AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-22, 17:23   Link #1301
encia

Any ideas why Fold quartz glows during Sheryl's singing....
Old 2008-08-22, 18:23   Link #1302
FLCL
I've been Kawarolled

Send a message via AIM to FLCL
sheryl is just too awesome for words, i dont even know how to put it into words after episode 20

just wow
Old 2008-08-22, 23:32   Link #1303
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

MaiHikari, your post is EPIC. basically outlines why we absolutely love Sheryl here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by encia View Post
Any ideas why Fold quartz glows during Sheryl's singing....
probably because Sheryl's singing can manipulate folds as well, but Grace missed out on some details back in the day.
Old 2008-08-22, 23:43   Link #1304
SymphonicRain

It could simply be symbolic that her earings flashes when it succeeds in bonding with the people she sings for.
Old 2008-08-23, 01:46   Link #1305
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiHikari View Post
Seeing no one has made a tribute to the Galactic Fairy in her own thread, I'll start it.

I respectfully disagree here. ...But she rose above her own selfishness for the sake of others. That's love.
YES! All that justification you just did, and the last sentence was exactly my point! If you think we disagree, then we part ways I guess... I see her being galvanized by this epic battle, and coming to the realization of her part in the universe through it. I do see her evolving, but not being aware of her place and thus her growth of consciousness. I cheered as she looked down at Nanase and across at the other refugees and finally melted that hard exterior, reached out past the "stage" and stepped in to her true self. Her true "being". This is THE big point of her character even being in the series and Kawamori and staff worked HARD to bring it to a head as they did... If everyone else wants to say she's been all cool and growing all along, but deny the true gravity of this moment, writing it off as nothing more than "her greatest moment of awesomeness," then whatever. You'll have really missed the whole point of her journey and that's a lost lesson. Which is sad really, because its an opportunity to "get it" for yourself.

The subtle subtext is everything, not what's on the surface.
Old 2008-08-23, 01:47   Link #1306
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymphonicRain View Post
It could simply be symbolic that her earings flashes when it succeeds in bonding with the people she sings for.
Read my comment above and you'll understand why the earring is glowing. I'll also bet that it will directly relate to her singing Aimo later...

...She may even cure herself.

Last edited by Mughi; 2008-08-23 at 02:08.
Old 2008-08-23, 02:39   Link #1307
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mughi View Post
YES! All that justification you just did, and the last sentence was exactly my point! If you think we disagree, then we part ways I guess... I see her being galvanized by this epic battle, and coming to the realization of her part in the universe through it. I do see her evolving, but not being aware of her place and thus her growth of consciousness. I cheered as she looked down at Nanase and across at the other refugees and finally melted that hard exterior, reached out past the "stage" and stepped in to her true self. Her true "being". This is THE big point of her character even being in the series and Kawamori and staff worked HARD to bring it to a head as they did... If everyone else wants to say she's been all cool and growing all along, but deny the true gravity of this moment, writing it off as nothing more than "her greatest moment of awesomeness," then whatever. You'll have really missed the whole point of her journey and that's a lost lesson. Which is sad really, because its an opportunity to "get it" for yourself.

Oh, I get that she has decided that she will now sing for the sake of the people who are desperate and afraid. I think we´ll have to wait for the next three episodes to see how this all plays out, however. Until this new direction for her has been firmly established, it can always happen that other stuff takes precedence in the story.

In any case, unless she dies it´s Sheryl X Alto at this point. That has been made quite clear this episode.
Old 2008-08-23, 08:02   Link #1308
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Oh, I get that she has decided that she will now sing for the sake of the people who are desperate and afraid. I think we´ll have to wait for the next three episodes to see how this all plays out, however. Until this new direction for her has been firmly established, it can always happen that other stuff takes precedence in the story.

In any case, unless she dies it´s Sheryl X Alto at this point. That has been made quite clear this episode.
Could it be perhaps that a singer is more powerful once they have a reason to sing that is something other themselves? I think that's true. It was the same reason Aimo was so powerful for Ranka. We saw this episode the moment she lost that reason larger than herself her power faded.
Old 2008-08-23, 08:07   Link #1309
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy0097 View Post
Could it be perhaps that a singer is more powerful once they have a reason to sing that is something other themselves? I think that's true. It was the same reason Aimo was so powerful for Ranka. We saw this episode the moment she lost that reason larger than herself her power faded.
Well, actually I think her power to enrage the Vajra surged to unprecedented levels.
Old 2008-08-23, 08:13   Link #1310
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Well, actually I think her power to enrage the Vajra surged to unprecedented levels.
Haha har har. Obviously this was the first time it happened this way. I am wondering though if her emotional state at the time worked them into a frenzy or if their swarm nature was natural and she had nothing to do with it. Nothing yet in the anime to prove either way. Only speculation at this point. I'm also wondering if she has the power to control Vajra and if so if this swarm on Frontier will be used as a weapon against outside Varja. Kind of like a Queen's Guard elite force.
Old 2008-08-23, 08:41   Link #1311
magnuskn

