AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-08, 23:02   Link #141
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Kunihiko Ikuhara seems to have put rumors of his involvement to rest via twitter.

Translated tweet.

'I think it is better that young people who are determined to have a good go at something will make it, because "Young people have a go at something" was how that was made.'
Good guy Ikuhara.

Of course, the flip side is that it might have a major backfire with letting "Young People" take a go at it. So crossing my fingers...

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2012-07-09, 01:42   Link #142
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
On one hand... Sailor Moon was one of my first animes (back then, I didn't even know the term anime, actually), back in the days of toonami black around 4 PM or so. I see this thread title, and I go 'WTF ARE YOU SERIOUS???" and it would seem it is serious. And now, I'm going to rain on some parades

First and foremost, I have yet to see a successful modern remake of classic anime. The first thing that jumped into my mind, in fact, was what happened to Rurouni Kenshin: hugely popular back in the 90's, and the new stuff was completely horrible. I think a lot of people here are being extremely nostalgic and remembering the "good old days" of anime. Since we only know that an anime has been announced... we don't even know if it'll be OVAs or a TV series. Either way, I am not getting my hopes up just for them to be ruined (and then Studio DEEN comes along to announce they're animating... dear god I would just want to killed then and there)

The second thing, the stuff that worked in the 90's like monster of the week and other tropes... don't expect them to be successful in this day and age. In this case, I think of Slayers- with the most recent series, I understand things once again went rather downhill, and that one of the central gags of the series (Lina's breast size) which worked back then no longer works in modern day... and yet that was still incorporated (on a completely different side note, I swear in quite a few scenes Lina doesn't look that small. Maybe it's because of lolis running rampant in anime.)

So basically, while it would be awesome to see Sailor Moon done in modern animation style... don't let your nostalgia carry you away, because all remakes I've heard about so far have been inferior to the originals

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Old 2012-07-09, 01:46   Link #143
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Good guy Ikuhara.

Of course, the flip side is that it might have a major backfire with letting "Young People" take a go at it. So crossing my fingers...
Well, Mari Okada is 36, who knows whether that'd make the cut in their "young people" consideration. Hopefully not.
Old 2012-07-09, 01:52   Link #144
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
Well, Mari Okada is 36, who knows whether that'd make the cut in their "young people" consideration. Hopefully not.
Wait,I'm the one that's supposed to try and derail this thread with "Fear Okada" talk (especialy since she's fresh off Kenshin and lupin)

But more seriously, I'm hoping this is what was talked about in this article
Old 2012-07-09, 02:15   Link #145
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Seriously guys. Unless you actually want arguably the biggest and most influential magical girl anime to be ruined by a certain writer, one shall not speak of her name in this thread. Urobuchi, Ikuhara, heck even Yoshino (he did write Mai Hime afterall) is preferred. Just not THAT writer. Ruined Lupin and Kenshin for me.
Old 2012-07-09, 02:24   Link #146
Grand Phoenix
The Master of Turkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari Sweat
Seriously guys. Unless you actually want arguably the biggest and most influential magical girl anime to be ruined by a certain writer, one shall not speak of her name in this thread.
And who would that be?
Old 2012-07-09, 10:46   Link #147
maximilianjenus
[E]

they should hrie the guy who wrote futakoi alternative.
Old 2012-07-09, 12:32   Link #148
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Phoenix View Post
And who would that be?
Read both posts before the one you quoted since I'm not going to be the one to jinx this thread any longer with that infamous name.
Old 2012-07-09, 13:02   Link #149
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyu View Post

For one, I would be curious how in the world will the director manage Usagi. People tend to remember her as a cry-baby, but the reality is if she lost these childlike/un-appealing aspects, she would be so much of a Messiah/Purity-Sue/HighQueen character that the story might be broken.
Well actually.....the original anime series really kinda butchers her character from the manga. In the manga, she has the "I'm scared-I don't wanna fight wah" attitude for about literally ONE volume. Then she really matures after that. I was a bit irked than the anime directors decided to make her that way for almost the ENTIRE 200 episodes, aside from really serious moments when she needed to be brave and do what needed done.

Quote:
The second thing, the stuff that worked in the 90's like monster of the week and other tropes... don't expect them to be successful in this day and age. In this case, I think of Slayers- with the most recent series, I understand things once again went rather downhill,
I do prefer classic Slayers to the new series, that's for sure.

Quote:
and that one of the central gags of the series (Lina's breast size) which worked back then no longer works in modern day... and yet that was still incorporated (on a completely different side note, I swear in quite a few scenes Lina doesn't look that small. Maybe it's because of lolis running rampant in anime.)
Lol, that's the funny part: Lina was NEVER flat-chested; she looks at least to have a B cup. The problem for her was that ALL the other female characters around her were much bigger, so she looked flat compared to them.

However I think an up-to-date version of Sailormoon would fare better than Kenshin or Slayers, reasons being there are many things in the 90s series of SM that feel very very dated and could use a heaping dose of improvement. Animation/messy artwork is one. Music is another. Oh gawd...dat BACKGROUND MUSIC.

