AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-03-14, 04:00   Link #1441
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Why yes, let's also do a Spaceballs and Star Wreck comparison while we're at it!

Marika = Shepard, Chiaki = Liara, Schnitzer = Garrus. Discuss.
Old 2012-03-14, 04:41   Link #1442
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Given how he's the big guy, I'd say Schnitzer's role is more akin to Wrex.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-14, 08:10   Link #1443
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
Why yes, let's also do a Spaceballs and Star Wreck comparison while we're at it!

Marika = Shepard, Chiaki = Liara, Schnitzer = Garrus. Discuss.
Jack and Joker would be who in all this?
Old 2012-03-14, 09:10   Link #1444
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

What was I thinking, Schnitzer was compared to Worf a while back. Of course he'd be Wrex!

I think Gruer would be Garrus. I suppose Kane is Joker. But I'm lacking ideas for Jack.
Old 2012-03-14, 10:19   Link #1445
Random Wanderer

Don't you people have anything better to do?
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-14, 10:41   Link #1446
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Don't you people have anything better to do?
Until the airing of the episode obviously not...
Old 2012-03-14, 14:46   Link #1447
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Soooo ... I re-watched eps 1-10 all in a row last night to see if it created a different perspective, and you know, I was amazed how many things I missed on the week-by-week watching.

Eps 1-5 centered around the build up to Marika making her decision to commit to becoming a pirate captain and eps 6-10 centered around bringing the main storyline into focus via Princess Serenity.

In short? The show is really, really excellent, and Marika is ... well ... a born leader and "clutch player". Her piercing insight is downright amazing. I am really looking forward to the next ep.
Old 2012-03-14, 14:53   Link #1448
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Soooo ... I re-watched eps 1-10 all in a row last night to see if it created a different perspective, and you know, I was amazed how many things I missed on the week-by-week watching.
Oh, I'll be doing the same thing -- after the whole season is done -- AND -- clean up the Wikipedia listing. Summaries should be 4-6 lines. Preferably less than 6.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rates_episodes
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-14, 14:56   Link #1449
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Yeah I'll definitely be marathoning this series when it's over. Probably a few times. Anyhow, back to the serious business, which would win in a fight, the Bentenmaru or the White Star from Babylon 5?

Endless "Serious business" Soul
Old 2012-03-14, 15:30   Link #1450
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I haven't gauged the strength of the Bentenmaru's weapons or quite her size.

My guess is that the White Star is larger and probably higher tech. Perhaps not. It comes down to weapons tech, shield/armor tech, and detection tech (remember the White Star is Mimbari tech and has radar stealth that prevents detection and weapons lock ons....but not optical sighting)

Bentenmaru does have artificial gravity and a FTL drive. See seems to have some forms of shieldng and armor. She appears fast, can turn easily. She has some multipurpose weapons.

But aside from the damage we see on that one Corback running from the other ships, we have very little to gauge weapons damage from the likes of the Bentenmaru against anything.

If they are fairly even, it will come down to commanding officer:

Marika might be fairly sharp but she's inexperianced...especially in combat.

Chiaki seems to be a by the book type. Her stage performance was also by the book, ham and all. It is unknown if she's make for a good combat commander if something doesn't go by the book. Depends on how she is with giving orders and thinking quickly.

Jenny Doolittle. If she goes that route she might be formidible as a combat captain. She seemed to have everything together until the Lightning 11 openned fire with primative optical scopes (how droll). In future, having experianced that I imagine she's do better next time. Also if her ship was armed with more than a solar sail (which require some though to use as a weapon...thanks Marika).

Sheridan is a war veteran and seems to have a knack for turning the terrain against his enemies and not above using tricks against a superior foe.

Delenn is much less combat experianced than Sheridan (religious caste and all that) but she is far more deturmined and more ready to spill blood if she feels her cause is right.

And then there is Ivanova. Don't mess with her. While she doesn't have the experiance of Sheridan (not a war vet) nor as much knack for using the terrain against her enemies....she's as deturmined (perhaps more so) than Delenn, and much more willing to go push the ship and crew to get the job done than the others. She is more likely to use her ship's advantages against an enemies weaknesses than Sheridan or Delenn. And if you cross her....you will end up dead or at least in a lot of pain (mental and/or physical).
Old 2012-03-14, 16:50   Link #1451
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Nice analysis!

It seems to me that the White Star and the Bentenmaru are roughly the same size judging by the size of the retractable bridge on the Bentenmaru. Both seem to be pretty fast and be able to turn on a dime, which is why I specifically chose these two. The weapons package on the White Star seem to be very effective. It still remains to be seen what the Bentenmaru is capable of. However, the Bentenmaru is much more colorful, and sometimes, that can be important.

I think you're right that it might come down to who is in command.

Endless "Turn and burn" Soul
Old 2012-03-14, 16:58   Link #1452
Kyuu
=^^=

I haven't watching Babylon 5. However, as far as the Bentenmaru goes -- and with what we've seen so far -- the weapon systems have been used for defensive purposes. We'll see (or not) about its capability to destroy or render a target vessel immobile.

And for a pirate ship, it needs a variety of weapons in order to fend for itself.

BTW, strange for them to fly through some dense star dust clouds - without energy/deflector shields. For, I shall assume, that the vessel is subjected to friction.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-14, 17:29   Link #1453
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The impacts suggest a close in shield. One that is just above the hull itself. It is almost required for high speed space travel. From the openning we can see it is powerful enough to deflect a blast of energy from what I guess is a Corback. How much it can strug off is unknown, but in Marika's simulator run, the Bentenmaru didn't last long against a surprise fleet attack. Even with all the defenses and countermessues deployed.

That they have antimatter warheads is something though. And while I'm generally opposed to traditional missiles in a hard fiction (or semi-solid maybe) setting were distances can be over a light second away and the opponent can hack computers seeming easily, just throwing a giant explosive bomb that should vaporise everything around it does work nicely. (while the Humans and Narn used nuclear devices, other races had antimatter weapons...the guys who used the flying saucer type ships for example, Vree I think they were called).

Large explosions work against Mimbari tech to a point. If the EM shields and Vorlon based organic hull design's damage absorption/deflection is overwhelmed, a White Star is toast.

The efficient Fusion Cannons (three twin mounts) and her single heavy Nuetron Beam Cannon (the standard beam weapon the Mimbari use on all their much larger capital ships), a White Star has a lot of forward firepower, and the manuverbility (antigravity drives) to get it on target. This ship was designed to fight an ancient race so it is a little beyond most other races (in that universe) in technology. Using a mix of the two most advanced ("good") races to make a hybrid for the younger of those two races. However it seems to function best with a third race (Humans) in command.

Bentenmaru has what looks like three triple mount Beam Cannons and two Missile/Device launcher racks. She has some very powerful thrusters to spin her around quickly. Again the problem is that aside from their utility, we cannot gauge the damage potential of the Bentenmaru's Beam Weapons. This ship was probably either a cargo ship or a civilian built cruiser designed for their war over 100 year prior to the show's events. It is a pirate ship. A good one too since it survived the war and the last 100 years intact and can reportedly take on at least three Corbacks in a fight. And Corback is larger than the Bentenmaru.
Old 2012-03-14, 18:24   Link #1454
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
Anyhow, back to the serious business, which would win in a fight, the Bentenmaru or the White Star from Babylon 5?
You know, I probably have to hurt you now.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-14, 20:40   Link #1455
pezzie

I'm sorry, as much as I love Marika and as brilliant as I believe she is, she still needs about 20 years more experience before she can stand toe-to-toe with John Nuke'em Sheridan.
pezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-14, 21:35   Link #1456
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

A final thought before the end of the off-topic is that the B5 contingent went through military academies while Marika is stll in high school.

Anyway, let's not stray so far OT (unless someone wants to make/already made a social group where this discussion can go).
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-14, 23:57   Link #1457
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezzie View Post
I'm sorry, as much as I love Marika and as brilliant as I believe she is, she still needs about 20 years more experience before she can stand toe-to-toe with John "Nuke'em" Sheridan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
A final thought before the end of the off-topic is that the B5 contingent went through military academies while Marika is stll in high school.
"Abso-fragging-lutely"

While the show might not be action based, one imagines at some point Marika is going to have to use her weapons for destructive combat. Then we will be able to gauge how those weapons are.

Until then we can only speculate from what little has been presented. But there are still 16 episodes left to go.
Old 2012-03-15, 01:30   Link #1458
sa547
*Author

"It's a stickup!" (NSFW ads/content)

"Realistic" Marika (NSFW ads)
Old 2012-03-15, 14:05   Link #1459
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

She doesn't look stuckup....

I counter with
"Dark Pirate Queen Captain living it up" (NSFW ads)
Old 2012-03-16, 21:10   Link #1460
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Let us hope for an interesting episode (psst, like it won't be interesting?)

I do hope we see some combat...if nothing else but to gauge the Bentenmaru's weapons and such.

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri