Notices

Old 2006-04-26, 07:22   Link #101
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues
Yeah... stay away from wingdarkness Shinji... bad things happen around him :x
Right, that's it, every single one of you people with way too much testosterone pumping away at your keyboards, stop. Just stop. Keep it civil and act your ages, this is just bloody ridiculous.

Quote:
Sure thng - the Emperors Shunzhi, Kangxi, Tongzhi, Guangxu and Xuantong from just the Qing dynasty. This may not be all that common now, but it's not like as if the Cosmic Era takes place now either.
And there are countless other monarchs throughout history which have ascended the throne and taken full control of the country at ages 12-18 and so on. Since Cagalli appears to just be the head of state and a single politician in the upper echelon of the ruling body, since Orb does have a parliament as well, it isn't really too weird.
srb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 12:14   Link #102
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by srb
And there are countless other monarchs throughout history which have ascended the throne and taken full control of the country at ages 12-18 and so on. Since Cagalli appears to just be the head of state and a single politician in the upper echelon of the ruling body, since Orb does have a parliament as well, it isn't really too weird.
Cagalli I can understand, and if it weren't for the nerf she got at the beginning of GSD, she would have been a great leader all the way through. I was meaning more about a teenager in an elected council as wierd.
Old 2006-04-26, 12:24   Link #103
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
Quote:
If you correctly romanize (as you demand) Kamille's name, you get "Kamiiyuu". Is that better for you? And yes, I spelled Kamille's name the way you want everybody to spell it. You happy now?
LoL... You are still incorrect. His name is カミーユ, which would be romanized as kamiyu not kamiiyuu. The chouon just lengthens the vowel sound and doesn't add another letter to the word. As for the extra 'u', lord knows where that came from. Example...

ユーリィ・スプローヴァ

I don't see the name Yuri being spelled "Yuuri". I don't see the last name Sprova being spelled "Sproova" either, if you "add a double consonent to denote the elongated vowel."

Aside from that, you just proved my point wonderfully, thank you Shinji. Now... if we can direct this thread back on course, I'll move on from it. If you wish to continue this via PM, by all means Shinji.

Quote:
I wouldn't exactly say that her position allows her to "rule" anything really. The overall consensus from GSD seemed that the parliament made all the decisions and what not. Cagalli couldn't seem to veto their decision to side with the Alliance, so I don't really think her position is much of anything.
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 13:00   Link #104
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103
Cagalli I can understand, and if it weren't for the nerf she got at the beginning of GSD, she would have been a great leader all the way through. I was meaning more about a teenager in an elected council as wierd.
There's a German 18 year-old who's an elected member of the parliament, I heard.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 13:09   Link #105
srb
I can see time itself!

Quote:
I wouldn't exactly say that her position allows her to "rule" anything really. The overall consensus from GSD seemed that the parliament made all the decisions and what not. Cagalli couldn't seem to veto their decision to side with the Alliance, so I don't really think her position is much of anything.
Orb seems more like a pseudo-democracy to me - the parliament makes decisions which the emir council can veto if they take up the issue for internal voting. Otherwise it wouldn't make any sense at all as to why there are hereditary positions within that council and it's comprised of "emirs".
Old 2006-04-26, 13:12   Link #106
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by srb
Orb seems more like a pseudo-democracy to me - the parliament makes decisions which the emir council can veto if they take up the issue for internal voting. Otherwise it wouldn't make any sense at all as to why there are hereditary positions within that council and it's comprised of "emirs".
Even still, Cagalli couldn't prevent them from siding with the Alliance. Therefore she really isn't a person of power and just a figurehead and nothing more. Basically the people we saw in that room were the decision-makers and that's it. So I suppose that they could veto Cagalli's veto I suppose.

And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Old 2006-04-26, 13:16   Link #107
srb
I can see time itself!

Quote:
Even still, Cagalli couldn't prevent them from siding with the Alliance. Therefore she really isn't a person of power and just a figurehead and nothing more. Basically the people we saw in that room were the decision-makers and that's it. So I suppose that they could veto Cagalli's veto I suppose.
I don't know the exact seating, but let's say there are 11 seats in that council. If Cagalli had the support of five others, the decision would have been vetoed as a majority of the emirs would have opposed it, but now she was basically all alone when it came to opposing it... She has just as much individual power as the rest of them, but was just outmaneuvered. At least that's how I would guess it works, unless there are better sources that actually explain it, but that guess sort of fits in nicely.
Old 2006-04-26, 13:18   Link #108
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

I dunno. Perhaps I'm looking at her father's position too closely. THen again, he probably had more sway over things than she does... :/

Old 2006-04-26, 14:24   Link #109
srb
I can see time itself!

Quote:
I dunno. Perhaps I'm looking at her father's position too closely. THen again, he probably had more sway over things than she does... :/
It was most likely a combination of both her father being a more competent and respected leader as well as fear of Orb once again being invaded that divided everyone against her regarding the alliance. It does seem that Cagalli has a very specific position as "representative" though - she appears to be the chosen "head of state" and therefore represents the emir council, without having any more individual power than anyone else on the council.

It seems plausible.
Old 2006-04-26, 16:06   Link #110
dom33
Pat:TAISAAAAA!

i think gsd would have been better if cagalli became a figure head like mineva zabi or chronicle's sister maria. i wished cagalli died know why she screwed up! in u.c. if you screwed up you die, lila screwed up she died,karicon screwed up and payed with his life, the best thing about u.c. is one pilot say jerid could be piloting a hizack one episode than a galbaldy in another. this is seen most with gundam mk2(who didn't pilot it?) zeta gundam(the suit), gundam zz(series) and char.

here's something relating to the topic
http://www.animeacademy.com/finalrevdisplay.php?id=543
WhiteWings:To this day I don't know what the insanity behind the decision to release the first GSD ending. My God that was without a doubt the worst ending I had ever seen in my life in a anime series.
Blizzer: He already has special powers called super pheromone powers which makes him irresistable to Sekirei's in heat.
dom33 is offline   Reply With Quote