AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Guilty Crown

Notices

View Poll Results: Guilty Crown - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 11 13.92%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 19 24.05%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 20.25%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 15.19%
6 out of 10 : Average 10 12.66%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 3.80%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 3.80%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 2.53%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 3.80%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-12-16, 02:06   Link #61
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
I can't believe it took until the third page for somebody to mention PTSD. Shu got mindfucked by the visions Jun gave him last episode and he killed the kid whom he promised to protect, of course he would suffer a breakdown.
Yeah, Shu's breakdowns didn't really bother me for exactly this reason. Nor did what he accidentally said to Inori, precisely because it was accidental and tied to his PTSD, I think.

It was only his treatment of Hare that bothered me a bit, but like you hinted at, I hope this is a case of his character "bottoming out", to hopefully set up a comeback of sorts. Like you said, he has nowhere to go but up at this point.
Old 2011-12-16, 02:59   Link #62
bigdeath

Didn't that girl call herself Shu's big sister in his vision?
Old 2011-12-16, 03:05   Link #63
Iby
minority spirit(?)
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Iby
11 episode will be the last in this year, so I think that they'll end the first part (and the first ark) there.
Old 2011-12-16, 03:47   Link #64
Chase

Coward with powers at it again. I won't even say anything other than that at this point when it comes to him about....well you know. I felt bad for Hare at the same time figured Inori had real feelings for coward with powers way back. Also Segai was cool once again, needs more screen time.lol. The ending was crazy.......good. Made the episode worth it. Talk about a cliffhanger.
Battlefield 4
Old 2011-12-16, 05:02   Link #65
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Spoiler for space:

Decent episode but with the typical anime tropes as well. Shuu has his PTSD but will get an epiphany therapy and come back stronger. Also, pointing a gun at someone is generally not a good way of dealing with anyone but that's anime therapy for ya. But you can also see they're totally not willing to go in more interesting directions. What would've happened if a soldier had died in that aborted operation Shuu ran out of, for example?
Old 2011-12-16, 05:44   Link #66
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

a load of in this episode for me. Heck its like this for most episodes.

Spoiler for 10:
Old 2011-12-16, 06:08   Link #67
NoOneKnowS
Who am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
Shu is not saying a thing. It's his problem or are you saying that the funeral parlor should spoil him up? I get your point but I find it more realistic that they don't understand what's happening to him. They knew Jun died and he ended up killing him but they don't know what his seeing because HE DOESN'T SAID A THING. Opening up to others could really help Shu a lot but alas I saw this type a lot. They always store it all inside their hearts thus making them fragile and easy to be hurt.
FP members had been portrayed to have a strong camaraderie. Trust and etc., I would assume a simple someone of one of theirs who's in turmoil would have them all worried even by a little bit. Add in the fact that Shu is one of their main players when it comes to important missions. We never really had a history EP of FP but I would assume since Shu w/ his void powers got in, was the time FP finally a victory/made a name/stamp whatever you may called it against A-B. I'd agree on Shu's main weakness (hey, the boy can fight/knows how to) but It really makes sense on this show's title. I suspect Shu always regretting something or regretting everything (his sacrifices) by the end. Totally opposite of Gai would doesn't care whatever happens as long as he gets what he wants.
Old 2011-12-16, 06:32   Link #68
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Episode 10:

- Free sig. Rendered by Production IG. Its even AS-safe:

- The director decided that physics-defying only occurring in action sequences is not enough. And thats how Arisa's granddad's moustache became the way it is.

- "Calls or texts or something...can we..." This episode Shu is pretty much on the level of those skirt-chasers at the beach in typical romance anime that hit on the harem leads love interest. I pity the fool. I really do.

- The Daryl seeing his Dad in the elevator scene reminds me of pretty much every episode ever of Grey's Anatomy. Couldn't stop laughing.

- Guess Gai resents Shu just as much as Shu is jealous of Gai. Both Inoris seemingly "chose" Shu over him.

- http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-5959.html
Looks like Yozora is not the only one with an air friend.

- Still one of the better episodes of Guilty Crown. Not quite as good as the last episode, though what happened near the end was very exciting. I'm not finding nearly as much things to make stupid jokes at, so this show is obviously heading in the right direction. Can't wait for next week.

- Judging from the preview, looks like we'll finally see Hare's void. Since Hare is someone Shu actually considers a friend, it should be something relatively powerful.

- You know you want the sig.
       /
      / \|
    /
Old 2011-12-16, 06:35   Link #69
Aqua Knight

Spoiler for 11 preview:
Old 2011-12-16, 06:43   Link #70
abc0716

Not really sure how to comment about this episode, all I know is, I have more negative feeling against it than positive.

The producers want to make audiences feels shocked after watching this episode, like a certain part of Meguca, School Days, or some series that has similar plot twists, but those are totally futile for me.

The only good thing on this episode, is the plot start to become more serious and tense (not really, maybe), instead of some random battle + new Void scenes.

Giving it a borderline 6/10 on the rating of the episode.

Last edited by abc0716; 2011-12-16 at 06:53.
Old 2011-12-16, 07:14   Link #71
Aqua Knight

School Days??????
I can see a vague resemblance with Code Geass and that's all.
Old 2011-12-16, 07:33   Link #72
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by winhlp32 View Post
Episode 10:
- Judging from the preview, looks like we'll finally see Hare's void. Since Hare is someone Shu actually considers a friend, it should be something relatively powerful.
I wonder if the wings in the next episode preview is Hare's void. I'm also waiting to see Hare's void because among all the characters so far. She is far the most closes to Shu for me. And Gai will be kicking the bucket soon. I see lots of death flags for this guy but his still alive.
Old 2011-12-16, 08:31   Link #73
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

So one of your men, one that, mind you, had never receive any training regarding conquering his fear or accustoming himself to death, got shell-shocked...and to snap him out of his miserable state you point a gun at him? Never mind that PTSD can take its toll on even the most experienced of soldiers?

Brilliant, Gai. Abso-frakin'-lutely brilliant. Constantly go demand this and that and never try to build his confidence - that worked well for Gunnery Sergeant Hartman.

I guess he never heard the saying "Few men are born brave; many become so through training and force of discipline." You can't just give small pep-talks and expect previously-civilians to suddenly become your loyal soldier, you forge them that way.

But in the end, none of that matters is it? This is anime. Therapists do not exist here. In the end Shu will somehow regain his confidence, and then he will be the one saying sorry, and everybody will return to praising Gai's as a great leader, nevermind that he fails at the basics. All hail the enlightened messiah. Yay.

Last edited by Tiresias; 2011-12-16 at 09:07. Reason: forgot something
Old 2011-12-16, 08:54   Link #74
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post

So one of your men, one that, mind you, had never receive any training regarding conquering his fear or accustoming himself to death...and to snap him out of his miserable state you point a gun at him? Never mind that PTSD can take its toll on even the most experienced of soldiers?

Brilliant, Gai. Abso-frakin'-lutely brilliant. Constantly go demand this and that and never try to build his confidence - that worked well for Gunnery Sergeant Hartman.

I guess he never heard the saying "Few men are born brave; many become so through training and force of discipline." You can't just give small pep-talks and expect previously-civilians to suddenly become your loyal soldier, you forge them that way.

But in the end, none of that matters is it? This is anime. Therapists do not exist here. In the end Shu will somehow regain his confidence, and then he will be the one saying sorry, and everybody will return to praising Gai's as a great leader, nevermind that he fails at the basics. All hail the enlightened messiah. Yay.
Well, Gai's an asshole... And the world is a crapsack one. For Shu, everything turned up-side-down the moment he met Inori and Gai... It's their fault, I can only see demise waiting for Shu.

The only way for him to survive: Accept everything that happened and just do what has to be done. Remove everything that causes him pain and chaos if he wants his old life back, whether it be FP or GHQ.
Old 2011-12-16, 09:13   Link #75
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdeath View Post
Didn't that girl call herself Shu's big sister in his vision?
Well not like it's too uncommon in anime to find a guy who calls an older girl 'big sister.' Doesn't necessarily imply being related, just that she was a bit older than him. Does give some insights though into the type of relationship going on back then.
Old 2011-12-16, 09:58   Link #76
miketyson

Gai before this episode: kinda jerky, but he's a good leader and very good planner, and is able to figure out how to manipulate Shu into doing his bidding.

Gai this episode: all of a sudden, entirely incompetent at managing Shu.

So aside from whether you find Shu and/or Gai/FP annoying, it's a weirdly inconsistent shift in how Gai/FP is portrayed, and it doesn't seem like the writers realized this.
Old 2011-12-16, 10:37   Link #77
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

^Exactly. The biggest problem isn't that Gai is an asshole, it's that the characters in this show are horribly, horribly written. The previous episode reignited my hopes in this series, and this one crushed them again.

Shu's breakdown has been handled in quite possibly the worst way possible. They just had him totally freak out and turn not only into an even bigger pussy than he was at the beginning of the series, but also into a jerk who thinks only with his dick (notice how he only reacted to "Inori will move out your house" and I don't need to point out what he later did to Hare). Only thing I'm happy about is that Hare will apparently be the one who will help him get out of this dark phase.

I'm also peeved they didn't even show what happened after Shu told Yahiro he killed his brother. Why would you completely omit this and write Yahiro out of the story with no explanation? I thought the first few minutes of the episode were missing at first.

And of course, nobody noticed there was something wrong with Shu before they started their big operation even though it was written all over his face (and it's not like that guy can act). Right.
Old 2011-12-16, 10:55   Link #78
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
And of course, nobody noticed there was something wrong with Shu before they started their big operation even though it was written all over his face (and it's not like that guy can act). Right.
Gai should notice the difference because he has the same eyes as Jun who can see the void or the heart of the person. So lying is not going to help you. Gai can even tell what's the real personality of a person. Just like with Katherine the sandscrew but in this episode the writer completely neglect that and turn Gai into being a heartless person but maybe he also notice it because he is in his usual chamber and in pain or maybe it's just that the blood donation to him is not helping anymore . I wish the writer of the last episode do this episode too. But I don't have complaints in the plot or the direction of the story and my only complain is how they handled Shu. They being deliberately showing how bad their main character is .
Old 2011-12-16, 11:12   Link #79
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
^Exactly. The biggest problem isn't that Gai is an asshole, it's that the characters in this show are horribly, horribly written. The previous episode reignited my hopes in this series, and this one crushed them again.
I disagree with you and miketyson.

I think that it's important to keep in mind that Gai doesn't have all the time in the world here. With some operations, he's working within a very small window of opportunity. In fact, the Episode 8 operation failed precisely because they weren't fast enough, which logically is something that should be playing on Gai's mind (i.e. not getting outmaneuvered again like that).

It makes sense that Undertaker doesn't have the time to provide proper psychological therapy for Shu or to carefully prep him for every mission.

It also makes sense to me that Undertaker would expect Shu to be generally reliable in key missions, because Shu's track record was actually pretty good there prior to this episode, as demonstrated by Episodes 2, 4, 6, and 7. Shu was consistently getting the job done with his void power when its been counted on by Gai.

On the flip side, though, Shu has been hard for Undertaker to handle personality-wise, and I can understand Gai and Ayase losing patience with him in this regard.

Gai threatening Shu with a gun is very harsh and not exactly admirable, but this is Gai's "meal ticket" here pretty much. Undertaker is much weaker off without Shu and his void power than they are with him. One can reasonably argue that Gai and Ayase should have tried to sweet-talk Shu and/or comfort him back into supporting them, but then as I wrote before, time is of the essence. Also, I find it good that the key terrorist/freedom fighter leaders aren't soft and cuddly teddy bears. They should be rougher, harder people in some respects, imo. When you see and do the things that they've seen and done it probably should numb you a bit, and make you more cold and prickly.

So I have to disagree with your statement that these characters have been horribly written. I personally think that Gai, Ayase, and especially Hare, have all been well-written. I also love Segai as a charismatic and unpredictable villain.

Shu obviously has a long ways to go but I'm pretty confident he will improve considerably before it's all said and done.
Old 2011-12-16, 11:20   Link #80
Arya

Well, Shu hitting bottom didn't bother me. I mean, his reaction is more human than many other MC. In any case Shinji didn't bother me, nor GSD Kira, even if something in between would be preferable

But the Hare scene, even If it didn't surprise me, got on my nerves, but this is how the writers decided to show us his hitting bottom. When Inori left that was his point of no return, beyond that he even lost any will to safe himself. So he became destructive. This is how I explain that mean move on Hare. He couldn't do anything lower than hurting Inori and Hare in the same episode. Ok, yes, he could hurt Ayase, but no way.

So, we have to wait the turning point that looks to be not so far.

And Gai and Ayase actions/reactions didn't bother neither. I mean, maybe a bit overdone, but in the end FP is not a dressmaking club. They need trust oven any other things. So if they can't trust him, even if he is the main weapon, it is better to leave him behind sooner than later, where later could mean during an operation. He did mess up once already. Surely this cold behavior lacks of friendships or uderstandings feeling, but Gai didn't have any to begin with and Ayase, like Inori, is faithful to the cause more than anything. Sure more than a brat.
Closed Thread