AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-30, 16:11   Link #21
kalbron

Yep. No promotion. No nickname. Just got thrown more and more into the thick of the war.

Hope he got a generous retirement package in the end!
Old 2009-05-01, 07:41   Link #22
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
He tried to step down. He asked Eleanor if the decision to make him platoon leader was justified. She replied that his actions in Bruhl more than qualifies him for the role.

Moreover, a good inspirational leader is one that people could trust. While he might not appear to be your typical soldier, he has yet to fail his mates. If you say a leader is one that fills confidence, then he is certainly doing that part. So far, he has not led his platoon astray, and clearly his platoon has confidence in him and his ability to win battles.

... why is Valkyria suddenly giving me LoGH vibes?

- Tak
As far as I can judge him as a retired sergeant he is a good officer and leader. He cares about his troops and he does push his soldiers into something he would not do too. He worths life more than anything else.

And also what makes him a good comrade - no matter what rank - is he does not pull the "I am the officer and you have to follow my orders" attitude what most officer almost put into normal military duty. they have the right command you but rights of command always bears responsibility for their troops morale.
Old 2009-05-01, 09:38   Link #23
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbron View Post
Yep. No promotion. No nickname. Just got thrown more and more into the thick of the war.

Hope he got a generous retirement package in the end!
Spoiler for Game ending spoilers:
Old 2009-05-02, 06:41   Link #24
Wargumm1i
Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
Spoiler for Game ending spoilers:
Spoiler:
Old 2009-05-02, 07:52   Link #25
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargumm1i View Post
Spoiler:
Are you being sarcastic, mate?

Spoiler for End Game:

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
Old 2009-05-02, 09:24   Link #26
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

Ouch, that's a HUGE spoiler there.

Edit: had to emphasize how huge of a spoiler the previous post contained.
Old 2009-05-02, 10:18   Link #27
Chaho-Chi
toptoptoptoptoptoptoptopt
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Chaho-Chi
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallschirmjager View Post

Spoiler for End Game:
I never played the game before so I had a big temptation to click on that.
It was kinda obvious though

Welkin gets annoying when he's oblivious but can get funny at the same time.

Old 2009-05-02, 15:59   Link #28
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Funny thing is, Welkin is extremely serious when he needs to be. His antics in the anime during times of battle is almost unseen in the game.

For example, Welkin had no hesitation when it became apparent that he needed to operate his father's tank, and rush to Alicia's aid. He is more socially awkward in the game than he is a complete dolt like his anime counterpart.

Then again, they made Alicia a tsundere already, so... heh...

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-05-02, 16:11   Link #29
Barbobot

The anime though can also spend a lot more time with Welkin outside of issues dealing with missions and battles so we get to see more of that side of him. But even with that his social awkwardness has gone up a few steps.
Old 2009-05-02, 19:42   Link #30
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Send a message via ICQ to al103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
For example, Welkin had no hesitation when it became apparent that he needed to operate his father's tank, and rush to Alicia's aid. He is more socially awkward in the game than he is a complete dolt like his anime counterpart.
If video that i did see is from the game... and judging by your words action is already started before Welkin participated, then imperial troops already shot some civilians by that time and Welkin got in his serious mode. In anime civilians were evacuated and town guard were shot only after Welkin got in action and after that he also became serious.

PS. Also Nanoha/job, Honor/job and Rein/Agito.
PPS. Proud Athrun/Cagalli/Meyrin shipper.
Old 2009-05-06, 00:02   Link #31
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
I DEFINITELY like Welkin from the game better. Kind of disappointed with him in the anime in someways, but I know he'll get better as the series goes on.
Old 2009-05-07, 05:55   Link #32
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willen View Post
Ouch, that's a HUGE spoiler there.

Edit: had to emphasize how huge of a spoiler the previous post contained.
I did say it was "End Game" so obviously it's going to ruin the end for anyone who reads it...

Old 2009-05-07, 07:29   Link #33
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

Quote:
I did say it was "End Game" so obviously it's going to ruin the end for anyone who reads it...
Yeah, but you over-answered the question.
Old 2009-05-07, 10:18   Link #34
HunterSeeker
The Spirit of Steel

Location: HKSAR, PRC, Asia, The Earth, The Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe.
Send a message via MSN to HunterSeeker
Quote:

Spoiler for End Game:
Speaking of that, I saw the game video of Chapter 16 on Niconico Douga and it's simply the best scene I ever watched.
Spoiler for this particular part:

I hope teh anime will keep this:P
Old 2009-05-07, 10:26   Link #35
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterSeeker View Post
Speaking of that, I saw the game video of Chapter 16 on Niconico Douga and it's simply the best scene I ever watched.

