AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

View Poll Results: Code Geass Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 17 28.33%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 18 30.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 21.67%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 8.33%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 10.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-11-07, 00:11   Link #21
ryaken

Send a message via MSN to ryaken
Lulu can't be compared to terrorists of any kind. He directly states that they shouldn't attack the Britanians, but Britania itself; war-style.

I liked this episode, it was a "on-the-toes" experience.
ryaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-07, 00:24   Link #22
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

Another ep that leaves me wanting more, again.
neodrag38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-07, 19:42   Link #23
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazekiri View Post
You're forgetting two things. One: He was already considered a hero by some of the Japanese and his recent accusation and aquittal in murdering Clovis helped make him into something of a celebrity (whether that's good or bad is another matter but people recognize him). Two:
Spoiler:
Spoiler for reply:
Old 2006-11-07, 20:55   Link #24
Darkman.exe213
Yurippe is mai waifu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvianWing View Post
Well, similar to GS & GSD, the characters reeks of incredibility. How does Lelouch figure out the extent of his ability only after a single test? (He hasn't narrowed anything down and jumped to conclusion immediately).
Is there anything about the geass that needs to be proven more than once? And the characters from Death Note are even more rediculous.

Quote:
How can an individual undermine an entire military structure so easily?
He controls everyone, gets them to turn off their security, and kills Clovis. How would he get caught without any guards or security stopping him?

Quote:
So far, Code Geass has targetted the audience from GS, and I don't see any deviation anytime near. To sum up the main characters, Suzaku is a naive idiot (many people have pointed this out before me) and Lelouch is a mastermind who needs a reality check (zero's costume pretty much epitomizes his absurdity).
Well, this is an anime series. It's bound to hit a cliche like that at some point. Besides, it's merely for dramatic effect. I mean, if he dressed up like a normal person, he wouldn't seem nearly as threatening.

Quote:
Episode four is rather decent, and it would be greater had it not for the pseudo-politics. I don't suppose Sunrise will ever withdraw from the unrealistic scenario now that it has become a fad and generate more dollars than any other trend it has ever created. Still, it is a great series if the politics aren't taken seriously or if people want a break from all that neural firing.
When was the last time any anime series had realistic politics?

Anyway, I thought episode 4 was pretty good. Lelouch's weird costume really didn't fit too well with the rest of the series, but like I said, it was merely for dramatic effect.
Darkman.exe213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-07, 22:29   Link #25
JediNight
キズランダム

Yeah, where does one come up with a freaky "Count Dracula" outfit with a mask that only opens a hole large enough for the one eye? ;p
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-07, 23:46   Link #26
AvianWing
lol whut?

Send a message via MSN to AvianWing
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkman.exe213
Is there anything about the geass that needs to be proven more than once? And the characters from Death Note are even more rediculous.
How about what kind of requests work? Lelouch basically said the same thing twice, then he concluded that it won't work on the same person twice. For all we know, it can work the second time if he said something differently as well. I won't argue with you about Death Note, seeing as how people easily categorize another as a fanboy/girl of another series when in fact that person is just raising an argument.

Quote:
He controls everyone, gets them to turn off their security, and kills Clovis. How would he get caught without any guards or security stopping him?
Again, another person who slights the organization of military. Well, why not? They exist in shows to be destroyed to demonstrate how uber a character is. First, the military leaks out information to the super hacker of some sort. Then, the uber dude somehow manages to infiltrate directly to the coordinator. Somehow, the military lacks the area control and feedback system in a state of emergency and the personnel never shoots until they can see the outsider's eyes (which just so happens that everyone is looking at Lelouch at the same time).

Well, you made a great point about how this is only an anime. I guess I looked too much into things... I do feel sorry for the adults, though, cause they are somehow over-ridden by the hormone-filled, emo-based teens running around with dangerous weapons in their hands. That sounded like a bash, didn't it? I guess I basically spelled my own doom. Criticism does not make a series bad; in fact, I had to be interested in this show in the first place to analyze it.
AvianWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-08, 11:32   Link #27
NeonZ

Quote:
How about what kind of requests work? Lelouch basically said the same thing twice, then he concluded that it won't work on the same person twice. For all we know, it can work the second time if he said something differently as well.
That did bother me too, though I was thinking more about a time limit(he should have tested his power after one or two days again) rather than a different command.

