AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-01-08, 16:45   Link #1
SlugZilla
woofles

Tales of the Abyss Game Discussion

http://namco-ch.net/talesoftheabyss/index.php

Tales of the Abyss is made from the same developer as Symphonia unlike Legendia and Rebirth. The battle system is 3D similar to Tale of Symphonia, with some improvements. The character designs is done by Fujishima Kousuke and the animation scenes are done by Production I.G. This game is also marks the 10th anniversary for the Tales series.

I find Abyss suprisingly addicting and have been playing it like mad. This game is almost perfect with a few technical flaws which aren't significant. I love everything about the game, each and every character stands out with their own voices and personalities and the story is easy to follow yet deep. The battles are fun and one of the best aspects of the game, so I find myself wanting to fight more, instead of avoiding encounters.
Abyss incorporates FOF(Field of Fonim) into the battles, which is a circle on the floor with elemental properties. FOF is created when you execute elemental attacks whether it be a move or a spell. When you execute an attack of the same element as the FOF when standing on it, you can unleash a stronger attack. Using FOF can help in battle but the game doesn't force you to rely on it which is a good thing. Also each character has their own hiougi which is a powered up ougi attack.

Everyone must try this game, if you like these kinds of RPG.
SlugZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-08, 18:27   Link #2
TTHX

-sigh-

Any word of a possible GC release? I still play Tales Of Symphonia, great game.
TTHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-08, 22:28   Link #3
Taylor--
!

We can only hope they'll bring it to North America (and Europe)
Taylor-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-09, 06:30   Link #4
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

I doubt that we'll get to play this in English, as it's on the PS2, which means Nintendo can't get it overseas like it did with Tales of Symphonia.
Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-09, 17:57   Link #5
Taylor--
!

Well Tales of Legendia is coming in Feb to North America and it's on the ps2.
Old 2006-01-10, 12:52   Link #6
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

I see. That's nice.

Though it won't get to Europe for sure without Nintendo. Not that it matters to me, as they rip out the 60 Hz option out of Namco's RPGs. >_<
Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-10, 18:12   Link #7
kujoe
from head to heel

I'm still in the middle of playing it and I'm having a blast so far. Everything shines as far as I'm concerned, but damn hell, it just screams unpolished when it comes to the loading times and the world map. Still, I was able to get used to such things.

The characters are the best part of this game in my opinion. Though there are just six of them, (actually, it's great that are just six..) they're all great on their own. Luke and Tear are moe, Jade screams coolness, Anise is cute and funny, Natalia is so ojousama-ish, while Guy with any woman is just simply hilarious.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-10, 21:41   Link #8
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
I wanna play this so baddddd............... Tales of Symphonia was great but Tales of Legendia seems to be an average RPG as said by Famitsu I think it got a 20/40 ouch !
God alone knows what Namco will do.
mxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-10, 22:17   Link #9
Taylor--
!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxg
I wanna play this so baddddd............... Tales of Symphonia was great but Tales of Legendia seems to be an average RPG as said by Famitsu I think it got a 20/40 ouch !
God alone knows what Namco will do.
Uhh no it got 32/40 .

Straight 8's

So no, I think this is a sign that it will be a pretty good game
Old 2006-01-11, 03:29   Link #10
Dark Lord Zenigame
ロリコン

Send a message via AIM to Dark Lord Zenigame
Eh.

To me, at least, Legendia was completely unimpressive.
The overall story is pretty bad until about thirty hours in, the battle system is a step back from even Eternia's, and the character designs... >_>

Though it has a lot of supporters in the tales fandom, I'm not one of them.
(And I do own the game.)

Abyss, on the other hand... I'm loving it. All of it.

I'm feeling for all of the characters, even the asshole Luke, the battle system is GREAT, the story's pretty good, and the world itself is... :>

As a whole, I'd say that it's the best Tales game I've played(I've played all except Rebirth), though I still like Symphonia more.
People hate on it all the time, but there's just something about it that gets me. ^_^
Dark Lord Zenigame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-11, 05:10   Link #11
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Zenigame
To me, at least, Legendia was completely unimpressive. The overall story is pretty bad until about thirty hours in, the battle system is a step back from even Eternia's, and the character designs... >_>

Though it has a lot of supporters in the tales fandom, I'm not one of them.
(And I do own the game.)
Really? I did hear of its battle system being a step back, but I also had the impression that its story and characters were more than enough to make up for it... Of course, that seems to be the opinion of a lot of Tales fans. I have never played it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Dark Lord Zenigame
Abyss, on the other hand... I'm loving it. All of it.

