My father who worked in the USA for three years once suggested me

Never talk to an American about politics,
they get really furious at this stuff.

I think I will follow this advice
samir85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-14, 18:48   Link #122
NenMaster

so me telling all the flamers to shut up will get this closed? maybe

neway this has ended so no more from me.
NenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-14, 19:03   Link #123
Dark Zero

Send a message via AIM to Dark Zero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus
To you itīs Soccer, to the rest of the world itīs fotboll, thereīs a reason why fotboll gets the prefix "american" every where else in the world when weīre talking about NFL and such. You stole our word!

I said "futebol" did I not? I jsut mentioned soccer as an alternative word. I'm Portuguese, natuarlized american citizen, currently residing in USA. I prefer using "futebol" thank you very much. And soccer just doesn't have the same style as true futebol, don't ask me why, just something about it.
Dark Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-14, 19:03   Link #124
p3psi
Oscar winning black actor

general consensus of this thread, three points:

Every country other than USA dislikes or hates USA
Japan Rated highly among posters, which isnt surpirsing considering this is an anime forum
USA Stupid president. HEy, we didnt even elect him, AL gore had 1 million more popular votes. (the electoral college basically states that 1 vote form a small state like Rhode island is worth a heck of a lot less than one from Texas or California, even though this isnt how its suppose to be, but it is) And G.W. called in a favor to this brother JEB to F#$K up the recount in Florida.
p3psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-14, 19:16   Link #125
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

Aah...Japan..how can i forget that mighty country...land of gundams...home of godzilla and other monsters that are and/or will eventually get killed by godzilla...also home to many different anime chars, each with their own little differences...

Originators of Anime and manga...the best stuff on earth ^_^

btw Nenmaster...i wasn't saying you telling flamers to shut up will get threads closed...i was saying that you getting into the middle of a flame war when your not involved will only lead to more flaming...in which it will lead to a never ending flame war...if people are goign at it..it's best to leave them alone...no point in jumping in the middle and have it keep going...it's like adding fuel to the fire...but either way...yes it ended...no we can all move on with our lives.
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-14, 19:31   Link #126
NenMaster

ok, no problem
NenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-15, 06:06   Link #127
Arthell
Inactive Member

Thats a pretty narrow view on WW1&2, dragonz20.

Germany was sucked dry by the allies during/after WW1 because everybody was in debt. In alot of cases (such as Britain) countries had borrowed money from the US. Wilson had wanted to enter the war, but the US people were happy with isolationism and wanted no part to do with Europe and it's war. Britain, etc. had to pay back the US once Germany was defeated, and what better way than to set up reperations on your former enemy? Britain didnt want Germany to be weak, however. They wanted the exact opposite : an industrial strong country which the rest of Europe could trade with. France, on the other hand, would have dismembered Germany so that it never existed if they had their way, which you cant blame them for. Germany had destroyed France, coming within miles of Paris, and harmed/killed millions of their citizens. Im sure you would think the same of Japan if they had invaded California, which was part of Japan's original plan.

Hitler could have invaded Britain and ended up controlling Europe earlier in WW2 if he had invaded right after Dunkirk (British army evacuates France to Britain, leaving behind all their weapons, vehicles, etc.). The only standing, armed, army in Britain at the time were all the Canadian troops, most of which hadnt seen front-line combat yet.

Later on the Allies staged a full-fledged invasion of France, and no, it wasn't D-Day. Those Canadian troops in Britain volunteered to invade Dieppe. It was a complete and utter failure, as the troops who got to the beach were simply trapped under the German defences. Tanks got stuck in the sand, etc. If that invasion hadn't occured so that the Allies could learn from it just think of what D-Day would have been like ...

With something more related, D-day itself. Five beaches were attacked, 2 American, 2 British and 1 Canadian. The American beaches were completely done by the US, while the British and Canadian beaches were done together. In the end, the British/Canadians captured much more territory than the US did, and they were both doing it seperatly. This alone shows that the allies did have the power to invade France alone, the question is whether or not the Allies could have fought the Germans all the way back to Berlin. Instinct says no, but i dont know much about the strengths, etc. We will never know, since it never happened.

