fight someone trained in the use of katanas. Two radically different styles of fighting, whereas sabers rely on thrusts for killing strokes, while katanas are all slash and cut. Yet the person who had more training was the person using the saber, and he won the match, despite his opponent being bigger and stronger, and having a larger weapon.

Since we have only seen Xing-ke in a serious fight using a sword, while we have not seeing Toudou in the same situation, the question is impossible to answer.
Old 2009-10-20, 02:14   Link #2194
Paladinoras
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
It depends on the skill of the wielder. I've seen a person trained in the use of saber fencing, from his time in the navy, fight someone trained in the use of katanas. Two radically different styles of fighting, whereas sabers rely on thrusts for killing strokes, while katanas are all slash and cut. Yet the person who had more training was the person using the saber, and he won the match, despite his opponent being bigger and stronger, and having a larger weapon.

Since we have only seen Xing-ke in a serious fight using a sword, while we have not seeing Toudou in the same situation, the question is impossible to answer.
That too, we have never seen Toudou get serious with a katana before.

He might be Rurouni Kenshin-good...or as good as any regular Japanese army officer. Which is to say...not very good.

Credit to Godlike1889 for the sig!
Paladinoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-21, 02:10   Link #2195
HollowScar

Send a message via Yahoo to HollowScar
C.C.: If I grant you power, could you go on? I propose a deal—in exchange for this power, you must agree to make my one wish come true. Accept this contract, and you accept its conditions. While living in the world of humans, you will live unlike any other: a different providence, a different time, a different life. The Power of the King will condemn you to a life of solitude. Are you prepared for this?

So, we never really saw Lelouch live a life of solitude, as he always had others to support him. How then did he suffer solitude?

Also, what happened to Lelouch after death? I assume he went to the world of C, but what is the world of C? What happens there? Is it like the place in Death Note, where all the users live in solitude?

Thank you.
HollowScar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-21, 02:42   Link #2196
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowScar View Post
C.C.: If I grant you power, could you go on? I propose a deal—in exchange for this power, you must agree to make my one wish come true. Accept this contract, and you accept its conditions. While living in the world of humans, you will live unlike any other: a different providence, a different time, a different life. The Power of the King will condemn you to a life of solitude. Are you prepared for this?

So, we never really saw Lelouch live a life of solitude, as he always had others to support him. How then did he suffer solitude?

Also, what happened to Lelouch after death? I assume he went to the world of C, but what is the world of C? What happens there? Is it like the place in Death Note, where all the users live in solitude?

Thank you.
Well that's just it. At the very end of the series C.C. said that the whole "life of solitude" deal wasn't entirely true. Also, it could be said that Lelouch suffered solitude many times throughout the show as he lost and hurt many people that were close to him.

As for the World of C, yes, that is the general consensus that it is the Code Geass world's afterlife. As for what goes on in it is anyone's guess. Some speculate that after a person's consciousness is added to the mass they simply remain unconscious and stay in the World of C. Some speculate that there is an actual conscious afterlife that people live in. And some speculate that eventually a person's consciousness is recycled into a new body. So there is no definite answer.
Old 2009-10-21, 02:43   Link #2197
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

It may also be a beach that Clovis is lounging in.
Old 2009-10-21, 02:51   Link #2198
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
It may also be a beach that Clovis is lounging in.
Yes, a beach or Jupiter. Either one
Old 2009-10-21, 03:08   Link #2199
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Perhaps even a beach ON Jupiter. Somehow.
Old 2009-10-21, 03:38   Link #2200
Zetsubou Bunny
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Zetsubou Bunny Send a message via MSN to Zetsubou Bunny Send a message via Yahoo to Zetsubou Bunny
Hurricanes five times the size of Earth. Beaches. It all adds up.
Zetsubou Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
q&a