AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-26, 00:37   Link #281
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!

Remember the Oschestra is madness and fight against many police forces before, they will prepare AP rounds to against ballistic shield, with riot shield, just normal 7.62x39 can penetrate it. And Valmet's shield is hit many time by his AP rounds before it is penetrated, not just first shot. No ballistic shield, even the level IV ones is design to prevent many AP rifle rounds . And maybe the ballisitc shield of those polices are below level III (and also is weaken by 40mm HE), because usually only SWAT can be equiped level III and above ones.

Last edited by Panzerklein; 2012-04-26 at 00:47.
Panzerklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 01:31   Link #282
MartianMage

Well I dunno about you guys... It's not like I'm just looking for things to hate on but the terrible action in this episode just stands out really. I hope that future action scenes don't turn out like this really cause it's gonna be a major turn off for me since good action scenes are one of my expectations from this show.
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 03:48   Link #283
Pacify

Must say the episode definitely was ruined by that horrible action sequence >_<
Pacify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 04:58   Link #284
Gohan78
Awakened One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacify View Post
Must say the episode definitely was ruined by that horrible action sequence >_<
I agree. I don't expect realistic gunfights from this kind of show but that moment when Jonah ran out in the open was facepalm-inducing.
Especially since I don't see much intelligent dialog or well-developed characters so far. At least give me some good action!
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Gohan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 12:44   Link #285
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Everyone wants something different from a series of course, so if the lack of realism bothers you that's perfectly legitimate. But it seems to me that it's more a problem of expectations than execution. If you walk into a Fellini or even Tarantino film looking for realistic events you're asking for disappointment, and it's the same with Jormungand. That's not really the point.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 13:16   Link #286
MartianMage

Actually the problem is the execution. There's no reason at all to make the action sequence suffer just to show Jonah is suicidal.

And TBH it's not like I'm expecting realistic action to enjoy this. Even if I tell myself "ok action in this anime will be unrealistic" I'd still have problems how they executed it. There are a lot of animes out there that showcase unrealistic gunfights but are still very enjoyable. This one falls under unrealistic and simply bad execution.
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 14:19   Link #287
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
That's how I also viewed Jonah's charging attempt at Shishio. It may have been a combat tactic that had been very favorable to him in the past.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 17:12   Link #288
SQA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
That's how I also viewed Jonah's charging attempt at Shishio. It may have been a combat tactic that had been very favorable to him in the past.
Against untrained soldiers its quite effective. Against anyone with training, it's a death sentence. Something Lehm was pointing out.

I think they needed the Plaza to be bigger, that would have made the jarring bit of the action not cause as much consternation as it has.

Still, as a big Black Lagoon fan, I can't say it bothered me much, lol.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 17:55   Link #289
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The tried and true Han Solo strategy...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-27, 00:13   Link #290
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQA View Post
Against untrained soldiers its quite effective. Against anyone with training, it's a death sentence. Something Lehm was pointing out.

I think they needed the Plaza to be bigger, that would have made the jarring bit of the action not cause as much consternation as it has.

Ah but it's not like child soldiers faced armed commandos in special forces operations where they are killed.

Unless I'm wrong and there has been a case like that.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2012-04-28, 11:25   Link #291
klare

"the car is standing!" yeah bonus points for that^^

so many bullets were fired but only 2 hits, and they are not vital
Old 2012-04-28, 16:31   Link #292
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
"the car is standing!" yeah bonus points for that^^

so many bullets were fired but only 2 hits, and they are not vital
It's just cartoon physics
Old 2012-04-28, 16:31   Link #293
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQA View Post

Quote:
Ah but it's not like child soldiers faced armed commandos in special forces operations where they are killed.

Yeah, that pretty much seemed to be exactly the point. Jonah was doing something that, as a skilled fighter facing off against half-trained schmucks, had worked in the past: charge the enemy and watch them panic, probably jamming down the trigger on their full-auto weapons and emptying the clips into the air. Against Orchestra, this would get him killed (note also that he's not hitting them while firing while charging, which makes sense: he can't aim on the run and it's basically suppressive fire to increase the target's panic). Lehm then seizes the opportunity to chew him out and point out that as one of Koko's team, he's not going to be going up against low-grade guys any more, and that he's going to have to learn to work as one of a unit and not get killed now in his new role.

tl; dr--Jonah was being stupid, show acknowledges that it was stupid, character development moment achieved
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 20:40   Link #294
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

I've been working on this page with a few others in IMFDB. Check it out if you're curious in the types of firearms used in the show.

Old 2012-04-28, 21:21   Link #295
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
I agree. I don't expect realistic gunfights from this kind of show but that moment when Jonah ran out in the open was facepalm-inducing.
Especially since I don't see much intelligent dialog or well-developed characters so far. At least give me some good action!
Realistic gunfight like Roberta use musket to kill professional solders with full hi-tech gear, huh?
Old 2012-04-29, 01:15   Link #296
SQA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerklein View Post
Realistic gunfight like Roberta use musket to kill professional solders with full hi-tech gear, huh?

Roberta was a domesticated T-800. She doesn't count.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 05:33   Link #297
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I don't want realistic gunfights. I want Jonah killing people with bullets ricocheting off the walls and the rain of shells from machine guns to be enough for someone to slip on them, banana-style

At least the characters get some exposition in every episode, and it's easy on the eyes, so I've got no problem adding it to my main weekly list.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 10:11   Link #298
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:

The Battle of Mogadishu, Somalia, 1993. Immortalised in the novel and movie Black Hawk Down. Among the Aidid militia fighters were child soldiers; one Delta operator recounted being engaged by what he believed was a father-son team.

IIRC, there are mentions that Lehm was ex-Delta and saw action in Somalia in 1993, which would mean that he was part of Task Force Ranger, and a contemporary of Gordon and Shugart.

This is probably why Jonah's method pisses him the fuck off, which is clearly evident. He doesn't raise his voice or anything, but by the end of the chewing out, Jonah is clearly cowed.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 10:16   Link #299
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:

Plenty...and not just Mogadishu....Middle East, Africa, any of the third world's wars...
Old 2012-04-29, 15:08   Link #300
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
The Battle of Mogadishu, Somalia, 1993. Immortalised in the novel and movie Black Hawk Down. Among the Aidid militia fighters were child soldiers; one Delta operator recounted being engaged by what he believed was a father-son team.

IIRC, there are mentions that Lehm was ex-Delta and saw action in Somalia in 1993, which would mean that he was part of Task Force Ranger, and a contemporary of Gordon and Shugart.

This is probably why Jonah's method pisses him the fuck off, which is clearly evident. He doesn't raise his voice or anything, but by the end of the chewing out, Jonah is clearly cowed.
I remember that one. But that was just one instance. In BHD, the rangers fought against grown up men.

But yeah, I am sure that ordinary soldiers have seen child soldiers but didn't have a chance to kill them.

In the meantime, I await to see the M2 machine gun on Shisho's pick up turn the CRV into nothing.

Tags
action, gunfights, seinen