Basically, history is full of 'What If' 's. If Hitler hadnt of made some of the horrible mistakes that he did, Britain would have fallen and we might all be speaking German right now, who knows. If the commander of the Japanese Navy that attacked Pearl Harbor hadn't stopped his pilots from resuming the attack (he was afraid the US navy would stumble upon the defensless carriers with there planes gone) Japan probably could have gone on with their original plans and invaded Australia, New Zealand, and California. If that same commander hadn't sent 4/6 of his carriers ahead of his main invasion fleet of 190 ships (compared to the US's 70-90 or so) they could have won the Pacific war.

Now to go back to the original topic ...

I base alot of countries on their past history and government, so the military/political parts stand out.

Britain - World empire that was broken in WW1. Lots to be proud of. First concentration camps (not death camps ...)
Russia - Lots of turmoil, patriotic, Stalin, communism, Stalingrad
Japan - Aggressive, committed atrocities, controlled 1/7th of the world, still not taking responsibility for WW2 atrocities, Inhumanely attacked by US
US - 100% Capitalist, patriotic, people prefer isolationism from the world, hypocrits (League of Nations, United Nations), have commited their own massive atrocities (Hiroshima/Nagasaki)
France - patriotic, usually the first line of defence
Germany - little guy that keeps getting pushed down, people constantly getting exploited
Poland - quick and aggressive little buggers
Czechoslovakia - red-headed step child of the world (was eaten up by everyone surrounding her while the world turned a blind eye)
Italy - Lovers not Fighters
Canada - Still young, "parents" couldnt care less for them, large because like Russia nobody wants to lay claim to the cold north , government usually tries to please everybody (not good most of the time)
Arthell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-15, 13:01   Link #128
dragonz20
Cantonese Dimples

Send a message via AIM to dragonz20
You have some good points but:

1. Regardless of what Britain intended of doing, the plain of the matter of fact is, they joined the rest of Europe in raping Germany after WW1. And i very well knew that the reparations also included loans from the US. and i don't see anything wrong with the fact that the loser(s) of the war should pay reparations to the winners. But in thr end, you've just proven to me that it was indeed the rest of Europe that "bankrupted" Germany to the point where everyone was desperate enuff to follow a lunatic like Hitler.

2. I know of Dieppe. and yes, you are right, it was an utter failure. The Allies lost more than 1,000 troops and another 2,000 were captured and the Germans lost about 300. it was a lesson learned indeed but it was still in the end a failure... just as big a failure as france trying to stop germany from invading their own homeland. I am not going to take away the courage of those soldiers that sacrificed their lives in that battle though. the germans were full of praises from all the accounts i've read back then on how courageous those canadians and british were.

3. Your recount of the D-Day was accurate. might i add a few more things about it? out of all the beaches that were stormed, omaha beach was the only one that met the heaviest of all the oppositions (some German division that was hailed as one of the best). omaha was eventually taken by the American forces but the price they paid was enormous. All the other beaches were easily taken (compared to Omaha) and all met very light resistance. The Americans also knew about this eventual slaughter and US leaders PICKED to take this beach. This alone speaks volumes about the sacrifice that Americans made (the commanders who made the choices and the soldiers who went).

4. you also failed to include the American airborne divisions (101st and 82nd) that were dropped inside a VERY hostile France. Without their help in wrecking havoc inside enemy lines, Germany might have staged a very good front inside France and repelled the Allies. what is the point of taking a beach if you can't keep it?... and D-Day included all the ships and warplanes that the US brought. You didn't even account the extra transportation that was needed and the extra warplanes that bombed the Germans. D-Day was a TOTAL effort that quite frankly could NEVER have been accomplished without US support...

5. There is no doubt that history can be recounted with full of what ifs... Rumors had that Hitler rejected a very powerful and efficient motor which would have powered their aircrafts early in the war (reason unknown). the motor worked and had he not rejected it, Germany would have OWNED the air and thus the war. But what I am saying is that there is NO WAY the Allies could have taken Europe without US help. Just not enough weapons and manpower...

your points are good but they never did counter what i posted earlier. i generalized a lot of things but we're off-topic anyway so i didn't wanna drag it out earlier. i am still right about my points so no.. i don't think i have a narrow view of the war. u are more than welcome to try again though.

ON-topic:

ran out of countries (can't think of right now) so i am doing the regions of the US:

Northeast (NY,NJ,MA, etc..) - We got hot summer days and cold snowy winters. land of the original 13 colonies. lots of history.

South (FL, VA, NC, SC, etc..) - they know how to eat thus good food... know for their hospitality. like to drag out their words and thus they have a crazy "southern" accent. i think they like to eat squirrels too...

Central - bunch of farmlands. no one wants to live there (at least i don't). cheap housing (because no one wants to live there)...

Pacific (CA, TX, etc..) - warm all year around. food is awesome!. real expensive to live there though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthell
Thats a pretty narrow view on WW1&2, dragonz20.

Germany was sucked dry by the allies during/after WW1 because everybody was in debt. In alot of cases (such as Britain) countries had borrowed money from the US. Wilson had wanted to enter the war, but the US people were happy with isolationism and wanted no part to do with Europe and it's war. Britain, etc. had to pay back the US once Germany was defeated, and what better way than to set up reperations on your former enemy? Britain didnt want Germany to be weak, however. They wanted the exact opposite : an industrial strong country which the rest of Europe could trade with. France, on the other hand, would have dismembered Germany so that it never existed if they had their way, which you cant blame them for. Germany had destroyed France, coming within miles of Paris, and harmed/killed millions of their citizens. Im sure you would think the same of Japan if they had invaded California, which was part of Japan's original plan.

Hitler could have invaded Britain and ended up controlling Europe earlier in WW2 if he had invaded right after Dunkirk (British army evacuates France to Britain, leaving behind all their weapons, vehicles, etc.). The only standing, armed, army in Britain at the time were all the Canadian troops, most of which hadnt seen front-line combat yet.

Later on the Allies staged a full-fledged invasion of France, and no, it wasn't D-Day. Those Canadian troops in Britain volunteered to invade Dieppe. It was a complete and utter failure, as the troops who got to the beach were simply trapped under the German defences. Tanks got stuck in the sand, etc. If that invasion hadn't occured so that the Allies could learn from it just think of what D-Day would have been like ...

With something more related, D-day itself. Five beaches were attacked, 2 American, 2 British and 1 Canadian. The American beaches were completely done by the US, while the British and Canadian beaches were done together. In the end, the British/Canadians captured much more territory than the US did, and they were both doing it seperatly. This alone shows that the allies did have the power to invade France alone, the question is whether or not the Allies could have fought the Germans all the way back to Berlin. Instinct says no, but i dont know much about the strengths, etc. We will never know, since it never happened.

Basically, history is full of 'What If' 's. If Hitler hadnt of made some of the horrible mistakes that he did, Britain would have fallen and we might all be speaking German right now, who knows. If the commander of the Japanese Navy that attacked Pearl Harbor hadn't stopped his pilots from resuming the attack (he was afraid the US navy would stumble upon the defensless carriers with there planes gone) Japan probably could have gone on with their original plans and invaded Australia, New Zealand, and California. If that same commander hadn't sent 4/6 of his carriers ahead of his main invasion fleet of 190 ships (compared to the US's 70-90 or so) they could have won the Pacific war.

Now to go back to the original topic ...

I base alot of countries on their past history and government, so the military/political parts stand out.

