AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Ouran Host Club

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-02-28, 11:25   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Ouran Host Club licensed by FUNimation

This is second hand so please treat it as rumour at this point in time but over in the ToonZone forums they are discussing a comment made during the Bandai Panel at the New York Comic Con 2007.

Ouran licensed...by someone

Quote:
During the Bandai panel at NYCC it was mentioned that Bandai had tried to aquire Ouran High School Host Club. However, it appears that the series has already been picked up by a company.
So far I hadn't seen any confirmation of this statement, it hasn't appeared at ANN or AoD (beyond similar unofficial discussion in their forums), so if anyone has further details then please post.

Since we haven't seen a company make any official announcement, then AnimeSuki will consider the title as unlicensed at this point in time. For now, this thread can be used to discuss aspects of the rumoured license.

I'll certainly look forward when the DVDs are released. This series was one of the unexpected hits for me back in April of last year (2006). Previously I had read the first volume of the manga (when it was published in the U.S.) but while it was OK it didn't strike a chord, that all changed when the anime appeared. So, looking forward for the "other" Haruhi to be licensed.
Old 2007-02-28, 21:36   Link #2
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Ah I heard this the other day....hmm well not surprising. I also look forward to the DVD releases.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2007-03-05, 08:47   Link #3
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

At the end of the day i'm happy with whoever its going to be (though i can just see it being Viz). It makes sense that its been licensed, what with how popular the manga is outside of Japan - and of course you have the fangirl audience that i know have been waiting for this announcement.

Looking forward to being able to watch Haruhi-in-action whenever i feel like.
Old 2007-03-12, 02:25   Link #4
gummybear
MUDKIP MUD!

great, another good anime ruin by dub
Old 2007-05-30, 01:49   Link #5
KittiKat16
Meww =3

Send a message via MSN to KittiKat16
I hope it's either Bandai, Viz or Funimation. They're the best.
Old 2007-06-05, 17:58   Link #6
horo_horo27

Send a message via AIM to horo_horo27
no one let 4kids at it *shiver* everything they touch dies, quite literally. *cough* shaman king *cough* >.<
Old 2007-06-17, 13:12   Link #7
ibreatheanime

I can see why it would be lisenced... its pretty foreigner friendly. However I havent heard anything yet.
Old 2007-06-19, 22:53   Link #8
mangafanatic

Eh, I don't know if I completely agree with that. I don't know how an average Western audience would deal with the idea of a "host club", were they to catch on to some of the connotations.
Old 2007-06-22, 11:45   Link #9
Banryuu
Bounce! Bounce!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangafanatic View Post
Eh, I don't know if I completely agree with that. I don't know how an average Western audience would deal with the idea of a "host club", were they to catch on to some of the connotations.
Anime fans would likely deal with it pretty well. At least, the types of people this show is marketed towards anyways.
Old 2007-07-04, 21:49   Link #10
chibi_hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittiKat16 View Post
I hope it's either Bandai, Viz or Funimation. They're the best.
I agree with you except for the Viz mention :/ Their edits to Yami no Matsui and just about everything else of their I was interested manga wise has left a pretty sour taste in my mouth.

But from what I read on the other forums and the links in the other forums, it looks like Viz was the one that wanted to license the series but got beat to it, so I'm relieved ^_^;;. I'll be happy as long as 4kids doesn't somehow get a hold of it! haha. Bandai, Funi, or even Geneon would make me happy. Though I somehow see Funimation at least attempting to get this title, considering they put out Fruits Basket, and the two series seem to be along the same lines. Not plot wise, but fanbase wise.

Either way, I'm really happy to hear that Ouran finally got picked up, I knew it was just a matter of time. I hate watching things on my computer, especially longer series like Ouran High School Host Club. Sitting through 26 episodes on my desktop is just too much for me.
Old 2007-07-20, 16:44   Link #11
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Well the cat is out of the Bag, it's Funi!

Source : ANN

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Old 2007-07-20, 18:40   Link #12
FireChick

GREAT NEWS EVERYONE!!! FUNimation has officially gained license to Ouran High School Host Club!!! Woohooooooooooo!!!
Old 2007-07-20, 22:04   Link #13
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Thumbs up

I'm very pleased with the news that FUNimation aquired Ouran, and that Bandai, Bang Zoom, and no California voice actor will ever touch its golden majesty.

For the longest time I had thought FUNimation wouldn't get the title, given how long it took for a license to appear and how popular Ouran was. But my sister and I did a lot of lobbying, not only with representatives but with phone calls and word-of-mouth promotion to other schools across the state to bug FUNimation to pull some strings to get it.

Heck, if I had connection to the other Navarre shareholders I'd have bugged them as well.

Best news since I heard Gurren-Lagann got picked up by ADV. 2007 is officially a win.
Old 2007-07-20, 22:05   Link #14
-Breakthrough-

WIN. Period.

I saw this coming a mile away actually, Ouran seems to be a series Funi would most likely get.
Old 2007-07-20, 22:52   Link #15
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I think it was Vexx who said it was going to be an expensive year. He's not wrong.

I'm glad that Funi got this, since I have a high opinion of them, and there's no obvious reason why they can't do a good job with this. Should be good.
Old 2007-07-20, 23:59   Link #16
Liingo
Love Hina?

Great News.

Now to just wait until they get released in Australia...
Old 2007-07-21, 05:43   Link #17
Sailor Enlil
GWAAAA!

I wonder how they'll do this (like how the english-speaking Haruhi will inadvertedly fool everyone into thinking she's a guy by voice, unless they can pick a voice actor with a really good androgynous voice). And how about her dad? I'd like to see him done .
Old 2007-07-22, 13:53   Link #18
rpgman1

If Funimation can do a good job with Fruits Basket, then it'll have no problem with Ouran. Just cast people suitable to the characters.
Old 2007-07-24, 08:07   Link #19
LolitaDecay
Kotomi Fangirl~

Send a message via MSN to LolitaDecay
That's great news! I'm not interested in the dubs anyway so this is no big deal for me, I hope these come out soon. I eagerly await to buy the first volume.
Old 2007-07-28, 14:15   Link #20
FireChick

I'm thinking Carrie Savage should do Hunny. Vic Mignogna should be happy now because I hear he's been dying to get a part in the show. He wants to do Tamaki. I think he'd be a good Hikaru.
Closed Thread