AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-03-05, 17:51   Link #1
brad_le
Sleeper RX-7

Wireless Network

How do I set up a secure wireless network for my laptops?
I have a wireless D-link DI-524 Router, 802.11 g/2.4 gHz.
brad_le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-05, 18:16   Link #2
brad_le
Sleeper RX-7

A cord from the modem to the router?
brad_le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-05, 20:08   Link #3
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Basically, you set up your router and configure all of the security in there. Save the settings, and then set up each laptop to connect to the network with the password and such.

For optimal security, it's recommended that you use a WPA key over a WEP key, and that you disable SSID broadcast. For performance, you would be strongly advised to change the default channel. If you live in a highly populated area, scan to see what networks are around you and note what channels they're set to. Choose a channel that isn't in use. Additionally, for heavy download performance, note that the higher the encryption level of your security, the more performance will take a hit. If you experience problems with speed and/or network performance, consider dropping the encryption level a bit. (WPA is still recommended.) Also, if you have any cordless phones in your house, make sure that none of them are 2.4 GHz. This will cause signal pollution and can cause issues with your wireless network's performance. Newer phones are 5.8 GHz, older ones are 900 MHz; either of them will not conflict with your network. (Wireless routers use the 2.4 GHz frequency.)

If you were asking how to configure your router at all, please see D-Link's product page which contains an installation guide and the manuals that should give you all the information you need.
Old 2006-03-05, 23:07   Link #4
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

ALso, get the latest firmware. older firmware will cause BT to not work on wireless.

FYI - I have the same router and it will crap out if you max out your connections. do not have more than 100 connections otherwise it will lose the wireless connection.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote