AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2011-10-27, 03:04   Link #1
DreGon45
Rouge Encoder

Asus G74SX-A1??

Ok, so I was promised by my grandfather that he's going to be getting me a new laptop to replace the old one that I have(Dell Latitude D610) with this(Asus G74SX-A1 Scroll down a little for the specs).
Does anyone have this specif product or know someone who does. How does it run? What's it like? Is it sexy ?
I read the specs, and I am impressed, but I want to hear from someone who uses it, what it's like.
DreGon45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-29, 11:27   Link #2
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

The specs make it seem this laptop is more like a portable workstation with builtin display. Depending on the games you intend to play it may be overkill (the 12 GB RAM most probably is).

But then again if you're not the one paying for it... why not?

Just a note though: when searching for some reviews I noticed this laptop is almost $200 cheaper on Amazon ($1619 vs $1799 on Frys.com).
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-29, 20:01   Link #3
DreGon45
Rouge Encoder

What do you mean by over kill??
I'm going to play Diablo 3(when ever it f'n comes out) and TF2. After that, mainly for encoding/rendering HD(both 720 and 1080) videos for some new ideas that I got for some trailers I want to put together with various anime clips.
Old 2011-10-29, 23:06   Link #4
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreGon45 View Post
What do you mean by over kill??
I'm going to play Diablo 3(when ever it f'n comes out) and TF2. After that, mainly for encoding/rendering HD(both 720 and 1080) videos for some new ideas that I got for some trailers I want to put together with various anime clips.
When we say overkill, based on Fry's blurb, this rig packs a lot more punch than the average lappy, and therefore you can do anything with it... in other words, your grandpa is going to give you the keys to a Nissan GTR.

Damn, you're one lucky man. Congrats!
Old 2011-10-30, 00:45   Link #5
DreGon45
Rouge Encoder

Well yea, I've been doing manual labor for him for the past 2 months unpaid, so this is kind of a late birthday/early christmas present, plus over due payment. Or so he says. Either way, from what it sounds like, I'm getting good shtuff.
So basically, I have a desktop in my lap????
Everything the light touches
Old 2011-10-30, 00:59   Link #6
iceyfw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreGon45 View Post
So basically, I have a desktop in my lap????
Everything the light touches
hmm yes and no. your laptop will have the power to play games on ultra to max settings with good frames per second for the next few years. and i'm sure you know what the downside is to owning a laptop compared to owning a very powerful desktop computer for the same price your grandfather is paying.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-30, 01:01   Link #7
DreGon45
Rouge Encoder

No good sir, I'm quite ignorant of these things. Would you be patient enough to explain?
Old 2011-10-30, 01:09   Link #8
iceyfw

no capabilities (pain in the ass) to switch out hardware besides the HDD and ram for future upgrades, not much leeway to get a good or huge overclock on your CPU and GPU in case of need, and can't add more internal HDDs as much as one desires for storage (using externals is fine in this case for most people). just the basic cons for a person who is wanting to do some encoding and gaming.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-30, 01:12   Link #9
DreGon45
Rouge Encoder

Ah, well yea I knew most of that already. I had every intention of building my own desktop(so to speak) for everything I need and want. The laptop is just temporary really because I'm always on the go. Plus, since it's as powerful as it is(at least right now), that'll hold me over for the next year and a half 'till I get my own place.

Tags
laptop, shtuff, specs