AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2009-03-14, 10:29   Link #1
GreenLama
Banned

Saturday morning cartoons, then & now.....

So who loved saturday morning cartoons as a kid? What was your weekly tradition for watching them and which cartoons were your favorite? Also to add to the discussion, what satAM cartoons do you watch now?

Well for me, I would always wake up early as a child (in the 80's), probably around 5:30AM and I would watch some show with a guy on a boat with a yellow raincoat and he would paint pictures and whatnot, it was a live action show and he had a name, something like "Captain Bob" or something. Well, at 6am the cartoons would come on and I watched everything from He-Man, TMNT, Thundercats, Muppet Babies, :The Real" Ghostbusters, Rock n' Wrestling, Garfield and Friends, Super Mario Bros: Super Show, Smurfs, Inspector Gadget and just about every other cartoon that was on back in those days. Then around noon when the cartoons ended I would play Nintendo until WWF Wrestling came on and then when that was over I would go outside to play. But while watching all those cartoons I would kill off a few bowls of cereal, all different kinds back then, I loved it!!

As far as today goes, I usualy wake up around 8ish and lately I have been watching Huntik and Chaotic: Marillion Invasion on CW4Kids, and Bakugan, The Secret Saturdays, Batman:TB&TB and Ben 10: Alien Force on Cartoon Network. I feel it's a nice schedule but it was better a few months ago when 4KidsTV had Di-Gata Defenders and CW4Kids has Spectacular Spider-Man.
GreenLama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-14, 11:58   Link #2
SnowyOwl
Missingno

I used to watch a ton of different Saturday morning cartoons. I would probably wake up around 7 a.m. just to watch them all. I often switched between Fox and WB because there were always shows I liked on both channels.

I was really into the whole Pokemon, Digimon, and Yu-Gi-Oh! phase. I also watched other shows. The ones that made the most impact were the three I mentioned though. I was obsessed with them and always had to watch them above all the others.

Now? The only Cartoons I usually watch = Anime on the computer from Crunchyroll. They don't really air as much as they used to. And some of the cartoons aren't as good as the old ones.

After cartoons I would always play my favorite Nintendo SNES and Nintendo 64 later on.
SnowyOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-14, 21:25   Link #3
GreenLama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowyOwl View Post
I used to watch a ton of different Saturday morning cartoons. I would probably wake up around 7 a.m. just to watch them all. I often switched between Fox and WB because there were always shows I liked on both channels.

I was really into the whole Pokemon, Digimon, and Yu-Gi-Oh! phase. I also watched other shows. The ones that made the most impact were the three I mentioned though. I was obsessed with them and always had to watch them above all the others.

Now? The only Cartoons I usually watch = Anime on the computer from Crunchyroll. They don't really air as much as they used to. And some of the cartoons aren't as good as the old ones.

After cartoons I would always play my favorite Nintendo SNES and Nintendo 64 later on.
You grew up in the 90's then I assume? It's funny because I stopped watching Saturday morning cartoons around the time period where you were watching, I was being close minded at the time and had given up on cartoons and animation as a whole.
Old 2009-03-15, 01:43   Link #4
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Wow... so the OP missed Animaniacs, Pinky&theBrain, Freakazoid, Tinytoons?

Hell, my *officemates* and I watched those
Old 2009-03-15, 02:05   Link #5
solomon

Born in 88. As a 90s kid, I was at the edge of the saturday morning relevancy age (60s till late 90s).

I was oblivious to the big 3 showing cartoons although by 92 NBC had stopped. My real cartoon source was cable (nick primarilly at first). I was a Fox Kid in the mid 90s for like 3 years I really remember power rangers, bobby's world, spiderman, xmen taz mania and life with louie.

Then Kids WB came about and that was my major saturday morning source. WB animation really was on a roll throughout the 90s, what with batman, superman, animaniacs, pinky and the brain, etc. Periodically I would check out abc, by this time they were bought out by disney. I enjoyed watching disney's one saturday morning although in washington dc the affiliate showed the schedule out of whack so the doug/recess/pepper ann block aired at freaking 6 am. When I visited my gramma in philly I would be able to watch the regular schedule from 8am-1pm, mickey mouse works was decent. Also the bugs bunny and tweety show showed a lot of looney tunes shorts that hadnt been in regular nick or CN or WB rotation so it was always a treat to see those on rare ocassions. I don't remember seeing much of cbs save for ninja turtles every once in a blue moon.

Kids WB maintained strong programming until the late 90s when they started to drop. When they acquirred Pokemon is where they jumped the shark as a network, even though I still liked pokemon well into it's Kids WB run. After WB animation stopped work on batman beyond (the last sat am cartoon with any "bite"), the network really stopped being interesting in my opinion.

Glad to be a 90s kid, the last hurrah for terrestrial broadcast cartoons, and without much of the gayness that preceeded, I was a HUGE cartoon freak as a child so I watched 70s-80s reruns on CN and in syndication endlessly, looking back at it, the 70s and 80s REALLY STUNK for the most part.

Still i was born into the age of cable so Nick and Cartoon Network really caught my heart first.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-15, 02:14   Link #6
sa547
*Author

Back in kinder and elementary, Saturday morning used to be something to look forward to. Waking up early, grab that box of cereal and milk, fill 'em up and head off to the TV set.

Not today, as this commentary says, as well as a look-into by Animation World Magazine.

Kids right now are more interested in tween sitcoms and Hannah Montana (and bleh, my niece sounds like Miley Cyrus).

Last edited by sa547; 2009-03-15 at 03:01.
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-15, 02:42   Link #7
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

As far as I can remember... I've watched Pinky and the Brain, some TMNT, DuckTales, Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers, a little bit of Inspector Gadget, TinyToons, and an unholy amount of Tom and Jerry (possibly every classic episode released). I didn't really watch with that much commitment, since I actually had school every other Saturday.

I was instantly turned off of Pokemon when I first saw the English version. Before that, the Chinese dubs were actually bearable for some reason. The fact that it was the first season probably helped.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-15, 03:30   Link #8
Alchemist007
*Author

Digimon, Pokemon, Dragonball (6 am on UPN!), bunch of other stuff. Those were the days...
I even saw Yu gi oh after a while (I kinda disliked it at first, called it a poke-digi rip off). Then I learned to like it and saw it through to the Pegasus arc then skipped a bunch and came to the final fight with white hair guy and then permanently stopped.
Old 2009-03-15, 03:34   Link #9
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Does anybody around here remembers Kometto-San?

It was a show that mixed real actors with animated ones. Getting up at 6:00 am during the weekends to see it was almost mandatory for my sister and I.

An incredibly popular show here in Mexico back in those days!
Old 2009-03-15, 05:41   Link #10
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Wow... so the OP missed Animaniacs, Pinky&theBrain, Freakazoid, Tinytoons?

Hell, my *officemates* and I watched those
I can barely remember Tiny Toons, I was like really little when that show was airing here in my country but I did go through Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain and Freakazoid heck those shows taught me English

Saturday morning wasn't always fun though, on Saturday you had the studio show which I always thought of as evil since they interrupted the cartoons with interviews with guys I didn't even know (didn't watch any typical Dutch show lol ). So on Saturday I tended to switch to the german channel RTL where they aired Gargoyles and after that power rangers. Sunday was the WB day with Pinky and the Brain etc. then Superman, Batman followed by shows from Mainframe which I always thought were ace: Reboot etc. I remember I could never watch the end of an episode though because at 11 I had to literally run to church to serve the pastor and then run back to continue with the cartoons. Saturday afternoon was a time for cartoons though, Beast Wars followed by Gargoyles and Animaniacs
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-15, 06:05   Link #11
Jill Valentine

I used to watch tiny toons,Yu gi oh,witch,winx, basilisk,akachan to boku, gummie bears, chip & dale and tom and jerry but now they stoped putting cartoons and instead news

Last edited by Jill Valentine; 2009-03-18 at 06:19.
Jill Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-15, 07:34   Link #12
GreenLama
Banned

A lot of people would agree that satAM cartoons are dead now and have been since the early 90's when NBC, CBS and ABC stopped airing cartoons on saturday mornings, but I totally disagree. Cartoon Network and CW4Kids still have cartoons and some of which are actually pretty darn good, and while the golden age of satAM cartoons is gone, the silver age is definatly here and has been since major networks killed them and we have had to rely on cable and whatnot, but there are still good cartoons to be watched on saturday mornings and I always encourage people to give them a shot.
Old 2009-03-15, 10:08   Link #13
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

used to watch SMTV and Live and Kicking. i was 11/13 at the time.

i loved SMTv when ant and dec were there with cat deeley. that was fun to watch. oh! Wonky Donky......that was so much fun...lol

also watched pinky and the brain as well Tazmania. during weekdays i used to watch Captain Caveman. also wacky recers.

that brings back so many memories. i didn't have sky or cable so only had trrestrial channels.

loved Pokemon and Power rangers. i still do watch those. if i see them on i watch it. but none of those are what they used to be.

