Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2016-02-11, 03:26   Link #41
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
I'm pretty sure most people try to keep the characters alive regardless perma death or not. Because even without that there long term consequences to deal with by neglecting them. Such as loss of exp and forced story participation of those particular characters later down the road. If those guys aren't up to snuff then you have major roadblock coming you way, where you would have grind excessively to get over. In some case even grinding won't such as in "points of no return".

I personally I feel like perm-death is more of a way artificially boosting difficulty rather than making something truly challenging. People are just reset if someone dies and trail & error their way through most obstacles anyway.
Are you kidding me? If there were no perma-death in Valkyria Chronicles or Fire Emblem, I would just bum-rush objectives Soviet Union style. Throw enough bodies at the enemy and they will eventually die out of pity for your abject desperation.
Old 2016-02-11, 04:30   Link #42
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HasuMasu View Post
I wasn't talking about graphics. It looks fun.

I couldn't really get into Chronicles, but this looks more accessible.
Maybe to you, to me the action part looks uninspired, nothing showed make me wanting to play the game.
FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-11, 13:49   Link #43
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
A demo video has been put on youtube, and to be really honest, the gameplay changes aren't exactly to my tastes...
I find myself in agreement. The aesthetics are good, and it migth turn out that the writers did a good job with the story and its presentation... but the actual gameplay, as noted, just doesn't seem to fit.

Perhaps the devs should take notes from The Division, which happens to be an action-RPG with third-person shooter mechanics wrapped around it. Below is gameplay taken from a promo event, where the attendees were given high-level operators (20 out of a possible 30 levels) and set loose on a particular mission.

Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-11, 15:01   Link #44
Aogami

I think the problem here is that so many people just can't get the idea out of their heads that this is supposed to be Valkyria Chronicles 4 despite the developers saying time and again that it is a spin off and not part of the chronicle series, just how pokemon mystery dungeon and pokemon shuffle aren't part of the main pokemon games.

But on to the main topic I think the gameplay definitely needs improves (which is the reason why this demo was for feedback purposes to begin with).

The guns definitely need a proper aiming mechanic and sacrifice speed for more effectiveness and don't let guns have unlimited bullets either but let them be more scarce and require the need to pillage ammo from enemies.

The CQC needs to either have a proper combo system or a type of arts system with cool down for skills and weak auto attacks similar to that of Xenoblade, because as it is now it's just pure button mashing.

You should also be able to change from guns to CQC on the fly whenever you want and remove the whole faze change as it just gets in the way.
Aogami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-11, 16:31   Link #45
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aogami View Post
I think the problem here is that so many people just can't get the idea out of their heads that this is supposed to be Valkyria Chronicles 4 despite the developers saying time and again that it is a spin off and not part of the chronicle series, just how pokemon mystery dungeon and pokemon shuffle aren't part of the main pokemon games.

But on to the main topic I think the gameplay definitely needs improves (which is the reason why this demo was for feedback purposes to begin with).

The guns definitely need a proper aiming mechanic and sacrifice speed for more effectiveness and don't let guns have unlimited bullets either but let them be more scarce and require the need to pillage ammo from enemies.

The CQC needs to either have a proper combo system or a type of arts system with cool down for skills and weak auto attacks similar to that of Xenoblade, because as it is now it's just pure button mashing.

You should also be able to change from guns to CQC on the fly whenever you want and remove the whole faze change as it just gets in the way.
IDK, to me the gameplay does not look polished and leaves much to be desired. I've never played any of these games and I don't find it appealing in gameplay. The Trailer and gameplay feels like two different games.

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Ravagerblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-11, 17:25   Link #46
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
I find myself in agreement. The aesthetics are good, and it migth turn out that the writers did a good job with the story and its presentation... but the actual gameplay, as noted, just doesn't seem to fit.

Perhaps the devs should take notes from The Division, which happens to be an action-RPG with third-person shooter mechanics wrapped around it. Below is gameplay taken from a promo event, where the attendees were given high-level operators (20 out of a possible 30 levels) and set loose on a particular mission.

I think a Valkyria shooter RPG would be pretty sweet.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-13, 16:03   Link #47
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
I think a Valkyria shooter RPG would be pretty sweet.
And to aid in such pondering I present this video covering the RPG portion of The Division's mechanics.

Old 2016-02-15, 10:27   Link #48
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
And to aid in such pondering I present this video covering the RPG portion of The Division's mechanics.
Just make a The Division Thread, hijacking another game thread to promote game is bananas.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-15, 13:32   Link #49
Firefly00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Just make a The Division Thread, hijacking another game thread to promote game is bananas.
Your concern is understandable; the intention was not to hijack the thread. Given others' concerns about AR's gameplay, I thought it in order, having pointed to an example of how it could have been done, provide specific evidence. Having done so, there is no need on my part to place any further supporting material here, as opposed to its own thread.
Old 2016-02-17, 00:09   Link #50
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aogami View Post

I'm not sure how much they can change from now until release, concerning combat.
Basic firearms seems only useful to pull enemies for close combat. Special firearms, the ones with limted bullets, only useful to take out or weakening enemies, or forcing them away from cover (grenades).
Old 2016-02-17, 12:16   Link #51
HasuMasu
*Artist

