AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-03-18, 15:21   Link #4721
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Actually, "yaoi" art style can be really pretty. Witness Seven Days. Or, simpler yet quite pleasant, something like Kigurumi Planet. For the most part the character designs are less overtly "moe" but retain the stylized beauty. They are also noticeably different from mainstream shoujo style.

Or it can be really ugly, too. I don't like the big jawed yet effeminate male character styles myself.

Back to the question though. I'm not an artist so take this as hearsay, but I was told by my artist friends that the way to improve and imitate a certain style is to copy, copy, copy. Trace 'em, copy 'em, experiment, do what you will. For practicing that's perfectly legit. Just don't publish anything traced as if it's one's own work.

The magic how-to book doesn't exist IMO. The truly important difference between the two links you have up there isn't "style" so much as skill.

You could always go ask those webcomic authors whose art gets drastically improved over time how theirs happen though (the other types, the consistently "simplistic" ones, don't count). Chapter one ugly-ass chicken scratch. Chapter two hundred beautiful people and complicated background art with sophisticated technique. Happens all the time.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-18, 19:58   Link #4722
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
He prolly meant Shoujo. It's easy not to make the distinction for guys
Eh no, I don't exactly mean shoujo because competing guys make for messy expressions, and in some cases overly-focused on just two characters (the male and female protagonists) only, thus it can be a little repetitive.

Yaoi, on the other hand, displays a wide range of facial features of different male characters. Though the storylines are often unrealistic and disgusting.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-29, 11:31   Link #4723
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Since Vampires burn in Sunlight and Moonlight is just Sun Light reflected off the Moons surface. Why doesn't Vampires burn in Moonlight?
Old 2011-03-29, 12:15   Link #4724
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Since Vampires burn in Sunlight and Moonlight is just Sun Light reflected off the Moons surface. Why doesn't Vampires burn in Moonlight?
Well "logically" I'd think it would be because reflected sun light doesn't carry nearly as much heat, or UV rays in it, and assuming one of those two causes them to "burn" then moonlight must have a low enough level to be safe .
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-30, 03:13   Link #4725
WordShaker
In scientific terms only.

Send a message via MSN to WordShaker
Blutz waves. All vampires, you see, are degraded Saiyans.
WordShaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-30, 03:25   Link #4726
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by wassupimviet View Post
Blutz waves. All vampires, you see, are degraded Saiyans.
That question made me think of something that crossed my mind earlier as well. Why do some interpretation of Vampires burn (or electrified in the case of Rosario+Vampire) in water? They drink blood, and blood has a pretty high water content. Why don't their stomachs burn from the inside?
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-30, 06:29   Link #4727
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
That question made me think of something that crossed my mind earlier as well. Why do some interpretation of Vampires burn (or electrified in the case of Rosario+Vampire) in water? They drink blood, and blood has a pretty high water content. Why don't their stomachs burn from the inside?
Typical water is closer to “holy” water then blood. It’s not the water but rather the symbolism; same with sunlight.
Old 2011-03-31, 04:18   Link #4728
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
If this were true then people would be able to get tanned when lying outside in the moonlight.
As for the water, yes it is symbolism. Normal water shouldn't hurt vampires however holy water does
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-31, 13:08   Link #4729
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Send a message via AIM to thevil1
It's true that moonlight is really sunlight "bouncing" off the moon, but it's hard to see using just moonlight unless it's a full moon and a really clear night. It's not strong enough to give a tan, so it wouldn't be strong enough to hurt a vampire.
Old 2011-03-31, 14:14   Link #4730
Tiberium Wolf

Is it true that stargate universe going to be axed at end of S2?

Last edited by Tiberium Wolf; 2011-04-01 at 07:06.
Tiberium Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-31, 17:48   Link #4731
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
Is it true that stargate universe going to axed at end of S2?
Apparently, that's what I heard too.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-02, 15:59   Link #4732
pancakes
*Author

How come most anime/manga/novel characters are depicted to have European features, even though their Asian?

(I have asked many of people this, but know one seems to know.)
pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-02, 16:13   Link #4733
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

European? Really? I don’t recall having big eyes, inexistent noses and so on. Unless you can elaborate, you are mistaken.
Old 2011-04-02, 16:21   Link #4734
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

well European have bigger eye than asian thought but not as big as anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancakes View Post
Usually, asians are dark skinned, dark haired, and have distinct eyes. Yet, in anime almost all the characters have blonde or brown hair, multi-colored eyes, and white.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Mukokuseki

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2011-04-03 at 05:15.
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-02, 16:36   Link #4735
pancakes
*Author

