AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-06-04, 21:16   Link #1
hollowification

Send a message via MSN to hollowification
The Sims 3

the sims 3 has finally arrive has anyone played it i have and had experience difficulty with game including crashing freezing and inter loop of sound

i mean this whole lot different to the previous sims game
Old 2009-06-04, 21:21   Link #2
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I have played The Sims 2 before EA decided to put their Securom DRM on Bon Voyage Expansion Pack and I stopped playing ever since. The Sims 2 is a addicting game and spent hours playing it during my high school career before dropping it in senior year.

I will probably get it later since I heard they got rid of the DRM (hopefully), but I already have a computer that will run Sims 3 at high settings with no problems.
Old 2009-06-04, 21:22   Link #3
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

which age would best suit 18-21? Adult or Young Adult?
Old 2009-06-09, 20:38   Link #4
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
which age would best suit 18-21? Adult or Young Adult?
Young Adult, definitely.
And I got the Sims 3. It's alright so far, only been playing for 2 days. :P
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 21:31   Link #5
Marion
The Great Dine

I got it on release day. Here are some things for you to know of:

1) Neighborhood and Households:
You really need to read the manual and help guides for this, since you won't get it. Your town is a giant town but when you save it doesn't save the lot - rather it saves your entire town as one game, with you controlling only one lot. It isn't the same as in Sims 2 when you just enter one of the three towns and pick what lot you want to go to. I don't know why they made it like that but I think it has to do with the fact that the sims in the town, whether you control them or not, are always progressing without you. Example: One day I saw the Goth family, nice and fresh, and about a week in the game later I see them as old people and they have an extra child

2) Buying and Buying:
Now this is a big change, because the buying system is different. Now you can buy books to read and you have to buy the books you can learn skills from. Instead of just cleaning, cooking and mechanical you now have Charisma, Fishing, Logic and even Gardening. There are also different levels of books. The first book is level 1-3, the second is 4-6 and so forth. Grocery shopping is changed too.

3) Personality Traits:
Biggest thing to the game are traits. Traits determine how your sim will act around others and every trait has different specialties to them. Flirty sims are more likely to be successful with flirts, Workaholics love to go to work and there is the ever popular Evil trait that makes you...well evil.

4) Moodlets and Meters:
Whenever you do something or not do something you have moodlets. Moodlets express how the sim feels at the time the moodlet shows up and the moodlet itself tells you how long that mood lasts. Personality traits also make new moodlets that are unique to the sims that have said trait (when good kissers kiss your sim, for example, the sim has a moodlet that states they had a good kiss). Moodlets directly influence your mood meter. I should mention that keeping up a sim's mood is much easier now and the aspiration meter is gone from the gameplay.

5) Opportunities and Challenges:
Sometimes your sim gets an opportunity to do something in town. These opportunities can influence your work meter (also easier to increase), your skills and even relationships. And at times when you move a family to a certain lot you get a challenge from that lot. I remember when I moved my new family to this lot and the challenge was that the house was built over an Indian burial ground, so it was haunted. You can actually talk to ghosts now and build relationships with them too.

6) Create your Style:
Stylizing things in the game is one of my favorite parts. You can change hair color and it's more multilayered now, change clothing color, change furniture and house color and more. It really makes for individualizing with the sim and the house.

There's a lot more than these six points, but the points I outlined are major parts of beginning the game and learning how to adjust to it.

Overall: Although it does get confusing from time to time, once you get use to it the game is pretty fun. It's the standard sim game yes, but it adds much more to do than previous games. I can't even imagine what they'll put into the expansion packs for them, because of how much is already included, but I can only hope to see good things from it.

I give it an 8.5/10. Despite delays (originally it was slated for a February release) it was well worth the wait.

EDIT: And as far as age goes I say 14+ can play the game. It's mostly rated for Teen because of the "WooHoo" option and pregnancy stuff. Not something for kids who want to believe children come from the stork
Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-10, 10:54   Link #6
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I finally got Sims 3 a few days ago, this week and installed it on my Macbook Pro... This is what I noticed:
- Sims 3 is less laggy than Sims 2, probably because it take advantage of dual core, which Sims 2 couldn't which caused it to lag like crazy. Also, the graphics is a big improvement
- Sims 3 game play improved over Sims 2... You don't have to worry about wants and fears which affect the Sim's overall feelings.
- Like mentioned before, you have to go to the map in order to play a different lot... unlike Sims 2... and don't use the moveobjects on to delete the sim, it will remove the sim from that lot permanently.

Overall, Sims 3 is pretty good game so far... but I'm waiting for people to make more mods so it will become more enjoyable.
Old 2009-06-10, 11:44   Link #7
Sugar_Prayer
The Awesome One

Sims 3 is alright. I played it at a friends' house and the graphics are pretty good, but I don't see much difference from the other games. (I'm not really a rabid sims fan, so I don't really play the games that often, So I wouldn't really know if its the same-- or completely different! XD)
Sugar_Prayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-10, 19:46   Link #8
Lesca

Been playing it now for a few days, having played both the sims 1 and 2 I think this is a good edition to the series.
If I was to compare it to the sims 2 base game, I think I might have enjoyed the sims 2 a little more, mainly because it was such a jump from the sims 1 and I thought it was pretty easy to get into. Some parts of the game feel kinda fiddly to get my sims to do what I want but I'm hoping mods will fix most of that.
Graphics wise i think the scenery, buildings, etc look really good but i'm not that keen on how the sims themselves look, haven't really been able to yet make the sims look the way i'd like, but still nice.

I both look forward to and dread the Expansions, poor computer is going to love them
Old 2009-06-10, 19:55   Link #9
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

I only played Sims 3 for a little bit... Mainly because I have to override the disc check since uhhh.. My laptop doesn't meet a few minimum requirements

Even when it's really... Not good quality it's still fun to play for a bit. I need to get a better laptop though.
Old 2009-06-10, 20:02   Link #10
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

I might get it if it's as moddable as Sims2, because I want Touhou skins for people.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-10, 20:12   Link #11
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichihara Asako View Post
I might get it if it's as moddable as Sims2, because I want Touhou skins for people.
Well, the game's only been out for weeks, so there's no way the Sims 3 mod community has gotten big yet. But Sims 3 is already rather moddable as is - you get tons more choices of skin color, facial structure, body type, etc. But for Touhou clothes, not sure if you can mesh clothes in-game, probably not. So you'll probably want to wait until the community gets bigger. Give it a year or two.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-10, 20:27   Link #12
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

There are already few mods out there like make skill building alot faster or enable more cheat options... but I have played a few hours more of Sims 3, it's still pretty good... but unlike Sims 2, you can't see inside the shops or restaurants.
Old 2009-06-10, 20:29   Link #13
krisslanza

You could make some pretty good versions of Touhou characters if you wanted. Clothing is color customizable so you might be able to make some... Decent copies of some of their outfits maybe.

Maybe eventually some actual copies but for now? Nothing.
Old 2009-06-11, 12:37   Link #14
Sugar_Prayer
The Awesome One

I played Sims 3 again at my friends' house and made a character from my favorite videogame!! YESH!!! So awesome! They had the perfect outfit for him!! Iiiiiii~!!!! So happy with this new game!!!
Sugar_Prayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 12:42   Link #15
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Anyone feel annoyed at the slow "Ultra Speed" mode? I wish they have something that can pass time faster, as I have to read my book every time my Sims is sleeping.
Old 2009-06-11, 14:10   Link #16
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Anyone feel annoyed at the slow "Ultra Speed" mode? I wish they have something that can pass time faster, as I have to read my book every time my Sims is sleeping.
Yeah I noticed that it's a lot slower than before :U Before an hour would pass by in about a second but now it takes a good 30 seconds for one hour to pass, which is pretty slow when you're considering how long the sim needs to sleep.
Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 18:54   Link #17
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

That's why the first thing I do is saving up money and buy the best bed as soon as possible (Which still takes like 6 hours for fully rested sleep).
Aside from that, I'm pretty pleased with everything else.
Old 2009-06-11, 20:09   Link #18
krisslanza

Time moves 'slower' probably because time isn't just speeding up YOUR Sim... It's speeding up every single Sim in your neighborhood.
Old 2009-06-11, 21:03   Link #19
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
You know I loved the sims since SIMS 1 in 2000 until i've hooked up & played SIMS 2 plus all of the expansion packs that I have until I'm hooked up & Play SIMS 3 with no problems after i've upgraded the RAM (up to 3GB).
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-12, 05:32   Link #20
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

I got it the other day and have only played it a little on my friends computer so far and it's quite fun, it definately seems easier to maintain then the Sims 2, on an indivdual household level at least. I have the distinct impression that you are meant to play it on a neighbourhood scale manipulating multiple households at the same time, if you can keep up. But that's that's my impression from only a limited period of play and reading the manual. I really do like the 'little' changes they made, such as the moodlets they are kind of amusing.