I prefer guns take a backseat honestly. It makes for more fun combat.
Old 2016-02-17, 12:26   Link #52
Shadow5YA

I prefer melee weapons over guns too, but the melee combat doesn't look particularly... engaging, or strategic in any way.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-17, 12:54   Link #53
Sides

Problem to me is, it doesn't feel like it should belong into the Valkyria Chronicles universe. Even for a spin off, it just rips everything the mainline games setup, apart.
This feels like a hack n slash game with completely animefied logic. Girl running around in a loli dress, equipped with a sword and a guy running around with a giant sword, both beating the crap out of a big armoured spider thingy using blunt weapons!?!
It really breaks my heart seeing the direction the next game in the Valkyria Chronicles World ihas choosen ;_;
Just rename it to shining something, or make a new IP.
Old 2016-02-17, 14:16   Link #54
Shadow5YA

Like I said, I don't mind that part. The designs look fine to me.

It's the fact that from the demo provided, the combat is just... mediocre on every account. There is little strategy involved, and the hack and slash itself is fairly slow.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-17, 20:02   Link #55
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Problem to me is, it doesn't feel like it should belong into the Valkyria Chronicles universe. Even for a spin off, it just rips everything the mainline games setup, apart.
This feels like a hack n slash game with completely animefied logic. Girl running around in a loli dress, equipped with a sword and a guy running around with a giant sword, both beating the crap out of a big armoured spider thingy using blunt weapons!?!
It really breaks my heart seeing the direction the next game in the Valkyria Chronicles World ihas choosen ;_;
Just rename it to shining something, or make a new IP.
I agree. It might as well be called Final Fantasy with Valkyrians now.
Old 2016-03-06, 16:01   Link #56
hamazura
whatever

i literally just finished VC 3 days ago and just found out this brand new ps4 games.... holy shit what are they doing with VC? they turned this game into... dynasty warrior?

my reaction is quite similar to FF15, they completely killed turn-based game into le popular action hack&slash
Old 2016-03-07, 22:26   Link #57
SineMora
Wait for it...

Found some gameplay here
Purists might not like it, but for me who has played the 1st two, is excited about the real time mode...
In fact there is one game you can compare to this as well which is my favorite among the X-Com series: XCOM THE BUREAU. Another game that I draw parallels with: BATTLEZONE 98 SERIES. THIS IS HOME FOR ME. I loved strategy games but I prefer being with my frontline troops rather than sitting in the armchair of some HQ giving out orders.

EDIT: Seeing enemies Panic is a nice touch.

"Time is more gentle than anything. Even though the two of them will lose this once in a year opportunity to meet, that sadness will heal as time passes. However time is also more cruel than any other, even though the two lovers have pledged their love for all eternity, that pure emotion will fade away into dust in the flow of time. That one instant where their existence are recognized by each other are being constantly taken away by fate, just how long will the lover that resides in their heart exist till?" -Tokisaki Kurumi.
SineMora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-07, 23:35   Link #58
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by SineMora View Post
Found some gameplay here
Purists might not like it, but for me who has played the 1st two, is excited about the real time mode...
In fact there is one game you can compare to this as well which is my favorite among the X-Com series: XCOM THE BUREAU. Another game that I draw parallels with: BATTLEZONE 98 SERIES. THIS IS HOME FOR ME. I loved strategy games but I prefer being with my frontline troops rather than sitting in the armchair of some HQ giving out orders.

EDIT: Seeing enemies Panic is a nice touch.
I'm not sure I agree with the comparison being made here. You played the first game so you should know....you are on the front lines! You are in the darn tank! How much more front lines do you want?

I think it's fine for people to be interested in this kind of combat system. But in the end I don't care about this game at all. Will appreciate the Valkyria games we got and keep waiting for those to actually make a return.
Old 2016-03-08, 22:08   Link #59
SineMora
Wait for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I'm not sure I agree with the comparison being made here. You played the first game so you should know....you are on the front lines! You are in the darn tank! How much more front lines do you want?

I think it's fine for people to be interested in this kind of combat system. But in the end I don't care about this game at all. Will appreciate the Valkyria games we got and keep waiting for those to actually make a return.
And I'm the only one moving on that turn? Nah, I want to bring an entire army as I roll along.

EDIT, and there is something I always wanted to do (which GW gratefully allowed us to do in DoW): THIS.

"Time is more gentle than anything. Even though the two of them will lose this once in a year opportunity to meet, that sadness will heal as time passes. However time is also more cruel than any other, even though the two lovers have pledged their love for all eternity, that pure emotion will fade away into dust in the flow of time. That one instant where their existence are recognized by each other are being constantly taken away by fate, just how long will the lover that resides in their heart exist till?" -Tokisaki Kurumi.

Last edited by SineMora; 2016-03-12 at 07:56.
SineMora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-22, 09:38   Link #60
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
http://www.siliconera.com/2016/04/22...and-criminals/

Has an update with details on the "Five Grand Criminals".

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ps vita