AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-10-04, 00:02   Link #81
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esclair View Post
So what's with the red haired royal family female leads with flame powers? Is red the undeniable BEST girl color or something? I'm looking at my figurine collection and there really isn't that many red heads. You'd think authors want to switch it up a bit considering how many other similar LNs have red haired female protagonists.

Then there's the flame powers. Why can't main girl have ice powers? Esdeath is pretty darn popular and she's basically the ice queen.
I also assumed it was to go along with the fiery red head trope. Though it really wouldn't hurt to switch it up.
Old 2015-10-04, 00:05   Link #82
Esclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one above all View Post
I also assumed it was to go along with the fiery red head trope. Though it really wouldn't hurt to switch it up.
ICY ICE QUEEN!!!!

So it really all comes down to Rei vs Asuka again huh?
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 07:16   Link #83
Enternal

I'm a novel reader so I already read both novels of this and Rakudai and so far I found both of them very fun to watch. It really feels like they're going all out and you can see that in the discussions as well. Not only that but I'm starting to feel like they really intend to adapt both series this season at the same time. Initially it really confused me as to why considering how similar they are in their beginnings (but they will diverge). Still, don't know what these companies are thinking. Are they're like directly competing with each other or something lol.

Anyways, like others said before, the animation for Asterisk was just great. It was really fun to watch yet also not over the top. I especially love the last part of the episode where Julis got really upset with what MacPhail had said and the whole scene just looked great too me. The OP also is quite nice and really like that style. Ayato is typical so I don't feel that much is special about him but he is not stupid either so is better than the average MC of this type of genre who always seems like fools or something. Personally I like Julis but that's mainly because I know what type of person she really is but we are not there yet until probably a the next two episodes.

To those who complained about how Julis was acting, I think she was being very logical. She did not slap him or attack him the moment he saw her in a state undressed. She also talked to him in a very straightforward way and wanted to hear his explanations before proceeding. She also clearly state how happy and appreciative she is of him bringing her handkerchief. However that and him seeing her in a state of undressed that was clearly his fault are separate issues which is why she proceed with a school duel. Not only that, the next day she wasn't resentful or anything about what he did the previous day. She still shows her appreciation thanking him for saving her even if he did grope her in the process but also is cold which is expected since his initial impression wasn't so great.

On a side note, it seems some people tends to be more receptive of an "arrogant" guy than an "arrogant" girl. I wonder why. It always happen when we have characters like these. But if a character is arrogant and they have the skills or whatever to back it up, I don't see an issue with that whether they're male or females. Of course you would like them to be humble but they have every right to be how they are.

When compared to Rakudai, I slightly favored this series more than the other. What I do think Rakudai 1st episode has that this episode was lacking on was the battle. While the battle in Asterisk was great and very well animated, the battle in Rakudai was an actual battle. It really looked like a sword fight and that was really exciting. Of course it ended more in a battle of magic since Itou Shura was all flashy and stuff but still that initial sword fight was a blast to watch.

Anyways, overall I'm looking forward to next week.
Enternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 08:57   Link #84
The 48th Ronin

Can't we just enjoy both shows and stop bickering about which one is better? Geez, anime fans these days...

I, for one, enjoy both Rakudai and Asterisk for different reasons; the former for romance, and the latter for action.

Getting back to topic, the first episode's pretty good, so far. Nothing much to say since I've already read all of Volume 1. Looking forward to next week.
The 48th Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 08:57   Link #85
Phantomlurker

Mmm... how to derail this flame war before it starts... ah yes!
Hey guys, about the op, was I the only one surprised with corona being THAT pretty? I had her as pretty cute but average looking, never imagined her like that. Fan's grin also provoked an involuntary hell yeah! from me.
Phantomlurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 08:59   Link #86
SakurazukaJames

Can anyone tell me what countries each school is based on?

I will never apologize for enjoying fanservice.
SakurazukaJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 09:10   Link #87
Phantomlurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakurazukaJames View Post
Can anyone tell me what countries each school is based on?
World dragon is china, allekant is Germany/USA , garradsworfrth is UK, seidokan is japan, queen veil is... France? And le Wolfe is a shithole.
Old 2015-10-04, 09:13   Link #88
SakurazukaJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomlurker View Post
World dragon is china, allekant is Germany/USA , garradsworfrth is UK, seidokan is japan, queen veil is... France? And le Wolfe is a shithole.
Thanks man, I can already tell that World Dragon is going to be my favorite, I love the whose Chinese aesthetic they' expectations got.