Last edited by kayote; 2009-03-15 at 16:56.
kayote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-15, 13:31   Link #14
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
silver age, IMO this age of cartoons hardly deserves a medal. Here in my country all shows are nowadays the same kind of crap with just a little plot change. Some hippy family, some wizard family... some school situation cartoon where the kids have way too much imagination (toddlers being cannibals >.< ooh please ) and another about kids who solve mysteries as an FBI/detective agency. Here the only crap that is aired is the no violence stuff, the only 2 things I can name that have some action in it and of which one is no longer airing are Avatar and Winx, and I've never liked Winx uugh..

Only like 6 months ago have they started with Kim Possible, at leased something nice to replace Avatar with. But other than that you get the same crap all over again with reruns because for some reason all TV stations decided to ban out anything that even has the slightest bit of possible violence, heck they even stopped airing TMNT and never said why (they were at season 2 at the time).

Not only is this country dubbing everything they can find to Dutch (in my days kids knew what subtitles were and could actually read them), they also air the most mind numbing crap they can possibly find. If TV networks here want to be what they were they should start airing shows that are worth it instead of feeding children crap like The Tofu's.
Can you imagine Hanna Montana in Dutch, the girl stopped talking like 5 seconds ago and the VA is still babbling on to get her sentence finished.. or its the other way around where she is still talking and after 2 seconds we finally hear the translated word >.< yes A word, not a sentence one single word

In the Netherlands cartoons died ages ago
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-15, 16:07   Link #15
solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLama View Post
A lot of people would agree that satAM cartoons are dead now and have been since the early 90's when NBC, CBS and ABC stopped airing cartoons on saturday mornings, but I totally disagree. Cartoon Network and CW4Kids still have cartoons and some of which are actually pretty darn good, and while the golden age of satAM cartoons is gone, the silver age is definatly here and has been since major networks killed them and we have had to rely on cable and whatnot, but there are still good cartoons to be watched on saturday mornings and I always encourage people to give them a shot.
Actually saturday morning died at the end of the 90s, when cable toons out rated broadcast toons.

Wiether new cartoons are better now or not is subjective. I give a rousing NO to that, cause budgets are lower, less innovative ideas are being bought and developed plus, as a 21 year old it gets harder and harder to aquaint myself with the consistently low standards of american television animation these days.

In fact the only reason kids anime seemed (and still does kinda) so cool is cause it had ass loads of violence (more than we were used to) plus actual story

Last edited by solomon; 2009-03-15 at 20:52.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-15, 20:41   Link #16
kguthrie

I used to love the cartoon about the WWF wrestlers. but I can't remember tthe name.
kguthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-15, 21:20   Link #17
endless2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguthrie View Post
I used to love the cartoon about the WWF wrestlers. but I can't remember tthe name.
Rock N'Roll wrestling. It doesn't hold up well when you view it as an adult lol.

Two saturday morning cartoons that I loved were Men In Black: The Series, and Histeria!. I recently finished watching season 1 of MIB and It holds up quiet well. The Alpha episode is specially good. Histeria is more hit or miss. Some stuff like the Billy The Kid episode and "Great Women in Group Therapy" is pretty awesome, but most sketches aren't as funny today.
endless2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-15, 23:14   Link #18
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
I, too, uswed to enjoy cartoons in the 90's especially animated series based off movies like Timon and Pumbaa although I enjoyed Sailor Moon back when it was on Fox at 6pm. I had watched a lot of cartoons but nowadays it is like I cannot see anything even remotely interesting except for a few shows.
Old 2009-03-15, 23:16   Link #19
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I was never a big Nicktoons fan, but I always got up on Saturday mornings to watch my favorite shows like X-Men and Spiderman. Captain Planet was big on my list too, even though I look back and wondered why I liked that show... maybe because of the environmentalist message, I dunno. There were lots of other ones, too, but to list them would take too long.

I was definitely a huge fan of Saturday morning cartoons. My parents might not have been able to wake me up during the week, but by God even if I had gotten no sleep the night before (an unlikely event), I would be up at 7:00 am sharp to catch my favorite shows.
Old 2009-03-15, 23:39   Link #20
Rawgers
Nyaa~

I remember waking up on saturdays at 6/7ish just to watch shows such as Rugrats, Ren And Stimpy, Rocko, etc. Later on, I started to watch shows like Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, and some of the other junk they played on that channel.

Now....
Saturday mornings, wake up late and watch Spongebob! (If it is on TV at the moment)
Rawgers is offline   Reply With Quote