AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2023-09-30, 07:47   Link #61
nojay
Scanlator

I spotted the running gag from the manga, based on Frieren's inability to avoid Mimics due to her passion for grimoires and spells, where she occasionally ends up half-consumed by piles of books or stuck head-first in a bush.
Old 2023-09-30, 07:51   Link #62
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryllharu View Post
One of the things this series has done really well is just go with a montage to portray the passage of time. The evocative music does all the work.

The series knows that dialogue isn't always needed, and that's lovely.
I just realised that this series is reminding me of Yokohama Kaidishi Kikou which is also about an immortal being watching the world change around her. The YKK OAVs had Choro Club writing and performing the music that filled in a lot of the silent dialogue-free interludes.
Old 2023-09-30, 08:01   Link #63
ryllharu

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojay View Post
I just realised that this series is reminding me of Yokohama Kaidishi Kikou which is also about an immortal being watching the world change around her. The YKK OAVs had Choro Club writing and performing the music that filled in a lot of the silent dialogue-free interludes.
Yes! It also reminds me of a cross between Violet Evergarden's slow and contemplative pace with the occasional emotional haymaker and Vivy (Tanezaki Atsumi using a similar tone in her portrayal certainly helps that comparison) with a mix of action and time's inevitable march.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-09-30, 08:27   Link #64
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I thought of YKK too, but there aren't many writers that can pull off what Ashinano does. He's a top .1% mangaka. I do worry this could slide down the "healing" rabbit hole and turn into a bit of a snooze, which YKK emphatically never did.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-09-30, 11:22   Link #65
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Watched ep 1.

I'm not enamored with the OP. It feels wrong for the series.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-09-30, 13:32   Link #66
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Did Frieren borrow that suitcase from Violet Evergarden?

How come Himmel shrank so much in height because he aged? I'm maybe an inch or two shorter at 73 than I was at 25, but elderly Himmel lost a good foot or two.

After reading the reviews I expected to be more blown away by this series. It's good, but not amazing.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-09-30, 14:00   Link #67
ryllharu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
After reading the reviews I expected to be more blown away by this series. It's good, but not amazing.
That's where it should be. People may be prone to inflating the expectations of others on this series because it is the extremely rare (nowadays) non-isekai/LitRPG/VRMMO fantasy series. Frieren is a classical-themed fantasy adventure series.

Its strength is in a slower execution to go with its central theme, a very strong sense of continuity aided by a generally soft magic system, competent but not overly detailed art so there's few swings in quality.

Don't set your expectations to stratospheric because people hail it as a complete masterpiece. It's Good, and that's okay.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-09-30, 18:47   Link #68
grecefar

this was pretty good, it gave me kino and majo no tabi feelings, but with more memories and there is a companion.

looking foward for more.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-09-30, 19:17   Link #69
Wandering Soul

Considering the synopsis for his series I was sort of concerned the tone for this series would be too heavy, but it actually hits a nice balance.
Old 2023-09-30, 20:01   Link #70
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

I think this series has expectation because it's an actual fantasy series. Not the modern isekai version which is utterly escapist, fulfilling power fantasies and embracing Truck-kun. Frieren pretty much forces you to confront inevitabilities and make the most of what you have while you can. And embracing making actual meaningful relationships. I didn't go into this thinking this would be a generational title. I just wanted things to actually matter for once in this setting/genre. And they are. I'll let it go what it wants to go.
Old 2023-09-30, 23:37   Link #71
Frontier

Quite a few fantasy shows focus on the adventures of the Hero and his party as they quest to take down the Demon King...but this one is set immediately afterwards, and chronicles not only the aftermath but the life after the end of such a journey for one elven mage, Frieren .

Madhouse really nailed it on the animation and direction level, and Evan Call also delivered on the music .

Honestly Yoasobi would not have been my first choice for the OP of this show, but compared to her usual music this feels at least like she tried something new even if it's not what I would have expected. More subdued, more melancholic. The visuals also really help sell it .

Atsumi Tanezaki knows how to voice cool or stoic beauties and Frieren is no exception, it also just makes the moments when she does get emotional (like Himmel's funeral) more poignant. Time for her flows very differently than for humans, or even compared to dwarves despite her relating to Eisen in that respect, to the point where she treated their 10 year journey as just a a simple adventure...yet realizing she cared about Himmel and wasted time she could've spent getting to know her makes her finally put things into perspective and sets off her core emotional arc .

