AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2006-03-28, 22:12   Link #1
MeganeShounen
Huh?

Trading Quality for Size

I'm currently having problems watching DLed series with my relatively small PC. It has sufferable stats (194 MBs of RAM, anyone?), and only has a simple 10 GB hard drive. I don't have any problems with watching clips with sizes lower than 30 MBs, but any higher, and my player goes laggy.

I was wondering if there was a way to compress video, even at the cost of making the video's quality suffer. Or better yet, make the video smaller (in terms of normal screen size, not in MBs).
Old 2006-03-28, 22:41   Link #2
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

I think you can try compress to ipod video and watch in itunes. not very good quality but the size is much smaller.
Old 2006-03-29, 00:17   Link #3
Mirai
Sata Andagi!

Unless you are trying to play h264 codec you shouldnt have a problem with playback on any old system. Hard drive size doesnt matter unless its completely full and your ram is fine. What player are you using, what kind of videos are you playing? If you cant even watch an episode there is no hope for you to re-encode anything, so dont even think about that. Your computer is probably full of junk on it.
Old 2006-03-29, 08:27   Link #4
MeganeShounen
Huh?

I'm just watching simple AVI files on my PC. The sort that you leech off BT. Usual is Media Player (9).

Junk in my PC?
*looks at his J-Pop MP3 stash*

... That certainly needs trimming.

BTW, I was planning on using another PC on the compression. I just need a program to decrease the video's resolution (aha, I forgot to use that word in my first post) to probably shrink the file size.
Old 2006-03-29, 09:01   Link #5
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
10 gigs... and you download anime to it?
Fragmentation Glore.

Two things you could try to fix this issue.

There should be an option in your bittorrent client to save an empty file. So what it does is automaticaly writes the whole file full of random values, and as you download it fills in the gap with the real data. This can have a nice effect on fragmentation. (If you tell me which client you use I could tell you which option it is to do this)

Another thing you can do is Defragment!
Right click on the harddrive in my"computer, properties, tools, defragment.
Not the best tool, but its better than nothing.

Next Data back up... If you want to save a series from deletion get a dvd burner!
They are 30-40 bucks for the drive another 20 for 50 disks.
www.newegg.com Look for dual burners format like NEC or liteon. Both of those are good brands.
Dual Layer probably wont be wise till the prices go down for individual disks.

Brand for DVDs blanks, I've had good experiences with TDK. DVD brand is important because they are not all built the same. In this case to last

It doesnt really matter which format you get - , +
Personaly i use + since some person on the internet said its better for Data backup.

There you have it...
Old 2006-03-29, 10:13   Link #6
Mirai
Sata Andagi!

Well your issue seems to be internal to the system.. I dont believe it is any of the hardware unless your hard drive is extremely full. Make sure it isnt.

Secondly, are you one of those people that have dozens of programs running at once? You know, the taskbar has so many icons that it takes up half the screen... What is your CPU Usage at idle?

Try media player classic.. cant hurt to give it a shot.

Lastly, it might be some sort of messed up codec you have.
Old 2006-04-01, 12:22   Link #7
brood-faun

Since, it seems like an old PC..check what video card do you have? I used to use 8 mb ati video card but it couldn't handle 30 fps encodes. Hopefully, you're not using winxp OS. Try using videolan or BSplayer as they relative use low cpu power compared to other players.