Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-12-14, 15:25   Link #18261
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I was assuming She-Hulk was going out via a hole she made instead of going in. A post-battle check.

But considering her greenness is radiation induced...checking might be a regular thing for her. And she's got a bit of area to check.
Wait, are you replying to the post in the Silly/Odd News Stories from around the World thread?

Wrong tab
Old 2011-12-14, 15:27   Link #18262
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Hmmm, must have had two open.
Old 2011-12-14, 17:01   Link #18263
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Woman killed in freak New York lift crush

A woman died in a New York City office building after lift doors dragged her upwards and crushed her.

Officials say the woman, identified as advertising agency employee Suzanne Hart, was attempting to enter the lift when her foot or leg became caught.

The car then quickly rose, dragging her body into the shaft and killing her.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-16190411

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...sEnabled=false

Leave it to the British to call it "lift", rather than "elevator". That had me confused thinking: forklift.

But anyways, just when you think elevators are routine and safe. Things like this could happen. Then again, freak stuff have happened with escalators. Accidents are accidents, after all.

And now I wonder: how well was this elevator maintained? 'cause an accident like this is extremely rare.
Old 2011-12-14, 17:12   Link #18264
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post

And now I wonder: how well was this elevator maintained? 'cause an accident like this is extremely rare.
somebody cut corners to save a few bucks.
Old 2011-12-14, 18:24   Link #18265
justsomeguy

There's been 56 violations before 2009, so the elevator obviously had a poor maintenance history.

Accidents may be rare, but I can recall various news reports of decapitations, doors opening before the cars arrive and people falling down the shaft, and an escalator accident in the subway with a lady losing a leg.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
Old 2011-12-14, 18:31   Link #18266
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
There's been 56 violations before 2009, so the elevator obviously had a poor maintenance history.

Accidents may be rare, but I can recall various news reports of decapitations, doors opening before the cars arrive and people falling down the shaft, and an escalator accident in the subway with a lady losing a leg.
sounds like a plot for a grade B hollywood movie
Old 2011-12-14, 18:35   Link #18267
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Reality is stranger than fiction. Fotunately things like that are rare, where in a hollywood film they would happen every other scene.
Old 2011-12-15, 02:07   Link #18268
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
Barely Half of U.S. Adults Are Married – A Record Low

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2011/...-a-record-low/

see it not just Japan that prefer single

daayum!

USA's got Japan-style bubble+recession and now this???

..... the final nail in the coffin would be when US also contracts Japan's 'herbivore men' behavior and outlook in life
Old 2011-12-15, 02:14   Link #18269
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
Barely Half of U.S. Adults Are Married – A Record Low

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2011/...-a-record-low/

see it not just Japan that prefer single
People are just waking up to the truth
Old 2011-12-15, 02:18   Link #18270
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
daayum!

..... the final nail in the coffin would be when US also contracts Japan's 'herbivore men' behavior and outlook in life
The difference is that Americans are *living together*, they just aren't bothering with the legal papers. The main reason I know for people getting married in the US anymore is:
1) just makes the legal issues with children and legal agentry for spouses easier.
2) family pressure
3) they are actually religious and the church ceremony outweighs the secular licensing matter.
If none of the above are issues, then there's little reason for either the civil instrument or the religious ceremony.

This is completely unrelated to the Japan phenomenon, being driven by completely different forces. Solomon describes the Japanese phenomenon a few posts below this one.

Last edited by Vexx; 2011-12-15 at 04:18.
Old 2011-12-15, 02:20   Link #18271
Xion Valkyrie

Tax benefits are one of the major reasons to get married.
Old 2011-12-15, 02:56   Link #18272
solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
daayum!

No offense, but I think pigs will fly before we see large scale herbrivorism in US as it is now. Especially amongst African american or Latino groups.
Old 2011-12-15, 03:08   Link #18273
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

We like our burgers and have kept a BBQ tradition around 4th of July for many decades now. Plus sporting events seems to have a BBQ tradition now a days.

Plus that would cripple the cattle industry...think of all the bulls and cows that would need to be needlessly slaughtered if we went completely herbivore. Their population would need to be heavily cut to make room for human food stuffs (land to grow food as well as shift the areas growing food for cows to feed people) since their primary purpose is meat on the table. And milk, but to keep getting milk you must keep breeding cows, thus keeping the need to reduce their population before they completely take over a area and deplete the feed supply. Thus their young become dinner to keep their poplulation down so we can have milk (and steak...and burgers).
Old 2011-12-15, 03:14   Link #18274
solomon

.....errrr yea.
Old 2011-12-15, 03:14   Link #18275
Zakoo

Though I might be wrong, I think herbivore men was using in the sense of men who restraint themselves of 'eating women" ... The anime sense.