Plus I've seen Toei's new artwork for the "revival" on Sailormoon merchandise; it's all over f.y.e. and Hot Topic and it looks good.

Just compare THIS old binder

with THIS new notebook

o____O

(For all who are too lazy to click the link, the old binder is fugly. )

Last edited by Chiibi; 2012-07-09 at 13:21.
Old 2012-07-09, 13:22   Link #150
tsunade666

^Tuxedo mask still looks idiot to me. No matter how many years it is and how they will improve it won't probably change it
Old 2012-07-09, 13:29   Link #151
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
^Tuxedo mask still looks idiot to me. No matter how many years it is and how they will improve it won't probably change it
I'm in the same boat as you.

He really IS a joke.

But hey, at least this gives lots of other anime LOL opportunities to make fun of him, AND TAKE THOSE THEY DO.

As far as "sexy/badass male accomplice to magical girl" THIS guy does a much better job, imho

Last edited by Chiibi; 2012-07-09 at 14:20.
Old 2012-07-09, 13:43   Link #152
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Just compare THIS old binder
with THIS new notebook
Is... is it bad if I prefer the old binder?
That new art looks really awful to me... 90s designs do not work with modern artistic techniques.
Man, this remake is gonna looks really bad...
Old 2012-07-09, 13:49   Link #153
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

I like both styles, they each have their own charm.

Old 2012-07-09, 13:58   Link #154
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Is... is it bad if I prefer the old binder?
Yes, it is!

lol

Image might be too small to tell but I have a notebook with the same image, and they REALLY screwed up the faces and dimples. The frames look all squashy and the dimples look like scuff marks. o___O It looks terrible and I don't know what they were thinking, honestly.
As an artist myself, it makes me cringe when I look at that book. XD

Quote:
That new art looks really awful to me... 90s designs do not work with modern artistic techniques.
This is 90s-made too and I think it looks......almost the same? o_o

The color's a bit richer but....

Last edited by Chiibi; 2012-07-09 at 14:15.
Old 2012-07-09, 14:29   Link #155
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Is... is it bad if I prefer the old binder? .
Yeah, the 'old binder''s art looks way better; the heads and proportions are more balanced(esp the heads). It just looks cuter.

Old 2012-07-09, 14:34   Link #156
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Mars is the question mark. Namely how she will act. I understand her manga, stage, and anime personalities were all quite different.
None can be as different as her Japanese to English dub total shift in personalities. Instead of her just being the "serious mature one" that kind of views Usagi as clueless irresponsible and ditzy (which she is) they just made her outright mean spirited and unlikeable. I remember them actually changing a script in one episode where Usagi is supposed to leave the cresent moon wand to Rei because she felt she'd be the best one to look after it to Serena accidentally leaving the wand there (which makes no sense in context) and Raye berating her for it in front of everyone when initally she was just giving it back. It was really something.

There's plenty of other examples of them changing her dialogue to make her just more of an outright bitch to other characters where initially she was doing nothing of the kind or just giving Usagi a hard time. Those are the days of dubbing for TV anime I really do not miss.

Now that I think of it most of the other characters had some personality shift as well. Mercury is a lot more bashful and meek in the original whereas I remember her being kind of confrontational in the dub, Chibi-Usa is still pretty bratty, but she's a lot more symphathetic in the original whereas "Rini" was just a demon child...in fact the only character that really seems to carry over well is Jupiter. I'm pretty sure it's just because they tried to harden up the cast to appeal more to young males and Jupiter was already pretty masculine so she just kind of stayed the same.
Old 2012-07-09, 14:43   Link #157
SolCiel

I hope Tuxedo Mask actually gets his power upgrade like in the manga. After reading it, I can never look at the anime the same way again (Cosmos only getting a silhouette was boo imo =A=).
Old 2012-07-09, 14:48   Link #158
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Sailor Moon was my first manga and I had every single volume, it also got me to draw manga style art. I guess it will be interesting to watch again.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2012-07-09, 15:29   Link #159
VampirePaladin

I am more interested in how Usagi's pacifistic tendencies were an anime construct. She was not brutal in the manga, but she was also not the type to stand barefoot, get repeatedly blasted and tell someone to take her anger out on herself (Usagi).

I am not looking forward to the costumes from the final arc if the entire manga is animated. I really loathe their final forms especially compared to their regular and super ones.

I find it amusing that so many people are scared of Miss Okada. If Cutie Honey can survive three anime reboots and two live action ones then I don't think Sailor Moon has too much to worry about in that regard.

I do think that Chibiusa and Hotaru will both be depicted as moe to some extent at the very least.
Old 2012-07-09, 15:50   Link #160
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
Actually, come to think of it, if she 'sensualizes' the Senshi as much as she did Fujiko Mine, I'm all for it.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Closed Thread

Tags
remake, shoujo