I didn't expect Nobuhiko Okamoto as Himmel, let alone Old Man Himmel, but he did a great job here. Himmel the Hero may have had a high opinion of himself and quite the ego, but his heroism was sincere and that carried over to his party trying to pay his kindness back in their own way .

Heiter you corrupt priest! Pulled a perfect fast one on Frieren to get her to take in Fern! Should've expected as much from a guy who proudly bares it all even in old age .

Kana Ichinose as a purple-haired cutie! Fern is so likeable and surprisingly emotive despite how serious and mature she acts (also mature in the chest area, sorry Frieren). Her commitment to becoming proficient in magic for Heiter's sake after he took her in was so touching, as was when she spied on Frieren and realized she was shopping for a birthday gift. Also I thought it was neat how we saw the progression of her hair in the time montages .

I feel like Himmel was definitely very attached to Frieren. Compared to the rest of the party she seemed to be the one he most wanted to get through to or make her feel the moment they had together. I don't feel like he would've wanted to show the flowers of his homeland or put a flower crown on just anyone. Well, that and he straight up admitted he wanted to look up her skirt .

The only thing you can count on is Frieren getting caught in something or Fern's pouts being the cutest .

Don't you just hate it when you're a super powerful member of the Demon Lord's army and then get sealed up only to re-awaken and find out your signature magic has been studied and adapted to modern human magecraft in the time you've been asleep? Admittedly Qual acclimated well but he still got destroyed by his own spell courtesy of Frieren. Ouch .

You can definitely tell Frieren is trying to be more emotionally in-tune with Fern and appreciate the time they have together, and Fern appreciates the companionship...if not also having to basically take care of Frieren because she's so sloppy .

Oh hey, Atsuko Tanaka as Flamme, Frieren's legendary master !

So now Frieren is on another 10-year quest basically retracing her steps with Himmel and co., all so she can see Himmel again. I can't help but think about how Fern is going to look in 10 years .

The ED is an absolutely beautiful and stunning theme from Milet! Especially with the creative animation .
Old 2023-09-30, 23:40   Link #72
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
So now Frieren is on another 10-year quest basically retracing her steps with Himmel and co., all so she can see Himmel again. I can't help but think about how Fern is going to look in 10 years .
She would be on the verge of MILF mode.
Old 2023-10-01, 00:42   Link #73
Ragashingo
Happy Sphere

Quote:
The ED is an absolutely beautiful and stunning theme from Milet! Especially with the creative animation.
Yep! If anybody spots a creditless version... I want it badly. There's some lovely imagery in there. Especially that one gorgeous shot where Frieren made of wind blown flowers opens her eyes and is, unfortunately, covered in credit text...
Old 2023-10-01, 01:21   Link #74
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

YOASOBI is a terrible choice, but there is a reason (bad as is)

Spoiler for episode 1... to 4?:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-01, 02:24   Link #75
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

It seems the anime team really pays respect to Quvale and made him even better.
I highly approve of this decision.

Oh and it seems the audience here is overtly focused on the passage of time theme of the story.
But the culture of magic is another important theme of this title, as well as the habitat of the demons.
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-01, 03:00   Link #76
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmaster View Post
Oh and it seems the audience here is overtly focused on the passage of time theme of the story.
But the culture of magic is another important theme of this title, as well as the habitat of the demons.
Yes. There's more to this show than what we've seen so far.
Old 2023-10-01, 03:48   Link #77
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

It's only been 4 episodes. We've only just been able to see Frieren and Fern have a more balanced dynamic, an end goal established and barely started to move beyond the time factor. The third and fourth episodes gave the first glimpses of magic culture and we haven't delved into demon habitat yet. Which is fine - seeing Frieren develop into a more nuanced and likeable person who isn't too weighed down by regret has been more important so far.
Old 2023-10-01, 04:18   Link #78
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
YOASOBI is a terrible choice, but there is a reason (bad as is)

Spoiler for episode 1... to 4?:
The reason why the first episode is a 2 hour special is the same reason why Oshi no Ko had an extended first episode: this was only the prologue in the manga.

It was important to show the lasting impression Himmel left on her character, but the main story is about what happens after he's already passed away. If the episodes were split normally, anyone who isn't familiar with the source material would have assumed that Himmel would be here to stay.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-01, 04:26   Link #79
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

I can understand why some people hate the opening but I still don't agree with it. I find both the song and video pretty fitting.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-01, 05:25   Link #80
Tenzen12

It has good lyrics, but genre itself is bad fit.

Tags
adventure, fantasy