AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga > To Aru... Railgun [M/LN]

Notices

View Poll Results: Railgun Manga - Dream Ranker Arc Rating
Perfect 10 1 14.29%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 2 28.57%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 1 14.29%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 28.57%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 14.29%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-05-05, 07:23   Link #901
Sixth
Hu Tao

For me, the one with brain is the real one. The one without brain is a fake or a shadow.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-05, 08:52   Link #902
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

There is a problem with using soul in a science side arc.
Kuroageha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-05, 09:27   Link #903
LevelSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixth View Post
For me, the one with brain is the real one. The one without brain is a fake or a shadow.
as far as the panels went it seemed like the brain was halfed and each body got one part of it
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-05, 10:49   Link #904
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevelSeven View Post
as far as the panels went it seemed like the brain was halfed and each body got one part of it
As long the brain intact, everything is fine. Simple.

Of course they are not going into the boundaries of Heartless and Nobody.
Old 2016-05-05, 14:38   Link #905
Wandering Soul

It seems pretty weird for a science side organization to be researching something like a soul.
Old 2016-05-05, 15:44   Link #906
allfictions
Of Infinite Resignation

Academy City's interest in the occult is not actually that surprising. Remember, Kihara Kagun did research and experiments on near death experiences, and apparently District 12 is focused on theology, philosophy, and the occult (although it is deliberately made to never evoke the Magic Side). And I can't say Agitate Halation and its use of "heroes" was very scientific either.

I don't expect anything grandiose or revealing on the metaphysics of souls in the To Aru universe or reflections on the mind-body problem, but it looks like it will be an interesting arc nonetheless.
This is nine! Nine! This is nine! Nine! This is ten! Ten! We have killed your friends! Every friend is now dead! This is six! Six! ... Eighteen! This is now eighteen! Take cover when the siren sounds! This is four! Four! ... Five! This is five! Ignore the siren! Even if you leave this room, you can never leave this room! Eight! This is eight! ... Six, this is six. This is goddamn fucking six!
allfictions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-05, 19:46   Link #907
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
It seems pretty weird for a science side organization to be researching something like a soul.
Not that weird. Those evil scientists have god complex. Playing god is totally in their blood. They even have those artificial angels in development.
Old 2016-05-06, 03:42   Link #908
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Lol. It currently feels too awkward for me to read Railgun. Maybe it'll be okay a few novels from now... Meh, I'm sure I'll still give in and read it soon enough anyway...

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-06, 08:52   Link #909
SilverTalon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
Lol. It currently feels too awkward for me to read Railgun. Maybe it'll be okay a few novels from now... Meh, I'm sure I'll still give in and read it soon enough anyway...
Wait, but the despair she felt after grabbing Misaki's breasts is perfectly in line with the despair she felt in the novel. Totally the same thing.

Seriously though, I get your point, but Mikoto's envy of Misaki's breasts is really amusing to watch so I can't wait for more.
SilverTalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-06, 09:13   Link #910
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Wait, so the girl purposely cut and cybernize herself into two bodies in order to see a soul exists?
Old 2016-05-06, 09:22   Link #911
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

More like she cut herself into two to see if she'd get another soul from piecing herself back into two bodies.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-06, 16:25   Link #912
SibylEnd
Fighting Dreamer

This reminds me of the Angel fall arc; where the serial killer with disassociate identity disorder had his personalities switched(novel version). with this new concept introduced wouldn't that imply that the serial killer had two souls? and that our new villain Kuriba Ryouko has developed split personality disorder as a result of this experiment?

similarly during the Misaka level-6 shift Gensei mentioned that Misakas Personality would change. that is to say that personality and souls are not unequivocal, if that's not the case then during angel fall did people switch personalities while keeping their souls?
or maybe volume 4 was just dumb.
SibylEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-08, 00:51   Link #913
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SibylEnd View Post
This reminds me of the Angel fall arc; where the serial killer with disassociate identity disorder had his personalities switched(novel version). with this new concept introduced wouldn't that imply that the serial killer had two souls? and that our new villain Kuriba Ryouko has developed split personality disorder as a result of this experiment?

similarly during the Misaka level-6 shift Gensei mentioned that Misakas Personality would change. that is to say that personality and souls are not unequivocal, if that's not the case then during angel fall did people switch personalities while keeping their souls?
or maybe volume 4 was just dumb.
Wait what? Please remind me when Gensei said that. I'd be very grateful lol. I've just been way too excited about Misaka development lately, lol.

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-08, 00:55   Link #914
Sixth
Hu Tao

I think those scientists should just hire a magician from other side if they want to learn more about souls.

