AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-02-10, 20:46   Link #1
Sol Falling

Taiyou no Ie

http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/taiyou-no-ie-r1331

Pretty god tier slice of life shoujo manga. You should read it, lol.

Main character Mao is feeling neglected due to her parents going through a divorce. When she feels alone, she is invited to play and have dinner at the neighbour/large family's house across the street. The other family has three children; two older brothers, and a young girl.

At some point while they are still children, the parents of that family pass away due to a tragic accident. The younger children are sent off to live with relatives, but the eldest brother holds onto the house with the wish that they can live together again.

Mao chose to stay with her father after the divorce because her mother was getting married to an unfamiliar man. Now, however, her father is getting remarried, and she feels like she no longer has a place. Running into Hiro again, they awkwardly build up a relationship together while remembering their memories of the past.

Four volumes are currently out in Japan. Let's hope that this will grow into a long-lived and healthy thread, lol.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-10, 22:51   Link #2
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

^I'll do my share (say, how many "first response" have I made in these threads? ). In fact I was kinda searching for a thread earlier anyway.

This one is indeed god-tier. Taamo did a few one shots which were firmly typical shoujo, but with enough heart and competent handling to be better than usual. This series is her (?) best so far though. Mao's really pretty, she's such a tsundere to Hiro, it's a lot more about family than love, it's heartful rather than melodramatic...

Chapter 6, for example, was nicely done. I was thinking "DRAMA" with Daiki's disapproval, then he's won over in a chapter. Turns out he's a good kid after all. I hope he gets to move over soon, so there would be more brother bonding, brother x sister-in-law (?) bonding, and maybe even a bit of a triangle lol.

But I wonder what will come out of Hina, who has yet to appear in person at the present...
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-13, 12:37   Link #3
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

What the hell is with Mao's like super epic cute-ness?!!!!

Thats gotta be a crime against humanity that is!

I thought Riri-chan(Inu X Boku) was super cute but she's got nothing on Mao here and they even look the same lol!

This has been a very very good read, very good.

All I can note atm is hope the love triangles(there are 2 of them atm) don't get too complicated.
I worry that throwing in the other brother could lead to that but I'm fine with the way things are atm.
You got the Mao>Hiro<Sugimoto and then then Mao<Oda<Chii one, don't think we need more than that.

Hope to see Hina soon, think her sit will be quite melodramatic compared to Daiki's.
I quite liked the fatc Daiki's wasn't melodramatic, not everything should be as they tend to be with these types of stories

Mao<3
Old 2012-04-16, 23:35   Link #4
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Oh Dear God, just how much more cuter can Mao get?!!!

Seriously, if this doesn't end as HiroXMao, I do think I'll rage so hard I'll turn into some sorta big green monster!

Hiro is a great guy, love how he interacts with Mao is a real treat to watch.

I don't really call many people this with in the manga/anime world but that father is a right douchebag.
Even tho he is supporting Mao and isn't abusive or actually bad to her but he still feels as bad as parents that do the worst to their kids.
Maybe it's just cause I absolutely adore Mao so much that anyone that would cross her could actually make me turn into big green monster anyway but can't really bring myself to the guy.

So we got a date chapter coming up, I look forward to it
Old 2012-04-26, 02:34   Link #5
Sol Falling

Ch. 11 out. Seems to have resolved a couple things.

I was feeling a bit anxious about Mao's relationship with Chi before so it was really nice to not only see them talking again, but even getting a bit of sweet backstory. That part was great.

Regarding Mao's dad, I figured something like that was his motivation. I won't say the way he acted was sympathetic or excusable but I do understand his character. Certainly, by his actions he is hurting Mao but I'm not really satisfied by the conclusion of "just forget him, let Hiro take care of her". Somewhere down the line I do hope that he and Mao can genuinely patch things up.

As for the Mao/Hiro romance, it looks like it is pretty clearly moving forward now. At the very least, Mao's dream seems to confirm what she really wants. I haven't been totally behind the romantic aspect of this series far because it kind of feels like Mao has been conflating romantic feelings with her desire for a home/family...and to be honest I'm still thinking it's rather complicated, but let's just see where the story goes.
Old 2012-09-29, 22:41   Link #6
Sol Falling

Just read chapter 15.

Welp, that sure made things a bit more complicated. Mao's dad's backstory was quite something. I was always uncomfortable before, right, with just writing Mao's dad off as a bad father. Now that his backstory's been revealed, though, I'm equally hesitant to be satisfied just blaming Mao's mother.

What was the mistake? Where did things go wrong? I thought Mao's mother and father made a cute couple. Should the other boyfriend, whom the mother cheated with, be labelled a villain? The idea of Mao's parents' relationship ever being reparable seems impossible now that her dad's remarried. And Mao's new step-mother doesn't seem to have anything against her, maybe because she brought her own child of a previous marriage into the relationship. Might Mao's relationship with her father and his new family actually be redeemable?

The problem is Mao's father's feelings of not deserving to have a relationship with her. The other problem is how Hiro has succeeded in replacing him as a protective figure. Right now, Hiro is standing in as Mao's father. That's why he feels hesitant about accepting her feelings for a romantic relationship. Then we have to ask a question: does Mao want a guardian (i.e. in the sense of family), or a lover (also in the sense of family)? If Hiro accepts Mao's feelings, becomes involved with her, and allows her to stay in his house, will Mao have any need anymore for her father? On the other hand, is Mao's desire to "belong" in Hiro's house only because she feels like she doesn't belong in the house of her real father?

What would be ideal? What do the characters really want? This story has gotten quite complicated. The intersection of romantic and familial love is at the root of the difficulty. I've regained a bit of confidence that Taamo will be able to resolve it with the proper delicacy.
Old 2012-09-30, 20:58   Link #7
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

I strongly disliked Mao's father and thought something was seriously wrong with him before but, damn...

That kind of shit ruins a man. He's wounded, betrayed, broken, his whole world was a lie, and now he's burdened with crushing guilt and paralyzed and hates himself more every time he lashes out or ignores Mao, so he turns a blind eye and tries to pretend she doesn't exist. Doesn't make it right or okay to hurt the child like that, but he's the last person in the world who would think so.

I'm not sympathetic to the bitch of a mother. This isn't a "we are both at fault" situation. He was before clearly not abusive nor unfaithful; maybe he got his priorities wrong, took his jobs too seriously. Well so does half of all the fathers in Asia. "Loneliness" isn't a remotely acceptable reason to go back to cheating with the fucking abuser/scammer who your husband, your childhood friend who dearly loves you, rescued from (and it's even noted it restarted early in the marriage). This is like "girls love bad boys," ruining your childhood nightmare mode [I'm having difficulty avoiding the cursed three-letter acronym], and Mao suffered the most. Without the warmth of Hiro's family, I shudder to think what she would have become.

Which, of course, makes Hiro's position all the more delicate. Without anyone else, he's becoming Mao's world.
Old 2012-09-30, 23:04   Link #8
Shadow5YA

Well... that chapter certainly put a lot of things into perspective.

Interesting that Hiro has been aware of Mao's feelings. I guess he's hesitating to respond to her feelings because he feels that Mao needs him as a family member before she needs him as a lover.

I hold no sympathy Mao's mother either. There is nothing to justify what she had done. The rest of the family is a wreck when they did nothing to deserve it.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 14:36   Link #9
bastek66

Heavy spoiler from latest chapter
Spoiler for kiss:
bastek66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 15:31   Link #10
Shadow5YA

Is he drunk?
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-15, 09:57   Link #11
Excorsism

About time, lol.
Old 2013-03-15, 10:19   Link #12
Lexxus
YES! Hahahaha

Do this one have a light-hearted theme?
Lexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-15, 22:41   Link #13
iCK

Spoiler for chapter 32:

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2013-03-18 at 20:12.
iCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-17, 00:29   Link #14
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

*~circa chapter 22~*

No one has the right to be as cute as Mao. She's a walking cosmic concentration of sugar, spice, bad cooking, and squeee~ Can't wait to see Hiro's self-control breaks down.

Oh, and now that Daiki's back, let the brothers' love triangle commence!
Old 2015-01-22, 23:30   Link #15
Starshipw
Free Opinions Available

Super cute chapter. Next one is the last.
Starshipw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-25, 15:58   Link #16
bastek66

Next chapter will have some annoucement, hopefully it will be anime.
Old 2017-01-28, 11:46   Link #17
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

A couple of years late, but honestly, monthly waits were excruciating. Once I remembered to pick it up again, look at here, it's 2017 already.

Over all, it's a very nice osananajimi story. Highlights the very things I love about the trope; supporting the one you love even if they don't love you back, love being able to be patient for the right time to start, and most especially wanting the other's happiness as first priority before your own love. Altogether it's heartwarming and daww-inspiring, and I'd take these type of stories over the 'love hate' romance.

Of course, the biggest difference between this and most other stories of the trope is that the main couple has 7 years age difference. Honestly, I'm usually kinda weirded out with say, teacher/student relationships, but this one one was pretty cute. Being childhood friends makes everything forgivable, even if technically Hiro is into jailbait. XD

If there's one side-story I want so badly, it would be DaikiXOtoha. Them having a challenge to get a boyfriend/girlfriend first is so cute, and we all know such challenges more often than not ends up with them getting with each other. They probably wouldn't be officially together until uni since Otoha lives in Kobe, but still, I would love a side-story about it.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-14, 07:01   Link #18
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Kodansha Comics started releasing an English language Digital Edition of the series, for ages: 16+, in February 2017, titled "House of the Sun", and they're up to volume five in the release schedule.

http://kodanshacomics.com/series/hou...n-taiyo-no-ie/
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
romance, shoujo, slice of life