Quote:
Haha har har. Obviously this was the first time it happened this way. I am wondering though if her emotional state at the time worked them into a frenzy or if their swarm nature was natural and she had nothing to do with it. Nothing yet in the anime to prove either way. Only speculation at this point. I'm also wondering if she has the power to control Vajra and if so if this swarm on Frontier will be used as a weapon against outside Varja. Kind of like a Queen's Guard elite force.
Seeing how Grace had her "emotion index meter" show Rankas index go into the negatives, I´d say it was because of Rankas emotional state. It´s not outright stated ( waiting for the gg sub to download to confirm ), but very heavily implied.
Old 2008-08-23, 11:02   Link #1312
MaiHikari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mughi View Post

I said:

Quote:
But she rose above her own selfishness for the sake of others. That's love.
I didn't say it's in ep 20 that she did it. She's done it many times before. The examples I gave are but a few. Even with Alto, she chose not to tell him about her condition for his own sake. If she was selfish, she would have used it on him so he'd spend the remainder of her life with her. But she didn't, because she didn't want him to get hurt. All these selfless acts occured before 20 airs.

What she overcame in 20 is not selfishness, because she's done it before. It was overcoming the thought of dying.
Old 2008-08-23, 14:50   Link #1313
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
It's a collective mind. They are directly influenced by Ranka's singing and from what Grace was analyzing, that was the case.
Old 2008-08-23, 15:22   Link #1314
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

thinking about it more, i think it would be a lot more powerful if Sheryl and Alto died together at the end. doubtful it'll happen, but Sheryl seems on track to kick it from her virus. (but god, do i wish it doesn't happen..)
Old 2008-08-23, 15:29   Link #1315
cerrian

Considering that the V-Type virus and the Vajra were both being researched by the 117th Fleet, and that Ranka was also on that fleet, then only way for Sheryl to survive is via Ranka. Otherwise Sheryl is on track for buying the farm and giving us a tragic ending.

My money is on Ranka rescuing Sheryl and at the same time growing out of her "Alto-kun! Alto-kun!" phase by sacrificing for her romantic rival.

...or Sheryl wasn't such a failed experiment like Grace thought and the earring is more than just a simple earring.
Old 2008-08-23, 20:21   Link #1316
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
Considering that the V-Type virus and the Vajra were both being researched by the 117th Fleet, and that Ranka was also on that fleet, then only way for Sheryl to survive is via Ranka. Otherwise Sheryl is on track for buying the farm and giving us a tragic ending.

My money is on Ranka rescuing Sheryl and at the same time growing out of her "Alto-kun! Alto-kun!" phase by sacrificing for her romantic rival.

...or Sheryl wasn't such a failed experiment like Grace thought and the earring is more than just a simple earring.
I don't understand V-Type viruses much, but assuming what you say is correct...

Then yes, Ranka will kill herself for Sheryl's sake, if it could save her. Ranka is doomed to die anyhow. She's got something inside her and is in some way connected to the Vajra on a genetic front, and there are people who apparently know it. That right there is a red flag for character death. When a character is carrying something anomalous that belongs to the sentient and parasitic-esque unintelligent enemy species, that pretty much says, "this character is going to die!"

The only way I could ever possibly get over the fact that Ranka is quite possibly the most annoying and needy character I've ever seen (to the point where she'll endanger the people around her willingly), is if she saved Sheryl from her demise.

As far as Sheryl having a voice of power over the Vajra, I'd say that's quite impossible, since she isn't a Vajra Queen (apparently, that's what Ranka is. They call her the, "Little Queen," after all.. Though that could be because of her idol status, but I highly doubt that). Ranka sings for people and gives them a false hope that she can quell the Vajra and their anger. Sheryl sings and gives people true hope and willingness, and raises morale genuinely. When Sheryl sings for the military, the military gets pumped up and starts slaughterhousing the Vajra.

When Ranka sings... Depending on her mood the slaughterhouse could go the other way.
Old 2008-08-23, 20:22   Link #1317
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
When Ranka sings... Depending on her mood the slaughterhouse could go the other way.
Which is why it's important to keep her happy.

Otherwise your dead meat.
Old 2008-08-23, 20:55   Link #1318
Joachim
et tu, brute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
i dont know but i just have to nod and laugh at that one...
Old 2008-08-23, 21:02   Link #1319
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Which is why it's important to keep her happy.

Otherwise your dead meat.
Yes, and lets ignore everyone else's feelings. Its how she wants it, when she wants it and where she wants it.

Dokun dokun dokun~ I sing for Alto kun~

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-08-23, 21:25   Link #1320
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Yes, and lets ignore everyone else's feelings. Its how she wants it, when she wants it and where she wants it.

Dokun dokun dokun~ I sing for Alto kun~

- Tak
She's selfish.

People who would put their needs above people's lives don't deserve to live. Even I wouldn't put my needs and feelings above the lives of the masses.

Pretty much goes like this: Ranka wants Alto... If he doesn't give himself up to her, she wont sing and people will die! Not that it matters because she makes things worse by being heartless anyhow due to her emotionless singing.

Where as Sheryl puts others above herself. I think that's one of the significant messages as far as romance goes brought by Episode 20. Ranka needs to be slapped silly and convinced to try and save lives. Sheryl does it by reflex and makes Alto go on without her for Ranka, Michael, and Klan-Klan's sake. She's going to save Nanase.

She saves Nanase.

Way to go Sheryl!

Tags
characters