Actually, are majority of those evil scientists from AC aware of the existence of magician?
Old 2016-05-08, 01:37   Link #915
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
I think those scientists should just hire a magician from other side if they want to learn more about souls.
They can't. See Magic-Science Treaty.
If they want to learn about souls, then they have to do it 100% science way.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2016-05-08, 02:53   Link #916
LevelSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixth View Post
magicians also have no idea what souls are despite them using it for mana production :/
Quote:
Actually, are majority of those evil scientists from AC aware of the existence of magician?
nope, except for the high-tier kiharas and kagun the other people (lke DM-kihara) only now that there is something not following their known set of rules, and outside of that, the fodders have no clue that there is something else...
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-08, 03:21   Link #917
DragonXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
Wait what? Please remind me when Gensei said that. I'd be very grateful lol. I've just been way too excited about Misaka development lately, lol.
Gensei said that in the railgun manga chapter 64 on pg 23 or around there on the manga site your looking up.

Misakas Personality would change at 53% of the way to LVL6 and you could make a theory that the black hands that was trying to force Mikoto to throw the death ball could of bit the new Personality trying to complete Mikoto change but failed because of Touma and die do to not competeing the change.

You could even guess the reason why Crowley have not turn Accel into LVL6 yet is because of this problem of not being about to keep Accel in this World without a boost code as Gensei call it and the change of Accel personality at 53% to LVL6.
DragonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-09, 03:01   Link #918
SibylEnd
Fighting Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonXX View Post
Gensei said that in the railgun manga chapter 64 on pg 23 or around there on the manga site your looking up.

Misakas Personality would change at 53% of the way to LVL6 and you could make a theory that the black hands that was trying to force Mikoto to throw the death ball could of bit the new Personality trying to complete Mikoto change but failed because of Touma and die do to not competeing the change.
Yeah that's the line I was referring too. the seven seas translation is pretty much the exact same but page 24 of chapter 64 Gensei says Both her body and soul will reach their limit. In the fan translation they use the term mind instead of soul. followed by; as an individual she will be destroyed and that she will loose everything. This sort of implies that if she were to reach level-6 she will loose her soul; but her personality will evolve/change or something. implying the personality and soul/mind are pretty much interchangeable and one can exist without the other. from what I can gather it really seems like a soul is what constitutes humanity more so than the individuality, while personality is more in line with the individuality.

Granted this is an example of an unstable transformation and that her loosing her soul could be what causes the destabilisation of the level up. so her personality could change; only for it to be destroyed a few seconds later, but Genseis wording seemed to imply that destruction of the soul/mind was done at the same time her personality is changed.

Also after the angel fall incident didn't Sasha mention that she still had left over telesma left in her body. which seems weird since you need both the mind and lifeforce/body of an entity to produce their respective mana, or in this case telesma. so my mind≠personality thesis may not be entirely true... or volume 4 was really really dumb. so if Sasha's soul was still there during angel fall incident that would explain why gabriel was able to mimic Sasha flawlessly since a part of Sasha was still there beyond just her body.
Edit: Assuming the Mind/Souls dichotomy holds true, it seems the soul is the source of Mind Chakras/manas and the general body is the source of lifeforce. by extension Indian poker mixing and matching dreams from other Minds/Souls could be a way of influencing the development of the soul. from there if you would change the soul(through dreams) and the body(through cyborg tech); you could create being like artifical saints and such (similar to the artifical valkyries that show up in NT4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonXX View Post
You could even guess the reason why Crowley have not turn Accel into LVL6 yet is because of this problem of not being about to keep Accel in this World without a boost code as Gensei call it and the change of Accel personality at 53% to LVL6.
So I presume this "Boost code" is at least similar to virus that was installed in the Misaka network (if they aren't the exact same thing), except unlike the virus installed in the network to stabilise Kazakiri this one was specifically for Misaka and subsequently affected all the clones physically(by virtue of their similar make up to the original). Seems like theres a link since last orders situation seemed fairly similar to what happened to all clones during Gensei's experiment. anyone else got some instances of personality/mind/soul citations from the series?
Edit: although accelerator does have a direct link to the misaka network I don't think the connection extends beyond just computing assistance. i'd imagine a connection between either the soul/mind or personality Would be requi-...is that what the dark may project was for?! this is crazy man.

Last edited by SibylEnd; 2016-05-09 at 03:17.
SibylEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-25, 13:07   Link #919
mark1246

new chapter out

Wow.....24 pgs this time, but there a lot of material in these 24 pgs, so I'll let them get away with the short pages for once
mark1246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-25, 20:29   Link #920
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Well, whaddaya know...

Spoiler for Index-Railgun Linkage:

The Level 6 Shift and SYSTEM showed up too.
Are they actually trying to test if machines can be used for the Level 6 Shift Project?

They also seem to be trying to pin down the scientific concept of Personal Reality on such an occult concept as the soul.

Actually, this entire story arc, if it's concluded, can be used as the plot for a Toaru Kagaku no Railgun movie.

Last edited by Marcus H.; 2016-05-25 at 20:40.