I will never apologize for enjoying fanservice.
SakurazukaJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 09:31   Link #89
Phantomlurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakurazukaJames View Post
Thanks man, I can already tell that World Dragon is going to be my favorite, I love the whose Chinese aesthetic they' expectations got.
All schools are amazing in their own way but yes, world dragon takes the cake. After mahouka I have a soft spot for them besides. Is nice to have the Chinese presented as some are good guys, other are assholes, just like real persons. And fan xing Liu is awesome.
Old 2015-10-04, 09:50   Link #90
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

A-1 pictures went hardcore for a first episode battle scene, but that's really the only thing I could take note.

Asterisk threw so many clichés right from the bat it was just appalling. I thought Juris would surprisingly leave Ayato off the hook, but the tsun antics went full overdrive, and it became a sloppy slope at that point.
Meanwhile, Ayato was pretty bland and all this stuff about his sister didn't really help because there is even less information about him than her, so the series didn't really make me "care" about him whatsoever.
In the end, the first episode didn't really give much impression regarding the characters except maybe Claudia to some extent.

In a nutshell, the show is flashy, but nothing to write home about.
Old 2015-10-04, 11:08   Link #91
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

This is going to be a very last warning regarding this matter, and it will be applied for both parties.

You are free to compare this series with another one without any restriction, but stay on topic! Remember this is the discussion thread for Gakusen Toshi Asterisk and not for any other series.
As such, keep the comparisons to a very strict minimum, and do not start cycling arguments and comparisons for the hell of it.

Similarly to character shipping/bashing, we do NOT condone attitudes that promote a series / bash another one for sake of competition, "good taste claim" and any other pointless drivel. If you prefer a given show, then stick with it and don't meddle with other members' preference.

Last but not the least: there won't be any "VS" thread whatsoever. Any post asking for such kind of thread OR acting as such will be disposed on the spot. Any recidivist will be severely punished if needed.
I hope I was clear on that matter.
Old 2015-10-04, 11:29   Link #92
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enternal View Post
I'm a novel reader so I already read both novels of this and Rakudai and so far I found both of them very fun to watch. It really feels like they're going all out and you can see that in the discussions as well. Not only that but I'm starting to feel like they really intend to adapt both series this season at the same time. Initially it really confused me as to why considering how similar they are in their beginnings (but they will diverge). Still, don't know what these companies are thinking. Are they're like directly competing with each other or something lol.

Anyways, like others said before, the animation for Asterisk was just great. It was really fun to watch yet also not over the top. I especially love the last part of the episode where Julis got really upset with what MacPhail had said and the whole scene just looked great too me. The OP also is quite nice and really like that style. Ayato is typical so I don't feel that much is special about him but he is not stupid either so is better than the average MC of this type of genre who always seems like fools or something. Personally I like Julis but that's mainly because I know what type of person she really is but we are not there yet until probably a the next two episodes.

To those who complained about how Julis was acting, I think she was being very logical. She did not slap him or attack him the moment he saw her in a state undressed. She also talked to him in a very straightforward way and wanted to hear his explanations before proceeding. She also clearly state how happy and appreciative she is of him bringing her handkerchief. However that and him seeing her in a state of undressed that was clearly his fault are separate issues which is why she proceed with a school duel. Not only that, the next day she wasn't resentful or anything about what he did the previous day. She still shows her appreciation thanking him for saving her even if he did grope her in the process but also is cold which is expected since his initial impression wasn't so great.

On a side note, it seems some people tends to be more receptive of an "arrogant" guy than an "arrogant" girl. I wonder why. It always happen when we have characters like these. But if a character is arrogant and they have the skills or whatever to back it up, I don't see an issue with that whether they're male or females. Of course you would like them to be humble but they have every right to be how they are.

When compared to Rakudai, I slightly favored this series more than the other. What I do think Rakudai 1st episode has that this episode was lacking on was the battle. While the battle in Asterisk was great and very well animated, the battle in Rakudai was an actual battle. It really looked like a sword fight and that was really exciting. Of course it ended more in a battle of magic since Itou Shura was all flashy and stuff but still that initial sword fight was a blast to watch.

