Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2018-01-01, 15:20   Link #121
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
That movie had its share of funny moments, a handful of exciting ones, but as with TFA, I wish they'd gone elsewhere for that trilogy. Having the good guys on the other side of asymmetric warfare, or the balkanization of the galaxy, anything but the puny resistance fleeing before the great Empire. Again.

You call that female empowerment? I saw it as the opposite. First, if she's a vice admiral, why is she wearing that flowy dress instead of a military uniform? Most importantly, why can't Poe just accept her authority? Why should she have to justify her decisions to him?
Spoiler for spoils:
Old 2018-01-02, 01:58   Link #122
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Spoiler for spoils:
Actually, what we know is that she didn't tell everyone. It's possible she told the senior staff, which Poe wasn't. Who is he to demand explanations from, again, a vice-admiral? Why does she need his approval? (Speaking of getting people killed, see how little consequences there were when Poe disobeyed direct orders and did just that?)

And when they got tracked, wouldn't it be natural to assume the possibility of a spy and keep things on a need to know basis?
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-02, 12:14   Link #123
Ryuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
I watched this yesterday, so here's my take on it. Part VIII is not a bad movie, even by Star Wars standards, but it has a certain quality about it that makes you wonder...
Spoiler for Comments and questions on movie scenes:
I'll try and answer some of the questions.

Spoiler for The Last Jedi:
Ryuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-02, 16:19   Link #124
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Thanks for the reply, I'd missed a few things. Still not really convinced about #2, but I'll take what I have
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-02, 20:22   Link #125
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I would think that, like in the EU, Luke doesn't know the old rules, and just does whatever until issue come up for him to make new rules that are like the old rules, or are just similar. (Or finds out about the rules later from one of his searchs for lost Jedi lore).

People like Kanan or Ahsoka would have been helpful in knowing some of these things. Just any surviving adawan really to give pointers.
Old 2018-01-03, 18:00   Link #126
Slayerx

Quote:
Spoiler for spoils:
Spoiler:
Old 2018-01-04, 01:45   Link #127
MCAL

https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/...disney-w514793

I certainly didn't expect this.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-04, 02:43   Link #128
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
MrTerrorist actually posted that on the previous page already.
Old 2018-01-04, 16:31   Link #129
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Actually, what we know is that she didn't tell everyone. It's possible she told the senior staff, which Poe wasn't. Who is he to demand explanations from, again, a vice-admiral? Why does she need his approval? (Speaking of getting people killed, see how little consequences there were when Poe disobeyed direct orders and did just that?)

And when they got tracked, wouldn't it be natural to assume the possibility of a spy and keep things on a need to know basis?

I don't think you two are seeing what the new movies are doing even tho its pretty obvious. But it's okay. I dislike just about everything about this movie and you two like it. so we'll agree to disagree.
Old 2018-01-05, 03:20   Link #130
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
I don't think you two are seeing what the new movies are doing even tho its pretty obvious. But it's okay. I dislike just about everything about this movie and you two like it. so we'll agree to disagree.
It's not about "like" or "dislike". I just don't think it's "empowering" for a female leader to need the validation of a male who's nominally much lower than her on the ladder and an insubordinate screw-up. Especially when you consider the end of the movie.

Spoiler for end:

(Also, it's funny that you'd assume my saying "it's not empowering" is a defense of the movie.)
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-05, 16:23   Link #131
Seafoam
『Lolimancer』
*Graphic Designer

Welp I've rewatched it, and my conclusion on the movie is that it represents the best and worst of the franchise.

Spoiler:
Seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-05, 17:49   Link #132
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Snoke literally explained why Rey was so strong. Why do people have such an issue with Rey being so good anyway, no one cared when Luke instantly became an expert X-Wing pilot.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-05, 17:59   Link #133
Seafoam
『Lolimancer』
*Graphic Designer

I'd like to think learning to use the force is a bit harder than becoming a pilot but alas it's not nearly as big an issue for me as it is others.
Old 2018-01-05, 20:33   Link #134
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafoam View Post
Welp I've rewatched it, and my conclusion on the movie is that it represents the best and worst of the franchise.

Spoiler:
Quoi?

I... I need something more here. I cannot wrap my head around this sentence, acknowledging that I snipped off the second half of it. Did you type the wrong episode number there?