Quote:
First, the military leaks out information to the super hacker of some sort. Then, the uber dude somehow manages to infiltrate directly to the coordinator. Somehow, the military lacks the area control and feedback system in a state of emergency and the personnel never shoots until they can see the outsider's eyes (which just so happens that everyone is looking at Lelouch at the same time).
Eh.... if in real life, a bunch of thieves can run in and steal weapons from a military base, I don't see how it's so impossible for someone who can control anyone with a look pass through a few guards. You're the one overrating the military. Not every single military group is an example of coordination and efficiency.

While anime often shows completely unrealistic portrayal of military, especially regarding (lack of) battle movement and strategy, that scene wasn't really bad. We aren't shown everything about the infiltration, so I don't see how it's even possible to make a solid comment about it.
NeonZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-10, 01:51   Link #28
myopius

I'm not really following the conversation you guys are having too well. However, I don't think this show is too unrealistic. So he has a theatrical flare. You could almost infer that from his way of speaking. Who says you need to dress seriously when waging war against a invading nation/empire? If anything it brings more attention to him, which I'm sure he wants, because it'll be useful for him to be seen as a champion of Japan. I don't really know how motorcade or whatever security is laid out IRL, but I'm sure it's possible that the security as we saw it could exist. We don't know their protocols, and what approached the procession was certainly not in the field manual. Personally, I didn't see anything that crushed my sense of realism.

I agree that Suzaku is an idiot, though. Lulu should have just yelled back that if he hadn't saved him, Suzaku would have just died without being able to do anything. Perhaps say that throwing his life away trusting that the corrupt leadership will have a sudden change of heart while claiming that he will make a difference is irresponsible and childish. Well, I hope we see more substance to Suzaku later on.

Like neodrag38, I really can't wait for the next episode. I really want to see how Lulu's relationship with the terrorists develops. Also, right now Suzaku's brushing off of Zero is really pissing me off, so I hope in the next episode it's shown that he won't be someone who just holds everything up (and also I hope he doesn't squeal on his rescuer, not that he could say much).

Anyway, the suspense in this last episode really kept me on my toes. A whole lot like Death Note, as most people have already noticed. The difference is that I haven't read the Code Geass manga.
Old 2006-11-10, 03:13   Link #29
Retsoor

>> Lulu should have just yelled back that [...]

That's a tad unfair, if Suzaku wasn't who he is, Lelouch would have had a bullet in his head before he would have been able to do anything.
Retsoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-10, 03:31   Link #30
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

technically Lelouch did have 2 experiments before coming to the conclusion that the eye won't work twice on the same person. Karen and the teacher.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-10, 12:28   Link #31
myopius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retsoor View Post
>> Lulu should have just yelled back that [...]

That's a tad unfair, if Suzaku wasn't who he is, Lelouch would have had a bullet in his head before he would have been able to do anything.
I suppose you're right. What he'd done there wasn't probably going to have any effect overall, since he couldn't know that he was buying time that would be put to use by a sudden explosion. Still, I feel like that falls under a separate standard of judgment, since it seems like it was just his humane instincts which caused him to take the bullet before he knew anything else, and you can't fault such instincts.

Of course I'm very possibly misjudging Suzaku. We haven't seen much of his character revealed yet. Right now I feel like I would like him better if he had said, "Even though I must just die without having accomplished anything, I can't make changes the way you want to, Zero. You rightly call me an idiot, but I have to trust that I may find another way", but maybe what he did say will gain new meaning later on.

I get the feeling that both Suzaku and Lulu will made some progress, though with various setbacks, in each of their methods, over the course of the series, though nobody who's read the manga respond to that.
Old 2006-11-10, 13:09   Link #32
Retsoor

>> I feel like that falls under a separate standard of judgment

I wasn't really arguing that point though. I agree with you that Suzaku is an naive idiot, but that doesn't lessen his worth. I wouldn't like him as the lead but I think he makes an excellent foil to Lelouch, and as such I like his character. What I was responding to was that to me, you seemed to argue that he was either ingrateful or wrong in his decision.

Suzaku won't likely remain static throughout the series even if he doesn't yield his principles, so I as well am looking forward to what's to come.
Retsoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-10, 21:47   Link #33
myopius

I see... I'll keep that in mind.

I watched these 4 episodes over (yeah I officially became that into this series, at some point) and looked for details in what the different characters say to one another to help figure out what's going on.

(Nobody say if what I've summarized is incorrect if you've read the manga or watched further episodes...)

