AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2016-04-02, 02:54   Link #1001
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

"Technically" is the keyword. The only reason Kamachi had to resort to using puns to alter the name of major church sects is to avoid a direct association with the real-life counterpart, something that other works try to avoid by using the "names used are coincidental" clause. Otherwise, I think Kamachi would just use the names of the sects itself.

Personally, I prefer Roman Catholic Church over Crossism because the latter detaches too much from the real world that the Index universe is closely based on.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-02, 05:39   Link #1002
ssjokg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthaeh View Post
^I'd say the official Yen Press translation is on par with the better parts of the fan translation; there were a few parts of the fan TL where the official likely has or will do better (I remember there were some dips in quality on some parts in the fan TL).

The question of whether you'd enjoy reading it is probably just the question of whether you'd enjoy reading the story again at all.

A fair number of terms are different, but I'd guess it's not like either one is really right or wrong in most cases. For example, I believe the fan TL uses the terms Christianity or Christian Church for the JP term 十字教 ("Cross Church") in the original TAMNI books; however, the Yen Press TL translates this as Crossism or Church of the Cross. I believe the Yen Press TL is actually more accurate in some sense, in that the typical JP for Christianity would be キリスト教 ("Christ Church"), so the TAMNI term is intentionally different, though clearly referring to Christianity, so it's not like either choice is really wrong. (disclaimer: I don't actually understand JP, I'm just using my knowledge of the series and google translate, so it's possible something I said isn't perfectly accurate, but I'm reasonably confident)
Thanks, I guess I just need time to get used to the changes. Crossim sounds kinda stupid but it does make sense with their Idol Theory.As for rereading, my only problem would be with volume 11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthaeh View Post
There are a few places I've noticed typos or something that's probably a mistranslation, but I don't think it's too common (no one can be perfect). I've been rereading them; and I find it varies how easy depending on how interested I am in the story (ie it took me forever to reread my least favorite volume, vol 4)
It may sound dumb but, you mean in the official?

Btw, did they license the side stories as well?
ssjokg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-02, 10:26   Link #1003
Cthaeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjokg View Post
It may sound dumb but, you mean in the official?

Btw, did they license the side stories as well?
Yes, I do mean in the Yen Press version. But I don't hold that against them, since no one is perfect and it's not often enough to detract from my enjoyment (maybe I notice between 0 and 2 instances per volume). I expect there were still more typos in the fan tl on average, but it's not like I have statistics.

No, I don't think they licensed any of the side stories. (Any side stories that have been removed from fan TL sites were done so due to a notice from the JP publisher, not Yen Press.)
Cthaeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-02, 10:42   Link #1004
KnightShade

Quote:
Originally Posted by c933103 View Post
It is the terminology used by author and hence technically correct. If you strictly follow the original story cannon, the fans translation we getting used to would be more incorrect.
maybe the first 12 or so but not the stuff j206 does. and even then it's hard to argue something that removes honorifics and localizes names, places ect is somehow more cannonically correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
"Technically" is the keyword. The only reason Kamachi had to resort to using puns to alter the name of major church sects is to avoid a direct association with the real-life counterpart, something that other works try to avoid by using the "names used are coincidental" clause. Otherwise, I think Kamachi would just use the names of the sects itself.

Personally, I prefer Roman Catholic Church over Crossism because the latter detaches too much from the real world that the Index universe is closely based on.
me too. the later term just seems like a pointless change as you can't remove all the parallels to the catholic church for the sake of being PC.... but then again i wouldn't put that past YP.
KnightShade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-02, 11:01   Link #1005
ssjokg

I see.Thanks again.

I will try the first two volumes.
ssjokg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-02, 11:45   Link #1006
Hiss13
No time to sleep, 不幸だ

I think Yen Press is trying to keep the church names consistent with the subheadings for the chapter titles in OT7 where the Anglican Church is referred to the English Puritan Church and the Roman Catholic Church is referred to as the Roman Orthodox Church.
Old 2016-04-14, 16:53   Link #1007
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I forgot to ask this earlier, but what does Kadokawa buying up Yen Press means for the rest of us?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-14, 19:02   Link #1008
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Sad to say, but even if Yen Press had decided to spare NT, Kadokawa can just hit everything Kamachi with a DMCA notice since they are an entirely different entity from YP.

I'm already building up an archive of some of the remaining stuff, because we won't know when the next big one will hit.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.

Last edited by Marcus H.; 2016-04-14 at 19:33.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-14, 19:36   Link #1009
c933103
FTNR

Kadokawa can always do this..
c933103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-25, 19:14   Link #1010
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Vol 7 has been delayed till June.
Old 2016-04-26, 01:40   Link #1011
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Hmm, new release date for Volume 7 is June 28. Coincidentally or not, the same release date for Railgun Volume 11.
Old 2016-04-26, 05:06   Link #1012
dragon1412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I forgot to ask this earlier, but what does Kadokawa buying up Yen Press means for the rest of us?
Nothing really, Kadokawa has already hit many title without a chance to ever got published in English, Yp picking it up might quicken the process, but Kadokawa can always just DCMA us unless we do something about DCMA server altogether
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-26, 08:01   Link #1013
Hiss13
No time to sleep, 不幸だ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
Hmm, new release date for Volume 7 is June 28. Coincidentally or not, the same release date for Railgun Volume 11.
Perfect. Two books in one trip to the bookstor--

Wait...June 28th...the same day Zero Time Dilemma gets released...Great...now which to prioritize?
Old 2016-07-30, 23:19   Link #1014
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Question- is the Index manga being localized in by Yen Press as well?

I've just checked in my local kinokuniya for the first time since the localization announcements and I still can't find a single Index English Manga.

Thankfully though I did find the English LNs, up to 7.
Old 2016-07-30, 23:28   Link #1015
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Yup it is.
ACertainStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-31, 02:35   Link #1016
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Then I have no clue why there aren't any Index manga lol
Old 2017-10-21, 17:46   Link #1017
Hiss13
No time to sleep, 不幸だ

Gonna bring back this thread for a relevant question.

Is SS1 being released at all? OT13's being released in November and OT14 (Best gril) is being released in February. Has anyone seen anything about SS1?
Old 2017-10-21, 18:24   Link #1018
Seafoam
『Lolimancer』
*Graphic Designer

Nope, so Hamazura's introduction is probably gonna be weird as hell in OT15.
Seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-23, 00:17   Link #1019
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafoam View Post
Nope, so Hamazura's introduction is probably gonna be weird as hell in OT15.
What exactly are they thinking...?

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-21, 10:51   Link #1020
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Yen Press is printing an OT omnibus, with both side stories included!

They even call it Old testament themselves, which make me wonder if NT is on the horizon?

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote