AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Old 2020-08-22, 20:29   Link #41
MCAL

It looks surprisingly good, but considering most productions by Passione nosedived in quality pretty quickly, I'm still a bit skeptical. But yeah, two cours for (presumably) the question arcs is perfect.

Official Translated Trailer:

Last edited by MCAL; 2020-08-25 at 21:00.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-26, 02:26   Link #42
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I still don't really love the visuals for the remake. But, it's still Higurashi. And honestly got by just fine with the 'whoa there' animation of the original first seasons anyways. So I'll definitely get used to this eventually too.

Just need to pace themselves properly. No point doing it and rushing.
Old 2020-08-26, 23:51   Link #43
Katsu Koneko
明日がある

Send a message via AIM to Katsu Koneko
The official subs make me worried really... Like come on Funimation...

Spoiler for HANAMIZAWA:

My AnimelistMy DeviantartMy Youtube
Index & Spinx banner Made by Pellissier / Keiichi & Rika Icon Made by Nabiki Asakura
Katsu Koneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-27, 06:14   Link #44
Homura7

They better adapt it properly. Studio DEEN adaptation was a mess, they left out the meaty stuff and rushed it all, not to mention some of the most psychologically horrific scenes were heavily toned down in comparison to the VN.
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-30, 07:44   Link #45
Liddo-kun
is this so?

translated trailer 2

Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-01, 11:09   Link #46
ukulelembo
Detective

First episode is out!
Old Opening was resused as ending of first episode.
ukulelembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-01, 12:33   Link #47
Jaden

Low-resolution backgrounds with deformed characters is a better fit for Higurashi than a super slick, detailed, cinematic presentation, with a bunch of CGI bells and whistles.

When the job is to "update" an old DEEN anime, there is a temptation to over-produce, but I'm happy they didn't do that. Aesthetically, it still feels very familiar.

I'm guessing most of the changes will be in what material gets cut, condensed, and maybe even added in a way that suits the anime format.
Old 2020-10-01, 16:51   Link #48
Dextro
He Without a Title

Really neat to hear that old opening during the end of the episode. Also, the V.A. work is absolutely on point with both Reina and Mion doing great with the super serious denials in the middle of all the light-heartedness.

The plot is moving much faster than the original show though which I think might actually be better but I'm finding it hard to judge since a good chunk of what made the original Higurashi so impactful was the slow burn of not knowing what the hell was going on. Now that I know the full story and all that's going to happen it doesn't hit quite as hard.

On the other hand visually I find it looks much more interesting than the previous DEEN adaptation. The character designs look really cute and cartoony in a way that really pops. It works well with the many facial expressions Reina in particular does and the classic "Nipaa!" from Rika.

I'm unsure yet if I'll be able to keep the interest in watching this due to what I said above but it just might be an interesting new take on the story. Though, to be fair, I didn't feel like the first couple of Higurashi seasons were particularly bad unlike many other Deen shows (Did someone say Fate/Stay Night?)
Old 2020-10-01, 18:06   Link #49
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I haven't watched Higurashi since it aired and I surprisingly remember a lot. Right now I don't really see the point of this remake, it's not like the visuals of the old series are that dated. I guess time will tell whether it's worth it (new scenes and what not). Good to see the cast back anyway.
Old 2020-10-01, 19:56   Link #50
grecefar

I liked this first chapter a lot, it did felt rushed but still I enjoyed it. The original opening at the end was a big plus.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-02, 00:48   Link #51
Marina2

With all those new 'hints' dropped. This remake seems to aim at people who already know all the plot rather then new fans.

It's like a fanservice for old fans: Look! you know what does this mean, right?
Old 2020-10-02, 09:51   Link #52
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Reusing the old OP was a nice touch, it's one of those things I wanted them to do

as for everything else, is the 2000s animation quality and style intentional?

I'd probably binge watch this at some point, I don't think the appearance of that spoiler character I would want to see would happen this season anyway.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-02, 10:57   Link #53
BWTraveller
Born to ship

I still prefer the old visuals. It seemed to fit the mood better than the new do. That said, the audio and pacing is improved in some good places (for instance, the instant and harsh denial by both Rena and Mio gave a heavier impact than the original. Making Satoko break down crying so easily feels kind of off, but I can get used to it. The original opening was definitely a great touch, you can't really get much better than the original music for this series. And above all, Rika with glowing red eyes at the end was quite a surprise. Was that in the original games?

Also, shouldn't Higurashi's section be moved back from Old to Current series?
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-02, 12:14   Link #54
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Ep1
I question the value of re-watching this anime, with this weird and cheap... Moetan? No, there was an eroge with characters designs like this, but I can never remember the name, character designs and all of the characters trying their best to sound like their original selves from so many years back but still partially not sounding the same.

I also question why they are bothering remaking this series now too, BTW.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-02, 14:44   Link #55
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Move this thread/subforum to Current Series mods!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Ep1
I question the value of re-watching this anime, with this weird and cheap... Moetan? No, there was an eroge with characters designs like this, but I can never remember the name, character designs and all of the characters trying their best to sound like their original selves from so many years back but still partially not sounding the same.

I also question why they are bothering remaking this series now too, BTW.
Bake-monogatari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I haven't watched Higurashi since it aired and I surprisingly remember a lot. Right now I don't really see the point of this remake, it's not like the visuals of the old series are that dated. I guess time will tell whether it's worth it (new scenes and what not). Good to see the cast back anyway.
Think of Fate VN getting remakes.
Old 2020-10-02, 23:53   Link #56
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroageha View Post

Think of Fate VN getting remakes.
So uh......the magic touch of DEEN?
Old 2020-10-03, 00:48   Link #57
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

The original 2006 anime made this the all the more epic.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-03, 01:13   Link #58
Green²
It's bacon!

Been itching to watch this. Not too much got butchered so far.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-03, 01:44   Link #59
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I actually own the Steam versions of the question arcs, unplayed.

I do have to wonder though, is this rendition designed primarily for the previous viewers already familiar with the insanity of Hinamizawa 1983 in mind, or for new viewers? I'm probably one of the few who had a difficult time following the events of the original run to piece everything together.

I'm of course glad they kept the original voice cast. I really believe that some characters here, like Reina and Rika, could never have been played better than anyone other than their originals. As others have said, Reina's deadpan vocal tone whiplash was a perfect then as it is now, and no one in the industry does that better than Nakahara Mai.

Last edited by MeoTwister5; 2020-10-03 at 01:55.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-03, 05:56   Link #60
SidVicious
Anime addict

Nice use of the original song.
I love Eiko Shimamiya's voice.