Or my mind is too corrupted.
Old 2011-12-15, 03:16   Link #18276
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

If that is the case, I've never heard it used that way.

(it seems sort of odd to me, since my thinking would be the opposite, as those around me would call "eating women" a herbivore-like thing...based on the older 70s terminology for such a practice. Less common once shaving became more common I suppose)

Last edited by Ithekro; 2011-12-15 at 03:28.
Old 2011-12-15, 03:36   Link #18277
solomon

Herbivore guys are seen as dudes disinterested in pursuing ladies, carnivorus ladies are more aggresive in pursuing guys....in a nutshell.

Here's some decent articles on the "grass eaters".

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/as...herbivore.men/

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=120696816

Here's one that has some info on the "meat eating" women.

http://jccabulletin-geppo.ca/crosscu...ororous-women/

To some westerners even open minded ones, this seems very.....odd. But Japan has very distinct culture dynamics and pressures leading to this that probably are only brushed upon in the articles. Keeping it short; don't judge.

Now from what I see, it's a sort of rebelliion from conforming to the ideals of manhood that the japanese rely on. Part of it (I think) rejecting certain traits they don't like in their elders or certain cultural expectations. it can be a form of individual expression or interests that society would mock because it's not traditionally "manly" but more widespread than people think. (as you know in japan it's all about social standing and saving face, but sometimes even Japanese can tell you the pressure to conform is MADDENING).

I also think part of it is a loss of a sense of place in the post bubble Japan where women are creating (gradually) new roles for themselves. Ala the carnivores but even more generally women being more interested in workplace then merely being mothers.

Some of what I said applies to the carnivores just switch new ladies throwing away or moving away from the trends and norms of the old.

Frankly it's just easier to say that they're getting in line with attitudes we've taken for granted in the West from the 60s-70s but you know.

My own subjective Western-biased opinion.

I say generally it's ok. Lack of sex interest aside it's not a big deal if you're not macho. I see that as dudes rejecting some of the untenable pressures Japan society makes and hypes and get intune with yourself more. Likewise with ladies, do what you need to do!

From western standpoint, I don't see the same elements leading towards a full on "180" in manliness like the herbrivores do. Society is more lienient and open as far as conforming to certain ideals on average at least here in North America. You can still be a more passive type guy and not be as criticized as some in Japan see herbrivores. And like I said, the carnivorous thing is whatever to us. We've been there since the 60s.

I'm having trouble saying why I don't think it's anything the West be worried about though, aside from saying we just have more room to breathe here and have had for a while so there is no need for (what some would say is) an extreme reaction to extreme circumstances.
Old 2011-12-15, 04:21   Link #18278
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
If that is the case, I've never heard it used that way.

(it seems sort of odd to me, since my thinking would be the opposite, as those around me would call "eating women" a herbivore-like thing...based on the older 70s terminology for such a practice. Less common once shaving became more common I suppose)
Whoa.. heh! No, you're on a completely wrong track there

Google 'herbivore men' and 'Japan' .... (edit: oh or read Solomon's post). It just has to do with men in Japan opting for a non-macho attitude, sometimes so much so they stop chasing women. Sometimes its hard not to call it a "wussy response to feminism" as women seek to take a more self-reliant place in the society.
Old 2011-12-15, 04:24   Link #18279
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Leave it to the British to call it "lift", rather than "elevator". That had me confused thinking: forklift.
Those are fighting words for someone seething with indignation over the creeping Americanisation of English. It wouldn't be so much a problem if it's merely a case of people gradually changing the way they use the language. It's a huge problem to me, however, when people blindly adopt speech and language mannerisms that they think is cool, without knowing — let alone understanding — the context that gave rise to those quirks.

In short, as far as I'm concerned — and from where I am — it's a lift, not an elevator.

Meanwhile, on the topic of carnivore women, an androgynous male model turns heads in the Netherlands:

Male model fronts campaign for push-up bras
Old 2011-12-15, 04:42   Link #18280
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Leave it to the British to call it "lift", rather than "elevator". That had me confused thinking: forklift. :
Lol. It's our language. We can do whatever the hell we want with it.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international