Britain - World empire that was broken in WW1. Lots to be proud of. First concentration camps (not death camps ...)
Russia - Lots of turmoil, patriotic, Stalin, communism, Stalingrad
Japan - Aggressive, committed atrocities, controlled 1/7th of the world, still not taking responsibility for WW2 atrocities, Inhumanely attacked by US
US - 100% Capitalist, patriotic, people prefer isolationism from the world, hypocrits (League of Nations, United Nations), have commited their own massive atrocities (Hiroshima/Nagasaki)
France - patriotic, usually the first line of defence
Germany - little guy that keeps getting pushed down, people constantly getting exploited
Poland - quick and aggressive little buggers
Czechoslovakia - red-headed step child of the world (was eaten up by everyone surrounding her while the world turned a blind eye)
Italy - Lovers not Fighters
Canada - Still young, "parents" couldnt care less for them, large because like Russia nobody wants to lay claim to the cold north , government usually tries to please everybody (not good most of the time)
dragonz20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-15, 19:08   Link #129
herik

Send a message via ICQ to herik
trying to answer the topic with my english

usa - good people, but selfish government. oh, so they did good things? ok, but only when they could take advantages
britain - punctuality, tea, used to be the bad guys before usa
italy - mafia, pasta
portugal - not so smart ppl lol (the same idea usa ppl have from canadians)
switzerland - milk, banks, alpes
greece - saint seiya =D
japan - anime, games, nerds (hehe) , fashion, castles, samurais, and some more good things
mexico - spice, hats, astecs
australia - kangoroooooos, koalas and beaches
brazil - soccer, amazon
herik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-15, 20:05   Link #130
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

Australia - Crocodile Dundee , can be extremely friendly, have a strangely appealing accent

Germany - Country of Origin of Volkswagen...and my favorite VW Golf ^_^

China - where many things are made....whether they be non bootleg...or bootleg...also has an extremely large population for the space it has

Quote:
Originally Posted by herik
portugal - not so smart ppl lol (the same idea usa ppl have from canadians)
Where's Dark Zero? It's time to teach you not to mess with us...lol, j/k
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-15, 21:48   Link #131
Silent Spring
Sealab Captain

In a little while it won't matter what we think of any country anymore, everyone will be the same, globilization is inevitable.
Silent Spring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-16, 22:48   Link #132
Arthell
Inactive Member

I didnt expect to change your mind (doing so to anyone is usually fruitless, plus pointless) but i still stand by my view. There were also British airborne divisions, but like i said the "What If" 's come into play. After D-Day the Canadian troops liberated the Netherlands alone while the other Allied troops went after central Europe. The thing im just trying to get across is that while the Americans did help immensly to the invasion, it could have been carried out by the Allies without them. Whether or not it ended up as a success is another story, but considering how the Eastern front was you cant really predict what would have happened.

Theres another one ... if Germany had won on the Eastern front, or a treaty was signed allowing the majority of the German army to go to the Western front ...
Arthell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-17, 00:49   Link #133
Dark Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchop
Australia - Crocodile Dundee , can be extremely friendly, have a strangely appealing accent

Germany - Country of Origin of Volkswagen...and my favorite VW Golf ^_^

China - where many things are made....whether they be non bootleg...or bootleg...also has an extremely large population for the space it has

Where's Dark Zero? It's time to teach you not to mess with us...lol, j/k
You don't want to get me started.....
Old 2003-11-17, 01:01   Link #134
Cammie
Smooth and Curvy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammie
Ok! If you think that then why post? BTW how old are you? You put yourself in a situation that you can not possilbly get out of! Maybe, I need to give you a US history lesson. Whats wrong of being proud!

Dark Zero, I just want to apologize for the previous comment I made to you!
Its all good! Right?

Again, I'm sorry!
Cammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-17, 01:03   Link #135
Dark Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammie
Dark Zero, I just want to apologize for the previous comment I made to you!
Its all good! Right?

Again, I'm sorry!

Ya sure, there's no problem. It was all in jest anyway. ^_^