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-05, 20:34   Link #135
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I remember the playgrounds of the early '80s. There were the boys that wanted to be Han Solo, the boys that wanted to use the Force like Luke, a mix of girls that wanted to either be the Princess or a Force using Leia. And there were a few that would rather be Darth Vader. I wanted to be the Force user and the girl I was interested in wanted to be a Force using, lightsaber weilding Leia. We had fun as seven and eight year olds.
Old 2018-01-05, 22:09   Link #136
Seafoam
『Lolimancer』
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Quoi?

I... I need something more here. I cannot wrap my head around this sentence, acknowledging that I snipped off the second half of it. Did you type the wrong episode number there?
A strange opinion, yes. But for my tastes I'd like people to acknowledge how they got into that mess. Sure you don't need a timeskip or anything but it was something that I always felt about it. I can't explain it well but virtually every Star Wars movie ends in a way that leaves me hanging in an odd way. I was hoping the new trilogy would give that but it seems they want to use this trilogy instead to setup the future of the franchise instead. I sorta worded that wrong though, because at least back then all the characters were wrapped up, it's only after the prequels that I felt balance hadn't been brought back.
Old 2018-01-06, 19:49   Link #137
Blueknight78

ok. i'm really disappointed with this movie
- too much "SJW" with "womans being badass" and males being idiots, to be clear i'm not a sexist i love strong females characters but i do hate movies/animes/cartoons/hq/novels/whatever material, which in order to make "one side badass need to make the other look dumbass" in the same way i hate too feminist or too feminist friendly movies i do hate too sexist ones.

what happened with the old everyone is badass where we have badass womans and badass males at same times without need to make the other side look soo dumb(looking to almost all the male characters which where rater pure idiots and do a lot of mess specially the 'good ones".

flin plot was really terrible, all the totally filler casine without really any purporse because in the end they could not get what they wanted and it not even was needed and the only thing they did was make the other side find about the old womans leaders plans.

too much "gray zone", like hey not everyone is totally good or evil, yeah i know and you don't need to make like many characters behavious like that to show me.

luke was terrible, i was expectating a awesome action with him before he dies but soo underplayed i really agree when the actor posted which he also don't liked his character(but later obvious was forced to change his opnion for the sake of "boss orders"

this serie have some good moment but the ammount of crap happening for me was bigg than the good ones.

now it's seen which anyone can use the "force" even a little kid without any train can use, they really changed a lot the things, really disney is doing a crap damage on franchise with they polices.

i give it a 3 or 4/10 just for some action and some jokes which worked.

really it for me surprassed even the 1,2 and 3 episodes in being bad, because i even enjoied the 3 first episodes but so far the new trilogy is being terrible with a unecessary too OP main girl(mary sue), with a annoying emo villian, a crap "lord emperor which in the end was just that weak and bad, i really loved starwars and could keep watching the old ones : 1,2,3,4,5,6 and feel all the fun and everything while is being hard for me to stick which the damage disney is doing here.

My expectations for the episode 9 are really, really low now.
Old 2018-01-06, 19:57   Link #138
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
I have finally seen the film... and while not actually Bad, I'm on the side that feels this movie took what we loved about the OT and flushed it down the toilet. I'll need some time to organize all my thoughts coherently, but as of the moment, it can be summarized as "Rian Johnson shat upon a franchise that was beloved". The only good thing about it was the visuals; the storyline and other frustrations still have ym stomach turning.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-06, 20:05   Link #139
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafoam View Post
A strange opinion, yes. But for my tastes I'd like people to acknowledge how they got into that mess. Sure you don't need a timeskip or anything but it was something that I always felt about it. I can't explain it well but virtually every Star Wars movie ends in a way that leaves me hanging in an odd way. I was hoping the new trilogy would give that but it seems they want to use this trilogy instead to setup the future of the franchise instead. I sorta worded that wrong though, because at least back then all the characters were wrapped up, it's only after the prequels that I felt balance hadn't been brought back.
Okay, so, let me see if I understand this. By the end of Return you think that the character arcs were wrapped up, but only in the context of things we learned from the beginning of Episode IV to the end of Episode VI. It wasn't "final" in that we didn't know what *eventually* happened to the characters?

Is that basically it?

EDIT: On another note, the latest edition of Star Wars Insider came in the mail the other day. It's the TLJ issue, where they can talk about the movie since it's already released. I'll probably read it tomorrow. As the official rag of SW fandom, I cannot wait to see how they laud the film and Rian Johnson.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-07, 17:15   Link #140
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Spoiler:
Quite honestly,
Spoiler: