AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2006-04-23, 21:31   Link #1
dom33
Pat:TAISAAAAA!

what c.e did wrong.

i've been watching zeta gundam() and i noticed u.c. battles are shorter than c.e battles so i concluded that the battles where short so there is time to develop the plot,characters and etc.disscus and don't start a flame war.
dom33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-23, 21:44   Link #2
Haromatt
yes...hero...of justice!

Well, the fact that they are long is irrelevant IMO, it's just that the C.E.(especially Destiny's) battles lack any semblance of drama. Since you KNOW that the main character will just stock footage _X_ amount of grunts, and anyone that is related to the main character has very little chance of dieing / getting hurt. Look at V Gundam, that series was amazing, partially because the death/episode ratio was mostly 1:1.
Haromatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-23, 21:59   Link #3
SNT1
r0x0rz j00r b0x0rz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haromatt
Well, the fact that they are long is irrelevant IMO, it's just that the C.E.(especially Destiny's) battles lack any semblance of drama. Since you KNOW that the main character will just stock footage _X_ amount of grunts, and anyone that is related to the main character has very little chance of dieing / getting hurt. Look at V Gundam, that series was amazing, partially because the death/episode ratio was mostly 1:1.

again, whats so good about everyone dying?

MSG wasnt particularly a death-fest, but it was pretty good, and I could say the same with GSEED.
SNT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-23, 22:37   Link #4
Fafnir
I believe I can fly!

The thing that makes it good that lots of characters die is because you don't know if a character will die, and you don't know who will die. It adds suspense. Where as in Seed, we always know who will win, and don't have to think anyone people like will die. Morsawa and Fukuda just can't realize that killing off characters is not a bad thing, in fact, it can make them even more well liked(until you bring them back.... )
Fafnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-23, 23:07   Link #5
SNT1
r0x0rz j00r b0x0rz

i said SEED, not SEED DESTINY. miles away in difference on death tolls.
Old 2006-04-23, 23:09   Link #6
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

What's wrong with bringing back characters? I mean how is it bad that Yuna becomes happy again at the end of FFX2? And heck, what's wrong with Murrue getting her guy back?

It was impossible for Mwu to survive, but come on, HE'S THE MAN THAT MAKES THE IMPOSSIBLE POSSIBLE!
Old 2006-04-24, 04:09   Link #7
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86
It was impossible for Mwu to survive, but come on, HE'S THE MAN THAT MAKES THE IMPOSSIBLE POSSIBLE!
Also, not a fortress.

SEED's later battles had quite a lot of suspense actually, and even in the beginning there were some exciting moments, like episode 5 "Phase Shift Down". I would like more surprises though.

One of the most memorable deaths in Gundam for me is...

Spoiler for Early Victory Gundam spoiler:
srb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-24, 08:04   Link #8
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Meh, character deaths are overrated. It doesn't hurt the product, but thinking that it was one of the reason Destiny failed is pretty short-sighted.

In my opinion, there's really no such term as "C.E failed" since in the end of both SEED and Destiny, I was entertained by them and enjoyed it. There's a lot "could have beens", but that's another story..right below.

1. Pacing - I've always felt that GSD's pacing was tad of the mark. Character building episodes, plot episodes, battle episodes, climax moments, etc felt really unbalanced and out of place.

2. Lack of within-anime explainations - Gilbert was responsible for etc etc etc. Terminal is etc etc etc. Why this happened is etc etc etc. And I'm already discounting out Astray-specific details. There's just some things that the producers can't go, "lol, go buy magazines to find out the truth."

3. Character - Too many characters causing lack of character development. The fact that they're trying to add more character/change character to already well developed characters will limit character progression.

4. Story-telling - Trying the make the plot progress the story rather than having a story progressed based on the character. There ain't enough room in 50 episodes for the "insert number of character* of us.

5. Inconsistent/Bad mix of ideas - Akatsuki = old technology? Trying too hard to homage certain MSes. Jona's character rape.

There's probably others, but I'm not going to dig down my head to find faults in an anime I enjoyed.

Note that recycled animation isn't in the list, because I don't consider it that big of a factor in saying an anime failed.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-24, 08:22   Link #9
yamikage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale
In my opinion, there's really no such term as "C.E failed" since in the end of both SEED and Destiny, I was entertained by them and enjoyed it. There's a lot "could have beens", but that's another story..right below.

1. Pacing - I've always felt that GSD's pacing was tad of the mark. Character building episodes, plot episodes, battle episodes, climax moments, etc felt really unbalanced and out of place.

2. Lack of within-anime explainations - Gilbert was responsible for etc etc etc. Terminal is etc etc etc. Why this happened is etc etc etc. And I'm already discounting out Astray-specific details. There's just some things that the producers can't go, "lol, go buy magazines to find out the truth."

3. Character - Too many characters causing lack of character development. The fact that they're trying to add more character/change character to already well developed characters will limit character progression.

4. Story-telling - Trying the make the plot progress the story rather than having a story progressed based on the character. There ain't enough room in 50 episodes for the "insert number of character* of us.

5. Inconsistent/Bad mix of ideas - Akatsuki = old technology? Trying too hard to homage certain MSes. Jona's character rape.

There's probably others, but I'm not going to dig down my head to find faults in an anime I enjoyed.

Note that recycled animation isn't in the list, because I don't consider it that big of a factor in saying an anime failed.
QFT. I consider an anime to be a failure if it doesn't evoke much reaction from the fans or is easily forgotten by the fans (Y HALO THAR BRAIN POWERD). The fact that it divided Gundam fans across many boards still meant that it found its niche that likes/loves the product.

As for character deaths though, I would say that when it's balanced, it makes the overall product better. Too much deaths = less sympathy from audience while too little/no deaths (for the protagonists) = less credibility.
yamikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-24, 10:04   Link #10
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86
What's wrong with bringing back characters? I mean how is it bad that Yuna becomes happy again at the end of FFX2? And heck, what's wrong with Murrue getting her guy back?
bah, happier ending != good ending

The scenes in which a charatcer dies, particularly one who is well developed, are some of the most emotional and moving scenes in a series. Their basically ususally amognst the best and most rememorable scenes in a series. When a character survives their death it ruins the power of that scene. It also kinda compromises all of the other deaths in the series; Seriously, i'm still kinda wondering if some of the characters that died in GSD are gonna stay dead

Also... i really liked the ending of FFX... seriosuly, when i saw the sneak peak for FFX-2 and saw the message orb that yuna recieved i was like "you gotta be kidding me"

Quote:
nothing a few character deaths wouldn't cure =P

Quote:
The thing that makes it good that lots of characters die is because you don't know if a character will die, and you don't know who will die. It adds suspense. Where as in Seed, we always know who will win, and don't have to think anyone people like will die.
this i can agree with... characters dying like that destorys that idea that the characters are immortal... In victory, i was could never be positive who would die, especially since some of them died in ways other then just getting shot down... other then usso, nearly all of the characters were fair game for the death (and usso was fair game in te last episode)

This is very unlike gsd where everyone from the old cast had a feeling of immortality...
in seed, the immortality feeling wasn't as strong but it was still there... there was just some characters that i really was expecting to see die... grant it, if they did die then it would have been even more moving to me

i guess it's kinda of a good in both cases... on one hand, common deaths make the series as a whole a lot more suspenceful, on the other hand rare deaths give the deaths in the series more emotion and impact (as long as it's done right and the character doesn't live afterward >.<)

Quote:
One of the most memorable deaths in Gundam for me is...
Spoiler for Early Victory Gundam spoiler:
i'll second that
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-24, 10:22   Link #11
SNT1
r0x0rz j00r b0x0rz

GSD wasn't a bad anime, it just wasnt up to par next to its predecessor. Although Kira's SF being untouched is a 1st for a Gundam series, and I really dont like the pwnage that much.

IMHO, a Gundam show doesnt need to have so many deaths to be good, and sometimes I even get more entertainment with an actual immortal character in Heero Yuy. That guy survived a self-destruct, fell on MS and buildings a couple of times, i mean come on, thats funny!
Old 2006-04-24, 13:23   Link #12
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Heero Yuy was fucking ridiculous. I mean gee, the guy survives an MS detonation, survives falling on his head from absurd heights (even from 6 feet you'd have some major damage), and is a complete pwnage machine (him and Relena's godlike brother Zechs)...I mean what CAN'T he do? SF getting untouched...blame Rey and Shinn...their skills=no thx compared to Freedom.
Old 2006-04-24, 13:45   Link #13
dom33

yet your okay with mu being alive?he was in a damged mobile suit hit by a positron cannon in space!then the archangel's blast went through what was left!the chances of him surviving where lower than lacus'es IQ. demongod86 your going to start a flame war, with the way your talking.as for shinn's and rey's skill look at my future sig.
Old 2006-04-24, 13:58   Link #14
SNT1
r0x0rz j00r b0x0rz

positron = antimatter.

when a positron hits matter, the matter and antimatter should naturally cancel out, and should dissipate into gamma rays. Seeing that the strike even managed to block it with a physical shield and the AK reflecting it, I refuse to call the red attack 'positron'. I refer to it as 'more powerful beam'.
Old 2006-04-24, 14:18   Link #15
dom33

the minerva's tanhausser was an antimatter cannon so the suki should have been blown to smitherens yet it was unscratched.
WhiteWings:To this day I don't know what the insanity behind the decision to release the first GSD ending. My God that was without a doubt the worst ending I had ever seen in my life in a anime series.
Blizzer: He already has special powers called super pheromone powers which makes him irresistable to Sekirei's in heat.
Old 2006-04-24, 14:42   Link #16
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Which points out another "did wrong" of CE: the Akatsuki. An MS that is 100% indestructible to beam weapons. A proper response is: "WTF??!!" That was an automatic fail when the thing completely block the Tannhauser without taking a scrath. You can't get any more plot-device than that. The Akatsuki is the ultimate cheapness of cheap. They could easily have made it simply invulnerable only to normal-strength beam rifle fire.

And on top of all that, its DRAGOONs completely rip off the Nu Gundam's funnels!!!! BASTARD!!!!!
Old 2006-04-24, 15:15   Link #17
Crusader

Send a message via MSN to Crusader
Well the battles in seed towards the end were pretty good, they seemed somewhat coordinated. GSD's battles weren't cordinated too good. I mean it did what wing did, but not as impressive as wing. In terms of Grunt vs Face characters. However Seed and GSD lacked meaningful character interaction.
Old 2006-04-24, 15:45   Link #18
SNT1
r0x0rz j00r b0x0rz

Quote:
Which points out another "did wrong" of CE: the Akatsuki. An MS that is 100% indestructible to beam weapons. A proper response is: "WTF??!!" That was an automatic fail when the thing completely block the Tannhauser without taking a scrath. You can't get any more plot-device than that. The Akatsuki is the ultimate cheapness of cheap. They could easily have made it simply invulnerable only to normal-strength beam rifle fire.
so yeah, pit akatsuki against heavyarms custom or leopard destroy, and it will one of the worst gundam asswhooping ever... which brings me to something I didnt like in GSD...

...too much beam weapons...

...who used a standard kinetic weapon in that show anyway? besides freedom and gouf I cant think of any MS atm.
Old 2006-04-24, 16:11   Link #19
JanthraX^
Ace Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNT1
so yeah, pit akatsuki against heavyarms custom or leopard destroy, and it will one of the worst gundam asswhooping ever... which brings me to something I didnt like in GSD...

...too much beam weapons...

...who used a standard kinetic weapon in that show anyway? besides freedom and gouf I cant think of any MS atm.
well Railguns maybe the standard kinetic weapon for ships and MS's, they just fire big slugs of metal at high speeds. Not good against agile units, good for broadsides tho
JanthraX^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-24, 16:19   Link #20
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNT1
who used a standard kinetic weapon in that show anyway? besides freedom and gouf I cant think of any MS atm.
Actually, a lot of mobile suits uses nonbeam weaponries in GSD. In addition to those you mentioned, there's Blast Impulse, Babi, Ash, Slash Zaku, Blaze Zaku, and of course, the gundams and their variants have CIWS. But beam weapons do get more attention.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote