AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-09-15, 15:19   Link #1
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

Time Jam: Valerian & Laureline (French-Japanese Co-Production)

I actually didn't see a topic here, so I thought I might as well post this over here.

Anyways, for those who aren't familiar with the name, Time-Jam: Valerian and Laureline is a Japanese-French co-productioned based off a French comic, known as Valérian: Spatio-Temporal Agent.

The production team consists of Two main studios: Satelight, who is doing the 2D Animation, and Europacorp, who is supposibly involved with doing the 3D animation. Dargaud, who publishes the comic, is watching over production.

Here's some trailers for the series:

First French Trailer: http://youtube.com/watch?v=u9lpviZOd...elated&search=
TAF Japanese Trailer: http://youtube.com/watch?v=L4G80WjJo...related&search
Second French Trailer: http://youtube.com/watch?v=8_TCLJsaC...related&search

France will begin broadcasting this October 20th, 2007 on Canal + (Family). Japan is still tentative on airing it of this year, but could end up airing as early as January 2008.

Staff:

Director: Eiichi Sato, Philippe Vidal
Animation Direction: Tooru Yoshida, Toshiyuki Kubooka
Original Character Design Art: Charles Vaucelles
Character Designs: Makoto Uno
Music: Alexandre Azzaria

Last edited by ChibiGoku; 2007-10-09 at 20:12.
ChibiGoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-18, 08:20   Link #2
Ialdaboth

I saw the trailer some days ago too and considered posting it here and on AoD... thanks ChibiGoku !

There is also an english version of the first trailer :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOL3hS3hSOY

And the Wiki article :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Val%C3%..._and_Laureline

I'm not very fond of the designs and the kiddie show treatment, but can't wait watching it nonetheless. A Valerian anime series ? We have been waiting for it for years !

PS : The first volume of the complete edition of the original french comics has been out since last week. It's a good opportunity to rediscover the title if you understand the language

Last edited by Ialdaboth; 2007-09-18 at 10:27.
Ialdaboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-23, 02:09   Link #3
tosho

One small question

Does anyone have the tv shows?
tosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-25, 21:53   Link #4
solomon

Hmmm An anime based of off un bande dessine? how interesting, I have a feeling that itll be worked over so as to appease the control board of France 3 (one of Frances public broadcasters) as they are known for airing children's shows.

Kinda wanna read the comic first though.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 20:11   Link #5
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

Well, doing a snooping around, apparently it's schedule to air on Canal + (Family) in France on October 20th, 2007. Still no scheduled date for the series in Japan, even though it's planned to air there some point in this year...
Old 2009-10-13, 22:39   Link #6
Duamerthrax

Time Jam: Valerian & Laureline

Arguably a anime, a French/Japanese co-production based off a 1967 French Sci-Fi comic. If this displeases the mods I am sorry.

The series first aired in France in 2007 and has yet to air in Japan has come to DVD in France for 30 euros. This seems like some a group would be interested in so I thought to bring it here.

Below is a English pitch trailer. No further English has been published or announced to date.

And below is the French Amazon page for Time Jam. If you have a US Amazon account it will work. My purchase came to 55 US Dollar for 40 episodes of 23 minutes each
Time Jam at amazon.fr
Duamerthrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 15:58   Link #7
Crontica

Looks like Farscape Anime Version.. With eye wrenching dubs
Crontica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 22:03   Link #8
solomon

The source material I hear is actually quite awesome. Too bad in America we cant see french comics aside from asterix and tintin
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-23, 06:23   Link #9
Kitsune
九尾の狐
*Artist

In Catalan autonomic TV (Spain) has been already aired about two times under the title of "Valerian & Laureline" the entire series, the plot lacks a bit bit it has good graphics and it was pretty interesting (anyways I don't usually like occidental cartoons copying japanese style)

http://www.tv3.cat/p25anys/els25.jsp...y=&anyFiltre=0
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-24, 19:55   Link #10
Duamerthrax

I did mention in the first post that it was a co-production. The animation was produced by Satelight, the studio that animated Macross Frontier. I can't see how there's anything wrong with a Japanese studio using "Anime Style" animation.
Duamerthrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-24, 22:06   Link #11
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duamerthrax View Post
I did mention in the first post that it was a co-production. The animation was produced by Satelight, the studio that animated Macross Frontier. I can't see how there's anything wrong with a Japanese studio using "Anime Style" animation.
Pretty much this. The series was meant to be released in Japan, as well as in France. My understanding from the official blog was the series was being prepped to be shown as half episodes for the Japanese airing. However, also said blog went relatively quiet and I believe it was never updated again.

Thomas Romain, who works at Satelight, mentioned one thing about the series in which the director changed on the project (atleast, that's how it sounded), during the whole fiasco about Basquash! getting a new director. I did plan on asking him what happened with Valerian in Japan and why it didn't air, but I felt a bit uncomfortable asking so.

I actually have a picture of the Japanese logo somewhere that was shown as one year at TAF (2007 I believe). I'll look into digging that up up.
Old 2010-10-23, 21:22   Link #12
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I've watched the first two of these on Crunchyroll and have enjoyed them both. Laureline is plenty feisty and Valerian has a self-deprecating sense of humor for an action hero. L is packed quite tightly into her space suit with its seductive zipper. I like the fact both mains are adults even if they're only in their twenties.

This was a Franco-Japanese co-partnership with Satelight as the animator. Even after two episodes you can see them starting to play around with 3-D modelling that later appears in Noein. (They did a better job with 3-D in that show, though the scenes with Haruka's house were overused.) All the direction of this show was European, though. The Wikipedia page has the details.

The Crunchyroll episodes are dubbed by Australians. I liked the voice actors overall and thought the woman who voiced the Tempus Fugit's computer named Rhonda stole the show.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-23, 23:23   Link #13
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
The Crunchyroll episodes are dubbed by Australians. I liked the voice actors overall and thought the woman who voiced the Tempus Fugit's computer named Rhonda stole the show.
Ahhhh, that explains why the accents sounded so odd to me, I thought it was British dubbing actually.
I've seen the first ten or so episodes and I think it's alright. Right now it feels much more like a kids show to me (a kids show I probably would've liked too) and I'll continue it when I'm less swamped but with everything else out there I'm having a hard time finding motivation to watch it.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-25, 04:18   Link #14
AnimeFangirl

They're making an anime of it? Wow. I've seen a few episodes of the cartoon and it's not bad at all, but an anime...? Well, I'll hold off my opinions until I've seen it.
Old 2010-10-25, 08:00   Link #15
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I suspect we're talking about the same show. This ran on French Canal+ in 2007-2008. It's only now appearing in the US thanks to Crunchyroll.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-25, 17:24   Link #16
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosho View Post
One small question

Does anyone have the tv shows?
I do. And i actually quite enjoy the french dub. Laureline got a wonderful personnality in her tone.
Sageblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 15:05   Link #17
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I just saw the first episode streamed on ANN, and the first episode was very enjoyable after Valerian went to the past. The Val & Laur escape sequence especially. The voices weren't exceptional though. Not bad, but not great either. I never even heard of this show til now. I hope the rest of the series is as enjoyable as the first episode =03.

side note: this is still in the Upcoming section (O.o)?
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 16:03   Link #18
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post

side note: this is still in the Upcoming section (O.o)?
There were two threads for this show actually. Both have been merged now.
Old 2011-01-30, 16:24   Link #19
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!

I can somewhat remember a French comic from my childhood which was called "Valerian & Veronique".
I even could recognise the ship in that clip from my shady memories of the series.
Any idea why they changed the name of the girl?
Old 2011-01-31, 12:41   Link #20
M.Marangio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himeji View Post
I can somewhat remember a French comic from my childhood which was called "Valerian & Veronique". [...]
Any idea why they changed the name of the girl?
The original title is "Valérian, agent spatio-temporel", later "Valérian et Laureline". It was only released as "Valerian und Veronique" in Germany. Don't ask me why they changed the name of one of the protagonists.
M.Marangio is offline   Reply With Quote