Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-12-09, 13:03   Link #2321
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
With knowledge of KyoAni's shift to in-house projects, the upcoming ChuuniKoi second season, and the possibility of more Free and Tamako Market animation in the future, someone made this amusing chronology of KyoAni's works:
Fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
It's a bit undermining the methods of acquiring content to animate, though.
Honestly, I didn't find it amusing, even for a bit.
For the foreseeable future, Kyoto Animation will continue adapting properties that they fully control. The only old IP that they have any likelihood of going back to is K-on.
Old 2013-12-09, 21:53   Link #2322
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
For the foreseeable future, Kyoto Animation will continue adapting properties that they fully control. The only old IP that they have any likelihood of going back to is K-on.
I doubt they'll go back to K-On. What's left to be adapted had somewhat mixed reviews and response, IIRC.

I'd be fine with KyoAni doing more K-On, and I wouldn't rule it out entirely, but I doubt it happens. Anything pre-Chuuni will probably never be done by KyoAni again.

Oddly enough, it's actually Hyouka I feel the most sad about there. Haruhi might get picked up by another studio some day (doubtful, but possible), but I really doubt Hyouka will.
Old 2013-12-09, 22:29   Link #2323
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

I don't think we're going to get more Hyouka but I don't think that because of the move towards in house properties. If there's one project that I feel KyoAni did simply because they really wanted to do it, it would be Hyouka - which also means it's the one kind of project to which the ordinary rules may not apply.

That said... Hyouka consists of five novels written between 2001 and 2010, of which the the anime chose to adopt four. And it feels to me like that choice may have been deliberate - ie. they particularly liked the ending of that fourth book. Hence, while I think KyoAni bend its regular rules for another "because we want to" project someday, I think when they do, it will be something else.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2013-12-09, 22:43   Link #2324
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
lol@ the chronology. But damn man, the way it's portrayed makes it more so not my tastes than it seems as I'm drifting away.

From 2003-2007, I found Haruhi to be appealing, Chidori and Nagisa to be fine. Mizuzu and Konata are okay I guess. Ayu's sorta meh, but I'm pretty sure I would take her above the 2009+ crowd since staring at those too long makes me uncomfortable, especially that Nagisa dude who I truly want to sock in the face. Except Rikka. I guess she looks sort of cute. Gotta say, I don't quite remember what I saw in them in the past. My conclusion is that I will watch Chuuni over their other stuff most likely.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-12-09, 22:52   Link #2325
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I'm not the kind that looks at a studio and impulsively watch every single one of its anime if it's good. Didn't really care about Key except for Angel Beats! and Littler Busters. I stopped watching FMP after Fumoffu. I also skipped Free.

That said, I fell in love with K-ON!, Chuu2 and Kyoukai no Kanata, and Hyouka seems to be interesting. There's also Haruhi; I'm planning for a Christmas watch of Disappearance.

I think I can trust KyoAni to get more ideas than what they have already shown thus far.

Quote:
I doubt they'll go back to K-On. What's left to be adapted had somewhat mixed reviews and response, IIRC.
Holy cow, that manga series. You can see that Kakifly is already giving up on the series by the College Arc. Basically, KyoAni made it such a big hit that the original creator was unable to give the anime series justice.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2013-12-10, 00:07   Link #2326
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post

I think I can trust KyoAni to get more ideas than what they have already shown thus far.
They'll probably experiment on a new IP at some point. That one gag episode in KnK suggests that they might be considering doing a full-fledged idol show. That is something that KyoAni might do a very good job with.

That being said, KyoAni can go on a bit of a sequel spree with Chuuni, Tamako Market, Free!, and KnK, if they want to. Even if Tamako Market and KnK don't sell that well, Chuuni and Free! will more than make up the difference. So I wouldn't be surprised if we get more sequels than new IPs from KyoAni over the next two or three years.

Quote:
Holy cow, that manga series. You can see that Kakifly is already giving up on the series by the College Arc. Basically, KyoAni made it such a big hit that the original creator was unable to give the anime series justice.
Right. That, plus K-On had a pretty good and satisfying run with a pretty nice, neat, and tidy ending (both in the final TV episodes, and in the movie).
Old 2013-12-10, 00:22   Link #2327
ultimate_noob
Skwid Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
They'll probably experiment on a new IP at some point. That one gag episode in KnK suggests that they might be considering doing a full-fledged idol show. That is something that KyoAni might do a very good job with.
Haha I'll be looking forward to watch this if this came true Idol shows are profitable just look at Uta-Prince, Idolmaster, LoveLive, AKB0048. Aniplex, A-1, Sunrise and Satelight are gaining enough profits from those shows. Wake Up Girls isn't proving anything yet so I think it is not too late for Kyoani to join the competition.
Old 2013-12-10, 00:35   Link #2328
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
That one gag episode in KnK suggests that they might be considering doing a full-fledged idol show. That is something that KyoAni might do a very good job with.
I'd go nuts over that. Then again, I was going nuts over the news of KyoAni making a legitimate supernatural action anime this year, and look how that turned out.
Old 2013-12-10, 02:45   Link #2329
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Speaking personally, I'd much rather see original productions from KyoAni rather than endless KA Esuma adaptations.
Old 2013-12-10, 03:55   Link #2330
cyth
Banned

Me too, I'd just rather they produce good content. More Frees and less Kyoukai no Kanatas, I say.
Old 2013-12-10, 04:18   Link #2331
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I'd rather they become a contract studio for Kadokawa, they can't produce their own stuff that's worth a damn.
Old 2013-12-10, 04:20   Link #2332
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

They make a hell of a lot more money with properties they own themselves, why would they bother changing their business model?
The best we can hope for is that they run out of novels to adapt and start going for more original productions. They could also stand to hire better writers...
Old 2013-12-10, 04:39   Link #2333
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
They make a hell of a lot more money with properties they own themselves, why would they bother changing their business model?
I'm not a business executive at Kyoani trying to make money.
Old 2013-12-10, 05:54   Link #2334
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Speaking personally, I'd much rather see original productions from KyoAni rather than endless KA Esuma adaptations.
And we got Munto and Tamako Market. So no thankyou. Their in-house LN adaptations are not much better either.

Kyoani has great production values and polish when it comes to adaptations, so I want them to see them tackle good source material, not try and make golden turds out of mediocre ones.
Old 2013-12-10, 08:30   Link #2335
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Couple of thoughts.

1. The series composer for Kyoukai also is in charge of the Love Live series composition/scripts. The idol episode was likely a nod to that as well as supported by Producer Saito to help move some OST CDs. Since Hanada was the one pushing for that episode, I doubt the theory that "they're testing grounds for a new idol show."

2. I seriously doubt we'll see any more K-On! made. While KyoAni still works with TBS for international rights holding as well as digital distribution in Japan, the committee for the CTFK shows is much different than the one for K-On! (mainly being that TBS isn't the head of the committee and listed outside it). I doubt they'll take subcontracting for that when KyoAni was actually at the bottom for the TBS shows (Key and K-On!).

Considering they wanted to go original to produce goods/hold events like the CTFK 2013 event, I don't see subcontracting in the near future (outside of certain circumstances like a Takemoto/Gatou combo of one of his novels). I'd like to see them break out of the contracting studio rut and make what they want to make instead of being paid to do advertising/series for someone else like so many companies do now. If someone else doesn't want to see that, that's fine too, but realize that may not be what the company wants to do and how little our opinions matter to them.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2013-12-10, 10:11   Link #2336
ultimate_noob
Skwid Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
If someone else doesn't want to see that, that's fine too, but realize that may not be what the company wants to do and how little our opinions matter to them.
Now that is disappointing. They should listen to what their customers say. It is not like everyone will eat their products automatically.
I like the risks though.
Old 2013-12-10, 11:28   Link #2337
all_flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I don't think we're going to get more Hyouka but I don't think that because of the move towards in house properties. If there's one project that I feel KyoAni did simply because they really wanted to do it, it would be Hyouka - which also means it's the one kind of project to which the ordinary rules may not apply.