I don't care what people say about shipping, because at that point, that scene alone puts Faldio far, far, far, far, far behind.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-05-07, 16:12   Link #36
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterSeeker View Post

Yeah that's my favourite scene from the game. I cried the first time I saw it and it still gets me teary on each playthrough.... D=

Old 2009-05-07, 20:20   Link #37
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
I really hope we see that too. It was epic IMO.
Old 2009-05-07, 22:09   Link #38
hamstar
just passing by

Welkin's a biology grad right? He's a bio university grad who took a few courses in combat and so he gets to be military leader. I love how the world works. Actually this is exactly what North America was like pre 1950's i believe. Having a undergrad degree meant you could be hired for pretty much anything. Now having an undergrad degree like biology just means you wont get employed anywhere unless you know someone. That or you can work some minimum wage job if they even hire you.
Old 2009-05-08, 00:27   Link #39
4Tran

While Welkin isn't the most conventional of characters or soldiers, I'm not sure why anyone would have much against him. He may be a little goofy now and then, but he's actually quite capable, and he's already accomplished as much as most mecha protagonists do, and he did so without all the accompanying angst that's so prevalent. Heck, he's been even getting better with his tactics as they've getting less and less gimmicky.

I not drawn to any of the charcters in Valkyria Chronicle in particular, but Welkin is my favorite of the bunch so far. And that's even though his tank doesn't make any sense .

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamstar View Post
Welkin's a biology grad right? He's a bio university grad who took a few courses in combat and so he gets to be military leader. I love how the world works. Actually this is exactly what North America was like pre 1950's i believe.
The proper comparison is with inter-war Germany. Welkin would have recieved the same kind of military training that all young Gallians receive, and his post-secondary education and pedigree are what got him his commission. Given Welkin's personality and interests, it's almost certain that he would have gone on to pursue a graduate degree and stayed in academe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamstar View Post
Having a undergrad degree meant you could be hired for pretty much anything. Now having an undergrad degree like biology just means you wont get employed anywhere unless you know someone. That or you can work some minimum wage job if they even hire you.
Even if it weren't for the above, Welkin does have connections. His father was a very well-respected General, and Gallia is a very militaristic culture.
Old 2009-05-08, 00:42   Link #40
hamstar
just passing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
While Welkin isn't the most conventional of characters or soldiers, I'm not sure why anyone would have much against him. He may be a little goofy now and then, but he's actually quite capable, and he's already accomplished as much as most mecha protagonists do, and he did so without all the accompanying angst that's so prevalent. Heck, he's been even getting better with his tactics as they've getting less and less gimmicky.

I not drawn to any of the charcters in Valkyria Chronicle in particular, but Welkin is my favorite of the bunch so far. And that's even though his tank doesn't make any sense .

The proper comparison is with inter-war Germany. Welkin would have recieved the same kind of military training that all young Gallians receive, and his post-secondary education and pedigree are what got him his commission. Given Welkin's personality and interests, it's almost certain that he would have gone on to pursue a graduate degree and stayed in academe.

Even if it weren't for the above, Welkin does have connections. His father was a very well-respected General, and Gallia is a very militaristic culture.
okay what about welkin's friend? the guy in anthropology, he's a squad leader as well. His dad is no war hero iirc.

dont get me wrong, i never bashed welkin. If anything im bashing the way things are now. Everyone has an undergrad degree now, having a bio or anthro degree is the equivalent of a toilet paper degree today. Not to mention the bio and anthro grads today are much more knowledgeable compared to past academics obviously. Another funny tidbit, bio & anthro degrees used to be 3yrs only now they are 4 yrs.

I just sit in complete awe at what you could do with a degree back in the good ol' days. I never made a mistake really I clearly said pre-1950's so that still stands. I know a guy that had a degree in education in 1950. He went job hunting and when he applied to be a police man (despite no experience) they refused to make him one, instead they offered him to be the head of their police division. My mind explodes.