Spoiler for A large block of text. Beware.:

Yeah they went a bit fast, I am dumb so I don't pick up what's going on well, so it's good I reviewed this. I'll try to memorize names as I watch episode 5. Let's see, I know Karen, Lulu, Rival, Nina, Mallay or whatever that student's name is (I'd recognize it), "Sir Jeremiah", Suzaku, and I forget his sister's name, and the names of the people's Karen's with, and pretty much everyone else's name... wonderful.

Also, how do we know CC's name? Is this just one of those things which we all know because she's a main character? Edit: Never mind, that was in the Q&A topic.
Old 2006-11-10, 21:58   Link #34
Dark`
The Terror of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by myopius View Post
The woman whose Knightmare he stole, and the other pilot with blue hair who was controlled in episode 4, were part of the purist faction, unlike the governor and the general / military perhaps, and they took advantage of the fact that the governor was controlled (but they don't know about the girl, apparently) to arrest him or exile him or whatever they did, and start implementing purist policies, like making Suzaku take the fall for the governor's death, though I'm not sure why they chose him particularly.
Well, they specifically chose an 'Honoured Britannian' like Suzaku to frame for the death of the governor because as the 'Purist Faction', they want only Britannians as a part of Britannia. As such, this was a perfect opportunity to get rid of the Elevens that belonged to Britannia as part of the Honoured Britannian system. As for why Suzaku in particular... it might've been the fact that he was the only survivor from the group that went to find the poison gas container (it seems like all the others were killed by Lelouch), or most likely it was a plot device that allowed the writer to introduce Lulu's "Zero" persona.

Quote:
Also, how do we know CC's name? Is this just one of those things which we all know because she's a main character?
At this point, pretty much. Though I think her name gets dropped in episode 5 or 6...
Dark` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-10, 22:54   Link #35
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark` View Post
Well, they specifically chose an 'Honoured Britannian' like Suzaku to frame for the death of the governor because as the 'Purist Faction', they want only Britannians as a part of Britannia. As such, this was a perfect opportunity to get rid of the Elevens that belonged to Britannia as part of the Honoured Britannian system. As for why Suzaku in particular... it might've been the fact that he was the only survivor from the group that went to find the poison gas container (it seems like all the others were killed by Lelouch), or most likely it was a plot device that allowed the writer to introduce Lulu's "Zero" persona.

At this point, pretty much. Though I think her name gets dropped in episode 5 or 6...
Suzaku was also the son of japan's last prime minister. One of the main reasons why he chosen.
Old 2006-11-11, 00:23   Link #36
kazekiri

Quote:
Karen is going to school now, and probably for as long as the storyline needs her to since it's a plot device, because she can't return to the terrorist place until this cool down, or something like that.
Actually, Rival implied that she'd always been a student there, she just didn't show up much (hence the act she puts on of being weak). It makes a good cover for her but yeah, it's mostly a plot device to keep her around in the character episodes. The thing I'm trying to work out is her background. We know she's got two names and is half-Britannian, I'm sure that makes the family holidays tense.
Quote:
The man and woman who let Suzaku use that Knightmare, scientists of some sort it seems, don't seem to know what it is that was the "poison gas" really was... or maybe they do, there's a particular conversation that's unclear, though part of it was cleared up when I realized that Suzaku became the "devicer" they mentioned. Their interest seems just to be in developing the mecha technology.
I'm pretty certain there's more to Lloyd than just the 'eccentric engineer' act. He clearly knows Someone Important (he tells Cecile that he couldn't reach 'that person' before Suzaku went to trial) and I can't believe he's just interested in his impressive toy. If I'm proven wrong by the end of the series you can remind me that I said that and I'll happily eat my plate of crow (Pizza Hut crow to be sure).
kazekiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-12, 06:28   Link #37
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

The VA of lloyd was already in scryed.I don't remember exactly his role but it was very,very questionable.
His voice screams"listen to me I have an hidden agenda".So,yeah,it's obvious that Mr.weirdo isn't your standard ingeneer.
Old 2006-11-15, 21:40   Link #38
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Nice epi! I love Zero's outfit. I cant believe he rescues whats his name (really I forgot) and he ends up going back!! I was calling him a baka too! Plus CC is back! Gah I love this anime!
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-17, 00:27   Link #39
Pakxenon
popcorn

I have no idea how you all know C.C.'s name - it has not been mentioned yet. o_O

8/10 for keeping me on my toes. I expected too much Death Note out of this episode, and Suzaku's an idiot.
Pakxenon is offline   Reply With Quote