Old 2020-01-15, 12:47   Link #21
Tenzen12

That's best part though.
Old 2020-01-15, 21:28   Link #22
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
There's a lot about this show that I could forgive for the sake of a genre I like, but that awful cringey soundtrack from 80's isn't one of them...
I'm pretty sure that's a point they added on purpose.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-16, 12:25   Link #23
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

The second episode was quite better but it feels I get this impression commonly in remakes in general. The first episodes try introducing almost all the major cast but it's the second one that explains their connection and past.

Gotta say I enjoyed it. Orphen's past was more comical than in the 90s (at least that's what I remember) as he, Azalie and the other sorcerers really acted like teenagers playing around despite their status. What happened to Azalie to become the dragon seems identical to the orignal but Orphen returning to Childman (weird name) seems a bit weird for me. Did this happen in the original?

Also, something I noticed is that Orphen's characterization is quite different. In the 90s he was colder but in this portayal he seems caring (probably cos he has more ideas about how he could save Azalie)
Old 2020-01-21, 17:43   Link #24
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
The second episode was quite better but it feels I get this impression commonly in remakes in general. The first episodes try introducing almost all the major cast but it's the second one that explains their connection and past.

Gotta say I enjoyed it. Orphen's past was more comical than in the 90s (at least that's what I remember) as he, Azalie and the other sorcerers really acted like teenagers playing around despite their status. What happened to Azalie to become the dragon seems identical to the orignal but Orphen returning to Childman (weird name) seems a bit weird for me. Did this happen in the original?

Also, something I noticed is that Orphen's characterization is quite different. In the 90s he was colder but in this portayal he seems caring (probably cos he has more ideas about how he could save Azalie)
From what I remember, back in the 90's it took a whole season to achieve what they just did in 3 episodes...
Seemed to me the Dragon drama lasted longer, but it was so long ago and I didn't even get the chance to watch all of the episodes, just a couple here and there.
Sageblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-21, 17:52   Link #25
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Just watched episode 3. It's way different from the 90s. Not only the deaths are more gruesome but they actually concluded in 3 episodes what the 90s took an entire season. And the result of the narrative is way too different. It feels like the exact opposite.
Old 2020-01-21, 21:35   Link #26
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

The whole Bloody August story arc is just one volume. Naturally it took no more than 3 episodes.
The 90s anime toss in bunch of original story and character to stretch it that long.
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-21, 21:54   Link #27
Applehell

Mmm, if anything I'm surprised this whole conflict ended in 3 episodes. I thought Orphen finding his adopted sister and changing her back would be the central narrative, but nope. I have no idea what the story itself will be about now.

Last edited by Applehell; 2020-01-21 at 23:12.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-21, 23:03   Link #28
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

I thought the lady was the victim, but then we have her here trading spots and sacrificing Childman in her place.

-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2020-01-22, 02:00   Link #29
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

I finally figured out what's bothering me in this adaptation.
Magic, it is the magic! Those magic looks like something out of a completely different color palette from the rest of the anime. It end up making them look like some cheap water paint.
Old 2020-01-22, 16:20   Link #30
Tenzen12

Puting aside significantly shorter arc, wasn't there actually pretty important detail left out?

Spoiler for I may remember wrong:

Maybe this generation isn't ready for such plot? Or maybe this is more accurate version? Honestly I don't have clue...
Old 2020-01-22, 16:34   Link #31
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

That's original content from the 90s anime. Does not exist in the original novel.
Old 2020-01-22, 17:07   Link #32
Wandering Soul

And here I thought the entire story would revolve around Orphen trying to save Azalie, but that was actually resolved pretty quickly. Wonder where the story goes from here.
Old 2020-01-25, 16:14   Link #33
alex_drian

Well shit, I was thinking this "save Azalie" was going to be the central plot of the story as I didn't watch the 90s one, heck I didn't expect Cromicon going like that as he appear in the OP and I was thinking this would be a large arc with the Tower as the enemy, kinda like the SS arc in Bleach. I'm okay with this.

I'm still think that new animation can hold a candle to the 90s designs and it only works with the blond heroine but is primary because her design is pure win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmaster View Post
The whole Bloody August story arc is just one volume. Naturally it took no more than 3 episodes.
The 90s anime toss in bunch of original story and character to stretch it that long.
Those were good times.
alex_drian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-25, 20:47   Link #34
Alchemist007
*Author

Decided to watch this alongside the original. I heard about the differences in pacing/story...but should be an interesting comparison to say the least.
Old 2020-01-26, 15:43   Link #35
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Wait, so Childman killed Comicron and all the others?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-28, 18:43   Link #36
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

This episode felt like the closing chapter for volume 1 if I'm correct. However, I wonder if Azalie might return considering the opening. I guess Orphen now wants to take responsibility for the killed mages or something considering his current journey.
Old 2020-01-28, 21:22   Link #37
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

I thought we were done with Azalie, but then we get another flashback episode about Azalie And we get a flashback within a flashback.
Okay, it wasn't that bad though. At least FINALLY, the "tabi" part of "Hagure tabi" starts next episode. The whole "We are going here, through this" is so RPG (in a good way).

I hear that they are skipping two volumes by the next episode though.

Old 2020-01-28, 21:25   Link #38
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

The wolf is showing up, so they are doing vol.4 next.
Old 2020-01-31, 07:11   Link #39
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Not feeling the flashback after it was resolved and Comicron died.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-31, 17:36   Link #40
Wandering Soul

They probably should have just combined this flashback with the last one and let the last episode be the conclusion to this whole Azalie dilemma.