Anyways, overall I'm looking forward to next week.
I will say what stood out to me with Julis was the degree she was level-headed about everything. Taking the time to finish getting dressed, listen to the explanations, and be thankful for getting something important to her back. Reasonable enough as well to have basically let it go by the next day and grateful enough to help him out if he needs it at some point. But clearly she treats him the same way as she treats most people and is someone keeping her distance from others. So not like she's going out of her way to be rude to the MC specifically.

There does seem to be a kind of bias towards arrogance, though I'm not sure Julis is all that arrogant. She is focused on her goals and fighting the same people over and over again just because they can't stand losing to her is naturally not going to be of interest to her. I'd consider it a waste of my time too.
Old 2015-10-04, 11:33   Link #93
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Sigh, are they still so defensive about that?

Whatever, I'm not a demanding snowflake nor pretend one is any different, because guess wha? They're Not, both are still as generic as they can be and one of them lacks a solid plot tbh...

About this one, not much interested at first but found the world building and technology interesting, at least more than the MC. At least kaicho seems likeable.
Kuroageha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 11:33   Link #94
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I will say what stood out to me with Julis was the degree she was level-headed about everything. Taking the time to finish getting dressed, listen to the explanations, and be thankful for getting something important to her back.
And after that she proceeded to blast the room with a fire ball. Very level-headed indeed.

I'm tired of the Gakusen/Rakudai comparisons, but the double standard applied here is curious. In the other thread you blast the girl's behaviour, while here you are even impressed, despite Julis' intent to blast Ayato to the moon with that fire ball (she even said, she didn't expect him to dodge that).
Old 2015-10-04, 11:38   Link #95
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Actually MC entering her room like a burglar was more annoying.

What if she was doing something more intimate? I would punch the hell out of him.
Kuroageha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 11:49   Link #96
Kenju of the Right
Imagine Breaker

yeah probably would have been best to walk to the door or call out to them. I like Ayato, but he had it coming for not using his head
Intellectual Village: Volume 6 Chapter 3
Mitou Shoukan:// Blood Sign Volume 1 Chapter 1
Heavy Object: Volume 10 Complete
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk: Volume 7 Chapter 2
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Volume 12 Chapter 12
Rokka no Yuusha Volume 4 Chapter 1

Kenju of the Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 12:15   Link #97
Phantomlurker

Ayato did enter HER room after all, through the window on top of that. Just that is enough to warrant some use of force,. so taking the time to listen to him and thanking could be considered nice of her. A formal duel looks like a fine way to wrap up things. Also, ayato notes later that without the sword julis would have let him go so it's not like she was ever going to bully him.
Old 2015-10-04, 12:48   Link #98
Iron Maw
Banned

ep 1

...And here I thought that Heavy Object would be the one to drown us in LN jargon.

The storm of cliches this premier was aside I think there is some potential here, the beginning portion with Ayato's sister showed there more to the show here than just flash battles with oversized swords, annoying red-haireds and harem hijinks. But depending how the next 2 episodes pan out I may or may not make it. Hopefully next week has better hook.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 13:04   Link #99
Galaxian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroageha View Post
Actually MC entering her room like a burglar was more annoying.

What if she was doing something more intimate? I would punch the hell out of him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenju of the Right View Post
yeah probably would have been best to walk to the door or call out to them. I like Ayato, but he had it coming for not using his head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomlurker View Post
Ayato did enter HER room after all, through the window on top of that. Just that is enough to warrant some use of force,. so taking the time to listen to him and thanking could be considered nice of her. A formal duel looks like a fine way to wrap up things. Also, ayato notes later that without the sword julis would have let him go so it's not like she was ever going to bully him.
So, we are ignore the fireball she threw at him before the duel?

Sure, Ayato didn't think it through when she climb up a window, but he explain himself to her, and she understood, but she though that it still merit shooting a fireball at the guy. Forget a slap or a punch, she went straight to a full-fledged magic attack, but yeah the guy that got blind-sighted for being nice deserved to be burned.
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 13:11   Link #100
Syndiciate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esclair View Post
It's not just Japan. When you think of a wizard you think of fireballs. However I can't really recall any recent popular western fantasy series where the protagonist throws around fireballs.
Aang from Avatar: The Last Airbender.
Star from Star vs The Forces of Evil.
Korra from Avatar: Legend of Korra.
Syndiciate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, ecchi, harem, light novel adaptation, ps vita