I understand this princible, but that doesn't apply to all anime. Yes, there are some where they have GOOFY hair, like pink or green or purple. But, a lot of anime sway toward reality. In making characters that actually resemble real races and people. Mukokuseki says that animes use a mix of everything and the unrealistic. While most animes, depict white characters, with REAL hair colors (like blonde,brown,red,black sometimes), with just un-asian features. WHO LIVE IN ASIA!! So if your gonna depict the real thing, why not?
Old 2011-04-02, 16:42   Link #4736
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
I understand this princible, but that doesn't apply to all anime. Yes, there are some where they have GOOFY hair, like pink or green or purple. But, a lot of anime sway toward reality. In making characters that actually resemble real races and people. Mukokuseki says that animes use a mix of everything and the unrealistic. While most animes, depict white characters, with REAL hair colors (like blonde,brown,red,black sometimes), with just un-asian features. WHO LIVE IN ASIA!! So if your gonna depict the real thing, why not?
wait what?

anyway about character design. it all depend what manga/anime maker one really.

if they want to make it cute.white round face with big eye is a choice

if the want it to be realistic. they can go to that why as well. (marvel anime, monster)

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-02, 17:03   Link #4737
pancakes
*Author

(sighs) Forget it.

(question still left unanswered)
Old 2011-04-02, 23:50   Link #4738
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
(sighs) Forget it.
Uh, what. Their features aren't Caucasian if by Caucasian you mean to imply Japanese anime character designers are a bunch of self-hating Europhiles. It's really just the art style, and that's that.

If you must trace the art style's history I suppose one could "blame" it on Osamu Tezuka. Tezuka was very heavily influenced by Western, usually American, comics of his era, including Walt Disney's works. His early works were drawn in styles which were extremely reminiscent of the early Western newspaper comics. They were also more "cartoon-y" than what we are used to today.

His style evolved, though, and so did the rest of the industry. That evolution eventually leads up to the current dominant style(s). I don't think they really consider what they're doing to be "whitening"; it's just Western misinterpretation. You can't separate the "unrealistic" features and the "white skin" and then single out the "white skin" part because they're all part of the package of what we see as the "anime style" drawings.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2011-04-03 at 05:28. Reason: Sorry, had to remove the last bit.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 00:01   Link #4739
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
(sighs) Forget it.

(question still left unanswered)
Both Irenicus and RRW answered the question and, of course, 5 minutes with google would also answer it ---. I suppose I could pull out a dozen "western" cartoons with bizarre interpretations of human beings -- the answer is simply that the art methods employed help to distinguish characters. The rest is variation on art style (like how the comic Zits varies from the comic Dilbert).

There are anime made (semi-realistic) with "black hair, tan/light skin" features (usually seinen or shoujo)... and it can be difficult to tell characters apart at times. Three or four characters with tall slender figures and long black hair in a drawn medium and the confusion is easy "even for Japanese".
Old 2011-04-03, 12:52   Link #4740
pancakes
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Uh, what. Their features aren't Caucasian if by Caucasian you mean to imply Japanese anime character designers are a bunch of self-hating Europhiles. It's really just the art style, and that's that.

If you must trace the art style's history I suppose one could "blame" it on Osamu Tezuka. Tezuka was very heavily influenced by Western, usually American, comics of his era, including Walt Disney's works. His early works were drawn in styles which were extremely reminiscent of the early Western newspaper comics. They were also more "cartoon-y" than what we are used to today.

His style evolved, though, and so did the rest of the industry. That evolution eventually leads up to the current dominant style(s). I don't think they really consider what they're doing to be "whitening"; it's just Western misinterpretation. You can't separate the "unrealistic" features and the "white skin" and then single out the "white skin" part because they're all part of the package of what we see as the "anime style" drawings.
You know, forget it usually means forget it, but if you want to continue the conversation we could.

If what you're saying is true, then that would make a lot of sense. So it's just a style that was adapted a long time ago, and was carried on today. And has become the dominant style.

Also for the record, I can separate or single out anything I want to. I'm the audience. As the audience I'm entitled to opinions and thoughts. I'm sorry I'm not a blind tool that kisses Japan's/anime's butt. If I see something I don't like or doesn't make sense I'll say something.

<-United States
Freedom of Speech
(Lastly I was not implying what you said, do not put words in my mouth.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Both Irenicus and RRW answered the question and, of course, 5 minutes with google would also answer it ---. I suppose I could pull out a dozen "western" cartoons with bizarre interpretations of human beings -- the answer is simply that the art methods employed help to distinguish characters. The rest is variation on art style (like how the comic Zits varies from the comic Dilbert).

There are anime made (semi-realistic) with "black hair, tan/light skin" features (usually seinen or shoujo)... and it can be difficult to tell characters apart at times. Three or four characters with tall slender figures and long black hair in a drawn medium and the confusion is easy "even for Japanese".
5 minutes with google could get you a lot. And that's basic knowledge. You do not have to point that out to me, and in doing so that's extremely rude. Also RRW didn't answer my question. Only the questioner can truly tell you if their question was answered. So don't sit their and try to tell my what's right and wrong or what's the answer and whats not. This isn't a debate,you're not my mother.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2011-04-03 at 15:45.

Tags
problem, q&a, serious