I'm feeling for all of the characters, even the asshole Luke, the battle system is GREAT, the story's pretty good, and the world itself is... :>
I found it interesting that the main character was an asshole in the beginning. I've seen dumb heroes, angsty ones, and carefree optimists, but it was a first for me playing an asshole like Luke in an RPG.
Old 2006-01-12, 22:30   Link #12
SlugZilla
woofles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe
I found it interesting that the main character was an asshole in the beginning. I've seen dumb heroes, angsty ones, and carefree optimists, but it was a first for me playing an asshole like Luke in an RPG.
Yep it's a refreshing take on a main character, I never hated a main character before as much as Luke, in the beginning at least.

The characters are well done, each of them fits in like a piece of a puzzle. None of them feel really left out of the story, and each of them has a vital role. Even the sub character are well done for example the Rokujinshou, the opposing characters to the main characters as each of them has a connection to one of the main characters. Also overlying the story is a existentialist theme, that questions the meaning of life. Overall I have to give this game an A. If it weren't for the somewhat sluggish loading it would be an A+.
Old 2006-01-12, 22:37   Link #13
Dark Lord Zenigame
ロリコン

Send a message via AIM to Dark Lord Zenigame
Yup, I love the characters. I actually don't hate any of the main cast, which is something I haven't been able to say about any game in a long time.

And Jade seems to have been written especially for Koyasu Takehito... his voice fits him PERFECTLY. XD

As for asshole main characters, Legendia's Senel makes Luke seem like a nice guy, believe it or not. ^_^;;
Dark Lord Zenigame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 01:41   Link #14
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlugZilla
Yep it's a refreshing take on a main character, I never hated a main character before as much as Luke, in the beginning at least.
Yeah, Namco really succeeded in making him an annoying ass to begin with. I mean, that seems to be what they set out to do with regard to the plot, character development and all.

And oh by the way, has anyone finished this game yet?

Spoiler for just in case..:
Old 2006-01-13, 20:21   Link #15
SlugZilla
woofles

Quote:
Yeah, Namco really succeeded in making him an annoying ass to begin with. I mean, that seems to be what they set out to do with regard to the plot, character development and all.

And oh by the way, has anyone finished this game yet?

Spoiler for just in case..:
Well the ending was weird
Spoiler:
Old 2006-01-13, 21:37   Link #16
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlugZilla
Well the ending was weird
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2006-04-26, 22:11   Link #17
Zhemos

Tales of The Abyss coming to North America

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/tale...ml?sid=6148428

Discuss.

I'm pretty excited, will definitely be pre-ordering this one.
Zhemos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 22:31   Link #18
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Considering that Tales of Abyss is argubly one of the top 5 PS2 RPGs, if not the best PS2 RPG, I dare say I'm pretty hyped for this game.

Even so, I fear what localisation will do to the game though. The skits for this game alone has argubly more voice than the entire Legendia + skits. The amount of skits in Abyss is ridiculous.

I hope the new contents they're talking about is 2nd hi-ougis for Guy, Anise and Asch, hi-ougi cut-ins for Nebilim, Reid, etc, Luke's ending-title clothes....

Meh, I'm being too hopeful. I suppose hoping that it'll get fully voiced is hard enough.

Mieu and Anise needs good VAs though.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 22:51   Link #19
kujoe
from head to heel

Jade NEEDS a good VA. I mean, I can't seem to imagine Jade without his Koyasu Takehito voice you know. That character was practically made for the guy. Actually, everybody requires good VAs. Unfortunately, it seems I've grown too attached to their Japanese voices already.

But man, I'm certainly hyped for this one. I expect the localisation to have its down moments, but overall it's still something to look forward to. A part of me just wants to see how it'll all turn out, while another isn't really looking forward to going through the whole game all over again. Oh well. Hopefully the added content will be interesting enough. But still, this is Tales of the Abyss people!
Old 2006-04-27, 01:25   Link #20
Kaka
罪人クロノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale
The amount of skits in Abyss is ridiculous.
like 500 or so @@?
can't remember the exact number

but then like half of them are so funny XD

Quote:
Jade NEEDS a good VA. I mean, I can't seem to imagine Jade without his Koyasu Takehito voice you know. That character was practically made for the guy. Actually, everybody requires good VAs. Unfortunately, it seems I've grown too attached to their Japanese voices already.
definitely agree. love jade with koyasu's voice~~
i am totally obsessed with japanese voice XD
Kaka is offline   Reply With Quote