That said... Hyouka consists of five novels written between 2001 and 2010, of which the the anime chose to adopt four. And it feels to me like that choice may have been deliberate - ie. they particularly liked the ending of that fourth book. Hence, while I think KyoAni bend its regular rules for another "because we want to" project someday, I think when they do, it will be something else.
Hyouka was getting a re-release from Kadokawa, so they contact KyoAni to animate them. And... its been years since vol 5, and no news been made since then.

Quote:
On the bright side, when your favorite anime got horrible sales, and less likely getting a sequel, or if you've been writing for years and never getting an anime adaptation. You know where to go

KyoAni offers an alternative business model which deviate from Kadokawa monopoly model. But it seems nihonjin were really slow on catching what KyoAni is trying to say, or they just don't wish to take a risk.

On a side note, no. Just look at Tamako. Naoko Yamada is by no means a bad director, but just what exactly they (with Reiko Yoshida) were trying to do? Were they trying to make another keion? were they trying to mimic 'ARIA'/'Tamayura'? Even Yui is a better MC than Tamako (Airhead is fine, but overly dense? No!). Tamako needs someone which could create potential Event-oriented story, or someone which could pointed out everything interesting/uninteresting in the script, and try to improve it. Or just someone with some depth knowledge on 'E=mc^2'. Because, it really was lacking 'energy', so the show feels really dull and uninteresting. Even Hyouka was way more colorful despite literally 'people talking: the animation'. Or someone "ISTP"/"ESTP"/"INTP"/"**TP" I don't care, someone who could think with their head and able to perceive on how people will look on this... whatever, I'll go rant somewhere else.
Old 2013-12-10, 13:53   Link #2338
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Kyoani has great production values and polish when it comes to adaptations, so I want them to see them tackle good source material, not try and make golden turds out of mediocre ones.
Or... they could get better/less uneven series comps. Ones at least as good as Gatoh.
I think we'd all be happier if the writing and scripting in their current lineup was better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I'm not a business executive at Kyoani trying to make money.
Then you have no say in the matter, do you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by all_flying View Post
Hyouka was getting a re-release from Kadokawa, so they contact KyoAni to animate them. And... its been years since vol 5, and no news been made since then.
I... may be wrong about this, but I believe that the only reason Hyouka got a rerelease, a new manga, etc was because Takemoto wanted to do it.
It was first announced on the KA website, after all, not on the Kadokawa one.
Old 2013-12-10, 15:26   Link #2339
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Considering they wanted to go original to produce goods/hold events like the CTFK 2013 event, I don't see subcontracting in the near future (outside of certain circumstances like a Takemoto/Gatou combo of one of his novels). I'd like to see them break out of the contracting studio rut and make what they want to make instead of being paid to do advertising/series for someone else like so many companies do now. If someone else doesn't want to see that, that's fine too, but realize that may not be what the company wants to do and how little our opinions matter to them.
If what they want to do is adapt subpar light novels that didn't even manage to win the prizes that KyoAni itself is awarding then I'm not particularly interested in buying. If they want to go and get Gatou to do series composition for them on a high quality work like they did with Hyouka then by all means, I'll buy that in a heartbeat.
Old 2013-12-10, 15:54   Link #2340
TJR

Quote:
I... may be wrong about this, but I believe that the only reason Hyouka got a rerelease, a new manga, etc was because Takemoto wanted to do it.
It was first announced on the KA website, after all, not on the Kadokawa one.
IIRC, they were fulfilling an arrangement with Kadokawa (who aimed for one Kyoto Animation series per year). What probably happened was that they opened up their back catalog for adaptation, and Takemoto proposed the series that seemed most interesting.

Coincidentally (or not), P.A. Works adapted Another during the same period, so it's possible that Kadokawa was simply interested in recycling older properties that never had the chance to take off.
Closed Thread

Tags
studios